PDA

View Full Version : If you found out you were HIV+

Kazimiera
02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
If you found out you were diagnosed with HIV, what would you do?

Whether you know where you got it from or not is besides the point. Perhaps sexually transmitted, a blood transfusion, or you just plain and simple don't know.

You go for a test, they tell you you're positive. They redo the test and the answer is true.

Tyfani
02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Ahm.. don't know... first visit the hall of the town and ask for the money that I can take each month as a person with HIV... Then... probably go cry, accept and try spend my days without infecting others :p

SILNI
02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Get a rope for myself.

Slycooper
02-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Kill myself.

Pallantides
02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Infect others and create a zombie outbreak... oh wait different disease.

Graham
02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Get on with life, to the best you can do.

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Prepare the list of people I want to bite (That was for rabies originally but it works in this case too)

Aredhel
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
First I'd be very sad but finally I'd accept my illness and I'd try to follow a normal life you can't get stuck.

Smaug
02-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Short but wise :thumb001:

Smaug
02-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Prepare the list of people I want to bite (That was for rabies originally but it works in this case too)

That's a good idea as well :P

rhiannon
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Drug cocktails have come a long way in the past 20 years or so. I'd be less freaked out about it now than had I gotten the diagnosis in the 90s.

Caismeachd
02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Take the proper meds but also research alternate therapies. Join a community for people that have it I guess.

In the 80's if you were a hetero male and had AIDs they automatically assumed you were gay and put you into special treatment centers exclusively for gay males. Now that would have sucked.

Graham
02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
In the 80's if you were a hetero male and had AIDs they automatically assumed you were gay and put you into special treatment centers exclusively for gay males. Now that would have sucked.

Edinburgh had bad problems with AIDS in the 'eighties'. It was widely known to come from Drug addicts who injected and shared needles.

Caismeachd
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I remember a guy giving a seminar about trying to live quality life and he was diagnosed AIDs in the early 80s. He got it from drugs, but said when he went to get treatment they assumed he was gay and in order to get medical help he had to goto a gay treatment center. I think it wasn't known until later on in the 80's that it wasn't just a gay disease.

Stefan
02-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Live my life with the huge inconvenience it would cause (albeit the life expectancy is quite high now compared to what it was.) Then I'd invest money into research where I can. Sooner or later they should find a treatment that will possibly make life normal.

The Alchemist
02-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd live with intensity every single second of my life, being probably even more aware that life is a miracle.

Lobotomist
02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Live my life, do extreme things.

Graus
02-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Move to Africa

Austo
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM
... nothing

alfieb
02-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Find out who infected me, make their life miserable.

AlexandraD
02-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Edinburgh had bad problems with AIDS in the 'eighties'. It was widely known to come from Drug addicts who injected and shared needles.

http://cache.reelzchannel.com/assets/content/blogimages/trainspotting-200.jpg

graham, i dinnae whit yin talkin oot yer fanny lips, faekin coont

Farah
02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd be depressed and shocked initially ofcourse, but then you have to absorb it and live on, there's no need to be a living corpse. I don't believe it would be fair to yourself to give up when we see patients with the most painful forms of cancer for e.g., still smiling and determined to live. When you think of such a scenario, you think you can't possibly live but in reality with a bit of self-control, you probably would adapt to it and just live as many of the days you're given.

Graham
02-14-2013, 09:19 PM
graham, i dinnae whit yin talkin oot yer fanny lips, faekin coont
Good Mike Myers impersonation there. :P

larali
02-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't think I'd be too upset. A family member of mine lived many years with HIV until he finally succumbed. I don't know, maybe I'm a nihilist but death does not really scare me that much... I've already lived longer than most women did 150 years ago.

On a more serious note, I would put my HIV in a piece of candy and send it to someone I hate. Like Kwestos.

alfieb
02-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I think the average lifespan thing is a bit exaggerated. Those figures included kids, and half the kids didn't live to adulthood. You're nowhere near "old". I'd imagine that in the 1860s, most women made it to your age and then some.

larali
02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I think the average lifespan thing is a bit exaggerated. Those figures included kids, and half the kids didn't live to adulthood. You're nowhere near "old". I'd imagine that in the 1860s, most women made it to your age and then some.

Well... 150 years ago I'd already be dead, because modern medicine has saved my life several times. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

kwestos
02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't think I'd be too upset. A family member of mine lived many years with HIV until he finally succumbed. I don't know, maybe I'm a nihilist but death does not really scare me that much... I've already lived longer than most women did 150 years ago.

On a more serious note, I would put my HIV in a piece of candy and send it to someone I hate. Like Kwestos.

Thanks love! I received the candy.

AlexandraD
02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks love! I received the candy.

im not sure if you can contract HIV via ingesting candy with the virus, i would think you wouldn't (and the virus may be destroyed by stomach acids even if you could absorb it) but i DO know if you rubbed said peice of candy on an open wound you are totally fucked :P hope that didnt happen :O

larali
02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I think he died :/

kwestos
02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I think he died :/

Yes he did, but he already resurected.

Wadaad
02-15-2013, 09:59 AM

LOL you stoic fuk...

Lemon Kush
02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I'd move to Somalia to live amongst my people.

Graham
02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
LOL you stoic fuk...

I missed out day one, where I cry like a baby & punch walls. Stoicism comes after day two.

Heart of Oak
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
In answer to your question, first i would ask for a 12 month plan of interfearon an the little red pills they give to people with this affliction, i would try that, gives you hope for a year whilst you come to terms with the information:
I already consider myself dead, its something i learned on different battlefields around the world, in crissis consider yourself dead as then you loss your fear of death, an you can function without fear....
I would then get on with my life as best I could....

Fortis in Arduis
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I would consult Jacob Zuma and follow his advice; rape a baby, get circumcised, eat some beetroot, take a shower...

Kazimiera
02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I would consult Jacob Zuma and follow his advice; rape a baby, get circumcised, eat some beetroot, take a shower...

I have to spring to Jacob's defense here.

It was the Minister of Health at the time, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma (not Jacob) who said you should eat beetroot. But as she is his ex-wife, maybe he taught her about it.

Partizan
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I'd find a rifle, train myself, find an uniform, than I would be a Turkish Partizan in Eastern Anatolian mountains against PKK. Perhaps I would join Turkmen brigades of FSA in Syria too. If I'd die on action, I will be known as a martyr. If I die due to AIDS, unless someone does autopsy, I will be known as a victim of an illness, due to hard conditions of war.

"Death is not being defeated, it is rising your fame!"-Hüseyin Nihal Atsız
(Ölmek yenilmek değil, yüceltmektir şanını!)

Tyfani
02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I'd find a rifle, train myself, find an uniform, than I would be a Turkish Partizan in Eastern Anatolian mountains against PKK. Perhaps I would join Turkmen brigades of FSA in Syria too. If I'd die on action, I will be known as a martyr. If I die due to AIDS, unless someone does autopsy, I will be known as a victim of an illness, due to hard conditions of war.

all about posthumous fame, right? :p

Heart of Oak
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
you know if you what to be a martyr, die for a GOOD cause....
make a difference....
be known as the one that changed something, its a good way to die especially if your name is remembered in a good way, you make a difference an you have nothing to lose anyway because your dieing an have lost your will or right to live....

RussiaPrussia
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Find out who infected me, make their life miserable.

their? is that your sexlife :P

RussiaPrussia
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM

or you could try to study medicine and try to help people instead killing them :rolleyes:

Partizan
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
all about posthumous fame, right? :p

Yeah, I don't want to be remembered as "some bloke who died because of unprotected sex", since a death from AIDS will be considered as that. I can't imagine my family trying to explain it to their relatives and neighbours, I can't leave such a burden to their shoulders. Moreover, if my death is certain, I want to be useful before dying. I could do other things than warfare as well but for example if I focus on my academic life, I can leave a half-written thesis in after me. But warfare thing is not like that.

Partizan
02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
or you could try to study medicine and try to help people instead killing them :rolleyes:

A historian studying medicine? It will take at least 7 years :p So, fighting for motherland and making the difference is something better.