PDA

View Full Version : Last names in Bosnia

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Inspired by the thread in the Serbian forum about Serbian -ic names, let's talk a bit about Bosnian/Bosniak surnames.

What I've noticed is that a startling amount of surnames in the Herzegovina region doesn't end with -ic. Bubalo, Plakalo, Polovina, Humo, Kotlo, Peljto, are all names that are common there and would stand out otherwise in Bosnia.

Why do you think that is?

Corvus
02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Slavicised Turkish names like Osmanovic, Ibrahimovic, Turkovic, Ahmedovic, Muslimovic,
That`s what I noticed

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Slavicised Turkish names like Osmanovic, Ibrahimovic, Turkovic, Ahmedovic, Muslimovic,
That`s what I noticed

Oh FFS you guys and your Turk obsession :rolleyes: Ahmed, Ibrahim, Muslim aren't by any strength of the imagination Turkish names, but general arabic ones.

Duke
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Inspired by the thread in the Serbian forum about Serbian -ic names, let's talk a bit about Bosnian/Bosniak surnames.

What I've noticed is that a startling amount of surnames in the Herzegovina region doesn't end with -ic. Bubalo, Plakalo, Polovina, Humo, Kotlo, Peljto, are all names that are common there and would stand out otherwise in Bosnia.

Why do you think that is?

those are Croatian surnames.

Since we had Surnames much before Serbs and Bosniaks, they were created in varius ways, from nicknames, family clans...etc

Corvus
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh FFS you guys and your Turk obsession :rolleyes: Ahmed, Ibrahim, Muslim aren't by any strength of the imagination Turkish names, but general arabic ones.

I am not obsessed by Turks but this is what I have noticed.
Bosnia is a long term Turkish province and this has left a mark.

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Since we had Surnames much before Serbs and Bosniaks, they were created in varius ways, from nicknames, family clans...etc

Actually I just did a quick facebook search and it seems almost all of these names are only found with Bosniaks. There were some Croat Bubalo's and some Serb Polovina's, but that's it.

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I am not obsessed by Turks but this is what I have noticed.
Bosnia is a long term Turkish province and this has left a mark.

Well, the -ic suffix drew on personal names, and as personal names among Bosniaks were/are oriental then it's quite natural that there will be a lot of Ibrahimovic's and Ahmetovic's out there.

Methmatician
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Most surnames in BiH end in -ić or -ović/ević. Other, less common, suffixes are enko, ov/ev, ac, aš, anin, in, ko, and ina. I'm not aware of any regional differences in surnames though.

Corvus
02-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, the -ic suffix drew on personal names, and as personal names among Bosniaks were/are oriental then it's quite natural that there will be a lot of Ibrahimovic's and Ahmetovic's out there.

It is a patronym I know it. Well Bosnia is still very Turkish influenced, apart from the language and names reflect that

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Most surnames in BiH end in -ić or -ović/ević. Other, less common, suffixes are enko, ov/ev, ac, aš, anin, in, ko, and ina. I'm not aware of any regional differences in surnames though.

As I said, the Herzegovina region clearly stands out as the least "ic-ified" region.
One interesting surname is Zaklan.

It makes for humorous signs:

http://www.vesti-online.com/data/images/2012-04-11/231090_fotografija1334138660148552_f.jpg?ver=13341 54080

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Another interesting thing is when people have surnames that are strikingly atypical for their ethnic group. Catholic Croats named Arapovic spring to mind, as well as Serbs named Hadzic (Goran Hadzic for instance).

Or Bosniaks with names like Obradovic and Brankovic.

Methmatician
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
as well as Serbs named Hadzic (Goran Hadzic for instance).

Christians went on a pilgrimage as well, and that's how they got that name. Hadž=Hajj

Or Bosniaks with names like Obradovic and Brankovic.

These are Slavs who converted to Islam sometime in the past 150-200 years. Or descendants of nobles who didn't change their surname.

Hurrem sultana
02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
It is a patronym I know it. Well Bosnia is still very Turkish influenced, apart from the language and names reflect that

Yes we are of course,since we are muslim

Hurrem sultana
02-10-2013, 01:15 PM
One funny thing is that some croat have the last name Bosnjak,while Bosniaks have Hrvat :D

Bosnjakinja
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
One funny thing is that some croat have the last name Bosnjak,while Bosniaks have Hrvat :D

Yes, I remember reading an article in Oslobodjenje about two policemen in Bugojno I think, Zeljko Bosnjak and Emir Hrvat:p

kvarc
02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

you had nothing before the Serbs :cool: