PDA

View Full Version : Insanity, genius and mediocrity

Panopticon
02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
This post discusses some psychological phenomenons and weaves into it some philosophical thoughts.

Insanity often elevates individuals to the status of gods among men. Nietzsche, Tesla, Newton, Socrates, Byron, Nash and so forever on. There are those who have better things to do than to fit the plebeian rules of social etiquette and goodthink, and then there are those who are perfectly ordinary, but nothing more than ordinary.

I would argue that eccentrics and madmen are rarely -- if ever -- ordinary. And that goes along with the concepts of eccentricity and madness like hand in glove. Thus, they are either geniuses or idiots. This has made me wonder whether insanity and genius are simply two sides of the same coin. Do they have more in common with each other than with regular people? And should one therefore perhaps by all means avoid mediocrity (if one wants to elevate oneself)?

Discuss.

Clawgauth
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't know too much about it but I know something between de serial killer and the artist:

The serial killer and the artist makes the same mental process, one to create a painting (expecially figurative art, not architecture) and one to kill someone.

Phases:

Auroral phase: when an artist is full of fantasies about his new creation, he need to create something, like the a serial killer when he start thinking about an homicide, he need to kill, in this phase the two evade from the real world, obscured by theyr fantasy

tracking phase: the artist start thinking in a compulsive way about his subject, same the serial killer, he choose his victim, driven by his compulsion and fantastications.

Seduction phase: minor phase. The artist can imagine his success (money, newspaper, ''like'' on facebook or deviantart) he want to find a ''contact'' with the public, and the s.k. start his modus operandi, he will try to approach his victims (sure,not only with typical ''seduction''). Often he can think also to the newspaper,after the homicide

Capture phase: the artist choose his instruments (brushes,digital paintings,watercolor,oil ecc.) the murderer choose his tools.

Homicidal phase/creation phase: the artist make his art and the killer make his murder. Both, consciously or unconsciously, left their style behind. The fantasies become reality

Totemic phase: the artist will continue to watch his creation or remember it with photos. The serial killer take trophies, he will remember his victims by his trophies. The artist want to show his art, sometimes, the killer too. He can leave the body in a public place

Depression phase: the artist watch his art, he start thinking that he could create better things. He will fall in a depression mental state , same the killers. And the fantasies start again...

from the book ''Omicida e artista le due facce del serial killer by the Doc.Ruben DeLuca