PDA

View Full Version : Are you Sweaty Socks Germanic?

Beorn
08-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Inspired by a thread on some Neo-Nazi backwater forum.

Do you Scots consider yourself Germanic?, Celtic?, Celto-Germanic?, Scottish?....etc...?

Paleo
08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Inspired by a thread on some Neo-Nazi backwater forum.

Do you Scots consider yourself Germanic?, Celtic?, Celto-Germanic?, Scottish?....etc...?

well, based on what i know, the name "Scottish" covered lots of ethnic groups in Scotland: Gaels, Pict's, vikings, Normans, Angles......etc, all became "Scottish" when they unified (or loosely confederated, more likely), so "Scottish" is a very broad term.

but, to get into more detailed ethnic identities, i would say (short of a DNA test) with a good search in your family history/clan history....etc, you can determine your ethic group's.

my fathers side: the Maclaren clan, Gaels.
(i have recent Irish-blood in their too, but that it for my dad)
http://www.clanmaclarenna.org/
http://www.scotsconnection.com/clan_crests/MacLaren.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacLaren
http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/ClanMacLaren.html
http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/maclare2.html

my mothers side: Boers, dutch/German/norwegian, all Germanic .
(dont need much proof of that)

so, i consider myself "celto-germanic", but i might change it to "Norse-Celt", or something so it sounds better. (or because it just needs changing)

Barreldriver
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I consider myself Germanic, why? Because I speak English, a Germanic language, most of my ancestry is English, followed by German, sooooo Germanic ftw. Those little Celtic dribbles are not worth much mention in terms of identity and who I am.

Though I do fancy Celtic myths/tales.

Loyalist
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Celto-Germanic; my ancestry includes both Highlanders (from the Sutherland and Caithness regions) and Lowlanders (from Fife and Ayrshire), with some of the latter settling in Ulster. I believe the balance, as it concerns both myself and the Scots as a whole, is tipped in favour of Germanic blood. The Highlanders have absorbed a significant degree of Germanic input from Norse invaders, in addition to that which originates from Anglo-Saxon, Norman, and Flemish settlement throughout the land. Of course Celtic admixture is a key element in modern Scottish identity, both ethnically and culturally, and for that reason it seems that the Scots are a textbook Celto-Germanic group. A simple examination of the history of migration to Scotland, the Scots language, and other related topics clearly shoots down the Celtic-only theories peddled by the SNP and Stirpes members.

Murphy
08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
You'll find most Scots—Scots living in Scotland—don't give a damn about 'Celts' and 'Germanics'. I suppose that has something to do with the fact that being 'Celtic' or 'Germanic' doesn't actually matter in the real world.

Regards,
Eóin.

Poltergeist
08-17-2009, 08:57 PM
They are Finno-Ugrics.

Germanicus
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
This a good thread, Mrs Germanicus is half Scottish, so i have asked her the Question.
She says she considers herself Celtic. Her maiden name is the 15th most common in Scotland. Her fathers family come from Alloa.

Graham
10-31-2009, 10:14 PM
well you've got a decent amount of norse from the islands. Somerled has a huge amount of descendants and he was a norse gael.
my great gran come's fae shetland but had a celtic surname :P

Scotland's population has moved about so much over the centuries,

This a good thread, Mrs Germanicus is half Scottish, so i have asked her the Question.
She says she considers herself Celtic. Her maiden name is the 15th most common in Scotland. Her fathers family come from Alloa.

That's right aff the kincardine bridge, I know that area. Got family In airth which is right next door

Trog
11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I consider myself Germanic, why? Because I speak English, a Germanic language, most of my ancestry is English, followed by German, sooooo Germanic ftw. Those little Celtic dribbles are not worth much mention in terms of identity and who I am.

Though I do fancy Celtic myths/tales.

What are you doing? You're not Scottish. Smelly sock=jock=Scot.

Trog
11-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Some historians dismiss the idea of a 'Celtic' invasion of Britain, thus, we are not Celts at all. But it is a term that seems to work, regardless of its opponents.

So I see myself as being composed of completely Celtic heritage and I see no reason to acknowledge what I consider to be a foreign and hostile influence which may or may not be there, as explored in various studies.

Allenson
11-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Some historians dismiss the idea of a 'Celtic' invasion of Britain, thus, we are not Celts at all. But it is a term that seems to work, regardless of its opponents.

From a genetic standpoint, the question posed here is a bit up in the air at the moment. Just a couple of years ago, the answer would have been a resounding no regarding a mass migration of continental Celtic speakers to the Isles. Today though, many would argue that something along those lines must have happened, particularly amongst male lineages. All of this is based on the dating of the major Y-chromosome haplogroup of the Isles, R1b.

My opinon is a little fuzzy but I have to believe that a fair few Celtic speakers from the Continent must have showed up on Britain's shores and settled for the language to have been planted there. This being said, I still think that population continuity from the Mesolithic to the present is quite stong, particularly along maternal lines.

Trog
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I actually love the romanticism of the Celtic hypothesis and I favour the theories that support it. You're right also that it seems to have fallen out of favour over the last few years. I welcome a revival.

Iago
12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
The first mention of the word Celtic to describe the people of these Isles was in the 18th century and is a conspiracy of the Roman Catholic Church to unite the Scots, Irish and Welsh against the English to break up the Union.

The Scots are Gaelic-Britons, Or just Scots.

It's funny when people ask who are the Scots, errr the Scots?

You'll find the Americans like to mention 'Celtic' more than others. This is because they are mongrels and have no identity. The idea of White-Nationalism came from America to suit this identity crisis.

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
What are you doing? You're not Scottish. Smelly sock=jock=Scot.

Barreldriver has a significant and very visible amount of Scottish ancestry.

I think that some 'socks' are Germanic, particularly in the North-East, but it is a different Germanic to the English Anglo-Saxons, but, of course, there are pockets of that in Scotland as well, just as old London was Celtic, with Kent and Essex as the surrounding Anglo-Saxon farmlands.

From a genetic standpoint, the question posed here is a bit up in the air at the moment. Just a couple of years ago, the answer would have been a resounding no regarding a mass migration of continental Celtic speakers to the Isles. Today though, many would argue that something along those lines must have happened, particularly amongst male lineages. All of this is based on the dating of the major Y-chromosome haplogroup of the Isles, R1b.

In terms of our favourite pseudo-science, R1b correlates geographically with Bruennid, rather than Keltic-Nordic racial types.

What was your point in mentioning the dating of R1b, or have I missed the point?

Murphy
12-13-2009, 07:58 AM
The first mention of the word Celtic to describe the people of these Isles was in the 18th century and is a conspiracy of the Roman Catholic Church to unite the Scots, Irish and Welsh against the English to break up the Union.

Of course! It was all a papist plot! Let us all ignore the fact that for alot of the time, one of the Unions greatest supporters was the Catholic Church in Britain!

The Scots are Gaelic-Britons, Or just Scots.

Gaels and Britons are what we would today call "Celts" excluding the Picts whom I assume you're labelling as Britons.

It's funny when people ask who are the Scots, errr the Scots?

It's an interesting discussion none the less.

You'll find the Americans like to mention 'Celtic' more than others. This is because they are mongrels and have no identity. The idea of White-Nationalism came from America to suit this identity crisis.

We agree here.

Regards,
The Papist.

Laudanum
12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I'd say they are Celto-Germanic.

Murphy
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd say they are Celto-Germanic.

Trog will hate me for it, but there's nothing very Celtic about Scotland. Sure, you have those romanticists etc., but they're no fair representation of the Scottish people.

In the Highlands and Western Islands sure enough there are Gaels and a strong genuine "Celtic" tradition, but they are so far removed from the central establishment as to be another country.

Regards,
The Papist.

Allenson
12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
In terms of our favourite pseudo-science, R1b correlates geographically with Bruennid, rather than Keltic-Nordic racial types.

What was your point in mentioning the dating of R1b, or have I missed the point?

Well, just a few years ago, geneticists were claiming the deep age of R1b in western Europe and genetic continuity from the Paleolithic to the present in terms of the population. Now, this age has come into question by some. This new voice claims a much more recent origin for R1b and also a different geographic origin & subsequent spread. This new claim has R1b arising somewhere near the Black Sea and spreading east with either farming or the later IE expansions... Hence, potentially being the bringers of Keltic languages to the Isles.

My money is still on continuuity from at least the Mesolithic. :thumb001:

We agree here.

LOL, hardly. Celtic romanticim very much had its origins in the Isles.

Both of you need to do some more homework before running your mouths about things which you have little grasp of. Now run along, alter boy(s).

Murphy
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
LOL, hardly. Celtic romanticim very much had its origins in the Isles.

Both of you need to do some more homework before running your mouths about things which you have little grasp of. Now run along, alter boy(s).

Oh yes, Celtic romanticism did indeed evolve on the Isles along with Teutonic romanticism. Bloody pseudoscience. My agreement was concerning White Nationalism and it's development in America.

I should have put that part in bold sorry.

Regards,
The Papist.

Jarl
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Well... from my personal experience thats the most common view of vast majority of Welsh and also most Scots. Perhaps its a mark of historical English-Welsh and English-Scottish antagonisms, but I find Welshmen and Scots particularly reluctant to admit they come from the same stock as the English. It is obviously different in the New World where the Old Stock, Celto-Germanic identity was forged, perhaps partly as a result of antagonisms between the old settlers and other newcomers.

Fortis in Arduis
12-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Well... from my personal experience thats the most common view of vast majority of Welsh and also most Scots. Perhaps its a mark of historical English-Welsh and English-Scottish antagonisms, but I find Welshmen and Scots particularly reluctant to admit they come from the same stock as the English. It is obviously different in the New World where the Old Stock, Celto-Germanic identity was forged, perhaps partly as a result of antagonisms between the old settlers and other newcomers.

Race and culture are just not the same thing, so there are definitely Anglo-Saxon people who are Scottish and thus may even consider themselves to be Celtic.

I have a Celtic surname but no Scottish or Irish person (from countries where my name is generally found) would consider me to be one of theirs unless they had a very particular respect for heredity and ancestry, even though English does not quite work for me, and I consider myself to be everything that my ancestors were, and I know that I have a deep connection to Scotland.

I just think that the best thing about being English, Irish, Scottish, Cornish or Welsh is being British. We should be so proud of what we achieved together and of our individual and composite histories.

This is why supporters of the union have always taken care to celebrate our individual national histories, even going so far as to raise statutes of Scottish patriots, such as Sir William Wallace, who you will find outside His Majesty's Theatre on Union Terrace Gardens in loyal Aberdeen.

http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/williamwallacestatue.jpg

Murphy
12-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I just think that the best thing about being English, Irish, Scottish, Cornish or Welsh is being British. We should be so proud of what we achieved together and of our individual and composite histories.

You're kidding right?

Regards,
The Papist.

Dalriada
12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
You're kidding right?

I wouldn't imagine that he is, and I happen to hold exactly the same views.

The 26 counties and its inhabitants are separated from us by border drawn abritrarily on a map; in every other way, "the 26" and the rest of these Isles are one.

Murphy
12-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't imagine that he is, and I happen to hold exactly the same views.

I don't expect anything better from you though.

The 26 counties and its inhabitants are separated from us by border drawn abritrarily on a map; in every other way, "the 26" and the rest of these Isles are one.

I believe there is an obvious commonality between us, but we are not one. We are different peoples and to speak of what we all achieved together.. please, why don't you tell me what we all achieved? Tell me about the glorious British empire that butchered, slaughtered and raped its way around the world?

Regards,
The Papist.

Fortis in Arduis
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't expect anything better from you though.

Your usual glib self-righteous response.

I believe there is an obvious commonality between us, but we are not one. We are different peoples and to speak of what we all achieved together.. please, why don't you tell me what we all achieved? Tell me about the glorious British empire that butchered, slaughtered and raped its way around the world?

Regards,
The Papist.

If all you can see in the British Empire is that, it is because that is what your mind consists of.

The Roman Catholic conquest of South America was not a pic-nic and Jesuits are not the people one wants to invite to one's deathbed as one is writing one's will etc.

Nasty.

Murphy
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Your usual glib self-righteous response.

:rolleyes:..

If all you can see in the British Empire is that, it is because that is what your mind consists of.

I can hardly find any redeeming qualities of the British Empire that are truly worthy of note.

The Roman Catholic conquest of South America was not a pic-nic

Completely agree with you here. It was quite brutal in places.

and Jesuits are not the people one wants to invite to one's deathbed as one is writing one's will etc.

Oh I hate the Jesuits, as far as I am concerned the Holy Father should simply disband the Order. I just find it funny when Protestants speak of Jesuit plots.

Regards,
The Papist.

Fortis in Arduis
12-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I can hardly find any redeeming qualities of the British Empire that are truly worthy of note.

Not even India's liberation from Islam? :eek:

Not to mention transportation, infrastructure, fabulous architectural collaberations and the gift of English as a lingua franca.

The main problems of the Empire was exacerbated by French competition and the way that it was brutally dismantled and dominated by finance capitalists.

Completely agree with you here. It was quite brutal in places.

Whilst I am familiar with English understatement, I had not realised that the Irish-Scots version was so extreme.

Oh I hate the Jesuits, as far as I am concerned the Holy Father should simply disband the Order. I just find it funny when Protestants speak of Jesuit plots.

They have a fairly firm grip on Malta.

Bullies always target the smaller ones.