PDA

View Full Version : Women, would you want your partner to watch you giving birth?

Kazimiera
02-17-2013, 12:28 AM
The opinions I've heard regarding this are very divided. There are women who would love to have their partner involved in the birth of their child, and there are those who feel that it is a woman's event and should be done in privacy.

Men seem to be equally passionate about it. Either they would LOVE it or they would HATE it.

How do you feel about it?

larali
02-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I'd leave it up to him. I wouldn't mind though.

He watched my two C-sections and even took pictures during the process!

However, I would NOT like to have my family or my in laws in there during it. I told them from the beginning "sorry, but y'all can see the baby once it is transferred to the nursery." They were OK with that, too!

AlexandraD
02-17-2013, 12:37 AM
i actually never thought about it :P luckily im not toooo close to that stuff anyways.

i guess... i wouldnt care too much? he could be there or he could be outside, whatever he is comfortable with. although i would say that if he was there, he would have to be very comforting and reassuring and NOT freak out because then i would go totally crazy ahaha :) he has to be a teamplayer!

but yeah, nobody else. just him if he wanted to, pretty much what larali said :P

Oneeye
02-17-2013, 12:47 AM
I didn't really "watch," but I was by my better half's side for support, and helped with the deliveries when I could. I cut the umbilical cords as well.

Nihtgenga
02-17-2013, 01:00 AM
I was there for the birth of both of my children. Her doctor made me help hold her feet and I got an extremely up close view of the entire process. Honestly I didn't enjoy it and I was uncomfortable with it. I know - I'm an asshole. I didn't resist it or anything but I could have lived without it. I feel that it is a time and place for women. I was told I would regret it if I wasn't there and that I would be glad that I was. Neither of those are true. Not that I am really bothered by it now but I guess I just don't see watching them come out as some kind of special moment that would have been any different from seeing them a moment later.

I voted the last option even though I have witnessed it twice.

AlexandraD
02-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I was there for the birth of both of my children. Her doctor made me help hold her feet and I got an extremely up close view of the entire process. Honestly I didn't enjoy it and I was uncomfortable with it. I know - I'm an asshole. I didn't resist it or anything but I could have lived without it. I feel that it is a time and place for women. I was told I would regret it if I wasn't there and that I would be glad that I was. Neither of those are true. Not that I am really bothered by it now but I guess I just don't see watching them come out as some kind of special moment that would have been any different from seeing them a moment later.

.___. maybe it because they gave you - legit - the most front row seats possible ahaha :P that sounds kinda weird, though, i think i would want my husband BESIDE me and holding my hand and just reassuring me through it, not like... in the doctors seat moving everything along lmfaooo :p

Nihtgenga
02-17-2013, 01:07 AM
.___. maybe it because they gave you - legit - the most front row seats possible ahaha :P that sounds kinda weird, though, i think i would want my husband BESIDE me and holding my hand and just reassuring me through it, not like... in the doctors seat moving everything along lmfaooo :p

Her doctor is French Canadian. Is it common in Canada?

Slycooper
02-17-2013, 01:09 AM
They actually let you help. They should leave that to the professionals.

Oneeye
02-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Seems common enough here, they had me hold my wife's leg up as well.

What's really weird is when people film the whole thing, as if there is any point in time down the road that anyone is going to want to watch it.

Nihtgenga
02-17-2013, 01:14 AM
They actually let you help. They should leave that to the professionals.

The doctor had me help hold her feet so she could push against my hand or something along those lines. Well I had one foot and the nurse or whoever it was was on the other side with the doctor in the middle doing her thing. I didn't help with the procedure or anything lol. It was disconcerting but maybe I am a wuss about it. Not sure really how other people feel in that situation. I think her doctor is into natural stuff and all that. As an American I expected resistance when we told her we weren't doing a circumcision with our son but she just said 'good.'

Oneeye
02-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Just thought of something, maybe making a teenage daughter watch it would be a good deterrent....

Veneda
02-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Giving birth to a child belongs to women sphere only. Men should stay outdoors and wait for the result.

AlexandraD
02-17-2013, 01:47 AM

woah. im not sure, i havent heard any stories from anyone else. it could be for all i know! my husband will NOT be doing that whatsoever! he'll be out of the way and comforting me and if he can't do that he is *leaving* :P

Slycooper
02-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Woman? How mad would you be if the doctor gave the baby to the father first instead of you?

Kalitas
02-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Hey, where is the poll option I am a man, and I would pay to see a woman giving birth?

Aredhel
02-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Hey, where is the poll option I am a man, and I would pay to see a woman giving birth?

Why do you want to see a woman giving birth?? :confused:

I couldn't see it, it makes me sick seeing blood

Kalitas
02-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Why do you want to see a woman giving birth?? :confused:

I couldn't see it, it makes me sick seeing blood

'Cause it's one of the best shows of nature, when the primeval shelter (the womb) is left behind and the newborn acquires knowledge of the existence of others. It's something that can't be compared with anything, I guess.

Kazimiera
02-17-2013, 02:38 AM
'Cause it's one of the best shows of nature, when the primeval shelter (the womb) is left behind and the newborn acquires knowledge of the existence of others. It's something that can't be compared with anything, I guess.

Caesar or natural?

Kalitas
02-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Caesar or natural?

Natural, of course :)

Kazimiera
02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
It is not exactly a pleasant sight.

Kalitas
02-17-2013, 02:47 AM
It is not exactly a pleasant sight.

It's just a matter of taste ;)

Kazimiera
02-17-2013, 02:49 AM
It's just a matter of taste ;)

No, it isn't. Birthing is definitely not a pleasant sight.

rhiannon
02-17-2013, 04:44 AM
My husband was in the OR during my csection. He watched most of it, amazingly enough considering he is very squeamish about blood and body fluids.

Kazimiera
02-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Let me ask this question in a different way, as there seem to be many caesers around.

Would you want your partner to watch you have a natural delivery? Or would you want to see your wife/girlfriend give birth naturally. A C-section is such an artificial way to go about it, unless it is medically indicated.

Mraz
02-17-2013, 04:55 AM
It should be a traumatic event for guys...We're sensitive beings :P

rhiannon
02-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Let me ask this question in a different way, as there seem to be many caesers around.

Would you want your partner to watch you have a natural delivery? Or would you want to see your wife/girlfriend give birth naturally. A C-section is such an artificial way to go about it, unless it is medically indicated.

My daughter's birth was vaginal. Her father was also in the delivery room and he did watch. I'm not squeamish at the thought of my partner seeing the whole shebang because after all, they were involved in getting me pregnant in the first place. In both cases the idea to be present at the time of delivery was theirs. I'd never push anyone to do something they didn't want to do.

YellowRose
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I chose the option "I am a woman and I would like my partner to see the birth of his child".

I believe that birth is one of the most beautiful things in the world. I know some men say that it would make them sick, which is okay. If my husband became ill in the delivery room, then I would hope he would just move to an angle where he did not have to "see" all the details up close. A father can still witness and be there for the birth of his child regardless if he has a front and center view or not. I think it is a very personal and precious bonding moment for the first time parents, and a bonding moment for the father/mother and child.