PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between main land and Sicily?

Sebastian1406
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
I am a bit curious of what the exact differences are?

alfieb
02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Well, to start, a lot of Sicilians eat couscous. A lot of Italians eat polenta. No Sicilians eat polenta. No Italians eat couscous. A lot of Italians drink beer. Unfortunately, very few Sicilians do. We make our own wine, but there aren't any breweries in Sicily that I know of.

Most of Sicily is suburban/rural, while Italy is more urban. Sicily is fairly poor, while Italy is rather wealthy.

Sicily is more conservative and religious on average than Italy, but then again that doesn't mean that all of Italy is evil, Satanist Livorno, or that Sicily vote right-wing 100% of the time. Only 90% of the time. We have a gay communist President in Sicily right now, first time a real leftist has been elected ever. :lol:

These examples are minor, because to be honest, it's hard to say "Italians do this, Italians don't do this", because there aren't many things that are true for all of Italy (because Italian is not a real ethnicity). Calabria and Friuli-Venezia Giulia don't really share much in common to say "they do this, we do that".

It is unfortunately easier to say what Sicilians and Sicily are like in general terms than to talk about them (Italians).

Sebastian1406
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Interesting, I am American but ancestry comes from Central/Northern Italy(Abruzzo,Bologna). They were mountain people in Abruzzo that hunted boar and ate rabbit. I will say my family is not very religious; they eat a lot of Pasta but also make a wierd Italian flat cookie named a pizelle. Also my grandmother used to make crepes.