PDA

View Full Version : What does money mean for you?

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Everyone likes money, some like it a bit more and some like it a bit less ;) discuss it and vote in the poll.

Personally I have an unhealthy adoration for money, it started when I was a 4-5 yo kid. I remember my parents showing me a 100 ruble banknote (highest in Soviet Union) and I could not believe how beautiful it was, it had something very special in it. From that point on my life has an endless pursuit of money with very different results, sometimes I made a lot, sometimes I was forced to live for as little as €1000 a month or so.

when I was 4-5 and my mind got infected by the image of that banknote I figured that the best way get money for a 4-5yo would be to go to supermarkets with my parents and to look for dropped change below registers where people paid for their purchases, and it worked as sometimes I was lucky and found a few coins.

one of my favorite words has always been 'to sell', when I was a kid I always wondered why people needed all those things which they had, since they could always sell them. During my life I have sold quite a lot of different things, from mushrooms which I picked in forest (was 12-13 yo back then) to cars and expensive jewelry. I love to sell and to make profit.

Money for me is a part of myself, a part of my emotional self even, making a good deal always elevates my mood, even if I'm already euphoric, I feel even better when I make a good deal. I can't see myself going bankrupt and never making a new acquisition again.

I'm a very generous spender when things go well, my greediness limits itself to making money, not to spending it.

What about you ? be honest please, there is no shame in admitting your love for money.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Can't deny the jew.

OnceLord
02-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Money is a form of currency in this world. I equate it with stability. The more money I have, the more stable my environment to a degree.

Personally money is not a marker of intrinsic success and achievement for me. I do recognise this is not the case for much of the world. There is no disconnect from my views in embracing this also by flaunting it.

The notion of trading which you have raised is a curious one for me. I enjoy the thrill of bartering and haggling and much like you spent a lot of my childhood involved in trade. There is an entrepreneurial spirit in humans that is fulfilled by it that is hampered by ideologies like Communism.

2012JD
02-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Money brings power . So I like money. I actually only ask for money in my birthday and special occasions . I work just for the money and to give me pleasure. Like buying things for myself

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 01:20 AM
The notion of trading which you have raised is a curious one for me. I enjoy the thrill of bartering and haggling and much like you spent a lot of my childhood involved in trade. There is an entrepreneurial spirit in humans that is fulfilled by it that is hampered by ideologies like Communism.

Now that I think about it, I think that selling mushrooms as a kid was one of the most exciting and learning things of my childhood. Sitting there and talking with mostly old smart people, seeing all those strange looks of people passing by who's faces said "wtf, a child selling?", it was a thrilling experience as you put it :)

it looked something like this.

http://www.sn-plus.com/get_img?ImageId=301

larali
02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
More money = less stress, for me. Also as someone else said, power. Money translates into the ability to do the things you want to do, live the kind of life you want to lead, and make a positive change in the world if you choose. Money is not a bad thing.

Where it turns into a bad thing is if people misuse it, or use it against other people.

Illancha
02-20-2013, 01:32 AM
I've been meaning to make this thread for ages, but never actually got round to it.

This is pretty much my stance on money:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nif01WZ9aI

I have never been driven by money.

The usual reaction I get from people is ridicule when I tell them what I really want to do is live in the mountains of my homeland, raise a family and herd sheep.

I really recommend the video and in fact most Alan Watts videos on Youtube, he is one of my favourite philosophers.

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 01:41 AM
I've been meaning to make this thread for ages, but never actually got round to it.

This is pretty much my stance on money:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nif01WZ9aI

The usual reaction I get from people is ridicule when I tell them what I really want to do is live in the mountains of my homeland, raise a family and herd sheep.

I really recommend the video and in fact most Alan Watts videos on Youtube, he is one of my favourite philosophers.

great answer, but I cant agree with the video. The video implies that making money is done by doing something you hate. Which is only the case for people who don't like their job. I can't stand the idea of having an assembly line job or being a stupid clerk, it would likely suck me dry of life and turn me into a zombie with dead eyes and no emotions (there are many of those, just look at some people and their dead faces and eyes).

But what if you are passionate about something (for me its selling, and in modern age it happens mostly online) ? what if your passion for profit is accompanied by profit and satisfaction for work ? When these things combined together you can have great income AND the luxury to be free and to spend lots of time on your hobbies ?

Illancha
02-20-2013, 01:45 AM
But what if you are passionate about something (for me its selling, and in modern age it happens mostly online) ? what if your passion for profit is accompanied by profit and satisfaction for work ? When these things combined together you can have great income AND the luxury to be free and to spend lots of time on your hobbies ?
Then that is your calling. Keep doing exactly that.

larali
02-20-2013, 01:53 AM

That sounds really nice, but let's be practical. Will you buy the land or rent? Where will the children go to school? Where will you buy things that you need? (Even if you make your own bread, etc, you still need to buy supplies.) You have to have a house to live in. Not to mention health care. What will you do to afford all these things?

Philo
02-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Acquisitor = Biggest J00 ever. LOL:D

I think money is important but I'm not that interested in it. I would like to be a millionaire so that I could sail the world with a yacht. However I don't see that happening so I guess I will just have to go to university and make a regular income.

Bobby Six Killer
02-20-2013, 01:58 AM
I likes moneyz

Aredhel
02-20-2013, 01:59 AM
I can't deny money it's important actually it helps you to acquire many products and have more power as they said before but for me it isn't important to accumulate a great amount of money and being the richest, one of my main goals is to trascend and do something important.

Mraz
02-20-2013, 02:01 AM
I like seeing my bank account growing up and I always think twice when I buy something expensive.
I'm not someone materialistic and I don't care about "trend", so I can easily save money.
I'm more happy by saving money than consumming.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 02:05 AM
lulz the tags

RussiaPrussia
02-20-2013, 02:07 AM
man i cant believe how jewish you are :rofl:

Dude if you look at life closely you will realize its not money what youre eating and living with. Its the goods and services.

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
man i cant believe how jewish you are :rofl:

Dude if you look at life closely you will realize its not money what youre eating and living with. Its the goods and services.

Yup, and they are all free of charge. There are some free things in the world, like your endless stupidity for example ;) I mean it's endless, daily, and free of charge.

pinguino
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Money is my work. And among many things, money buy useful things for the people one loves, including health care, studies, living in better neighborhoods, etc. And no less important, money earn respect.

Han Cholo
02-20-2013, 02:16 AM
It's a dirty paper used to get stuff. Needless to say, it's necessary in modern life. I would prefer battling for stuff to be honest.

Äike
02-20-2013, 02:17 AM
sometimes I was forced to live for as little as €1000 a month or so.

Is this a joke or you actually meant 100€?

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Is this a joke or you actually meant 100€?

no, I mean one thousand euro's.. try to live off that, try to pay all the bills, to eat, to dress yourself etc. gl

Äike
02-20-2013, 02:23 AM
no, I mean one thousand euro's.. try to live off that, try to pay all the bills, to eat, to dress yourself etc. gl

You must be really spoiled and spent that 1000 euros you got monthly, on caviar and golden watches, if you think that 1000€ is little money to get by with in a month.

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 02:31 AM
You must be really spoiled and spent that 1000 euros you got monthly, on caviar and golden watches, if you think that 1000€ is little money to get by with in a month.

have you ever heard about things like: mortgage or rent ? easily half of that money, easily, add the gas/electricity/water/internet/mobile phone bill and you will have €300 left. If you eat the shittest/cheapest food for the whole month you still need at least €200 euro.

Oneeye
02-20-2013, 02:33 AM

I could easily live off of the USD equivalent of that, if I were still single and childless. Now with a family, that would be very inadequate...

Mraz
02-20-2013, 02:33 AM
In Belgium, 1000€ is the poverty line. Depends from countries, rents are expensive, if you add bills then you have not much money remaining.

Äike
02-20-2013, 02:41 AM
have you ever heard about things like: mortgage or rent ? easily half of that money, easily, add the gas/electricity/water/internet/mobile phone bill and you will have €300 left.

I'm not born yesterday. Also, gas/electricity/water aren't a big problem if you don't live in a big house and try to be as "green" as possible.

If you eat the shittest/cheapest food for the whole month you still need at least €200 euro.

You live in Belgium... The food is cheaper there than here(just pure statistics, not fiction) and you must truly eat caviar if you need 200 euros a month to eat. You could get by with 50 euros a month. Unless you don't dine in restaurants every day. Just cook porridge, good pasta etc.

I hate people who whine, when truly they should be doing the opposite. You are a stereotypical Jew.

Äike
02-20-2013, 02:44 AM
In Belgium, 1000€ is the poverty line. Depends from countries, rents are expensive, if you add bills then you have not much money remaining.

I am fully aware of that.

RussiaPrussia
02-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Yup, and they are all free of charge. There are some free things in the world, like your endless stupidity for example ;) I mean it's endless, daily, and free of charge.

dude you dont get it, your typical jew. All your money is nothing more than paper. Many problems of todays economy is not because were running out of money but because of money and thats why i hate money.

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-20-2013, 02:56 AM
It means I can be big pimpin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoqrgc_0cM

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm not born yesterday. Also, gas/electricity/water aren't a big problem if you don't live in a big house and try to be as "green" as possible.

You live in Belgium... The food is cheaper there than here(just pure statistics, not fiction) and you must truly eat caviar if you need 200 euros a month to eat. You could get by with 50 euros a month. Unless you don't dine in restaurants every day. Just cook porridge, good pasta etc.

you can "not" survive by spending only €50 on food a month. it's impossible. You will starve and die, even if you eat the shittest pasta from aldi every day. I know a student who is on a very low budget, he eats that shitty pasta and other unpleasant things, he told me he needs at least €180 a month for food, at least €6/day.

I hate people who whine, when truly they should be doing the opposite. You are a stereotypical Jew

jeez man, do you hear me whine ?

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-20-2013, 02:58 AM
dude you dont get it, your typical jew. All your money is nothing more than paper. Many problems of todays economy is not because were running out of money but because of money and thats why i hate money.

It's because our paper money is not pinned to anything with tangible value; such as gold, unfortunately.

Illancha
02-20-2013, 07:17 AM
That sounds really nice, but let's be practical. Will you buy the land or rent? Where will the children go to school? Where will you buy things that you need? (Even if you make your own bread, etc, you still need to buy supplies.) You have to have a house to live in. Not to mention health care. What will you do to afford all these things?
Perhaps you didn't understand.

The whole point is to move away from the modern lifestyle.

There is virtue in simplicity.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Are you kidding ?
Shittest pasta with shitty ketchup and cheese cost 1€ per lunch in average for me(thank god I don't eat that everyday) . so 2€ a day,not even counting the breakfast .
It's 60€ per months and by eating the worst cheapest shittest food ever .With 50€ you just starve ,I spend 200€ for food each month and I eat shit and I only drink water most of the time .Well the supermarket near where I live is fucking expansive too and the other super/hyper-market are too far from where i live and i don't have a car.

Sarmatian
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Money are exchange tool for me. I get goods that I need from people by using them. Money are not necessity as one can produce pretty much everything one need for life by himself. But they make life somewhat comfortable and it's addictive.

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM

and you are a typical russki, who doesnt know shit about economy, or about anything for that matter, who always posts half truths, shallow information without any insight research into subjects.

Loki
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
You could get by with 50 euros a month. Unless you don't dine in restaurants every day. Just cook porridge, good pasta etc.

That would be impossible in London. Even for a week.

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM

50 euros? Are you serious? It's around 35 Lats, and only by eating bad food and not eating properly (having at least two meals a day), not drinking coffee or tea, just water from crane, maybe I'd manage to live like that for about two weeks max, especially during wintertime.

Graham
02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
1000 Euros per month. You could live on that here & afford some luxuries. But you'd have to live in a council estate or an older Tenement flat.

50 euros on food, in a month. It is possible, if you bulk buy & cook from scratch.

Loki
02-20-2013, 02:28 PM
50 euros on food, in a month. It is possible, if you bulk buy & cook from scratch.

What? That's about say £40/month. Methinks impossible. You will definitely not have meat in your diet, possibly only bread, and if you're lucky a tin of baked beans every second day.

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
1000 Euros per month. You could live on that here & afford some luxuries. But you'd have to live in a council estate or an older Tenement flat.

Are you a vegetarian?

Austo
02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
money is just dirty paper.

Most people nowadays think we need it to live. That may be right if you eat your money. But what we really need is food and water.

Graham
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Never said I lived that way. But is is possible. Vegans & Vegetarians don't all drop dead. Happens to be I'm going out to the chip-shop, to buy fish & chips for £4. So I spend more. lol :P

Bulk buying pasta & tins are very cheap. Especially with all the special deals. Cans of tuna or fish are cheap & always on special offers. Porridge like what Karl says, you could bulk buy that on the cheap. Drink water out the tap.

I don't smoke or drink coffee/tea. Don't crave alcohol.

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Never said I lived that way. But is is possible. Vegans & Vegetarians don't all drop dead. Happens to be I'm going out to the chip-shop, to buy fish & chips for £4. So I spend more. lol :P

Bulk buying pasta & tins are very cheap. Especially with all the special deals. Cans of tuna or fish are cheap & always on special offers. Porridge like what Karl says, you could bulk buy that on the cheap. Drink water out the tap.

I don't smoke or drink coffee/tea. Don't crave alcohol.

Out of curiosity? How much 1,2l milk and a loaf of bread cost over there? And what do you drink instead of coffee/tea?

Loki
02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Out of curiosity? How much 1,2l milk and a loaf of bread costs over there? And what do you drink instead of coffee/tea?

A loaf of bread costs about £1 here ... but if one waits until before closing time, you can get specials of up to 10p for a loaf close to expiry!

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
A loaf of bread costs about £1 here ... but if one waits until before closing time, you can get specials of up to 10p for a loaf close to expiry!

It costs around 1 Lat here which is pretty much the same as £1 and we have much lower salaries here, the same goes to Estonia, so no, it's not enough with 50 Euros...

Graham
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
50p to £1.50 for bread. Under a pound for milk. I shop at ASDA, you'd have to scrape the barrel & go for smart price. Was brought up on it anyway.

Haven't taking the rising inflation into consideration. Prices are rising all the time.

Tyfani
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
We need money, even if we do not like it... I like having money that I have worked for so I canunderstand their importance. I think money is the root of evil when people just take it from their parents without earning it, cause they behave like spoiled kids.
When rich kids suicide, I am like, "oh, yes, you are so dissapointed with your life cause you got a dog instead of a pony"

Graham
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
^^^ also
Money = power & Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I like money for it's security.

Sorry I never replied to the drink question. I drink water & fresh orange juice mainly. Been cutting back on the Cola.

lI
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Eating junk is relatively cheap in UK but eating healthy good quality food is expensive. In Lithuania the situation is reversed.

Karl's claim about being able to get by with 50 euros a month for food in Estonia does not sound like an exaggeration.

derLowe
02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Money is a way to keep score but apart from that it is nothing much.

larali
02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Perhaps you didn't understand.

The whole point is to move away from the modern lifestyle.

There is virtue in simplicity.

Trust me, I know. My hub and I were planning to "homestead" (live out in the country, homeschool the kids, grow our own food). I did my homework. Turns out, land costs money. Gardening and cooking cost money. Driving to and from town costs a shit ton of money in gas. Even schooling the kids costs a little bit of money, because you have to buy the curriculum.

Needless to say, that didn't work out.

I live a very simple lifestyle. I cook, clean, buy my clothes from the second hand store, and don't travel. I don't watch TV, don't buy cable, rarely use my cell phone and make my kids play outside instead of playing video games. The only reason I have a computer is because my hub bought it for me. Can't be more simple than that.

When you grow up, you'll learn that money is a necessary "evil" (if you can call it evil.)

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Trust me, I know. My hub and I were planning to "homestead" (live out in the country, homeschool the kids, grow our own food). I did my homework. Turns out, land costs money. Gardening and cooking cost money. Driving to and from town costs a shit ton of money in gas. Even schooling the kids costs a little bit of money, because you have to buy the curriculum.

Needless to say, that didn't work out.

I live a very simple lifestyle. I cook, clean, buy my clothes from the second hand store, and don't travel. I don't watch TV, don't buy cable, rarely use my cell phone and make my kids play outside instead of playing video games. The only reason I have a computer is because my hub bought it for me. Can't be more simple than that.

When you grow up, you'll learn that money is a necessary "evil" (if you can call it evil.)

how much do your hub earn if it's not indiscreet?

Graham
02-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Transport is the big problem for rural communities. In the UK petrol costs more, for those in rural areas. The government should introduce a fuel duty regulator imo. So people aren't discouraged, into moving out of the urban sprawl.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
even if you eat the shittest pasta from aldi every day.

I know it was illustrative, but the pasta from the Aldi isn't really shit IMO. ;) Most people here usually go to Aldi or Lidl. Snobbism toward that chain is very uncommon. Not rarely people by most food in Aldi or Lidl and some luxury food in more expensive stores to fill in. These people live well above the poverty line.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Out of curiosity? How much 1,2l milk and a loaf of bread cost over there? And what do you drink instead of coffee/tea?

I'm wondering how much rent an average Balt has to pay. Over here I can say that the cheapest is about €400/month (a one or two-chamber studio) if you count out student flats which can range from €200/ to €400/month.
Usually blue collar-workers who live alone live in cheap flats and people here consider it almost necessary for low-schooled people to have a partner if frugal lifestyle isn't your thing.

Acquisitor
02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
I know it was illustrative, but the pasta from the Aldi isn't really shit IMO. ;) Most people here usually go to Aldi or Lidl. Snobbism toward that chain is very uncommon. Not rarely people by most food in Aldi or Lidl and some luxury food in more expensive stores to fill in. These people live well above the poverty line.

I dont have an Aldi anywhere near me, but I have Lidl, and it's so sad there :/ Looks more like a warehouse than a shop, also in Carrefour/Delhaize which I do have close to me, you can buy house brands for the same money as in Aldi or even cheaper.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I dont have an Aldi anywhere near me, but I have Lidl, and it's so sad there :/ Looks more like a warehouse than a shop, also in Carrefour/Delhaize which I do have close to me, you can buy house brands for the same money as in Aldi or even cheaper.

The saddest-decorated store is Colruyt, but they sell decent stuff. Their marketing-strategy is 'we're a non-nonsense store'.

They look literally as follows:

http://www.levensmiddelenkrant.nl/uploads/foto/Colruyt_kassa_VK.jpg

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm wondering how much rent an average Balt has to pay. Over here I can say that the cheapest is about €400/month (a one or two-chamber studio) if you count out student flats which can range from €200/ to €400/month.
Usually blue collar-workers who live alone live in cheap flats and people here consider it almost necessary for low-schooled people to have a partner if frugal lifestyle isn't your thing.

It depends on where you're renting a flat, even in Riga prices differ a lot. In Latvia the average for a two room apartment is around 100 Lats = 140 Euros + around 100 Lats for electricity, water, heating, ect. So it's around 200 lats = 280 - 300 Euros.

But I've no idea how it's in Estonia or Lithuania, but as it seems it's possible to spend only 50 Euros on food in those countries, while it's completely impossible here.

Loki
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm wondering how much rent an average Balt has to pay.

I'm wondering about Tallinn .. seems a beautiful city :)

Gauthier
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Money is freedom.

Han Cholo
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Money is freedom.

Or slavery. Depends on how you see it :)

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
It depends on where you're renting a flat, even in Riga prices differ a lot. The average for a two room apartment is around 100 Lats = 140 Euros + around 100 Lats for electricity, water, heating, ect. So it's around 200 lats = 280 - 300 Euros. It's cheaper outside Riga, but again it depends on where exactly... though the differences are not really huge

But I've no idea how it's in Estonia or Lithuania, but as it seems it's possible to spend only 50 Euros on food in those countries, while it's completely impossible here.

Well, over here I'd say a cheap rent is 350€-400€, while a 'normal' one is about 500€-600€. Frugal people can bring the electricity and gas bill down to 100€/month, but most pay 200€-250€/month. Funny detail: my parents' mortgage which they took in the early 80s was only 6000 Belgian Franks (about 150€). They paid just as much as a Latvian does today (unthinkable now!). Nowadays they own the house (and it's above average in terms of luxury in Belgian I daresay). I have no idea about the water bill, though. And then there is food.
Nowadays taking a mortgage would be easily 1000€/month (a blue-collar worker earns about 1300€/ to 1500€/month). In order to buy a house you either have to have a well-paid job or live along with your partner.

All in all life is cheaper in Eastern Europe, but still not as cheaper as people live just as prosperous as here. At the same time, even in Western Europe you have to watch your money well.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Money is freedom.

The amount of money you 'produce' within a short span of time, that is freedom. Not spending anything and having millions doesn't make someone rich of course, one also needs the ability to spend. :p

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, over here I'd say a cheap rent is 350€-400€, while a 'normal' one is about 500€-600€. Frugal people can bring the electricity and gas bill down to 100€/month, but most pay 200€-250€/month. Funny detail: my parents' mortgage which they took in the early 80s was only 6000 Belgian Franks (about 150€). They paid just as much as a Latvian does today (unthinkable now!). Nowadays they own the house (and it's above average in terms of luxury in Belgian I daresay). I have no idea about the water bill, though. And then there is food.
Nowadays taking a mortgage would be easily 1000€/month (a blue-collar worker earns about 1300€/ to 1500€/month). In order to buy a house you either have to have a well-paid job or live along with your partner.

All in all life is cheaper in Eastern Europe, but still not as cheaper as people life just as prosperous as here. At the same time, even in Western Europe you have to watch your money well.

It's cheaper, but remember that the minimum wage here is 200ls = 283.49 EUR !!! And at least 1/3 lives like that, besides food costs the same, at least it didn't cost more in Sweden than in Latvia.

And what Latvians perceives a 'normal' apartment probably differs a lot from the opinions of W Europeans.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
It's cheaper, but remember that the minimum wage here is 200ls = 283.49 EUR !!! And at least 1/3 live like that, besides food costs the same, at least it didn't cost more in Sweden than in Latvia.

My heart goes especially to pensioners and less fortunate having to work shitty jobs over there. And yes, food appears to be relatively universal in terms of price. People basically have to take other jobs illegally to make ends meet (people do it everywhere, also very well-off people but then just to earn more luxury).

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
My heart goes especially to pensioners and less fortunate having to work shitty jobs over there. And yes, food appears to be relatively universal in terms of price.

I feel sorry for them too, but a lot of them have managed to make savings unlike the younger population. I generally don't get how people manage to live here... it's been on my mind so much lately and it makes me really depressed.

Speaking about food, some while ago it really was cheaper to buy food in markets, but currently there is no differences between prices in markets or stores.

p.s. I don't buy vegetables and especially fruits during wintertime, because when I think about how they've been preserved seriously makes me sick. :/

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
And what Latvians perceives a 'normal' apartment probably differs a lot from the opinions of W Europeans.

Indeed. I also think that's the case. Most 'normal' apartments have four rooms or so here, and cheap ones two (a kitchen and a sleeping room annex living).

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Indeed. I also think that's the case. Most 'normal' apartments have four rooms or so here, and cheap ones two (a kitchen and a sleeping room annex living).

Hmmm, I was talking more about the conditions. But it's considered as 'cool' to have a four room apartment here, but it costs quite a lot. Here's an example, a four room apartment 30km from the capital costs around 300 Lats in case you own it = 425.23 EUR Obviously, in case of renting it could cost even twice as much.

Caismeachd
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
When I lived in San Francisco my rent each month was $1300/mo for a 1 room apartment. My parking "rent" (to park in a garage) was $300/mo. Couple that with general living expenses, paying for food, transportation, etc. I made a lot of money. Maybe 50-60k year. But quality of life was poor. Money is relative to your living environment and I guess the standards others have around you. When I see people renting a flat with others in Barcelona for 200 Euro a month, or living on social benefits in Finland paying only 400 Euro for a nice apartment. I just laugh at how easy they have it. They have little money but their quality of life is much better.

lI
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
p.s. I don't buy vegetables and especially fruits during wintertime, because when I think about how they've been preserved seriously makes me sick. :/
Interesting attitude of not eating vegetables in winter, especially coming from non-vegetarians (all preservatives are ten times more concentrated in animal products, so while winter fruits may not be as healthy as autumn ones, they're still not as loaded with chemicals as meat).
And where do you get your vitamins from then?

But yes there does seem to be a North-South trend to it (from here (http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Customs-Baltic-States-Europe/dp/0313331251)):

78 percent of respondents in Lithuania claimed to eat vegetables (excluding potatoes) daily,
but only 60 percent of Latvians and 48 percent of Estonians did so.

Flintlocke
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
burgers, bacon, and beer

larali
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
how much do your hub earn if it's not indiscreet?

It doesn't matter, anyone can be a conservative spender.

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Linkus, during wintertime I eat fruits and vegetables that were gathered and prepared during summer and autumn. I'm sure you recognize this:
http://www.lvportals.lv/wwwraksti/TEMAS/2009/JUNIJS/BILDES_LIELAS/PHP5FHH5E_PAGRABS[1].JPG

Cabbages, carrots, rutabagas stay fresh during the whole winter as well as potatoes (which I eat rarely because I prefer rise and buckwheat) and I don't eat meat that much or that often (if I could I'd eat only fish). I eat quite a lot of frozen berries, like strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries. I generally don't eat cooked veggies... I love milk products, eggs, porridge.
I sometimes buy bananas, which I do even during summertime because we simply don't grow them here, or grapefruit, but not that often since I'm not a fan of citrus fruits.
During summertime I eat all the fresh veggies and fruits right from the garden, I love blueberries!!!

And once more about meat... we buy it from local farmers that we personally know. For example, my friend's parents own a little farm where they grow chickens, so that's where I get chicken meat and I know that they don't use any chemicals. It's fresh and healthy.

lI
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Fair enough. When you said you don't buy vegetables & fruits during wintertime, I assumed that you don't eat them because you earlier said that you live in a flat away from parents. Accumulating enough vegetables, fruit preserves & frozen goods for the whole winter season takes quite a bit of time, storage space & finances and most young people don't have the means to do that.
But thumbs up for ya, if you do this!

Didriksson
02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Fair enough. When you said you don't buy vegetables & fruits during wintertime, I assumed that you don't eat them because you earlier said you earlier said that you live in a flat away from parents. Accumulating enough vegetables, fruit preserves & frozen goods for the whole winter season takes quite a bit of time, storage space & finances and most young people don't have the means to do that.
But thumbs up for ya, if you do this!

Well, when my winter food stocks are falling it's a good reason why to visit my grandmother. :) And I help her to gather everything during summer so it really doesn't cost that much, since it's from her garden, the only thing we actually buy is marinade because we already have jars, ect. So it just takes a bit of our time, but it totally pays off.

Partizan
02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
On sociological/philosophical ect. sense : Something which helped humanity to develop and pass the exchange method in antiquity, which also led to bourgeois revolution which was beneficial, however after development of monopolistic neo-capitalism based on companies, the capitalism/bourgeois class therefore the money lost its progressive value. Now, money is something which should be under state control.

On personal sense : Despite coming from a upper-middle class family, I never had greed for car(despite my peers were hijacking their parents' cars for some hours), nor I dreamed about being a rich man in future. My all aim is being an egg headed academician who can afford for basic and bohemian things :) However, for example, (unfortunately) I'd prefer to be an assistant in a private university than in a public one after some years, since I do not want to leech my parents' money in future. Private universities pay something decent, however public ones pay something like a teenager's allowance. Actually even now I spend my own money rather than parents',(bursary which was granted to me due to my high score in university exam by my university) and I want to stay independent economically.

Shortly, I don't need too much money, nor I have ambition for being rich. But I want to earn decent money which can help me to stand on my own legs.

Dandelion
02-20-2013, 08:49 PM
One hobby I might consider in the future, gardening. :)

Azalea
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Fifty euro's a month for food only? Yeah I could live off that. Especially if I don't have to cook for others. It would take some time and good planning perhaps but other than that, it's easy.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Fifty euro's a month for food only? Yeah I could live off that. Especially if I don't have to cook for others. It would take some time and good planning perhaps but other than that, it's easy.

and what will you eat ? noodles ?

Zmey Gorynych
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
The moneyz is the jew's best friend, actually when you come to think of it, his only friend.

Azalea
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Some days probably, yes. But not because of the lack of money - I simply like noodles. But ehm seriously, I could eat reasonably healthy for 50 euro's a month.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Some days probably, yes. But not because of the lack of money - I simply like noodles. But ehm seriously, I could eat reasonably healthy for 50 euro's a month.

No you can't ,try it for one month ,you will see that it's very hard even impossible and I don't think that Holland is very cheap .

Stefan
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
A means to get things done, that's all.

Azalea
02-20-2013, 09:49 PM
No you can't ,try it for one month ,you will see that it's very hard even impossible and I don't think that Holland is very cheap .

I can. I am 100% sure of it. Like I said, it's all a matter of planning and good thinking.

I will make a small plan and how-to later on. Seems like a nice challange btw. Maybe I'll give it an actualy try. ;)

TheRaven
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I picked the I like money, it is nice option

Hayalet
02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
I thought the OP was asking more about money as a physical object than as an abstract concept?

I don't care about money as a physical object at all, which is interesting because I care about objects in general. For example, I can never sell my items second-hand even if I am perfectly aware that I will never use them again. If I weren't extremely neat, I would probably be diagnosed with compulsive hoarding or something.

Oneeye
02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Living in a city is much more expensive than small town living. My rent is $450 (~336 €) a month, for a small, two bedroom house. I spend about $100 (~75 €) per person in our household a month on food, and we eat lots of steaks and other meats as well as buying fruits and vegetables from the local farmer's market during the time of year that they hold it.

How much does the average borderline poverty individual pay in taxes for healthcare per month in your country? Health insurance and medical bills are the real expense for us here. Most of our return in taxes is just going to pay off what we owe to the hospital.

Azalea
02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I can. I am 100% sure of it. Like I said, it's all a matter of planning and good thinking.

I will make a small plan and how-to later on. Seems like a nice challange btw. Maybe I'll give it an actualy try. ;)

So something like this :D:

First: start looking for discounts. No idea how it works in other countries but here we get sales folders from supermarkets every week. First you have to search for basic food which you will use often and that can be held for a while without it spoiling or food that can be held in the freezer. So potatoes, rice, cheese, canned vegetables/preserves and bread. Potatoes for example are about 2-5 euro's per 5 kilo's. Last week we bought 5 kilo for 1 euro and I think another supermarket is having the same deal this week, hence the importance of keeping an eye on the sales. But since I can not always rely on those sales, I will keep it reasonable.

So let's say €3 for 5 kilo's potatoes and €5 for 4 kilo's rice. Then I will buy bread. The cheapest yet still good tasting loaf of bread is around €1 euro here. I can do one week with one loaf. I simply put the bread in the freezer right after buying and take out two or four slices every day (it depends on what I am having for lunch). But one bread every week is the rule. So around €5 euro's for bread for an entire month. And since I usually put cheese on my sandwiches and use cheese for cooking, I will buy a big piece of Gouda cheese, about €5 for one kilo. The cheese will last me an entire month also. Then we go on to the canned vegetables and other preserves. I actually don't use canned vegetables much. Only the canned tomatoes (awesome invention btw). The canned tomatoes are around €0.45 a piece - there are cheaper ones, but the ones I use are around €0.45. I use about one can every week. So let's buy 4 of them. 4 x €0.45 = €1.80. I sometimes put jam on my sandwiches, so one jar of jam, which is €0.80 a jar. Also important: onions. You can keep them for a long time and they are another basic ingredient in many of my dishes. 1 kilo onions is €0.79. Oh and don't forget the most basic of all: vegetable oil (€1 per liter) sugar (€1 per kilo) and salt (€0.35 per kilo). So right now I've spend €24,24 and I already have enough potatoes, rice, bread, cheese, onions, tomatoes, oil, sugar and salt for an entire month (if not more). Now I've got left €6,06 per week for food for one person. Which is enough if you keep in mind that you already have all of the basic stuff.

I must say that you can probably get the basic stuff for cheaper if you would go to the streetmarkets instead of the supermarket and if you would search for actual discounts (the latter goes for everything you buy obviously). Another thing is that you should grow your own herbs and spices and dry them in the summer so you have enough spices/herbs for the winter - which is what we already do at our home btw.

Obviously you can not live as a king with €50 per month/per person. It's also clear that you need to consider every penny before spending, but it is actually possible to live reasonably healthy for that amount of money.

papa diddy pop
02-20-2013, 11:30 PM
So something like this :D:

First: start looking for discounts. No idea how it works in other countries but here we get sales folders from supermarkets every week. First you have to search for basic food which you will use often and that can be held for a while without it spoiling or food that can be held in the freezer. So potatoes, rice, cheese, canned vegetables/preserves and bread. Potatoes for example are about 2-5 euro's per 5 kilo's. Last week we bought 5 kilo for 1 euro and I think another supermarket is having the same deal this week, hence the importance of keeping an eye on the sales. But since I can not always rely on those sales, I will keep it reasonable.

So let's say €3 for 5 kilo's potatoes and €5 for 4 kilo's rice. Then I will buy bread. The cheapest yet still good tasting loaf of bread is around €1 euro here. I can do one week with one loaf. I simply put the bread in the freezer right after buying and take out two or four slices every day (it depends on what I am having for lunch). But one bread every week is the rule. So around €5 euro's for bread for an entire month. And since I usually put cheese on my sandwiches and use cheese for cooking, I will buy a big piece of Gouda cheese, about €5 for one kilo. The cheese will last me an entire month also. Then we go on to the canned vegetables and other preserves. I actually don't use canned vegetables much. Only the canned tomatoes (awesome invention btw). The canned tomatoes are around €0.45 a piece - there are cheaper ones, but the ones I use are around €0.45. I use about one can every week. So let's buy 4 of them. 4 x €0.45 = €1.80. I sometimes put jam on my sandwiches, so one jar of jam, which is €0.80 a jar. Also important: onions. You can keep them for a long time and they are another basic ingredient in many of my dishes. 1 kilo onions is €0.79. Oh and don't forget the most basic of all: vegetable oil (€1 per liter) sugar (€1 per kilo) and salt (€0.35 per kilo). So right now I've spend €24,24 and I already have enough potatoes, rice, bread, cheese, onions, tomatoes, oil, sugar and salt for an entire month (if not more). Now I've got left €6,06 per week for food for one person. Which is enough if you keep in mind that you already have all of the basic stuff.

I must say that you can probably get the basic stuff for cheaper if you would go to the streetmarkets instead of the supermarket and if you would search for actual discounts (the latter goes for everything you buy obviously). Another thing is that you should grow your own herbs and spices and dry them in the summer so you have enough spices/herbs for the winter - which is what we already do at our home btw.

Obviously you can not live as a king with €50 per month/per person. It's also clear that you need to consider every penny before spending, but it is actually possible to live reasonably healthy for that amount of money.
Are you sure you're not part jew ? :tongue

Incal
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
The love of money is the root of all evil.

Timothy 6:10

Azalea
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM

I am not sure actually. It is possible. :D

But to be honest, I am terrible when it comes to saving money. I know everything about budgeting and all. I can sit and make a planning on how to save money, how to get the cheap stuff etc., but in the end, I can never stick to the budget and spend money like water. I like money very much but I value it too little. The fact that I don't even have a wallet and that my money and cards are floating around in my pockets and handbags tells a lot about my relationship with money. :D

dado
02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
just like ashina i dont have wallet

i just like that feeling when i find in my pockets money that i've completely forget off... forgetting money in pockets is the only way for me to put some money aside

Incal
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Linkus, during wintertime I eat fruits and vegetables that were gathered and prepared during summer and autumn. I'm sure you recognize this:
http://www.lvportals.lv/wwwraksti/TEMAS/2009/JUNIJS/BILDES_LIELAS/PHP5FHH5E_PAGRABS[1].JPG

Cabbages, carrots, rutabagas stay fresh during the whole winter as well as potatoes (which I eat rarely because I prefer rise and buckwheat) and I don't eat meat that much or that often (if I could I'd eat only fish). I eat quite a lot of frozen berries, like strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries. I generally don't eat cooked veggies... I love milk products, eggs, porridge.
I sometimes buy bananas, which I do even during summertime because we simply don't grow them here, or grapefruit, but not that often since I'm not a fan of citrus fruits.
During summertime I eat all the fresh veggies and fruits right from the garden, I love blueberries!!!

And once more about meat... we buy it from local farmers that we personally know. For example, my friend's parents own a little farm where they grow chickens, so that's where I get chicken meat and I know that they don't use any chemicals. It's fresh and healthy.

Your post just gave me a blast of nostalgia. That's how my relatives in Germany live. I think you'd love my german family.

Knoxwolf865
02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Money has been an important thing to me as it would be for anyone born into poverty. However, as I make more of it, I realize I don't have the same gratitude towards things as I did when I was younger. I also realize that my goals grow with relation to my income.

First my goal was to get out of poverty. Successfully accomplishing that my major goal is now to own property. Money is a tool to get things you need or want to do, (hopefully) great things. I do wish there was a way the world could function without it, and of course there is, but in present times it is absolutely necessary. Its like the blood force of society... of the individual.

Money does terrible things, but with the right mindset you can use money in a way that it becomes a powerful force in your life, but it requires an absolute reprogramming about the way you think about it. I am a frugal person. Every dollar has a right place to go for me. No dollar is unaccounted for. And all is used as my little army in order to enhance my life. Buying cheaply made commodities and junk just contributes to the problem of money and its that kind of behavior that keeps a person enslaved into having to constantly make more of it. I don't want to stop making it, but I want out of the trap of having to invest such a large portion of my time to attain it. It prevents me from achieving greatness.

However, I do like to romanticize about the days when my great grandfather made 2 dollars for a day of work and lived in a small cabin in a mostly forested homestead. He would travel 2 weeks on horseback to work states away (no lie). People were different back then. They didn't have so many needs and wants. They were more independent. I like to think of what life would be like if these great revolutions of the past 400 years didn't sweep up the western world. If guilds were still around. If people still lived in mostly rural settings. If people's home life was intricately linked to their work life. I think Capitalism has done a lot for the West, just as much as it has destroyed a lot of crucial things I adore.

Bottom line. I hate money. I love money. I can't deny the reality I have been born into. The times have changed and the more money I can acquire the more stable and free I can make my station in life. But I still regard it as an evil, filthy thing.

Dandelion
02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

No dog food for the 'she-wolf'? :biggrin:

Dandelion
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM

She's adopted Dutch frugal culture to be precise. ;)

Acquisitor
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
just like ashina i dont have wallet

i just like that feeling when i find in my pockets money that i've completely forget off... forgetting money in pockets is the only way for me to put some money aside

what about found money ? ;) you walk on a street and see a nice €20 bill on the road.. mnn

Äike
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Are you kidding ?
Shittest pasta with shitty ketchup and cheese cost 1€ per lunch in average for me(thank god I don't eat that everyday) . so 2€ a day,not even counting the breakfast .
It's 60€ per months and by eating the worst cheapest shittest food ever .With 50€ you just starve ,I spend 200€ for food each month and I eat shit and I only drink water most of the time .Well the supermarket near where I live is fucking expansive too and the other super/hyper-market are too far from where i live and i don't have a car.

50 euros? Are you serious? It's around 35 Lats, and only by eating bad food and not eating properly (having at least two meals a day), not drinking coffee or tea, just water from crane, maybe I'd manage to live like that for about two weeks max, especially during wintertime.

Food is rather expensive in Estonia. In 2011, a journalist made a test. He bought the cheapest ticket to Bremen (Germany) from Estonia, flew there. Stayed in the cheapest hostel for one night, went to a local supermarket (Lidl, I guess) to stock up on food (literally stock up, he mostly bought cheese and sausage, as the prices are radically cheaper) and flew back to Estonia.

Buying food in Germany + travel expenses (flying to Germany and back + hostel) it was still cheaper than going to a local supermarket in Tallinn.

I manage to get by with 50 euros a month spent on food, even with the high food prices in Estonia. I'm a student who has no time to work beside studying.

Äike
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
what about found money ? ;) you walk on a street and see a nice €20 bill on the road.. mnn

One time I was a song festival in Southern-Estonia, Viljandi. I saw some girl running at me and picking something up from the ground, it was just beside my leg. It was a 20 Euro bill O_O. I hated myself for being so blind, well it was dark outside...

Acquisitor
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
One time I was a song festival in Southern-Estonia, Viljandi. I saw some girl running at me and picking something up from the ground, it was just beside my leg. It was a 20 Euro bill O_O. I hated myself for being so blind, well it was dark outside...

Not long ago I was walking in the train station, it was very crowded and I saw a €20 bill on the ground, I quickly realized it was going to end up in my pocket, so I instantly picked it up and walked further like nothing has happened. Glad nobody else saw me and tried to claim that it belonged to him ;)

finding money is nice

larali
02-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Once when I was a kid, I found a $100 bill, but it turned out to be fake money. :P Boo.

If there are people around that might have dropped the money, I'd probably leave it alone or call out, but if no one is around-- who wouldn't take it?

chestneym
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
If I could have my needs met without money, I would be all for it. I'm not an extravagant person and I don't usually buy things I don't need. I would keep the job I had even if I wasn't paid to work.

Graham
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
My brother found something like £100 & gave it to the police. No one claimed it, so he got the money back. :)

Austo
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
My brother found something like £100 & gave it to the police. No one claimed it, so he got the money back. :)

That was a bad idea from him. He should have given it to me.

Äike
02-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Crazy story:

A friend of my friend who worked in a club as the guy taking coats, checked the club's floor in the morning, checking if someone had dropped anything.

He found a wallet... And inside the wallet there was a small pure gold plate worth about 300 euros.

Acquisitor
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Crazy story:

A friend of my friend who worked in a club as the guy taking coats, checked the club's floor in the morning, checking if someone had dropped anything.

He found a wallet... And inside the wallet there was a small pure gold plate worth about 300 euros.

cant be, it's likely 10 gr 999.9 gold, then its worth +-375 not 300.

Äike
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
cant be, it's likely 10 gr 999.9 gold, then its worth +-375 not 300.

Possible, I'm not Jewish, thus I don't know the price of gold from my head...

You're like... a stereotypical Jew. lol

Acquisitor
02-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Possible, I'm not Jewish, thus I don't know the price of gold from my head...

You're like... a stereotypical Jew. lol

gold has fallen around 17% recently :\

Germanicus
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM

I work in London from Monday to Friday, it is very expensive to live there, everything costs more.

The firm I work for reimburses all expenses for me whilst I am there.
Suffice to say my wages for putting myself out, and staying in London are pretty good.

AztekBengal
03-02-2013, 04:03 AM
Everything i love money more than my baby mama

Germanicus
03-02-2013, 10:06 AM
What does money mean to me?:

When I was young it was £s shillings and pence, money was tight, but we did not suffer, because my parents both worked.
I had an older brother that dominated me, and I had all of the leftovers.
When I started work for the first time I was a low paid apprentice and spent 4 years learning my trade.
I married young..too young, and experienced poverty for the first time, as I got older money came easy to me, I applied myself to earn a lot through hard work.
Now I am older, I am comfortable, I own my own house, I have pensions and savings in the bank, all of this I have acquired through diligence and the need to drag myself out of poverty.
Financially I am secure, it is comforting in the knowledge that I could buy at a whim any new car I desire if I wished.

Acquisitor
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
What does money mean to me?:

When I was young it was £s shillings and pence, money was tight, but we did not suffer, because my parents both worked.
I had an older brother that dominated me, and I had all of the leftovers.
When I started work for the first time I was a low paid apprentice and spent 4 years learning my trade.
I married young..too young, and experienced poverty for the first time, as I got older money came easy to me, I applied myself to earn a lot through hard work.
Now I am older, I am comfortable, I own my own house, I have pensions and savings in the bank, all of this I have acquired through diligence and the need to drag myself out of poverty.
Financially I am secure, it is comforting in the knowledge that I could buy at a whim any new car I desire if I wished.

great post! probably the best in the topic.

Kazimiera
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
---> moved to Philosophy

Germaniac
10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I like money, it's nice. I have had times of adoring money, but, at the end of the day, I always prioritise people I like over money. Money is important, yes, but it's Family and friends that count the most.

Baluarte
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Can't deny the jew.

Same impression here.

CrystalMaiden
10-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I remember my parents showing me a 100 ruble banknote (highest in Soviet Union) and I could not believe how beautiful it was, it had something very special in it.

I highly doubt that... (http://imagehaul.com/thehauls/thumbs/4033c04bb46ad92f47f4f0167672bb96_940.jpg)

larali
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
As of right now, money means:

A new roof, kids' schooling, savings, mortgage, car payments (2), home improvements and investments, among other things.

Don't have money for any of that so I might as well go buy a hamburger.

CrystalMaiden
10-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Don't have money for any of that so I might as well go buy a hamburger.

Amerikansky logic :o

curupira
10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I like money, but of course there are things which are more important, such as family, education, health, etc. It is important but one should not get too focused on it, life is very short, and too much energy/focus on acquiring or making it grow are a waste of one's life IMO.

Corvus
10-08-2013, 08:08 PM

LOL you are funny, € 1.000,- may appear much for Estonian standards, in Western Europe it is barely enough to survive

Aunt Hilda
10-09-2013, 05:30 AM
I pay 500£ rent + 60£ bills, about 150£ on food(and mineral water) and about 200£ on going out and clothes every month.
needless to say l live on a tight budget and love it when my parents decide to make a bit more happy :o

Prisoner Of Ice
10-09-2013, 05:31 AM
freedom

Acquisitor
10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
the new $100 is a disappointment imo :\ it kinda lost its magical "dollar" attraction

http://dailyoftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/100.jpg

it kinda approaches money from the movie "Idiocracy"

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/jasonkinnard/idiocracy_money.jpg

Caismeachd
10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
The new $100 just looks like British money from about 20 years ago.

Money is important to me. I always have to make sure I have enough of it but I don't want to live with it all consuming me and my only interest if I can help it. It's nice though when you have more of it than you need. I was able to save enough to move from US to Europe. I was so focused that I was able to save more in 5 months than I had all of my adult working life even though I had much higher paying jobs in the past. So whats most important about money is how wisely you spend it rather than just how much of it you make.

Incal
10-09-2013, 11:01 PM
So whats most important about money is how wisely you spend it rather than just how much of it you make.

Totally agreed on this Rob.

Yaroslav
10-09-2013, 11:05 PM
"Dirty paper used to get things"

It is not money that is the root of all evil, it is the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil:

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:10

Neanderthal
10-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Nothing, meaningless.

de Burgh II
07-13-2014, 04:01 AM
Its enables us to survive in the world today, pay bills, buy things you need, etc. I see it nothing more than something that we need in order to survive in the world today. I personally do see it just as a piece of paper; but, its value for one's survival holds that very importance in its own right.

Óttar
07-13-2014, 04:19 AM
I'm surprised that money has become a universal thing. Like Mike Tyson said, "Money is paper blood." People die without it, and I think it is sinister. Generally speaking, handicapped people and oppressed poor people can't generate as much or don't have as much opportunity to do so.

Aviator
07-13-2014, 04:22 AM
More flight hours.

pinguino
07-13-2014, 04:23 AM
Money is power.

arcticwolf
07-13-2014, 10:23 PM
It means I can pay my bills.

Though, I believe in living a very simple life, where needs are taken care of and wants are evaluated, and fulfilled, when they become needs instead of just a caprice.

Living clean, simple, ethical and unassuming life solves 95% of the problems in life.

So I do not need much money, and what I have I manage wisely, but I am not attached to it. As I said it pays for necessities.

Cleitus
07-13-2014, 10:26 PM
A medium for might, thats what it is today.

Raven_
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Money for me is a tool to get things I want. If I had to spend money on things I don't appreciate or had money, but could not spend them on anything, then they'd be worthless.
There are people who save every spare cent and live poorly even though they earn enough. Some others spend money on useless shit like clothes, cars, etc. I don't relate to neither of these two groups.

The older I get, the less I feel need to get things for showing off. Sometimes I have to force myself not to be so ascetic. Sometimes I spend money carelessly. Sometimes I give away my money (i don't earn much at all!). I'd like to be more concrete and motivated in what I should spend my money for. I am a not a good spender.

Scandalf
07-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Mo money, mo problems.

Salvatoree
07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
To get bitches

Taiga Lake
07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't care about money itself, but the stuff i can buy with it

glass
07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
I am modest and not greedy, it is just paper,
i earn much more than i spend, so i might have not yet learned to love money or really care about money or my spendings.

Leadchucker
07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Money for me is a tool to get things I want.....

Pretty much my thoughts. :thumb001:

Scandalf
07-14-2014, 06:26 PM
To get bitches

You don't need money for that. All it takes is the attitude.

Neanderthal
07-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Hard Drugs.

vibrant_
07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
To me money is an illusion. So many people are slaves to money and it's sad. I don't want money to ever be an issue for me when I'm older, financial freedom is the only option for me.

Corvus
07-14-2014, 06:59 PM
To me money is an illusion. So many people are slaves to money and it's sad. I don't want money to ever be an issue for me when I'm older, financial freedom is the only option for me.

Without money you are powerless. Its actually the 2nd most important thing for me after health

Neanderthal
07-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Hi. I'm looking for sponsors. PM me.

OldWayGuy
07-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Power

Äijä
07-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Without money you are powerless. Its actually the 2nd most important thing for me after health

Actually power and the potential to project power is the most valuable thing in the world, money is only a projection and it can turn worthless overnight.

Anyone that is depended of the money supply, controlled by others, for basic survival is a slave under it.
Only thing to counter this is to own something coming from the planet earth that has value, crop, minerals, oil etc..

Anyone see a pattern with anything of real value moving under global giants using monopoly money. :rolleyes:

Dombra
07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Freedom

TheBlondeSalad
07-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Security, freedom, power and happiness (sad but true).

Drawing-slim
07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
The freedom it would provide..living a quite existence.
But I would not feel good if it was simply handed to me though. I like to earn my money then enjoy it.

Hubal
07-14-2014, 09:52 PM
independence

Salvatoree
07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
fuck money i need them only for weed

Scandalf
07-15-2014, 06:06 AM
independence

I was a fan of the anime from which your avatar comes from!