PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest surname/last name you've come across?

Armando Esteban Quito
02-21-2013, 06:14 AM
What is the strangest, funniest, or weirdest last name that you've seen in your language and region?

I've met a guy once with the name 'Shawn Drinkwater', which I thought was a bit strange and comical. Other than that I can't think of any names that have made such an impact in my memory.
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Drinkwater

Sikeliot
02-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Spottedcrow. :lol:

And this is not THAT funny but I still get a kick out of the Sicilian surname Spiteri. It's just funny to say out loud.

Caismeachd
02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Not the strangest last name but along those lines

http://www.fausports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/morgan_yourhighness00.html

American_Hispanist
02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Deogaygay (Filipino guy from my high school. he was the butt of the jokes from my classmates because of his surname, lol).

alfieb
02-21-2013, 06:24 AM
I was going through financial records at work, and saw a recent credit card transaction that had gone through. The name on the card read "I. M. FISHBERG"

I nearly pissed myself.

Armando Esteban Quito
02-21-2013, 06:24 AM
One of my close friend's name is literally Perfect. His full name is Alejandro Perfecto- quite interesting in my opinion.

Armando Esteban Quito
02-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Not the strangest last name but along those lines

http://www.fausports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/morgan_yourhighness00.html

Did you actually come across this person?

RussiaPrussia
02-21-2013, 06:28 AM
I was going through financial records at work, and saw a recent credit card transaction that had gone through. The name on the card read "I. M. FISHBERG"

I nearly pissed myself.

thats actually german, the guy is either jewish or german.

it means fish hill or fish pile

Han Cholo
02-21-2013, 06:30 AM
"Walter Overdick", "Elma Madero", "Rolando Mota del Campo", "Ulises Carapálida", "Armando Casas", "Jorge Negrotte", "Jeremías Canijo", "Giovanni Verga", "Moctezumo Cacama y Pipitztli", "Roberto Cabeza de Vaca", "Luis Gerardo Canicas", "Madd Twatter", "Tao Long Dong"

Sikeliot
02-21-2013, 06:31 AM
"Walter Overdick"

:lol: :lol: o.0

AlexandraD
02-21-2013, 06:32 AM
i knew a guy once named "jesus del toro". i always find the name 'jesus' to be strange on modern people. when i heard the name i thought of a cross between jesus and benicio del toro with a little halo over his head and giggled a little :P

alfieb
02-21-2013, 06:36 AM
thats actually german, the guy is either jewish or german.

it means fish hill or fish pile

I later met the gentleman. He's the model for "Der Ewige Jude".

And, I thought in German it was fisch, not fish?

Sikeliot
02-21-2013, 06:37 AM

I know someone whose last name is Fisch, too.

Armando Esteban Quito
02-21-2013, 06:41 AM
"Walter Overdick", "Elma Madero", "Rolando Mota del Campo", "Ulises Carapálida", "Armando Casas", "Jorge Negrotte", "Jeremías Canijo", "Giovanni Verga", "Moctezumo Cacama y Pipitztli", "Roberto Cabeza de Vaca", "Luis Gerardo Canicas"

http://www.snarksquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/MauryLaughing.gif

RussiaPrussia
02-21-2013, 06:52 AM
I later met the gentleman. He's the model for "Der Ewige Jude".

german or jewish people often anglicize their surname in america.

Gauthier
02-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Cabeza de Vaca ( Cow Head), hilarious surname.

Bobby Six Killer
02-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Perez-Gay

AlexandraD
02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Perez-Gay

if you are talking about perez hilton, yes what an awful name :$ terribly annoying name for a terribly annoying person aha

Methmatician
02-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Cockram

Gospodine
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Longbottom is a surname I've encountered more than once in Australia.

I also had a Croatian teacher in Australia whose last name was Perica. Normally Perica is pronounced Peritsa in Serbo-Croat but this being Australia everyone called him Mr. "Perika". Perika coincidentally means "wig". And he was bald. :laugh:
He hated me after I explained that to everyone.

I also think the Irish surname Fitzgibbon is retarded. Some of the original non-Anglicized Irish surnames are actually incredibly simple to pronounce but spelled in such a way that you could never figure that out for yourself.

For instance the very simple surname of O'Haggerty is actually spelled O'Heigceartaigh, lol. Another one is O'Maoilmhiadhaigh which is just O'Malvey. You get my point.

I used to know two people with the surnames of Slaughter and Savage respectively. They both played sports (football and rugby); I always thought it looked awesome to have SLAUGHTER and SAVAGE on the back of your jersey in capital letters.

Smaug
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Thomaz Turbano
Armando Tenda
Jacinto Pinto

Only neo-Latin speakers will get these ;)

Partizan
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Leziz Hakan

(delicious Khagan for a lady?!?!)

Graham
02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Deogaygay, poor lad. Haha.

Sikeliot
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I also think the Irish surname Fitzgibbon is retarded. Some of the original non-Anglicized Irish surnames are actually incredibly simple to pronounce but spelled in such a way that you could never figure that out for yourself.

The funniest Irish surname in the world has got to be "McGillicuddy". I once didn't believe it was a real name and assumed it was made up but nope. There is an Irish woman in my town who has it.

Äike
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Seawitt, it's a German surname. Also Seavitt.

In Estonian it literally means "pig's cunt"

No Estonian has such a last name, though.

larali
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I had to give a telephone survey to a man named Boogar or Boogard.... I couldn't stop laughing and had to hang up on him.

Gauthier
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Pickles & Pepper.

Methusalem
02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Seawitt, it's a German surname. Also Seavitt.

In Estonian it literally means "pig's cunt"

No Estonian has such a last name, though.

Seawitt is not a German surname.

Äike
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Seawitt is not a German surname.

It's not common, but it's a German surname. I've only seen Germans having that surname.

AlexandraD
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Longbottom is a surname I've encountered more than once in Australia.

I also had a Croatian teacher in Australia whose last name was Perica. Normally Perica is pronounced Peritsa in Serbo-Croat but this being Australia everyone called him Mr. "Perika". Perika coincidentally means "wig". And he was bald. :laugh:
He hated me after I explained that to everyone.

For instance the very simple surname of O'Haggerty is actually spelled O'Heigceartaigh, lol. Another one is O'Maoilmhiadhaigh which is just O'Malvey. You get my point.

I used to know two people with the surnames of Slaughter and Savage respectively. They both played sports (football and rugby); I always thought it looked awesome to have SLAUGHTER and SAVAGE on the back of your jersey in capital letters.

looooool, reminds me of the reason i am too scared to go to irish/english pubs and get irish/scottish anything... i ordered a drink once and pretty much EVERYONE there was yelling "thats not how its pronounced you dummy!"

Geni
02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Tonyfivebeers..

bella1407
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
His last name sounds horrible in Russian language.

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I had to give a telephone survey to a man named Boogar or Boogard.... I couldn't stop laughing and had to hang up on him.

A hockey player who passed away last May was surnamed Boogaard.

Derek Leendert Boogaard[1] (/ˈboʊɡɑrd/BOH-gard; later /ˈbuːɡɑrd/ BOO-gard; June 23, 1982 – May 13, 2011)[2] was a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger who played for the Minnesota Wild and the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League (NHL).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Boogaard

This is a Galician surname that shows up in Ourense: Boo

gregorius
02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Naaktgeboren means born naked
Constant Lam Means Always drunk

Roy
02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
His last name sounds horrible in Russian language.

In Polish as well

My mother knew a lady who had a surname Kiełbasa-Krakowska. In translation to english it means ''Cracovian Sausage''. Kiełbasa Krakowska is also a common name used for some type of sausage in butchers. Her surname derive from a popular habit of receiving husband's surname as a second part of yours or your new. In her case it came out funny.

undergroundninja
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
there are a lot of arabian surnames that sound funny in croatian,serbian and bosnian
like ''Al Jebali'' which in these languages literally means ''they fucked'' (Oni su Jebali),and also i saw surname ''Al Usrah'' ,Usrah means ''Shit''.

Arbërori
02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
As a fan of Olivia Wilde, I always found her real surname Cockburn hilarious. :lol: