PDA

View Full Version : The coldest inhabited place on Earth

Madonna
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
On 6 February 1933, a temperature of minus 67.7 degrees Celsius (−90 °F) was recorded at the weather station in Oymyakon in the Republic of Sakha, northeast Russia. This is the lowest temperature ever recorded in the northern hemisphere, and is the lowest temperature ever recorded for any permanently inhabited location on Earth. This picture gallery looks at
Ruslan, 35, loads blocks of ice onto a truck outside Yakutsk, capital of the Republic of Sakha
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/ice-blocks_2484498k.jpg

The ground in the Oymyakon valley is permanently frozen (continuous permafrost). Despite the harsh climate, people live in the valley, and the area is equipped with schools, a post office, a bank, and even an airport runway (although it's open only in the summer).
The roof of a house is covered with snow in the village of Tomtor in the Oymyakon valley
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/icicles_2484501k.jpg

Only Antarctica has recorded lower official temperatures, with the record low being minus 89.2 degrees Celsius (−129 °F) near the Russian station of Vostok.
Traffic lights in Yakutsk are encrusted in snow and ice
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/traffic-lights_2484516k.jpg

Ice sculptures constructed for the celebration of Orthodox Epiphany are seen on the Lena river, outside Yakutsk
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/ice-sculpture_2484494k.jpg

A man takes a dip in the icy waters of the Lena River inside a tent to celebrate Orthodox Epiphany
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/winter-swimmer_2484500k.jpg

A car drives through the snow at night near Vostochnaya meteorological station, some 500 km northeast of Yakutsk
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/car-snow_2484521k.jpg

A woman passes a board on a building, displaying the local time, temperature, humidity and air pressure in Yakutsk
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/temperature-board_2484515k.jpg

A car covered in ice is pictured near a playground in Yakutsk
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/parked-car_2484502k.jpg

A man walks through a courtyard in Yakutsk
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02484/city-square_2484520k.jpg

Pallantides
02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
And I thought -37° was cold...

Madonna
02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
how its possible to live in almost minus 70 :D

Twistedmind
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Lot of vodka?

Austo
02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
how its possible to live in almost minus 70 :D

The coldest i ever saw was -40 grades when i was skiing on a mountain.
That was very very cold.

Tropico
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
my blood would freeze. kudos to them. thats a harsh life.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Incredible really. If there's somewhere it's physically possible to live, someone will be living there.

Madonna
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
The coldest i ever saw was -40 grades when i was skiing on a mountain.
That was very very cold.

you are borreby :D they dont feel cold at all :D

Austo
02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
you are borreby :D they dont feel cold at all :D

:D I know

But -40 grades with storm also a borreby get cold :)

Madonna
02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
:D I know

But -40 grades with storm also a borreby get cold :)

you are not affraid of anything :) :D

Austo
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
you are not affraid of anything :) :D

:evil thats right.

Only maybe, i am afraid that Twistedmind is faster than me again, and i cant kiss you.

Sarmatian
02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
This is what happens to boiling water at -41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhcj_RjA0s

Madonna
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Ive seen this clip its great :D

Smaug
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
-89.9ºC in Vostok, Antarctica!

Southern Hemisphere rules!!!! xD

Jackson
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
-89.9ºC in Vostok, Antarctica!

Southern Hemisphere rules!!!! xD

Unless you like being above your own freezing temperature. :P

Smaug
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Well here where I live 3ºC-8ºC are ordinary winter temperatures, but last autumn we got -4ºC here in São Paulo we almost decreted the end of the world!

In the mountains region the temperature can drop to -20ºC though, with a wind chill of -40ºC!!! =O
I bet most of you didn't even know we could get such temperatures here.

Hoca
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
People are shorter there. Shorter people have better blood circulation because of short arms and legs. Tall people won't survive there. Darwins rule will take care of that.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
People are shorter there. Shorter people have better blood circulation because of short arms and legs. Tall people won't survive there. Darwins rule will take care of that.

True. Better to be short and stocky in cold climates.

Dacul
02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Lol,if you eat a lot of animal fat and you have enough NW/NE european/North asian admixture is no problem.
I do not recommend people that do not have proper genetics to eat lots of animal fat,you will get ill at liver and get your cholesterol raised at high values in no time.

evon
02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Ive been in about -45c, thats pretty cold, but its very dry, so it dosnt feel as cold as more humid warmer temperature...not my climate though, i take the Atlantic climate over the Siberian any time...

Žołnir
02-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Well austo lives in Alpine area where weather is really moisty throuought the year so cold weather can be fucking anoying even at higher - temperatures. :D

evon
02-21-2013, 08:41 PM

You need to be used to it too, and have high body fat %, otherwise you can be stocky as you want, and you will still be worse of then a climatized maasai with enough body fat %...

Dacul
02-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Ive been in about -45c, thats pretty cold, but its very dry, so it dosnt feel as cold as more humid warmer temperature...not my climate though, i take the Atlantic climate over the Siberian any time...

Well I saw that NE Norway got very low temperatures.

evon
02-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I saw that NE Norway got very low temperatures.

The coldest parts in Norway are usually inland regions, in South, Central and Far Northern, the rest is mild:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Klimasoner_i_Norge.png/250px-Klimasoner_i_Norge.png

Dacul
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Well I read that most coldest area from Norway is Finnmark,there it was recorded coldest temperature from Norway ever:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnmark#Climate
It was -51.4 degrees Celsius.

Dandelion
02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Resilient humans live there. I wonder how people managed this even before the modern age. Today it's even nearly impossible, but was is like a hundred years ago?

Slycooper
02-21-2013, 08:57 PM
-15 here is cold as hell.

Hayalet
02-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Duh, it's obvious the Turkic master race will survive in all conditions. :ranger:

Dandelion
02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
At 0°C my hands turn red already and I need to use gloves when working outside (like surveying for instance). That is just the way my body reacts. Then again: 0°C or -15°C, hardly a difference to me as long as I have protection.

Still, for cold winters alone I doubt I'd thrive in Northern Europe. Searing hot temperatures, however, I can take like a pro. Been in Córdoba and Sevilla during July before and these are among the hottest places in Europe.

Pallantides
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Last winter it was -37 in northern Hedmark, also there was -39 recorded in Ringerike and -36 in Hallingdal two years ago.

In 1987 it was –47 in Drevsjø, Hedmark, which I think is the East Norwegian record.

Austo
02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Well austo lives in Alpine area where weather is really moisty throuought the year so cold weather can be fucking anoying even at higher - temperatures. :D

Yes very much.
Especially where i live it is very moist.
Some years ago it was normal that we had over 2 m snow in winter. (not on the mountain, on the mountain much more meters)
In the morning when i went out the house -25 grades is normal. :heh:

evon
02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Well I read that most coldest area from Norway is Finnmark,there it was recorded coldest temperature from Norway ever:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnmark#Climate
It was -51.4 degrees Celsius.

Yes, its interior parts though, not the coast...

To quote Wiki on the matter:

Temperature

The coast experiences much milder winters than other areas at the same latitudes. The temperature difference from the coldest month to the warmest is only 11–15 °C (52–59 °F) in coastal areas; some lighthouses have a year amplitude of just 10 °C (18 °F), such as Svinøy in Herøy with a coldest month of 2.7 °C (36.9 °F).[9] The amplitude of inland areas are larger, with a maximum of 30 °C (86 °F) in Karasjok. Finnmarksvidda has the coldest winters in mainland Norway, but inland areas much further south can also see severe cold; Røros has recorded −50 °C (−58 °F) and Tynset has a January average −13 °C (9 °F).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Norway#Climate

Graham
02-21-2013, 09:13 PM
pffft wimps, get on with it! Bacteria lives stronger.

Lichen laughs in their face.

Dombra
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Ill never complain about a late spring again :<
Though I would rather live in such a place than a negrojungle

evon
02-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Ill never complain about a late spring again :<
Though I would rather live in such a place than a negrojungle

I am eagerly waiting for spring, so sick of winter already... :(

SKYNET
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I wonder, if a man will piss somewhere outside lol

Dacul
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I think that area (Republic of Sakha) is fitting Pallantides much better as climate.
Norway I think is too warm for him.

Twistedmind
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I think that area (Republic of Sakha) is fitting Pallantides much better as climate.
Norway I think is too warm for him.

Yes. Pallantides is northern Indo-Germanized Turanic, and Yakuts are Turkic people, he would be among his own kin, besaides living in place which suits his way of living.

Roy
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
bhrrrrr ... way too cold. I'm not resistant to cold at all and have breathing difficulties even in -10/-15 which is rather common winter temperature in Poland. No matter how many layers of clothes I'm wearing I always freeze. I'm amazed that people in England can go outside almost without clothes and they don't seem to feel cold (I know temperatures there are different but stilll ... )

rhiannon
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
you are borreby :D they dont feel cold at all :DOMG thanks for saying this lol. I opened this thread and thought to myself:
I could live there lol. I am a cold lover, and have spent time in temps around -40 without a heavy coat on at all. People classify me as mostly Borreby/Bruenn, as is the majority of my family. My one brother looks more Borreby than the others, and he handles the cold much the same way I do:cool:

We have higher body fat % even if we're not overweight. Short arms, average legs, average to tall, and stocky lol (hate that word).

The Russians are some hardy-ass individuals. Kudos to them!!

Jackson
02-21-2013, 11:18 PM
bhrrrrr ... way too cold. I'm not resistant to cold at all and have breathing difficulties even in -10/-15 which is rather common winter temperature in Poland. No matter how many layers of clothes I'm wearing I always freeze. I'm amazed that people in England can go outside almost without clothes and they don't seem to feel cold (I know temperatures there are different but stilll ... )

We're just not used to dealing with it being very cold, like below -10. It's often difficult to gauge temperature here. For example a lot of the time it is freezing in the early morning and within an hour or two it can be quite warm and sunny. So you end up chilled on the way there and sweating on the way back. :P
So of course people go 'ah fuck it' and go out in t shirts in cold weather. Usually they are OK though because we don't get extreme temperatures, but it's easy to die of exposure even in our mild, forgiving climate if you are not careful.

It would be good to see a graph or something that showed what f.e -20 in dry conditions feels like (temperature wise) in humid Atlantic conditions, and the same for high temperatures. Because people talk about -20 or -30 and going by what i'm used to it would seem like you would have to walk around in a cocoon of cold weather gear, huddled with other people in order to stay outside for more than 10 minutes.

Wind-chill is important as well. Like today for instance we had freezing winds but the temperature itself was comfortable, so you are constantly feeling the change between above and below freezing which is annoying.

Kazimiera
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
I have never experienced anything this cold before. :(

The lowest I've ever been in was probably around -5.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
I remember reading last year when there was a cold snap about a man in Poland or Ukraine, who froze to death on the way back from a funeral. Cruel world sometimes. And ironic.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Maybe it feels colder in Britain than it says on the tin because it is almost always damp and humid, and overcast when it is cold. Although it's still a mild place overall. I think a few mountainous areas sometimes get -15 or rarely -20. We had a few bad winters in the past though, like 1963 and 1947, where rivers froze (including the Thames) and there were small icebergs in major shipping areas. :P

Used to be colder though, 400 years ago the Thames would freeze over on many winters.

Roy
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Maybe it feels colder in Britain than it says on the tin because it is almost always damp and humid, and overcast when it is cold. Although it's still a mild place overall. I think a few mountainous areas sometimes get -15 or rarely -20. We had a few bad winters in the past though, like 1963 and 1947, where rivers froze (including the Thames) and there were small icebergs in major shipping areas. :P

Used to be colder though, 400 years ago the Thames would freeze over on many winters.

You can see it on Brueghel's landscapes. Then (XVII century) the climate was much harsher. Sometimes this era is called ''Little Ice Age'' which lasted from late Middle Ages to 1850 (latest Alpine Glacial maximum). Brueghels catched the coldest period of it ''Maunder Minimum'' (from 1645 to 1715). These periods are associated with changes in solar activity. In these years there were little to none sun spots recorded.

rhiannon
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM

The climate in Britain is pretty similar to the climate here in the Pacific Northwest United States...or at least the part that's west of the Cascades. This kind of cold can be very difficult to tolerate for individuals with rheumatism of any sort. My husband has a difficult time on particularly damp days.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
The climate in Britain is pretty similar to the climate here in the Pacific Northwest United States...or at least the part that's west of the Cascades. This kind of cold can be very difficult to tolerate for individuals with rheumatism of any sort. My husband has a difficult time on particularly damp days.

Indeed, the damp permeates, the cold wind blows and makes it more a matter of the weather wearing you away. :P
Of course the place mostly looks dark and wet and overcast, and we don't get much snow in most areas - So it can be depressing if you don't like winter i imagine.
Winters in Britain are more a case of being constantly slightly uncomfortable, rather than freezing to death. Fortunately. It's good when it's a bit above freezing and not too windy. Aids in mental focus without being too uncomfortable.

Anglojew
02-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Russian engineering is very underrated considering such harsh conditions.

Lemon Kush
02-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Well here in Southern California it never goes below freezing or even less than 10 degrees C for that matter. So I think I'm good when it comes to freezing to death. :) I can pretty much wear shorts and short sleeves all year round. :D

RussiaPrussia
02-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Duh, it's obvious the Turkic master race will survive in all conditions. :ranger:
:picard2:
50% are russians there, we even managed to make orthodox gates out of ice in that temperature. Or do you think yakut made that?

http://www2m.biglobe.ne.jp/%257eZenTech/English/Climate/Russia/Russia_Climate_Map.gif

amerinese
02-22-2013, 03:29 AM
We have a town / outpost called Barrow, Alaska which I would expect to be equal to these Siberian towns, as far as the level of cold-weather hardship.

http://www.climatemps.com/graph/barrow-alaska_files/image001.gif

rhiannon
02-22-2013, 04:17 AM
We have a town / outpost called Barrow, Alaska which I would expect to be equal to these Siberian towns, as far as the level of cold-weather hardship.

http://www.climatemps.com/graph/barrow-alaska_files/image001.gif

I've been to Barrow....it was about -40 and I went outside without a heavy coat on. I did have on gloves, though. It was awesome!

rhiannon
02-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Well here in Southern California it never goes below freezing or even less than 10 degrees C for that matter. So I think I'm good when it comes to freezing to death. :) I can pretty much wear shorts and short sleeves all year round. :DI grew up in socal and was still living there when we had a severe coldsnap where the temps dipped into the mid 20s at night. This was circa 1988....a few people actually did freeze to death because we heard about it on the news that year.

Qemist
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I grew up in socal and was still living there when we had a severe coldsnap where the temps dipped into the mid 20s at night. This was circa 1988....a few people actually did freeze to death because we heard about it on the news that year.

When there is a cold snap in a warm place you can get mass dyings. The temperature dropped to 5° C in New Delhi recently and over 100 people died of exposure.

Madonna
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
When there is a cold snap in a warm place you can get mass dyings. The temperature dropped to 5° C in New Delhi recently and over 100 people died of exposure.

wow seriously?

Kazimiera
02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
wow seriously?

Yes. And in colder climates people start dying of heat exhaustion when it gets to 30+ ° C.

Pallantides
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes. And in colder climates people start dying of heat exhaustion when it gets to 30+ ° C.

That's only the sick and destitute, normal and healthy people usually don't die from a heath wave.

Twistedmind
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM

I dont know, in same year I experience both +40 °C and -20 °C. But, I guess you think about people living in equatorial and subpolar regions. Second temperature was just few days ago.

Madonna
02-22-2013, 09:31 AM

no thats not true ;) look on Ukraine - winter minus 30-35 , summer plus 30/35 :D

Kazimiera
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
no thats not true ;) look on Ukraine - winter minus 30-35 , summer plus 30/35 :D

I'm just going on the heatwave stats in Russia from 2010, with Moscow reaching 38° C.

The intense heat wave that centered on western Russia last summer was truly a record breaker. It surpassed even 2003's scorcher in western and central Europe — which has been blamed for 70,000 deaths. And together, both of these mega heat waves have secured a place in the 500-year weather history of Europe, according to a new analysis.

The researchers also looked ahead, and found that a variety of different climate models predict an increase in mega heat waves similar to these in the 21st century for two regions within Europe.

From late July until the second week in August 2010, record heat settled across 772,204 square miles (2 million square kilometers) in Russia and Eastern Europe. In Moscow, the daytime temperatures reached 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38.2 degrees Celsius), in Kiev, nights reached 77 F (25 C), crops were destroyed, fires swept across western Russia, and preliminary estimates now put the Russian death toll at 55,000.

http://www.livescience.com/13296-european-russia-heat-waves-climate-change.html

Qemist
02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
That's only the sick and destitute, normal and healthy people usually don't die from a heath wave.

Also the elderly are prone to die in a heatwave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave#France).

wow seriously?

North India cold snap toll rises to 170 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20942434)

Jackson
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

Madonna
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

why is surprising to you in it ? I dong go out with my son only if its more than over minus 5 degrees outside

small babies love to sleep in such temperature :) believe me

Queen B
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
True. That's why I get schoked when people in some European countries die with a little high temperatures.

Corvus
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I would like to live there, because I love cold weather :D

Jackson
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
why is surprising to you in it ? I dong go out with my son only if its more than over minus 5 degrees outside

small babies love to sleep in such temperature :) believe me

I understand it, i just didn't know about it.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Oh really?
You do not have such temperatures in Norway,come to Bucharest,to see how it is when it is closed to 40 degrees Celsius.

Queen B
02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh really?
You do not have such temperatures in Norway,come to Bucharest,to see how it is when it is closed to 40 degrees Celsius.
And then come to Greece to see some 45+ 'C :D

Flintlocke
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Hillary's vaginer is colder.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
And then come to Greece to see some 45+ 'C :D

I saw,highest recorded temperature in Europe was 48 degrees Celsius,in Athens.
But are not people dieing in Greece when are such temperatures?

Queen B
02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I saw,highest recorded temperature in Europe was 48 degrees Celsius,in Athens.
But are not people dieing in Greece when are such temperatures?
Some oldies, probably yes, but small numbers compared to what happens in the rest of Europe.
I mean 2-3 , except 2007, which was 15 , I think. Oldies.

Flintlocke
02-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I worked construction with 46 degrees, didn't bother, except I was all slippery from the sweat, I also drove once with my motorbike at 3 pm, with 51 degrees, it was as if the laws of nature were reversed, it was hotter when you drove than when you stopped!

Dacul
02-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Some oldies, probably yes, but small numbers compared to what happens in the rest of Europe.
I mean 2-3 , except 2007, which was 15 , I think. Oldies.

Well I am not having so much med genetics as usual greek has.
From what I saw,average romanian has about 25% med genetics.
West asian/caucasian genetics - depends from where you have it,I think romanians got it mostly from dacians which were living in mountains,so that is not either giving heat resistance.

Queen B
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Well I am not having so much med genetics as usual greek has.
From what I saw,average romanian has about 25% med genetics.
West asian/caucasian genetics - depends from where you have it,I think romanians got it mostly from dacians which were living in mountains,so that is not either giving heat resistance.
I m not sure its about genetics or if its about learning to live under such temperatures.

Austo
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I m not sure its about genetics or if its about learning to live under such temperatures.

I think it is
Some are just very good adapted to climates.
Meds to hot climate. Borreby, Baltid, alpine to cold climate.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I think it is
Some are just very good adapted to climates.
Meds to hot climate. Borreby, Baltid, alpine to cold climate.

I do not know what genetics I got,but I can not adapt to warm climate.Cold weather is fitting me so well,I have a very good psychic state,I sleep a lot,I gain weight very easy.

Austo
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
I do not know what genetics I got,but I can not adapt to warm climate.Cold weather is fitting me so well,I have a very good psychic state,I sleep a lot,I gain weight very easy.

I am too made for the cold climate.
I just hate hot days in summer. I cant sleep, sweat all the time.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Well in Austria is not even that warm.

Austo
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Well in Austria is not even that warm.

Also here it cant get quite hot. 35 grades is much i think.

Žołnir
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes very much.
Especially where i live it is very moist.
Some years ago it was normal that we had over 2 m snow in winter. (not on the mountain, on the mountain much more meters)
In the morning when i went out the house -25 grades is normal. :heh:

So these last few years its not so much snow and cold anymore? Here we used to have stronger winters. :ohwell:

Austo
02-23-2013, 12:45 PM
So these last few years its not so much snow and cold anymore? Here we used to have stronger winters. :ohwell:

Snow is not so much anymore, but the temperature is still the same.

Žołnir
02-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Snow is not so much anymore, but the temperature is still the same.

Interesting. Yes cold and snow dosen't neccesarly correlate. :)

Queen B
02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I can't adopt any of them :P
I can caught a cold very easy, in Greece's winters (which is NOTHING compared to the winters in cold climates), but I can't even bear the high heat. Maybe I m just not physically strong.

Jackson
02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
I can't adopt any of them :P
I can caught a cold very easy, in Greece's winters (which is NOTHING compared to the winters in cold climates), but I can't even bear the high heat. Maybe I m just not physically strong.

Should come to Britain, mild climate. :P

Queen B
02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Ιsn't very rainy -> humidity?

Twistedmind
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Balkans is worst, we have cold winters and hot summers. :D

Dacul
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM

It is.For most people rainy weather has a great effect on their psychic,making them much more calm.

Queen B
02-23-2013, 01:28 PM
It is.For most people rainy weather has a great effect on their psychic,making them much more calm.
It makes my asthma worst. One reason that I don't live in Zakynthos, is the humidity. Its okay in mild weather days but in very winter or very summer, its a pain in the ass.
Yes, I am a lost case :(

Austo
02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Balkans is worst, we have cold winters and hot summers. :D

Austria has colder winters :)

Twistedmind
02-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Austria has colder winters :)

Bit, but on average, verry similar. Mountain regions of Balkans have as harsh winters as Alps.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Bit, but on average, verry similar. Mountain regions of Balkans have as harsh winters as Alps.

Depends on what altitude,lol!
In Romania,in North East,is very cold,because of some wind blowing from Siberia.
-20 degrees there is not unusual.

Twistedmind
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
In Romania,in North East,is very cold,because of some wind blowing from Siberia.
Hm, here we have it usualy in spane 0-10, but offten it goes to -20. I think -27 is most I could remember.

Austo
02-23-2013, 02:51 PM

-20 grades is in austria also not unusual.
I live about 1 km above sea height. The coldest temperatures can be around -30.

Jackson
02-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Yeah, it is very humid here, but i haven't experienced dry heat or dry cold, so i don't know how to compare it exactly.

I think best way would be to get people from each environment and get them to say what temperature they think it is, based on their experiences.

All i know is that it's uncomfortable above 20 and below freezing. 10-15 degrees is a good temperature.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/romania/suceava.php

Austo
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Coldest temperature in a valley in austria ever measured was -52,6 . It was in the year 1932.

The only european countries that were colder than this were Russia and Sweden.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Omg I love extreme climates so Yakutia would be the perfect place for me. It would be a great life experience to travel there and feel the coldness. Btw it's interesting that Turkic people inhabit the coldest place on earth. Yakuts and Yakutia forever!:notworth:

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
In Romania it was only -38.5 degrees Celsius.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Omg I love extreme climates so Yakutia would be the perfect place for me. It would be a great life experience to travel there and feel the coldness. Btw it's interesting that Turkic people inhabit the coldest place on earth. Yakuts and Yakutia forever:notworth:
They are turkic as language,lol.
As genetics I am pretty sure they are mostly North Asian/Siberian.

Twistedmind
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Lowest temperature in Bosnia was -42 °C, 1963, highest +44,6 °C. Almost 87 °C

Austo
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Lowest temperature in Bosnia was -42 °C, 1963, highest +44,6 °C. Almost 87 °C

Austrias highest was 39,7 .
But difference in Austria between highest and lowest is higher than Bosnias :)

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 03:27 PM
They are turkic as language,lol.
As genetics I am pretty sure they are mostly North Asian/Siberian.

I know that and yes they are overwhelmingley Siberian genetically. Almost all Turkics differ genetically from each other.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I know that and yes they are overwhelmingley Siberian genetically. Almost all Turkics differ genetically from each other.

Yes,and least turkic from all are the people,from,ironically,Turkey!
:rofl:

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Here a list of temperature records,taken from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records
No idea how accurate this is,but for Romania and Bosnia seems accurate.

Jackson
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Including the whole of Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) the highest temperature ever recorded was 38.5c in Faversham, Kent in 2003.
Lowest temperature ever recorded in the whole of Britain was -27.2c in Braemar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. 1895, 1982.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes,and least turkic from all are the people,from,ironically,Turkey!
:rofl:

Boring argument! Just because we're not Mongoloid enough it doesn't mean we're not Turkic. Many ancient Turkic were described as Blonde or with caucasoid feautures like the Kypchaks and Khazars. The first Turkics were mainly Eurasians and not of pure race.

Austo
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Here a list of temperature records,taken from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records
No idea how accurate this is,but for Romania and Bosnia seems accurate.

It only shows the temperatures where people live.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Boring argument! Just because we're not Mongoloid enough it doesn't mean we're not Turkic. Many ancient Turkic were described as Blonde or with caucasoid feautures like the Kypchaks and Khazars. The first Turkics were mainly Eurasians and not of pure race.

Average turk does not even have 7% east asian+ north asian admixture!
Go please there,see how fast you will die from cold,with your mostly mediteranid genetics,lol.

Austo
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Go please there,see how fast you will die from cold,with your mostly mediteranid genetics,lol.

The Turks are not even a little assimilated to the cold climate :) .
They freeze to death in cold countries.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM

You don't have a clue about the genetics of Turkish people. Turkish people from Aydin are genetically 11 % Mongoloid and Turkmens are on average genetically 15-17% Mongoloid so that would make Turks from Aydin half Turkmens.

http://dienekes.blogspot.de/2012/02/first-look-at-turkish-and-kyrgyz-data.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7iDFhUObtnE/Tz2ajf9okSI/AAAAAAAAEh8/rZDDQl3_KWA/s1600/K12b.jpg

Hayalet
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Um, no, most of Turkey gets as cold as Central-Eastern Europe in winter.

Austo
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Um, no, most of Turkey gets as cold as Central-Eastern Europe in winter.

Sadly many turks live in Austria and from what i have seen they get cold with the thickest jackts in winter and tend to stay inside because they cannot deal with the cold weather here.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Germans and most Northwestern-Europeans live on the most pussy climate areas with mild temperatures through the year. Most cities in eastern Turkey like Erzurum are colder and experience more snow then any German city with their boring mild rainy climate.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Germans and most Northwestern-Europeans live on the most pussy climate areas with mild temperatures through the year. Most cities in Eastern Turkey like Erzurum are colder and experience more snow then any German city with their boring mild rainy climate.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Look here how "cold resistant" are people from Istanbul,is snowing,but is not even under 0 degrees Celsius,since snow is melting,as it touches the ground:
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/754450.shtml
And they are wearing clothes like it would be -20 degrees Celsius outside.

Austo
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Germans and most Northwestern-Europeans live on the most pussy climate areas with mild temperatures through the year. Most cities in eastern Turkey like Erzurum are colder and experience more snow then any German city with their boring mild rainy climate.

But i am from Austria in the mountains where -20 grades is not uncommon.

Sky earth
02-23-2013, 04:14 PM
But i am from Austria in the mountains where -20 grades is not uncommon.

I said Northwestern Europeans not Central Europeans

Hayalet
02-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Sadly many turks live in Austria and from what i have seen they get cold with the thickest jackts in winter and tend to stay inside because they cannot deal with the cold weather here.
I doubt it. During winter, temperature casually drops to -15°C in the Anatolian heartland, and to -30°C in the mountainous east. In major Austrian cities (where immigrants live), average winter temperatures seem to be around 0°C.

Dacul
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
I doubt it. During winter, temperature casually drops to -15°C in the Anatolian heartland, and to -30°C in the mountainous east. In major Austrian cities (where immigrants would live), average winter temperatures seem to be around 0°C.
How many percents from the population of Turkey lives in Anatolian heartland?
And how many percents in mountainous area?

Dengizik
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Funniest comment i've ever seen :D You took statistics of how Turkish people clothing or what?

Austo
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I doubt it. During winter, temperature casually drops to -15°C in the Anatolian heartland, and to -30°C in the mountainous east. In major Austrian cities (where immigrants live), average winter temperatures seem to be around 0°C.

Average winter temperature where i live is around -10 grades. I am not from a city.

Austo
02-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Funniest comment i've ever seen :D You took statistics of how Turkish people clothing or what?

Are you turks really all that stupid?
When i went to school i saw it how the invaders froze their butts of while Austrians stood aside sweating.

Vasconcelos
02-23-2013, 04:21 PM
So living in a colder place is something worth bragging about these days?

Dengizik
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Are you turks really all that stupid?
When i went to school i saw it how the invaders froze their butts of while Austrians stood aside sweating.

No we cant beat Austrians about that. So three or four Turkish people with thick jackets equals all Turks. Seems legit. :D

Austo
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
No we cant beat Austrians about that. So three or four Turkish people with thick jackets equals all Turks. Seems legit. :D

Actually these Turks came from the Turkish mountains hahahha:laugh:

Hayalet
02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
How many percents from the population of Turkey lives in Anatolian heartland? And how many percents in mountainous area?
Tens of millions live in the former, while several millions live in the latter.

http://homeinspain.org/camposol/pics/Meteo/tempanimJanvier.gif

silver_surfer
12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Wait, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the coldest temperature ever recorded in Russia was -69 degrees in Pevek, Yakutia.