PDA

View Full Version : North Korea issues threat to U.S. military

Loki
02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
North Korea issues threat to U.S. military (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/23/world/asia/koreas-tension/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

(CNN) -- Ahead of annual, routine military exercises between South Korea and the United States, North Korea issued its usual caustic objections Saturday.

It threatened "miserable destruction," if "your side ignites a war of aggression by staging the reckless joint military exercises ... at this dangerous time."

Though customary, the stark posturing by North Korea stands in the shadow of an underground nuclear test two weeks ago that was preceded by the launch of a long-range missile capable of transporting a warhead.

The detonation of the nuclear charge was the third in Pyongyang's history and the first under supreme leader Kim Jong Un's rule. South Korea's military reacted with fierce military drills, including a public display of newly deployed cruise missiles with pinpoint accuracy.

It has been on heightened readiness ever since.

The test also triggered a global wave of condemnation, including from Beijing, and plans for new sanctions against Pyongyang.

North Korea issued the objections to exercises Key Resolve and Foal Eagle scheduled for March and April to U.S. commander James D. Sherman, state run news agency KCNA reported.

The message was delivered over the phone in English, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.
It also condemned the threat of new sanctions over North Korea's recent actions.

A United Nations military commission informed Pyongyang of the upcoming routine exercises, according to a joint statement from U.S. and South Korean military officials.

The commission also told North Korea that they are "not related with the current situations on the Korean Peninsula."

Around 10,000 U.S. forces will participate in Foal Eagle from March 1 to April 30. Key Resolve will involve 10,000 South Korean troops and 3,500 U.S. troops in exercises March 11 to 21.

Key Resolve will include U.N. troops and neutral supervisors.

RussiaPrussia
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?71727-North-Korea-not-a-Marxist-State-but-a-Fascist-one&p=1398215

i made an interesting thread about north korea as well today

Scholarios
02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
They will act quiet when the U.S. parks the George Washington in front of the Sea Demarcation Line again. Then, in 6-9 months they'll do something else insane to re-escalate everything again. It's getting old, but living here in Seoul, I always wonder when something will finally go wrong in the plan and set things over the edge. Doubt it will happen soon, but you never know.

Scholarios
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Here is another article in relation to the north korean video of Obama in flames: Does North Korea have American video games after all?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/02/21/does-north-korea-have-american-video-games-after-all/

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I've heard N. Korean allegedly bore underground tunnels to the s. Korean capital so in the event something does go down NK troops can be in the capital in mere hours. No idea though if this is true or mere propaganda.

Anyway, I don't know if I could ever see NK backing down. They are in an ideological corner and have an ideology based on moral superiority which just won't allow them to go in any other direction.

Scholarios
02-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I've heard N. Korean allegedly bore underground tunnels to the s. Korean capital so in the event something does go down NK troops can be in the capital in mere hours. No idea though if this is true or mere propaganda.

Anyway, I don't know if I could ever see NK backing down. They are in an ideological corner and have an ideology based on moral superiority which just won't allow them to go in any other direction.

Yes, I have visited the tunnels. Quite tiny, but still impressive. There may be more that we haven't heard of, but the bulk have been discovered.

North Korea is unpredictable in the long run. But remember, their "Military First" policy is simply a facade to paint the elite as indispensable to the people. Therefore, their survival is the number one priority to the people doing the saber-rattling. They follow a general pattern of escalate, back-down, small escalate, back-down, big escalation, peace talks, and finally start over again. The shelling of Yeonpyeong Island back in 2009 was the last incident where they backed down after threatening retaliation against U.S.-ROK exercises in the China Sea. They did retreat without further issues though.

But of course, it can't go on forever without any mistakes.

My prediction: 10 years in the future, NK nukes Tokyo and surrenders to South Korea without a fight. Ultimate face-saving tactic that I know even many South Koreans would applaud.

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
My prediction: 10 years in the future, NK nukes Tokyo and surrenders to South Korea without a fight. Ultimate face-saving tactic that I know even many South Koreans would applaud.

Japs are scared you-know-what-less in regards to both Koreas. They don't even bother discriminating. My friend expressed much concern to me the last time I was in Tokyo especially with Chinese anti-Japanese sentiment rising.

Its funny, he doesn't like the US military but admitted unparalleled doom if US withdraws.

Scholarios
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Yes. It's not looking good. It's the same issue in Korea. No one wants them to leave, even though they are humiliated by their presence.

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes. It's not looking good. It's the same issue in Korea. No one wants them to leave, even though they are humiliated by their presence.

And quite honestly, US citizens would like their military to be done w/ all this nonsense but if occupation is ended well you know.

Its frustrating because some like to point fingers at average US citizen but truthfully most don't even care about Korea or hate Koreans or anything like that.

I bet the Japanese are secretly upset about that whole "Yamamoto people" concept failing miserably. It all came back to bite them the hardest it seems.

OnceLord
02-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I recently watched a documentary on the topic of North Korea and its approach to the West. It appears the Korean psyche has been shaped by vulnerability to the outside world given its history of being invaded by bigger powers both colonial and neighbouring. North Korea's defiance to the world is described as rebellion to the idea of subservience Koreans are sensitive to. However one can easily argue this rebellion is now an uncontrolled useless facade as the N Korean elite continue dining on foreign imports and drive cars I've never even seen in my life while their people die of artificial starvation.

Acquisitor
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
NK is quite easy, really

NK is not a threat to the US or anyone.

NK belongs to one man, to the dear leader mr Kim, NK is his play garden where he has absolute power in. Nuclear bombs is his warranty they his country will not be invaded a la Iraq.

There is noway that Kim will ever attack the US or anyone else, he knows he will be defeated and he will lose his power.

The recent nuclear test is simply a way to say "dont attack me, I'm well armed", and maybe a way to extort more humanitarian help which NK desperately needs.

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 05:38 PM
I recently watched a documentary on the topic of North Korea and its approach to the West. It appears the Korean psyche has been shaped by vulnerability to the outside world given its history of being invaded by bigger powers both colonial and neighbouring. North Korea's defiance to the world is described as rebellion to the idea of subservience Koreans are sensitive to. However one can easily argue this rebellion is now an uncontrolled useless facade as the N Korean elite continue dining on foreign imports and drive cars I've never even seen in my life while their people die of artificial starvation.

Exactly. But also yeah, that's why the current regime is in place, because it has managed to effectively convince its citizens that the moral virtue of the superior Korean race has led to its vulnerability e.g. being invaded by Mongol, Japanese, and then eventually "Yankee Imperialists".

Essentially, the Fatso dynasty has made good use of Korea's history as the "dog that get's beat" or abused kid in the coroner to effectively convince its citizens that there is dire need for a "military first doctrine" because otherwise "we'd be obliterated". And thus the Fatso dynasty is the true protector of the Korean people.

Hard sell IMO when one looks just south of the border but this has been made racial more then anything else and when you convince a nation that its moral superiority lies in its racial composition then its people will do anything to defy all odds.

Virtuous
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
just press the fucking button already.

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
just press the fucking button already.

Unfortunately, if the US did this, then this would justify the Fatso dynasty as truely the moral supremacists.

Ironically, if NK did this to the US or Japan, it would probably be seen as totally appropriate.