PDA

View Full Version : Siciliani - the origin of names in your family?

alfieb
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
My surname is said to be of Arabic origin. I also have surnames in my family that are of likely mainland Italian origin as well as some of Greek origin. No Spanish, Jewish or Germanic surnames that I know of, although Germanic given names are commonplace, and are generally speaking the same as the ones introduced by the Normans in the 11-12th centuries.

Sikeliot
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't want to give away my own last name for privacy reasons but others in my family:

Costanzo (derives from Constantine) -- Latin
Lipari (from the island Lipari, derived from Greek "Lypàra") -- Greek
Messina (from Messina province, after Messene) -- Greek
Paxhia -- Arbereshe

Vesuvian Sky
02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
My ancestor from Cefalù had a name derived from Nicolleta. Some consider this Greek influence.

alfieb
02-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Yeah, that's why I didn't ask for actual surnames. Didn't want to make anything too personal.

Sikeliot
02-24-2013, 03:58 AM
I said all of them except my own.

Sikeliot
05-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Something interesting that I didn't know where to post..

We have relatives in our family who married into the family with the surname "Annino". I never thought about it at all until I found out a girl I went to high school with, her mother is Greek from Lemnos and her family surname is "Anninos".

alfieb
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
While I've never even met someone with that surname. I'd imagine it's exclusively Eastern.

Sikeliot
05-20-2013, 03:22 AM
While I've never even met someone with that surname. I'd imagine it's exclusively Eastern.

It is from Catania and Syracuse as one would expect. Another strictly eastern Sicilian surname that is almost directly from Greek is "Platania".

Something I do wonder though is why a lot of the ones ending in -aci are also common in Palermo when that is a Greek root like -akis.

alfieb
05-20-2013, 04:32 AM
We didn't have surnames in ancient times. I've got numerous Greek-origin surnames in my own family. I don't know if my ancestors were actually Greek or just Hellenized during the Greco-Roman-Byzantine era.

Ulla
05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
My surname is said to be of Arabic origin. I also have surnames in my family that are of likely mainland Italian origin as well as some of Greek origin. No Spanish, Jewish or Germanic surnames that I know of, although Germanic given names are commonplace, and are generally speaking the same as the ones introduced by the Normans in the 11-12th centuries.

Surnames are a linguistic matter. To have a surname of Arabic origin doesn't mean to be of Arabic origin. It's not automatic.

For example, Normans had surnames of Latin origins (of toponomastic origin, derived from place names in France of Latin origins) but Normans were not of Latin origins.

Laebat
05-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Origin of the surname does not indicate genetics.

Ulla
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Origin of the surname does not indicate genetics.

True.

Another example: there are many Albanian surnames of Turkish origins, but They are still Albanians, not Turks. Or most of Spaniards surnames are of Latin origins. Are all the Spaniards genetically Latins?

We must not confuse genetics with cultural assimilation. And many surnames are the result of cultural assimilation.

alejandro
08-14-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't want to give away my own last name for privacy reasons but others in my family:

Paxhia -- Arbereshe

Last names that ends with one like stallone,bellerone what are they derived from ??

Elsa
08-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Last names that ends with one like stallone,bellerone what are they derived from ??

Stallone means "stallion" (in Italian). I don't have any information about Bellerone however.

alejandro
08-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Stallone means "stallion" (in Italian). I don't have any information about Bellerone however.

Ok, licari is My Grand mothers lastname what is that derived from ??

Ulla
08-15-2014, 12:05 AM

Stallone>Stallion; Bellerone I don't know.

Name that ends with -one... it's generally Italian augmentative suffix -one (feminine -ona). Example: bello (beautiful) > bellone (bell-one). Many surnames derive from nicknames formed with suffixes.

Accrescitivo
In grammatica, derivazione morfologica di un nome (sostantivo o aggettivo), per indicarne un accrescimento quantitativo o qualitativo. In italiano si forma perlopiù con il suffisso -óne (f. -óna).

http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/accrescitivo/

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-15-2014, 12:09 AM

Don't you have a Basque surname in your family tree?

Sikeliot
08-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Another one from my family, one of my great great grandmothers' surnames from Palermo, is "Taravella". Any idea what its linguistic root might be?

Ulla
08-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Ok, licari is My Grand mothers lastname what is that derived from ??

Licari is exclusively Sicilian. Could be composed of Li (typical Sicilian prefix) and Cari, according to Sicilian linguist Bent Parodi. But he doesn't say anything else.

Italy is perhaps the European country with the highest number of names, not all are easy to decipher.

alfieb
08-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Don't you have a Basque surname in your family tree?

Yes and no. It's a surname that may be of Basque origin from a small town in Northern Italy where Basques supposedly settled hundreds of years ago.

I don't have any 23andMe "relatives" in Basque Country, but I do have one in Cantabria, and I do get 1% "Iberian" on 23andMe.

quaquaraqua
08-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Another one from my family, one of my great great grandmothers' surnames from Palermo, is "Taravella". Any idea what its linguistic root might be?Taravella sembrerebbe del palermitano, Taravelli, assolutamente rarissimo, parrebbe del cuneese, Taravello parrebbe avere un ceppo palermitano ed uno cuneese, dovrebbe derivare dall'etnico tarabulus (di Tripoli), traccia di questa cognominizzazione si ha in uno scritto del 1245, dove si legge: "...fratrem eius, Arnaudum Stephani de Taravello et uxorem eius,...".
integrazioni fornite da Giovanni Vezzelli
Taravella è cognome siciliano. Cfr. l'italiano dialettale 'taravèlla' = 'membro o altro oggetto storto o irregolare', calabrese settentrionale 'taravedda', antico provenzale 'taravela' = 'succhiello, trapano' (latino 'terebella', diminutivo di 'terebra', da cui l'italiano 'trivella'), piemontese 'taravela' = loquacità, persona loquace, calabrese 'taravieddu' = cicaleccio. G. Caracausi, II, 1601.

Panormus
02-21-2015, 03:43 PM
My surname derives from the Latin word "bonus"

Sikeliot
02-21-2015, 03:58 PM
dont know bout "tara" but vella is just vëlla which means brother (in albanian ofc)

The Arbereshe is not mixed into my Palermitan side.

Sikeliot
02-21-2015, 04:00 PM
do you have any arbereshe ancestry at all?

A very minor amount.

alfieb
02-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Another one from my family, one of my great great grandmothers' surnames from Palermo, is "Taravella". Any idea what its linguistic root might be?

I have a 4x-great grandmother with that surname. Palermo side.

Sikeliot
02-21-2015, 04:07 PM
i find this interesting because to me you could pass more in albanian lands than greek

I'm a mixture of a lot of things, not just Sicilian. Sicilian is only 3/8 of my ethnicity. But I disagree, I don't think I look Albanian.

Dun93
02-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Mine is Tataglia , it is thought to be of mafia origin

alfieb
02-21-2015, 04:11 PM
I doubt Taravella has Albanian origin as it is not found in any of the Albanian towns in Palermo.

Smitty
04-25-2015, 03:17 AM
The only two I know of in my family are Aliotta and Longo. Other than some dubious Internet explanations, I don't know where/what they're derived from.

Sikeliot
04-25-2015, 03:32 AM
The only two I know of in my family are Aliotta and Longo. Other than some dubious Internet explanations, I don't know where/what they're derived from.

Longo is common throughout Sicily, I have seen it before.

Smitty
04-25-2015, 03:42 AM
Longo is common throughout Sicily, I have seen it before.

According to Surname Database, it's Latin in origin. If that's true, I would imagine it's pretty common throughout Italy in general.

Seth MacFarlane
04-25-2015, 04:24 AM

Paxhia -- Arbereshe

moms mother was dimieri do you have any idea what's the origin and can it point to the region my Sicilian roots are from ?

Tacitus
04-25-2015, 09:38 PM
moms mother was dimieri do you have any idea what's the origin and can it point to the region my Sicilian roots are from ?

Dimieri isn't a Sicilian name.

http://www.gens.info/lib/cog/maps/cognomi/D/DIMIERI.gif

Seth MacFarlane
04-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Dimieri isn't a Sicilian name.

http://www.gens.info/lib/cog/maps/cognomi/D/DIMIERI.gif

What name is it then my friend ? ( no sarcasm just really want to know )

Tacitus
04-25-2015, 09:42 PM
What name is it then my friend ? ( no sarcasm just really want to know )

Erm, those two dots are in Campania. So there's your answer.

Seth MacFarlane
04-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Erm, those two dots are in Campania. So there's your answer.

Thanks bro !! My relative was supposedly Sicilian although he could of been mixed. He looks similar to mobster Sam the plumber decalvacante

Dweller23
07-20-2015, 02:42 AM
My name is of sicilian origin...the motherland Sicilia.

blogen
07-20-2015, 02:49 AM
Surnames are a linguistic matter. To have a surname of Arabic origin doesn't mean to be of Arabic origin. It's not automatic.

For example, Normans had surnames of Latin origins (of toponomastic origin, derived from place names in France of Latin origins) but Normans were not of Latin origins.

The Normans of Normandy? The average "Norman" were French (Latin) origin, because they were French noblemans and fortune hunters. Only a minority between the Normans were real Northmen.

source: R.H.C. Davis: The Normans and Their Myth - 1976

rausch
09-20-2015, 10:10 AM
In my italian family some surnames are:

Incorvaia
Lo Brutto
Marrale
Gracci

If I go by the distribution of surnames are all of distinctly Sicilian origin, except Gracci that appears to be Tuscan. This makes sense since they came from Licata.

According to some sources the surname Incorvaia is a topographic name from corvaia ‘place frequented by crows’, with the addition of the prefix in- ‘belonging to the family of’.

I have not researched much of the rest of surnames, if anyone knows anything about them I would appreciate your contribution.

Akragas
02-11-2017, 04:25 AM
My sir name is of Greek origin .

some of the sir names:

Crisafi
Polizotto
Catalanotto
Caristo

Inquizzzitor
03-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Some of the Sicilian surnames in my family include:

Azzarello - Arabic
Pantó - Greek
Aricó - Greek
La Macchia - Greek
Scibilia - unknown, possibly indicating "Sevilla" in Spain
Insodda / Zodda - can't remember the origin of this one
Ialacqua - Greek
Sindoni - Greek
Previti - Greek

And my own surname, which I won't say here, but is also of Greek origin.

All from the Province of Messina.