PDA

View Full Version : Hans Günther about Romanians and Carpathians

Corvus
02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
The Carpathians seem to have an Alpine-Dinaric mixed population. The
districts in the bend between the Carpathians and the Transylvanian Alps are Alpine-East
Baltic-Dinaric with a Nordic mixture.19 The Magyar Szeklers show a fairly strong Nordic
strain (due to absorbing the remains of Germanic tribes during the migrations of the
peoples?). They are mesocephalic on the average, as opposed to the other Magyars, who
are on the average brachycephalic. The Balkan Mountains and the ranges connected with
them have a predominantly Alpine or Alpine-Dinaric population, this being an extension
of the Alpine and the Alpine-Dinaric race into the Balkan Peninsula (Greece), which is
predominantly Mediterranean (Mediterranean-Hither Asiatic-Dinaric), just as the Alps
show a Dinaric-Alpine extension into northern Italy, central France, and southern
Germany. The Dinaric race seems to reach from the district where it is purest to about
Salonica along the Vardar. Crete perhaps, too, shows Dinaric blood. All over south-east
Europe, however, Dinaric and Hither Asiatic blood are represented side by side, and can
barely be marked off from one another. The plain of the Danube in Rumania and Bulgaria
is predominantly Mediterranean in its population, with a not very heavy Dinaric strain.20
The Mediterraneans reach, indeed, as can be seen from the existence here of a region of
long heads, from the mouth of the Danube a long way towards Bessarabia, and into
Moldavia and the southern Ukraine

Dacul
02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Is not said anything about Moldavia.

Corvus
02-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Is not said anything about Moldavia.

I will look for it. If my memory serves me right he says Moldavia is more Baltic influenced than the rest of Romania

Dacul
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I will look for it. If my memory serves me right he says Moldavia is more Baltic influenced than the rest of Romania

That is the truth.

Mans not hot
02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
The Carpathians seem to have an Alpine-Dinaric mixed population
Quite probably, but that doesn't make them resemble a Northern Italian.