PDA

View Full Version : American Megacities

Anglojew
02-27-2013, 03:19 AM
I found an interesting map of American megacities in the near future (2050). I think it clearly shows that the USA will really be 10 megacities by then. I think this has dramatic implications for politics eg crossing over state boundaries, the economy and in terms of society and culture. In a way it is similar to the medieval city-states of Italy and Germany.

alfieb
02-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people talk about a Boswash (Boston-to-Washington, including New York, Philadelphia, etc.) megalopolis in the Northeast. It's mostly a matter of science fiction at this point.

Oneeye
02-27-2013, 03:41 AM
LOL, I'd still live in the middle of nowhere on that map.

Stefan
02-27-2013, 04:32 AM
I doubt it. We should see a decline in city living (ala Detroit.) Also states are much more than regional entities and have strong political autonomy. All control of local governments reside in the states, ultimately. I don't see the states cooperating on these matters, to be honest.

Anglojew
02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
I doubt it. We should see a decline in city living (ala Detroit.) Also states are much more than regional entities and have strong political autonomy. All control of local governments reside in the states, ultimately. I don't see the states cooperating on these matters, to be honest.

I agree but will that lead to breakup and division?

Stefan
02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
I agree but will that lead to breakup and division?

We'll likely see many types of divisions. The premier one being socioeconomic (which will diverge based on state authority over wealthy regions.) In the United States the cities are overwhelmingly sustained by suburban and rural populations whom commute, and with the imminent decline in many city-based industries I suspect the cities will naturally decline, and hence diverge. People are not only becoming less dependent on cities, but cities are essentially becoming far less viable to live in, with their huge expenses and their poor infrastructural upkeep. Hopefully this will mean more competition by small businesses, but I'm not sure if big government and big corporations would allow it. I think the U.S might instead of having mega-cities, become more decentralized with large urban/suburban areas that aren't centralized politically and economically, but focus on self-sufficiency.

larali
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
There's a dot where I live.

I'm not going to have that many kids... am I?

Loki
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
There's a dot where I live.

I'm not going to have that many kids... am I?

You never know ;)

Kelta
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I think you'll see many Whites leave for less populated regions if we can find ways to survive. Most of our largest cities are non White if that floats your boat. I also think you'll have more commutes of 75 miles plus for affordability and space. I'm not sure how long the US will survive with many nations within nations. It lacks cohesion.

Stefan
03-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I think you'll see many Whites leave for less populated regions if we can find ways to survive. Most of our largest cities are non White if that floats your boat. I also think you'll have more commutes of 75 miles plus for affordability and space. I'm not sure how long the US will survive with many nations within nations. It lacks cohesion.

The minorities can keep their cities ran by rich white(or likely Jewish) authoritarian democrat progressives - they're used to slavery already and wouldn't know what to do without it.

pinguino
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Megacities? In Latin America we have cities that are a lot larger than that.

Wild North
03-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Ultimately, what if the whole world, the whole planet became one megacity. :eek: Like the Corruscant in Star Wars. :p

dapork
03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
I think that could happen eventually, if nothing hinders our current progress. Seeing that map reminded me the movie "Dredd", which basically features such cities with huge skyscrapers that are like cities themselves. Awesome movie btw.

Anglojew
03-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Already the Northeast megalopolis is one continuous urban area with about 50 million people (which would make it the largest city in the world)

dapork
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
It might appear that way on population density maps, but in actuality you still have long stretches of highway and forest in between these cities. There are rest stops, small towns, and suburbs in between, but it's definitely not a continuous stretch of urban area yet.