PDA

View Full Version : Ruf Estimates of giftedness

larali
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
This might be interesting to some people. The Ruf Estimates are a way to define levels of giftedness in children.

Level One
These children show interest in many things before they are even two years old - like colors, saying the numbers in order, and playing simple puzzles.
Most of them are good talkers by age three, and by four, many print letters and numbers, recognize simple signs, their name, and know most of alphabet.
By the time they are six years old, many read beginner books and type at the computer, and most read chapter books by age seven.
It is not unusual to find six to eight Level One children in an average classroom, children who are nearly always a few steps ahead of what the teacher is teaching the whole class.

Level Two
These bright children love looking at books and being read to, even turning pages without ripping them, by 15 months. Some shout out the name of familiar stores as you drive past.
They’ll sit for what seems like hours as you read advanced level books, especially fiction and fantasy, to them, but they require a bit less of your time by age six, because most of them read for pleasure and information on their own by then.
Level Two children can find only one or two others in their classroom who are as advanced as they are, which starts to make it hard to find good friends.

Level Three
They know what adults are telling or asking them by six months. You say a toy, pet, or another person, and they will look for it.
By the time they are barely 12 months old, they can get family members to do what they want before they are actually talking.
By two years, many like 35+ piece puzzles, memorize favorite books, and know the entire alphabet - in or out of order!
By three years old, they talk constantly, and skip count, count backwards, and do simple adding and subtracting because they like to. They love to print letters and numbers, too.
They ask you to teach them to read before five years, and many figure out how to multiply, divide, and do some fractions soon thereafter.
Most of these children are a full two to five years beyond grade level by age six and find school too slow.
There are one or two Level Three children in every 100 in the average school. They are rarely in the same elementary class and can feel very, very lonely.

Level Four
Level Four babies love books, someone to read them, and pay attention very, very early.
They have extensive, complex speaking while still in their toddler years, and their vocabularies are huge!
Most of them read easy readers before kindergarten, and then read for information and pleasure soon thereafter, with comprehension for youth and adult level books while only in the early years of school.
There are about one per 200 children in the average school. Without special arrangements, they can feel very different from their typical classmates.

Level Five
Level Fives have talents in every possible area. Everything is sooner and more intense than others Levels.
They have favorite TV shows when barely out of infancy, pick out letters and numbers by before they can talk, and enjoy shape sorters earlier than most children.
They print letters, numbers, words, and their names in their early toddler years, and often use anything that is available to form these shapes and figures.
They show ability with 35+ piece puzzles, often before they actually speak and interest in complex mazes while still only toddlers.
Musical, dramatic, and artistic aptitudes usually start showing by 18 months.
Most speak with adult-level complexity shortly after they speak at all!
They understand math concepts and basic math functions well before they start formal schooling.
They can play card and board games ages 12 and up when they are still in preschool.
They have high interest in pure facts, almanacs, and dictionaries by age 3˝.
They read six or more years beyond grade level with comprehension by six years and usually hit 12th grade level by age 7 or 8.

Kazimiera
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I like that they group them into 5 levels as opposed to giving IQ scores which can vary tremendously from test to test and are not always reliable, especially with IQ's over 120. Most IQ tests have a ceiling level around 150, so results are not always accurate. I feel that this grouping system takes the whole person into consideration, because children have different aptitudes. This system looks at the child more holistically than IQ tests.

Kazimiera
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
I think a lot of focus is given nowadays to under-achievers. Not that they don't need it or don't deserve it, but gifted children are most often ignored because their grades are good. Teachers spend a lot of time with the below-average kids.

Apparently I was a gifted child. I did fairly well at school. Why only fairly? Because I bummed along, bored and nobody challenged me. I spent minimal time on school work and home work and was absent for at least 3 months of the year due to illness. I got a B without a sweat. In retrospect I could have done so much better, but I really didn't care.

When I went to school there were no such things as programs for gifted children. Gifted kids need to be challenged. I think many times a lot of them are unmotivated as adults is because they are so used to getting grades without effort that they don't put effort into careers when they are older. The average kids are used to working hard and continue to do so. And are often more successful than the brighter ones.

larali
03-03-2013, 01:24 AM
I think a lot of focus is given nowadays to under-achievers. Not that they don't need it or don't deserve it, but gifted children are most often ignored because their grades are good. Teachers spend a lot of time with the below-average kids.

Apparently I was a gifted child. I did fairly well at school. Why only fairly? Because I bummed along, bored and nobody challenged me. I spent minimal time on school work and home work and was absent for at least 3 months of the year due to illness. I got a B without a sweat. In retrospect I could have done so much better, but I really didn't care.

When I went to school there were no such things as programs for gifted children. Gifted kids need to be challenged. I think many times a lot of them are unmotivated as adults is because they are so used to getting grades without effort that they don't put effort into careers when they are older. The average kids are used to working hard and continue to do so. And are often more successful than the brighter ones.

Yeah, that was the case with me and my sister. I made average grades despite being "gifted", I didn't care for school much. My sister, who was not gifted, but had a very competitive streak, made all A's through school and is now a successful career woman. :P

I was in a gifted program and it was fun, but it was more like a break from regular school than a "challenge".

As for the special needs kids getting more enrichment opportunities, I agree, but I don't think that's such a bad thing-- they need the help.

rhiannon
03-03-2013, 03:26 AM
My daughter shows traits from levels 3, 4, and 5.

Kazimiera
03-03-2013, 04:48 AM
I wish I could have been enrolled in something like that. :(

I found out my IQ completely by accident and know that I would have qualified.

But IQ is not a measure of success. I have a great IQ but I'm not the most motivated of people. Therein lies the problem. I wasn't encouraged at school. And my mom wasn't involved in my school things at all. I went there, did what I had to do and then went out playing pool. I got good at pool. The sign of a misspent youth. :)