PDA

View Full Version : Monarchy - Yes or No?

Murphy
08-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Are you a Monarchist? If so, why and if not, why?

I personally am sympathetic to monarchy and Monarchists. Particularly the old Jacobite cause and the more recent legitimist Carlists in Spain. Realistically however and all things considered I accept the Republic is perhaps the best and safest model for Ireland.

So, where do you stand on monarchy and Monarchism?

Regards,
Eóin

Psychonaut
08-17-2009, 10:28 PM
No. As flawed as republics are and as attractive as monarchy is through the lens of romantic nationalism, I believe that representative democracy is the best system yet conceived. What would be better, IMO, would be a system that was able to harmoniously blend aristocracy with meritocracy (which was the ideal of Thomas Jefferson), but such a system is, as of yet, unrealistic.

Lahtari
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
No. It depends if we're talking about a modern European monarchy where the monarchs are basically for entertainment and tradition, or the real deal where the aristocrates have their power cemented, but I see the former as just a waste of money, and the latter, well.. In a democratic system, politics is for the most part a big fuss about sharing resources - about who gets what - and often a total mess as that. Giving some people (or organizations, companies or other instances) this kind of cemented right to resources and power might for someone sound like an attractive way to end this circus, but in addition that it would lead to stagnation of society, it could be compared to stopping the treatment as a solution for cancer - giving up, so to say.

Vargtand
08-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Yes, Hail be the king selected by the thing, by the elders of our lines. That is what I support.

Groenewolf
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, I am a Monarchist. and believe the Northern and Southern Netherlands should be reunited under the house of Oranje-Nassau :thumbs up.

Ariets
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Obviously I'm.

Jarl
08-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Obviously I'm.

;) For elected kings, like we've had since 1396?

Ariets
08-18-2009, 11:36 AM
;) For elected kings, like we've had since 1396?
Im not big fan of free election, but choosing Jagiello wasn't bad. For things like that you had to have aristocracy ;), fuck, I hate democracy in every way, elections? Sounds awful :D

Anyway, heritable monarchy was/is good thing.

Liffrea
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the institution of monarchy, something wrong with the current mob in Windsor Palace.

Freomæg
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Theoretically, yes - in the Anglo Saxon tradition. But the UK's current monarchy are either themselves gagged, or traitorous, and in my opinon, their bloodline will always be bound to the creation of a new world order. So I would favour an entirely new royal bloodline... perhaps chosen once the coming revolution has occurred, the smoke has settled and we can know for sure who is most honourable.

Loddfafner
08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
If you have already got a monarchy then keep it only because one should not monkey with tradition lightly. As for new dynasties, have there been any over the last century aside from Persia's Qajars and maybe Bokassa of the Central African Empire?

Think of the sort of people most eager to take on such a job. Do you really want them anywhere near a throne? Now think of their likely heirs. 'nuff said.

Poltergeist
08-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Monarchy yes, but only on condition I will be the king.

Murphy
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Monarchy yes, but only on condition I will be the king.

I would like to invite you, sir, to invade Sealand and claim it as your Royal Seat!

Regards,
Eóin.

Poltergeist
08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
I would like to invite you, sir, to invade Sealand and claim it as your Royal Seat!

Regards,
Eóin.

Sealand is too litlle for my ambitions.

Groenewolf
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Regards,
Eóin.

That old rusting naval base? Considering last what I read about it the present sovereign might sell it to him.

Murphy
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
That old rusting naval base? Considering last what I read about it the present sovereign might sell it to him.

We Europeans are a warrior race! We shall conquer not buy :D! That's a Jewish tactic!

Regards,
Eóin.

Murphy
08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Sealand is too litlle for my ambitions.

All great things start from small beginnings ;)!

Regards,
Eóin.

Groenewolf
08-18-2009, 06:32 PM
We Europeans are a warrior race! We shall conquer not buy :D! That's a Jewish tactic!

Regards,
Eóin.

A wel planned commando-assault would then do the trick. However considering the cost of the commando's on the free market and the cost of buying it, combined with the little glory to be gained from conquering such a place. Buying it would probaly be the better option. Jew tactic or not.

Lahtari
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
A wel planned commando-assault would then do the trick. However considering the cost of the commando's on the free market and the cost of buying it, combined with the little glory to be gained from conquering such a place. Buying it would probaly be the better option. Jew tactic or not.

Yes, plus a huge bonus: you don't have to piss to the shoes of the British military might. :D

Groenewolf
08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, plus a huge bonus: you don't have to piss to the shoes of the British military might. :D

http://www.sealandgov.org/history.html

English law had ruled that Sealand was not part of the United Kingdom, nor did any other nation claim it, hence Prince Roy's declaration of a new Sovereign State was de facto upheld.

So unless they have a defense treaty with the UK the British military might will most likely not get involved.

Groenewolf
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Regards,
Eóin.

An extra response to this one. A few weeks ago I have read that some group of Chinese monarchists have issued the following reward :

http://manchukuo.org/wanted.jpg

Alto no idea how serious this is. But the money reward is way to low to pay for the necessary security after a successful attempt.

Amapola
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
As the Platonic Republic is an uthopy... I stick to monarchy, but pls, not Masonic monarchies like the Bourbons.

Hrafn
10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I could possibly vote for the restoration of Prussian Empire or restoration of Austria-Hungary, but generally i think that those kind of country ruling systems are nowadays totally obsolete in this dark Kali Yuga.
I am an Anarch, so regarding myself, i really don't care what system is on as long as i can study, research and do my own work.

Loyalist
10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I am a staunch Monarchist as, particularly from a Canadian perspective, the institution has formed the core of our governmental and societal framework from day one. The majority of old-stock Anglo-Canadians descend from those who fled the United States at the end of the 18th century, preferring to live under the British Crown, and it was these United Empire Loyalists who populated and defended Canada from future internal and external threats. Not only does Canada thus owe its very existence to the Monarchy, but our continuing position as Dominion of the Crown is a mark of respect for those who gave up everything to maintain their way of life. Furthermore, it serves to give us a connection to our mother country, to our European heritage, and distinguishes us from the Republican superpower to the south.

Fortis in Arduis
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I am in favour of direct democracy, and so I think that this eventually means 'no'.

Frigga
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Hm, theoretically it seems like it should work, as those who were great enough to come to power by force in ancient times should thereby pass on the "superior" genes of great thought and courage to their offspring, who are then groomed throughout childhood to be the proper heirs to these seats of power. But this is not always realistic. Just because you have a child does not mean that that child will inherit your greatest qualities. Bestowing an honor on your heir just because they are your child is not always wisdom. Your child was not the one who accomplished your great deeds, you are. Therefore, I do not believe that monarchy is necessarily a good thing. I believe that great people should come to greatness through their actions, not just because of their "birthright". So, I'm voting no.

Svarog
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I am risking my family to read this and end my life slow and painfully, but no, I am not a monarchist, it is an old non-functional system which could never work properly these days.

Osweo
10-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Ye-es... as it's a shame to destroy too much of your country's traditions, even the appendix-type useless things! :D

Might I suggest a better poll?
- I live in a monarchy and support its continuation.
- I live in a monarchy and support its abolition.
- I live in a monarchy and support its wholesale reform.
- I don't live in a monarchy and support its (re)introduction.
- I don't live in a monarchy and am alright with that.
- I don't live in a monarchy and have no great desire to change that, but can see its merits elsewhere...

Brynhild
10-14-2009, 01:31 AM
It is a hard question for me to answer, because at heart I'm more of a republican. Having said that, however, our nation was built on the Constitutional Monarchy and that is as it currently stands.

Two referendums for Australia to become a republican country have been rejected, mainly because it would be the politicians' vote on who would be president. In other words, any foreigner would be in line for running the country. So, for practical reasons only, I voted yes. Until they can rewrite the constitution in such a way that republicanism could work, I don't see any changes to that effect any time soon.

Guapo
10-14-2009, 01:46 AM
If you value national distinctiveness, you should be a Monarchist.

Barreldriver
10-14-2009, 02:52 AM
I honestly prefer a system that revolves around personal family politics, a tribal system. These individual tribes (consisting of families and clans) can go to annual meetings to discuss world events or to organize warfare, but when it comes down to what is to be done amongst the individuals that is up for the individual tribes/clans to decide. This tribal system will resurrect family bonds/unification, traditional lifestyles, and familiarization with your own kith and kin.

Plus it will enforce a policy I hold dear:

Separate during peace, unified during war.

During peace time I generally have no interest in communication with alien folks, people outside of my "group" are just there, occupying space, though during war (if we face a common enemy) I am glad to have them around and I believe balanced reciprocity will take over. :D

This cannot succeed under monarchy as the monarch is the staple of the people rather than the people being the staple of the people or the tribal honor being the staple of the people.

The high point of this system being you look out for your bloodline, your bloodline looks out for you. All others are either interference or allies during war and pandemic.

I should also mention that within the tribe/clan/family a system of meritocracy should be implemented. Your status is directly based on your capability and worth as a human being rather than status based on possessions that you did not necessarily earn or work for.

Sol Invictus
10-14-2009, 03:25 AM
No I am not a Monarchist, even though I was a devout United Empire Loyalist-type as my family is and has been since before 1776. Kings and Queens historical roles were that of dictators and tyrants. What they say goes. And I don't know how any freedom loving individual would allow themselves to be controlled by this kind of lunacy. Now a-days it's more of a traditional role, a figure head, to remind us of who we are and where our traditional links lay, and that's all I see it. But for principle, one of the reasons why I am not continuing with my plans to join the Police Force here, is that I would be obligated to swear my oath to someone thousands of miles away in a form of government that I've grown to dislike. I take my oaths seriously, and don't want to have to say one thing and do another, especially when it is violated.

Svarog
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
If you value national distinctiveness, you should be a Monarchist.

I am very proud of our history and I do love King Petar and would be loyal to death to him, but he is already dead - and I do not and can't support this 'King' of ours that can't even speak our language? Hell no, he should stay in England of wherever he is, no, I am glad our royal bloodline is still alive but I really wish to see how an effective monarchy would be established in our country at the moment, with prince that cannot speak Serbian and a bit better princess plus concerning the actual political situation in our country, in theory monarchy, Serbia a kingdom again etc all sounds good but in practice i cannot look but beyond an another disaster.

Puddle of Mudd
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Monarchies became obsolete as soon as people were given rights over their own country.

SwordoftheVistula
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I am very proud of our history and I do love King Petar and would be loyal to death to him, but he is already dead - and I do not and can't support this 'King' of ours that can't even speak our language? Hell no, he should stay in England of wherever he is, no, I am glad our royal bloodline is still alive but I really wish to see how an effective monarchy would be established in our country at the moment, with prince that cannot speak Serbian and a bit better princess plus concerning the actual political situation in our country, in theory monarchy, Serbia a kingdom again etc all sounds good but in practice i cannot look but beyond an another disaster.

At one point, they banned a Mickey Mouse comic which was perceived as a spoof of them:

http://kitscomics.com/monarch/medioka.htm

raZvan
10-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I am strongly divided on the issue. On one hand monarchy in the hands of a true ruler, a kind and noble one who understands that as a king he serves his people and his kingdom, not the contrary, can be something very positive. But when he dies, who says his son will be the same?

Octothorpe
10-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I bow to no man (well, the wife, but she's a woman, eh? :rolleyes:). Even my gods do not expect me to grovel, so why would I do so to a human being?

Germanicus
10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
The Monarchy of Great Britain and Ireland have unimagined wealth and privillage, the Lords of the shires suport the monarchy, they too have land, wealth, and privillages.
The monarchy is institutionalised in British culture, yet most people do not realise they are the figureheads that keep the real rulers of the country in power.

Murphy
10-15-2009, 11:21 PM
The Monarchy of Great Britain and Ireland have unimagined wealth and privillage, the Lords of the shires suport the monarchy, they too have land, wealth, and privillages.

Ol' Lizzie has no claim to a single grain of Irish soil. As far as I am concerned the Kingdom of Ireland died at the Boyne.

The monarchy is institutionalised in British culture, yet most people do not realise they are the figureheads that keep the real rulers of the country in power.

Well, it seems the Boyne wasn't only the death of the Kingdom of Ireland. The day they brought in Billy for England signalled the day the King became the property of the English parliament.

Regards,
Eóin.

Osweo
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Ol' Lizzie has no claim to a single grain of Irish soil. As far as I am concerned the Kingdom of Ireland died at the Boyne.

I thought that Feller off in Rome signed the Bull (very apt word) handing it over? Ages before like, and you might query a SaxeCoburgGotha's right to inherit it from King John etc., but I'm afraid in that line of business, ...

The illustrious House of Hannover and Protestant succession
To these I do allegiance swear - while they can hold possession.
For in my faith and loyalties, I never more shall falter,
And George my lawful King shall be. Until the times do alter!

You know the song? A favourite of mine. :D

Well, it seems the Boyne wasn't only the death of the Kingdom of Ireland.
Yeah great, that's why there's plenty of tombstones knocking around from the Great War with 'Loyal son of the Kingdom of Ireland' written on... Your view was not a majority one, by any means. That Kingdom was a reality to plenty of Gaels before 1916, and after.

Murphy
10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I thought that Feller off in Rome signed the Bull (very apt word) handing it over?

I have a bit more respect for you than to actually believe that you would go for that Laudabiliter bull shite.

The illustrious House of Hannover and Protestant succession
To these I do allegiance swear - while they can hold possession.
For in my faith and loyalties, I never more shall falter,
And George my lawful King shall be. Until the times do alter!

You know the song? A favourite of mine. :D

The Vicar of Bray (I googled it).

Yeah great, that's why there's plenty of tombstones knocking around from the Great War with 'Loyal son of the Kingdom of Ireland' written on... Your view was not a majority one, by any means. That Kingdom was a reality to plenty of Gaels before 1916, and after.

Of course. What I meant was that the defeat of King James at the Boyne signalled the beginning of the end. From 1798 to 1916 to 1970.

Regards,
Eóin.

Osweo
10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a bit more respect for you than to actually believe that you would go for that Laudabiliter bull shite.
Don't know owt abeawt it, really. Don't especially care to, either.

The Vicar of Bray (I googled it).
You'll be wanting the musics for it though.
VYlgT3yuAdQ
SUms up the very best of English pragmatism and sense.

Might do you some good to learn it...

Of course. What I meant was that the defeat of King James at the Boyne signalled the beginning of the end. From 1798 to 1916 to 1970.

Whatever.
Two foreign ol' monarchs in battle did join,
Each wanting his head on the back of a coin
If the Irish had sense they'd drownd both in the Boyne,
And partition so into the Ocean! :D

By the way, I never got the idea behind that Tom Muir verse. What the divvil is dat one about, den?

Svarog
10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
At one point, they banned a Mickey Mouse comic which was perceived as a spoof of them:

http://kitscomics.com/monarch/medioka.htm

I actually did read that one :thumb001:

Hussar
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
The academic problem of demarcations between ideals and realistic choices.

IDEALLY......romantically.....I'd support a monarchy. My sub-nation (Piedmont) has one of the longest histories of monarchy thank the same dinasty for over 700 yrs.

Savoyard monarchy has a unique ABSOLUTE place in the storiography of Italy since it's the one who unified the country.

Italian state exists today, since Savoyard monarchy created it (for those who don't know italian history).

Italian national state........is anything more than a military enlargment of Piedmontese/Savoyard old reign : that was the head and heart of the reign.

Less or more like England is the head and heart of United Kingdom. Or like Serbia was the head/heart of Jugoslavian reign.

Indeed the FIRST capital of Italy wasn't Rome. It was.......TURIN ;)

BUT, realistically........Savoy dinasty has done too many dramatic mistakes in the last 100-150 yrs : the unification of Italy (not sincerely wished by the population), the world war II and many other things. So it isn't realistic.

Also
11-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Yes, I support monarchy in general, and particularly the Brazilian Imperial Family.

Rudel
11-22-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm openly a royalist and I despise "constitutional" monarchies (brackets because the kingdom of France always had a form of constitution) and parliamentarism. But that's a strictly French point of view. Models are national, not portable.

Sarmatian
11-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Sure, why not... can I be the king? :P

armenianbodyhair
11-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Well I'm American, so that should answer that.

I think it is a good idea in Europe though because it will strengthen culture and unity.

The King, I am
11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I support the Danish Monarchy

Stormer99
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
If I get to be monarch sure ;)

Anglojew
11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Loyalist here

Stormer99
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Loyalist here

Why

Rudel
11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Well I'm American, so that should answer that.
I thought America already had a king.

http://static.ladepeche.fr/content/media/image/zoom/2013/06/28/1360723-logo-burger-king.jpg

Belenos
11-22-2013, 08:27 AM
No, it wouldn't fit to my country.

Anglojew
11-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Why

From a theoretical perspective monarchy provides the checks and balances necessary for a vibrant democracy. I also like the pomp and ceremony associated with monarchy as well as the tradition and aspirational aspect the class system provides lower segments of society as inspiration for correct forms of behaviour, speech, fashion and lifestyle. It's a system that works. If'd like to see Prince Harry made King of Australia so we have our own legitimate monarchy via the cadet branch of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and as a way of shutting up the republicans who could them be locked in a purpose built tower and beheaded.

Rudel
11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
No, it wouldn't fit to my country.
On a été en monarchie pendant plus de 1300 ans. Ça a plutôt bien marché, et mieux que la République d'ailleurs.
La royauté est le régime profond de la France.

Also
11-22-2013, 08:56 AM
I thought America already had a king.

http://static.ladepeche.fr/content/media/image/zoom/2013/06/28/1360723-logo-burger-king.jpg

LMAO. :lol:

Burger King is owned by brazilians since 2010, so at least we own something in Murica. :D

Geminus
11-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm openly a royalist and I despise "constitutional" monarchies (brackets because the kingdom of France always had a form of constitution) and parliamentarism. But that's a strictly French point of view. Models are national, not portable.

Coming from a French, who are the forerunners to overthrow monarchies and decapitate kings.

Rudel
11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Coming from a French, who are the forerunners to overthrow monarchies and decapitate kings.
Because I'm French I'm supposed to be a supporter of the Revolution and the Republic ? What about fuck you ?

Proctor
11-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Nope :)

Szegedist
11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes I am, the only way my country can be

Geminus
11-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Because I'm French I'm supposed to be a supporter of the Revolution and the Republic ? What about fuck you ?

Of course, otherwise you would have to accept that your countrymen made some severe mistakes.

StonyArabia
11-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Monarchy is probably one of the best system of government because the king is actually often responsible for the welfare of his people. A good king a good nation as a rule.

Baluarte
11-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Absolutely. I believe in Catholic tradition which is Monarchist at its core. Obviously not constitutionalist nor parliamentary or whatever crap Protestants came up with.

I also have sympathy for the Jacobites and Carlists like Murphy stated in the OP (Agree with you again :D ).

There are currently no monarchs like that however (given Juan Carlos of Spain is completely coopted), but hypothetically I'd have no problem serving His Catholic Majesty. My ancestors did, and I don't see a reason why I wouldn't.

Wolf
11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
A good king a good nation as a rule.

What's about a bad king?

Herr Abubu
06-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes, monarchy is the best form of government there is.

Hercus Monte
06-20-2014, 06:42 PM
there is a movement to restore the 1918 monarchy in Lithuania, but it's very marginal. generally speaking, I'm neutral on the subject since we're a parliamentary republic, I see no actual difference between than and a constitutional monarchy, apart from the fact I would have one less mostly meaningless election to go too.

amoora
12-30-2019, 12:59 AM
God save The Queen

Armenian Bishop
12-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Nothing wrong with the institution of monarchy, something wrong with the current mob in Windsor Palace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euc1JskB7Uo&t=725s

JamesBond007
12-30-2019, 01:24 AM
No. As flawed as republics are and as attractive as monarchy is through the lens of romantic nationalism, I believe that representative democracy is the best system yet conceived. What would be better, IMO, would be a system that was able to harmoniously blend aristocracy with meritocracy (which was the ideal of Thomas Jefferson), but such a system is, as of yet, unrealistic.

The problem with democracy is since politicians are not monarchs who pass on their rule to their descendants they only spend a short time in office and hence act myopically and not in the long term interest of the nation. Democracy ? European descended Americans are going to be a minority in their land in 30 to 40 years thanks to Democracy.

JamesBond007
12-30-2019, 01:27 AM
God save The Queen

God Save the Queen ( I like this song because it is Machiavelian sounding as in "The Prince" by Machiavelli ) ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cX7iGM9y0

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hbz.h-cdn.co/assets/15/37/hbz-1952-queen-elizabeth-ii-gettyimages-89857203.jpg

Ranger0075
12-30-2019, 01:59 AM
That's a joke

Should I pay more taxes in order to support Monarchy's wealthy? Nah...

Even if there are good kings, then in the case they die we are supposed to kneel for their spoiled children for long decades? Jaja

People here are too much homesicks sometimes...

JamesBond007
12-30-2019, 02:27 AM
That's a joke

Should I pay more taxes in order to support Monarchy's wealthy? Nah...

Even if there are good kings, then in the case they die we are supposed to kneel for their spoiled children for long decades? Jaja

People here are too much homesicks sometimes...

Nope, Bow down clown !

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/dragoncourt07_01.jpg

https://www.history.com/.image/t_share/MTYwNDY4MjQ4OTQzNDA0NDA0/queen-elizabeth-i_mary-queen-of-scots.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCbK3lWb1Eg

Mortimer
12-30-2019, 02:33 AM
I think it is ok and cool if it is like in Britain or Norway but not absolute Monarchy, only as represantive with a parliament.