PDA

View Full Version : Would You Hand It Back?

Oresai
12-11-2008, 05:04 AM
:D

source, Daily Record online.

Probe after £30k in used banknotes is found on train
Dec 9 2008 By Lynn Davidson

A BAG containing £30,000 of used banknotes was handed in as lost property after being left on a train.

Staff at Edinburgh's Waverley Station were stunned when the green holdall stuffed with cash was found after the train arrived from London.

It's thought the cash may have been part of a bungled drugs deal or another criminal act.

Waverley is known for being used by drugs couriers to drop off and exchange illicit goods and cash.

In October last year, police caught one man carrying class A drugs - thought to be crack cocaine and heroin - with an estimated street value of £100,000.

The £30,000 loot was abandoned on a Cross-Country train travelling to Edinburgh from Plymouth via London and Newcastle in June, 2007.

But no one has come forward to claim the cash, which Cross Country workers handed in to National Express staff at Edinburgh.

One rail worker said: "We get a lot of odd stuff left on the trains but we couldn't believe it when we found the money.

"There's no doubt it was dodgy and obviously left by someone in a hurry. We got the police in and they took the bag away - that was the last we heard of it.

"It's not the sort of thing you want hanging around the lost and found, although I doubt anyone would have been stupid enough to try to claim it."

Andy Cooper, managing director of Cross-Country trains, said the swag was the most expensive item found recently but added that they had found a bizarre collection of unclaimed items left behind by passengers - including a cat and a wedding dress.

He said: "People leave all sorts of items on trains. This year we have found some very unusual ones, including baby buggies, shoes, designer handbags and even a wedding dress.

"We always advise passengers to check their seats and the areas around them when leaving a train, especially at busy times.

"However, we always endeavour to reunite our passengers with their lost luggage."

A British Transport Police spokesman said: "We understand the bag was handed to National Express staff."

Vulpix
12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Nope I don't think I would, however I would wait before spending any of it.

Alison
12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't hand it in.

Fortis in Arduis
12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Clearly, it was dirty money. Who in their right mind would hand such a thing in? No good can ever come of it now.

Oresai
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I wouldn`t either :D
Well, recession, plus my ancestors were cattle reivers and pirates. :dev:viking1::cow00001:

Fortis in Arduis
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I wouldn`t either :D
Well, recession, plus my ancestors were cattle reivers and pirates. :dev:viking1::cow00001:

Recession? Are we talking about necessity here? I think that it goes a bit further than that. I would go wild...

Examples:

George Street has a Jo Malone store. Walk in, fill a rucksack.

The Balmoral is just up the stairs from Waverley Station. Harvey Nichols is on St. Andrew's Square. The Glasshouse. Take a suite, use a bed as a trampoline before heading out.

F*** me, Edinburgh has better restaurants than London and it is all so much closer together as well. The Witchery, Le Sept, Number One. Number One has a tasting menu to DIE for - an eight course meal with eight different wines.

Finally, get spangulated out of your nut at Cabaret Voltaire on Blair Street.

I mean to say, after all that you would have to do something really good with your money, just to feel that you had really done it this time.

Then:

Repeat until total repletion has been achieved absolutely...

Absinthe
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Andy Cooper, managing director of Cross-Country trains, said the swag was the most expensive item found recently but added that they had found a bizarre collection of unclaimed items left behind by passengers - including a cat and a wedding dress.

.....a cat? :eek:

SwordoftheVistula
12-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I usually hand stuff to subway staff that I find, once even a huge collection of CDs. A bag full of money would be too much to resist I think though. On the other hand, the person who found it may not have fancied being chased around by drug dealers intent on retrieving their money.

Oresai
12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
The Witchery

I love that place! :D Mind you, I could happily live in the Castle myself...:)
Edinburgh old town is pretty special. And even though it`s been a while, I loved the shopping in Princes street. sigh. I miss shops.