PDA

View Full Version : Fat Gene? I Don`t Believe In It...

Oresai
12-11-2008, 05:09 AM
I may come under fire for this, but I do think the so called `obesity gene` is a pile of rubbish.
This is based on my knowledge of the past when relatively few folks were clinically obese compared to today, mainly down to a different diet and less sedentary lifestyle.
I really do think the discovery of this gene will give the go ahead for obese people to eat more, exercise less, and blame it all on their ancestry. :rolleyes2:

source, The Scotsman Online.

I'm not greedy, it's all in my genes

Date: 11 December 2008
By Frank Urquhart
IF YOU are always first to reach for the sugary and fat-filled foods at the buffet you might be driven by your genes, a study suggested yesterday.

Researchers at Dundee University have found that a form of the obesity gene known as FTO, which is present in more than 60 per cent of the population, causes people to consume an extra 100 calories on average at a single meal.

It is hoped that the discovery could pave the way for initiatives to tackle Scotland's obesity epidemic through targeted dietary control. The research, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, involved 100 children aged between four and ten.

Professor Colin Palmer, who led the research at the university's Biomedical Research Institute, explained that the team offered the children a range of food options from ham, cheese and crisps, to grapes, cucumber, carrot and chocolate buttons, orange juice and bread rolls.

They found that children who had the variant of the FTO gene chose to eat food types that contained more sugar and fats, rather than healthier options. This meant that they consumed 100 more calories during the meal than those without the variant.

But having the gene variant did not affect a child's metabolism or levels of physical activity.

Prof Palmer said: "This work demonstrates that this gene does not lead to obesity without overeating and suggests that obesity linked to this gene could be modulated by careful dietary control.

"What it effectively shows is that the people with the relevant variants on the gene have a trait which may lead them to eat more unhealthy, fattening foods."

But he added: "I would stress that this is a trait, and not an absolute occurrence."

Prof Palmer said the findings did not change the dietary and lifestyle advice to people, which would be to eat relatively healthily and take exercise.

"But these findings do also reinforce the hypothesis that the increase in obesity seen in children over recent years may be largely attributable to the widespread availability of inexpensive and highly energy-dense foods, which may be more attractive to the large proportion of the population who carry this genetic variant," he said.

Prof Palmer was part of the large group of scientists which first discovered the FTO obesity gene in 2007.

They found that individuals carrying one copy of the variant had a 30 per cent increased risk of obesity, while individuals carrying two copies of the variant had almost a 70 per cent increased risk of obesity.

He explained: "What we are doing with this work is debunking the old myths which are still often repeated in relation to obesity: 'I have big bones', or 'I have a slow metabolism', or indeed 'it is in my genes'.

"Most obesity is associated with rather weak genetic tendencies that are modifiable by diet and exercise. The genetics of obesity are complicated and it is likely that there are other genes which will have an effect. But we are now clearly seeing the effects of genetic variants, like this one in FTO."

WHAT NEXT

ONE in three UK adults – or some 13 million people – will be obese by 2012, research has suggested.

And nearly half of them will come from low-income and disadvantaged communities.

The researchers, from University College London, said this would widen the health inequalities gap even further.

The estimates are based on data from the Health Survey for England, 1993 to 2004.

The study found that, during this period, the prevalence of obesity almost doubled in men, from 13.6 per cent to 24 per cent, and rose from 16.9 per cent to 24.4 per cent among women.

On the basis of that, it is forecast that 32.1 per cent of men and 33.1 per cent of women will be obese by 2012.

The findings were published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

SwordoftheVistula
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I think it's BS. There's a huge number of fat people in the US, but if you look at the countries they originate from, there's not many fat people there.

Absinthe
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't exclude the possibility that a combination of genetic factors can lead to a predisposition for obesity.

But, even if so, whether it will be manifested depends largely on dietary habits and amount of physical activity (or the lack of it).

In the end, it all boils down to the modern lifestyle in urban environments.

YggsVinr
01-15-2009, 01:25 AM
I don't exclude the possibility that a combination of genetic factors can lead to a predisposition for obesity.

But, even if so, whether it will be manifested depends largely on dietary habits and amount of physical activity (or the lack of it).

In the end, it all boils down to the modern lifestyle in urban environments.

Exactly, well said. Most urbanites barely move from a chair the whole day and most continue to eat as though they were partaking in an entire day's physical labour. Not to mention the obvious junk people eat. I do think some people have legit. weight problems but those people are an extreme minority and the condition is in no way an issue for the majority of those with obesity issues today.

TheGreatest
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Eating is a stress reliever. And with a lot of stress in the world and a lack of physical activity; of course people are going to be fat.

I've eat at a lot of households and you begin to understand why some people are fat and some are skinny. The fat ones, particularly the obese ones, eat to no end. I'm talking snacks all day, soda drinks, multiple pints and a huge plate @ supper.

I don't understand how people can live like this... It's degenerate

TheGreatest
01-15-2009, 01:47 AM
I remember reading a National Geographic article on lifosuction (or some kind of treatment to remove fat). Before the surgery, they took a picture of this fat elephant sipping away on what appeared to be a 4 liter soda cup from 7-11 :eek:

YggsVinr
01-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Indeed. I think that snacks wouldn't be so big a problem if people learned to eat good food as snacks: fruits, carrot sticks, yogurt, peanuts etc. Instead its chips, chocolate etc. The other thing is is these people don't even seem to want to be healthy since health labels and warnings are on every bloody product these days. All a person needs to do is read to know that something is bad for them. The thing is we're far to detached from reality so people really don't perceive these dangers as genuine. When you live in an urban area where everything is at your finger tips you start to live in a kind of mechanical fantasy land in which nothing can touch you.

I've also noticed a lot of people have stopped drinking water regularly, which doesn't help matters especially when your consuming as much salt and sugar as the majority of the population.

TheGreatest
01-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Yep. A lot of people refuse to drink water unless it comes in a bottle. Even then we're talking about small bottles.
A lot of people frequently mistake thirst for hunger. A lot of Dietitians will recommend drinking a liter or two, particularly before supper.

TheGreatest
01-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Though for some people the local water can be foul smelling and tasting. That's the case for me. I generally prepare myself two liters and drink it all down as fast as possible

Oresai
01-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Here, our water comes from a nearby loch, is filtered, but that`s about it. It`s hard water though, so the kettle often needs descaling, but I do remember reading somewhere that hard water is somehow healthier than soft.
As water goes, it`s pretty fine. :) Doesn`t have the cocktail of chemicals added that some city water does.

HawkR
01-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Fat gene is bullshit!

I have been a part of the junk, snacks and all kind of shit eating type. Now, I do have an incredibely good stomac when it comes to burn down the food, so I have never been fat, but I know if I would've kept up the junk food, I'll be fat fish today. I've just turned the table when it comes to snacks for middle-meals and rather eat drapes, apples and so on, but I must admit I miss some of the sweet&sour candies. I still drink to much Cola though.

Treffie
01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't believe in the fat gene, but I definitely believe in the addictive gene, perhaps there's a correlation somewhere?

Lady L
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not excluding the fat gene factor yet, but ya'll make some good points. I would have to read more about it to understand where they are coming from.

I have noticed though a lot of times if you have over weight parents their children sometimes become over weight as well...whether this has anything to do with genes...I don't know. I know it would definitely come from the parents having bad choice of food and lifestyle. No exercise and so on...and we all know what the parents choose many times becomes what their children choose. After all it is the food in the cabinet that there parents bought.

Then sometimes I am sure their are children who see their parents/parent struggle with weight and that makes them determined to be healthy.

YggsVinr
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I think you're quite right, Mrs. Lyfing, on the issue of obese parents and passing on their habits to their children. When it comes to the "fat gene" itself, I think its effect is probably similar to the opposite end of the spectrum. There are some people who find it difficult to gain weight and may be underweight or unable to gain muscle mass because their metabolism is faster than the average person. I think the reverse is true, that there are some people who find it more difficult to lose weight than others. But I think both can overcome those issues if they stick to a "regime" of sorts that works for their particular needs. The more people with weight problems exercise and the more they eat smaller, more frequent, healthier meals in a day the faster their metabolism will become. I think part of the issue is that many of these people who have issues losing the weight want a quick fix, a pill etc. instead of remaining focused and dedicated to their own health.

I've been involved in martial arts a good portion of my life and also frequently weight train, and what I've learned from the trainers I've had in various martial arts, nutritionists employed at some of the gyms I've joined as well as the weightlifters and powerlifters I've met is that we're often too focused on having 3 big meals a day, and that it's far better to have 4 to 6 smaller meals or snacks in a day to help keep your metabolism up.

For example:

Meal 1:
Oatmeal with flaxseed oil

Meal 2:
Homemade smoothie or protein shake

Meal 3:
Chicken breast with broccoli

Meal 4:
Cottage cheese and carrots

Meal 5:
Fish and a salad and/or a slice of bread

Meal 6:
Homemade smoothie or protein shake

The thing is, people get hungry and they'll wolf down a huge meal before their stomach gets a chance to say "stop", as long as your giving your stomach a small snack in between moderate meals people won't get that "I want to devour the whole fridge" kind of feeling.

Oresai
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
and that it's far better to have 4 to 6 smaller meals or snacks in a day to help keep your metabolism up.

This is true, and I agree wholeheartedly. Most of my days are labour intensive...I frequently get hungry but never believe in starving myself. By `grazing`...that is, eating little but often...I feel fuller for longer, have more energy with less lows, and am generally healthier.
I also think the kind of food matters....long, slow energy release foods like oats seem to work better than anything calorific and sugary.

YggsVinr
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
I also think the kind of food matters....long, slow energy release foods like oats seem to work better than anything calorific and sugary.

Agreed, there are certain foods that sustain a person longer. Honestly, foods that are excessively sugary (talking white sugar and co. here) only give a person a brief burst of energy and make you far more tired afterwards. Same thing for high calorie, high trans fat foods. For example, a homemade bison or moose burger is going to put more in the tank, so to speak, than a McDonald's Big Mac that's got nearly 2000 calories but really gives you little energy. Bison or moose meat is lower in fat, lower in calories, but will give you the energy you need for both physical and mental/concentration activities.