PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use ubuntu or any other linux in general?

Ariets
08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hm? I was playing with 8.40 some time ago, I have both newest Ubuntu and Kubuntu (both are 9.1 AFAR) and Im going to soon change mine OS to Kubuntu for a longer time (im tired of Vista, and Windows in general):D

:thumb001:

Jarl
08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Ubuntu and Kubuntu

Are these the names of some exotic African twin deities??? ;)

Skandi
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
dual boot XP and Ubuntu on this machine, the other one I use is Vista/Ubuntu

Ulf
08-19-2009, 08:55 PM
dual boot XP and Ubuntu on this machine

Aye

Ariets
08-19-2009, 08:56 PM
dual boot XP and Ubuntu on this machine, the other one I use is Vista/Ubuntu
I had once the same but with Vista instead of XP, but Grub was annoying sometimes...;)

Skandi
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
annoying? only if you forget to change it and you actually wanted windows :(

Ariets
08-19-2009, 09:04 PM
annoying? only if you forget to change it and you actually wanted windows :(
at the time I had to use some aplications that I was unable to use under Ubuntu ;).

Lahtari
08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I voted for "Aryan", but I'm really a dual-boot pygmy. So in other words, "colored". :( :D

Are these the names of some exotic African twin deities??? ;)

At least the word "Ubuntu" is from some African language, meaning "mankind" or "human" or something like that. So clearly not just for Aryans.. :D

Psychonaut
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I did a dual boot with Ubuntu on my desktop, but was unable to do the same on my laptop due to it having tons of hardware that's unsupported by the OS. My next PC will definitely be a Dell that's pre-loaded with Ubuntu though. :thumb001:

Brännvin
08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I use both, but I prefer Mac.

Lars
08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
I dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7, but I have looked a little into PC-BSD.

SwordoftheVistula
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I used linux once for a few months, and found it annoying, also having to deal with their copycat programs (sometimes not as good) of word, winamp, trillian, etc instead of the real ones.

The main problem is that most games don't run on it.

Macs are less annoying, but overpriced and you basically have to buy all your hardware in a package from Apple corp. and can't replace parts on your own, which I hate. I don't see why people bitch about Windows/PCs being a 'monopoly' compared to Apple's scheme.

Tabiti
08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Heard that Ubuntu are for African support. Even the name means something like "friendship" and "support" in one of the African languages. I've used it once, it didn't look bad, but I still use Windows because the media programs.

Ariets
08-20-2009, 08:40 PM
btw http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm

fratelloRocco
08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Linux has tonnes of versions so I use one that is not called from an african concept.

Linux was made by aryans still today all programmers are.

It was mounted to me by a friend who works in the computer centre and it works better than anything.

Ariets
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Linux was made by aryans still today all programmers are..
rotflmao

Útrám
08-21-2009, 12:19 AM
No, no it's GNU/Linux. I've been using Debian since 2004.

Brännvin
08-21-2009, 12:28 AM
rotflmao

Why not? It was actually a Finland Swede. According to PTN product of superior Swedish culture in Finland :D ;)

Brännvin
08-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Fuck off!

Psychonaut
08-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Fuck off!

LOL! Was that even in response to anything or just a random outburst? :D

Ulf
08-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Ubuntu rage. When you just can't quite figure out that damn code.

Skandi
08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
That's what the forums are for, let someone else do the hard work!

Jarl
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Hm?:thumb001:

No. Im just inferior pygmy from ghetto, therefore I use windows. Sorry guys! :thumb001:

P.S.

I could never be asked to learn linux/ubuntu unless I simply had to. Don't see any gross advantages.

Grey
10-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I've dualbooted Windows XP and Fedora for the past few years, but when I got my new computer I installed Windows 7 and decided to go with Ubuntu as well for support reasons. I have to say though; I really hate the propaganda that comes shipped with it. I remember one version shipped with a Mandela interview and the Ubuntu logo itself is a piece of multicultural propaganda.

Damião de Góis
10-12-2009, 12:37 AM
I never used Linux again after ending college. As for ubuntu i never liked the fact that there was no root and i had to type "sudo" before every command. It used to be "su" followed by password and we would be in the root, on red hat.

But whatever, i think it will be a while before i use linux again.

RoyBatty
10-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I never used Linux again after ending college. As for ubuntu i never liked the fact that there was no root and i had to type "sudo" before every command. It used to be "su" followed by password and we would be in the root, on red hat.

But whatever, i think it will be a while before i use linux again.

That's easy to fix.
All you do is "sudo passwd root" in a terminal. First enter your user password followed by the root password at the prompts.

From that point it's just "su - " and enter the root password and you're root user. Bingo, job done.

RoyBatty
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
decided to go with Ubuntu as well for support reasons. I have to say though; I really hate the propaganda that comes shipped with it. I remember one version shipped with a Mandela interview and the Ubuntu logo itself is a piece of multicultural propaganda.

I use Ubuntu for the same reasons. There are better things to do in life than hunt around for fixes or getting stuck with dependency hell and having to compile an endless stream of packages you never knew you needed. apt-get install works for me...... easy as it gets.

As for the Mandela propaganda.... it is such a bore indeed. It's amazing how many soft-in-the-head white morons buy into this mystic, spiritual, walk-on-water negro stereotypes as featured in some Stephen King books, Obama and Mandela.

Damião de Góis
10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
That's easy to fix.
All you do is "sudo passwd root" in a terminal. First enter your user password followed by the root password at the prompts.

From that point it's just "su - " and enter the root password and you're root user. Bingo, job done.

Thanks but it doesn't matter now. I don't even know why i still have a dual boot :)

Albion
05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I had once the same but with Vista instead of XP, but Grub was annoying sometimes...;)

Limo is horrible, a lot worse than grub.

I used to use Kubuntu because I liked the German KDE enviroment on it (its just annoying that all the apps started with a 'k' such as 'Konqueror'). I upgraded to that from an old 98 machine years ago.
After that I bought an XP computer because I got fed up with not being able to tether my phone to it and the lack of support for games.

But at the moment I don't have a computer, this belongs to my brother and uses XP.
I'm thinking about buying a cheap netbook with Linux or building a desktop and putting it on. I still thether my phone but linux is good at tethering to Android phones (which I've got) apparently and my phone can also work as a wifi router so shouldn't be any problems there. I've also grown out of games. ;)

At least the word "Ubuntu" is from some African language, meaning "mankind" or "human" or something like that. So clearly not just for Aryans..

Yes, the company that organises the open source Ubuntu and derivatives projects (Cannonical) is headed by a white South African and the company is based on the Isle of Man. So apart from the name its fairly Aryan. :p

Maybe we should create a new unofficial derivative and call it 'human' or whatever in a Germanic language - the only difference being the name, everything else would remain the same as Kubuntu.
Kubuntu is quite good too, better than Ubuntu and the original KDE UI it runs originated in Germany.

Linux was made by aryans still today all programmers are.

Linus Torvalds is a Swedish-speaking Finn.

Ubuntu rage. When you just can't quite figure out that damn code.

Yes, .deb packages never damn worked for me the last time I had it! It has something similar to an app store though (which I couldn't use last time because it wouldn't work with my internet connection) so .deb packages were the only way of installing anything (and yeah, barely any work - they really aren't comparable to .exe yet_. But having an android phone I've come to realise how good app stores actually are (apart from when they're censored by networks or companies).

I remember one version shipped with a Mandela interview and the Ubuntu logo itself is a piece of multicultural propaganda.

That's what I've always suspected about Ubuntu, its multicultural bias since its got an African name. Apart from that its perhaps one of the best Linux distros there is and one of the largest.

KDE plasma is looking quite great:
http://www.petesodyssey.org/files/kde4screenshot1.png
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/166/5/e/OpenSuse_11_1_KDE_4_3_Plasma_by_redsilverjon.jpg

Albion
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
On looking at the latest version of Kubuntu and Ubuntu I'd say Ubuntu has now far surpassed Ubuntu, Kubuntu and KDE have suffered a major decline and GNOME has got better by the looks of things.

Peasant
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I have never needed to use Linux, so I have never used it. I tried to use a Mac once in university. Holding ctrl to 'right click', what is that bs?

Grumpy Cat
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I use Ubuntu. Love it.

Although I do have a dual boot so I can do stuff that you can do more easily in Windows. Syncing of smartphones is a pain in the ass in Linux so I switch to Windows to do that.

Svartálfar
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't like neither Linux or Ubuntu.

Damião de Góis
07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
A lot of my friends are now switching to Mac. I think i can say that Linux is losing ground. It was more popular a few years ago in my opinion.

Ülev
05-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Peppermint Linux right now (based on Ubuntu)

The Lawspeaker
05-15-2020, 11:46 AM
I am an Aryan Übermensch so I dumped Windows back in 2013, 2014 after having been using it since 2012 (before that I had been giving Linux a try since 2010) and started using Fedora.

Lemminkäinen
05-15-2020, 11:56 AM
I have Ubuntu in my desktop.

Intel Core i7 -4770k (without clocking = 3.5 Ghz x 8)
32 Gb memory
6 TB conventional disk + 512 GB SSD
Heat pipe CPU cooler with two 150 mm fans
Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS