PDA

View Full Version : The Saga of Vanadís, Völva and Valkyrja..

Lyfing
08-20-2009, 02:48 AM
The Saga of Vanadís, Völva and Valkyrja: Images of the Divine from the Memory of an Islandic Woman, by Valgerđur Hjördís Bjarnadóttir (http://74.6.146.127/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Abstract+What+we+call+history%2C+is+our+memory%2 C+translated+by+the+cultural%2C+biological%2C+ment al%2C+emotional+and+spiritual+tools+we+possess%2C+ into+a+story+or+myth%2C+which+rings+true+to+us+as+ individuals+and+society+at+each+moment.+The+storie s+and+myths+that+are+known+as+the+Norse+or+Iceland ic+myths+and+sagas%2C+are+the+recorded+memory+of+i ndividuals+from+many+nations%2C+women+and+men%2C+l iving+in+Island1+from+the+9th+century+CE.+Most+of+ the+scholars+who+have+interpreted+these+memoirs+of +our+ancestors+in+the+last+couple+of+centuries%2C+ have+done+so+from+a+patriarchal%2C+Christian%2C+ma le%2C+literary%2C+western+and+logical+point+of+vie w.+This+work+is+a+new+interpretation%2C+a+new+tran slation+of+these+ancient+myths%2C+sagas+and+poems% 2C+which+puts+the+Goddess%2C+the+female+in+her+div ine+and+human+form%2C+in+the+foreground.+I+trace+t his+saga+back+to+a+culture+existing+before+war+and +patriarchy.&fr=moz35&u=vanadis.is/skrar/File/Writings/vanadisthesis03.pdf&w=abstract+call+history+memory+translated+cultural +biological+mental+emotional+spiritual+tools+posse ss+story+myth+rings+true+us+individuals+society+mo ment+stories+myths+known+norse+icelandic+myths&d=NMECkBlMTRaG&icp=1&.intl=us)

Abstract

What we call history, is our memory, translated by the cultural, biological, mental, emotional and spiritual tools we possess, into a story or myth, which rings true to us as individuals and society at each moment. The stories and myths that are known as the Norse or Icelandic myths and sagas, are the recorded memory of individuals from many nations, women and men, living in Island1 from the 9th century CE. Most of the scholars who have interpreted these memoirs of our ancestors in the last couple of centuries, have done so from a patriarchal, Christian, male, literary, western and logical point of view. This work is a new interpretation, a new translation of these ancient myths, sagas and poems, which puts the Goddess, the female in her divine and human form, in the foreground. I trace this saga back to a culture existing before war and patriarchy.

I think this is a good read ..;)

Later,
-Lyfing