PDA

View Full Version : German critics lap up Tarantino's Jewish revenge fantasy

Birka
08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Quentin Tarantino's blood-drenched fantasy of Jewish GIs who slaughter the top Nazis, "Inglourious Basterds," dazzled German critics who said Thursday it ripped up the rulebook for World War II films.

Ahead of the film's international release this week, German reviewers were rapturous over the fictitious squad of Nazi killers who stop the Holocaust and take brutal revenge, with some calling the picture "historic" and "important."

Only a handful expressed qualms over Tarantino's trademark gore-splattering, most relishing the cinematic massacre of the Nazi brass including Adolf Hitler by a band of Jewish-American soldiers, led by Brad Pitt, as deeply satisfying.

"'Inglourious Basterds' is brazen, a declaration of war, a pleasure," the normally staid Frankfurter Allgemeine daily said.

"Tarantino shows the Nazis as they really were: a pack of pompous trash -- thoroughly trivial bad guys."

However the paper had a word of warning about Tarantino's larger-than-life Nazis, led by this year's best-actor laureate in Cannes, Austrian Christoph Waltz as a "Jew-hunting" SS psychopath.

"When evil is presented as well and as elegantly as he does, we can easily be seduced by it," it wrote.

Filmed in part in Germany, the picture is according to Tarantino a "spaghetti western but with World War II iconography" that was also influenced by the French New Wave.

"This ain't your daddy's World War II movie," Tarantino has said.

The title of the film was inspired by Italian director Enzo Castellari's 1978 movie "The Inglorious Bastards".

In the genre-blurring tale -- with David Bowie on the soundtrack -- Pitt plays Lieutenant Aldo Raine who heads the squad of Jewish-American soldiers behind enemy lines in German-occupied wartime France.

Aldo tells his men to bring him the scalps of 100 Nazis each, and vows to terrorise the German army with the "disembowelled, dismembered and disfigured bodies we leave behind us."

A parallel storyline involves a Jewish woman bent on revenge after seeing her entire family being wiped out by the Nazis.

Hitler, Goebbels and top Nazi henchmen appear in the movie which culminates in an outlandish plot to take out the German leadership at the Paris premiere of a Nazi propaganda film.

"Tarantino manages to create great cinema with his cheeky historical concoction -- despite using actual historical figures from Hitler to De Gaulle, he made nearly everything up," the Financial Times Deutschland wrote.

"Because, unlike 'Pulp Fiction' or 'Kill Bill', only the evil are massacred, the audience cheers the violent scenes with gusto," it said in a review headlined "Kill Hitler".

"This isn't camp, it isn't pulp -- you miss the point using such categories with Tarantino -- but rather a vision never before seen in the nearly exhausted world of cinematic images," the Berlin daily Tagesspiegel wrote.

"It took 65 years for a film-maker, instead of bringing Germany's evil 20th century history to life once more to have people shudder and bow before it, to simply dream around it. And to mow all the pigs down. Catharsis! Oxygen! Wonderful retro-futuristic insanity of the imagination!"

Munich daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung said its readers "must" see the picture, and offered favourable comparisons with this year's "Valkyrie" a Tom Cruise vehicle about a failed 1944 plot against Hitler.

"Regardless of whether you then love or hate the film, your reaction will not be lukewarm. There is so much in it to discover," it wrote.

"More than horror, Tarantino fears the conventions that have long surrounded the Nazis and the Holocaust -- these leaden, sepia-toned suggestions of authenticity that a film can never really live up to.

"Tarantino throws gasoline on the fire of the Nazi film to create the big bang to clear the way. A crazy idea. So crazy that it might just work."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.fdc24718ee84a912c2aa2914ba6c8c6 0.5c1&show_article=1

Has anyone seen this movie?

Cato
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
How about a similarly-themed film with Palestinian fighters gunning down IDF goons and Ariel Sharon?

SwordoftheVistula
08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I like Quentin Tarantino, but just from the ads this movie looks too cheesy and artificial. Even worse than 'From Dusk til Dawn'.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Natural Born Killers are his best movies, Kill Bill 1 was good but not volume 2.

Cato
08-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I only liked the Kill Bill (both of them). All of his other movies failed to impress me.

anonymaus
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Tarantino has said in interviews that one of his goals -- which he says German audiences have obliged -- was to make a WWII movie where Germans could also laugh and take part, not sit there and feel like the bad guys. The underlying desire behind this impetus is to sever the persistent and stupid connection that Germans==Nazis.

Cross of Iron (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/) was a similar effort at putting some weight on the German side of the scale.

SwordoftheVistula
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Tarantino has said in interviews that one of his goals -- which he says German audiences have obliged -- was to make a WWII movie where Germans could also laugh and take part, not sit there and feel like the bad guys.

From what I've seen from the barrage of commercials, this movie will do the exact opposite.

The team of allied soldiers enacts extreme brutal violence on the Germans. The only way this could be acceptable and have the allied soldiers as heroes is if the Germans are the lowest form of subhuman scum imaginable and thus deserving of this treatment.

The only other way this movie could possibly be interpreted is possible but unintentional: to have the American or w/e soldiers as villains, dishing out more brutal treatment and 'war crimes' than the nazis were accused of doing and portraying the nazis as the victims in the war. This wouldn't be a good message either.

Cato
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
To me, the movie can be played out like this:

White = bad, persecutor
Jew = good, persecuted by the above

Stegura
08-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Of course the Jews fantasize about revenge against the Nazi's. Maybe "Inglorious Basterds" will put an end to their bad dreams.

http://www.resist.com/CARTOON%20GALLERY/KIKES/jews_image31.jpg

Mesrine
08-23-2009, 05:23 AM
What's wrong about taking revenge on Nazis?

Cato
08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Enough revenge has been taken on the Nazis over the years to fulfill the fantasies but all most the disturbed people.

Freomćg
08-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I LOVED this film. I don't care about any perceived subversive nature to it. As a piece of entertainment it's brilliant. I'm not a big Tarantino fan, but this was easily my favourite of his films that I've seen. Really funny, really compelling.

Cato
08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Kelly's Heroes is my all-time favorite WW2 movie. The film isn't subversive except that it suggests that all Nazis were genocidal goons only fit to be killed in violent and humorous fashion. It's also just one of Tarantino's movies, which by definition usually suck and are overrated. I only really liked the Kill Bill movies, with the first one being much better than the second one- mainly because of the anime sequence, for which I'm a huge sucker.

Nationalitist
08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Kelly's Heroes is my all-time favorite WW2 movie.

Same here.

Hrafn
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
My favourite ones:
A Bridge too far and The Eagle has landed.

Útrám
08-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't care, Tarantino has run his course long ago.

SwordoftheVistula
08-25-2009, 01:45 AM
I really like Saving Private Ryan.

The HBO series Band of Brothers was pretty good too

Atlas
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I went to see Inglourious Basterds today. I loved it. Excellent actors from both sides, nazis or jews. Of course Tarantino took the liberty to make Hitler killed by jews in a movie premiere instead of being cremated by the SS after suicide. We don't care for that. The blonde jewess who appears during the nazi propaganda film and claim being "the face of jewish revenge" and then laugh at them is really powerful.

I'd give it a 8/10, not 9 because it was somewhat long. (2H30).

Fortis in Arduis
08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
You people like watching these bollocky Hollywood films?

anonymaus
08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
You people like watching these bollocky Hollywood films?

What do you mean, you people?
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/08/14/alg_robertdowneyjr.jpg

Beorn
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
I've not seen the film yet, but I'm just off to now. http://www.zshare.net/video/646395606409368f/

EDIT: Watched it and what a pile of shit that was. I watched it to the point where they ambushed that German patrol and just got tired of the BS and the humour, or lack of.

SwordoftheVistula
08-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I watched the first 2 chapters and found it to be tedious. Maybe the rest is better, but I just closed the window and went and watched a different instead.

Baron Samedi
08-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Hilarious film.

Anyone getting butthurt over this needs to shoot themselves in the head. It's obviously a comedic film and has no real bias.

Tarintino isn't even Jewish.....

Aemma
09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Kelly's Heroes is my all-time favorite WW2 movie. The film isn't subversive except that it suggests that all Nazis were genocidal goons only fit to be killed in violent and humorous fashion. It's also just one of Tarantino's movies, which by definition usually suck and are overrated. I only really liked the Kill Bill movies, with the first one being much better than the second one- mainly because of the anime sequence, for which I'm a huge sucker.

Ohh no no no Pallamedes....really this is a great entertaining movie. :) I come from the perspective of NOT having watched a lot of Tarantino's movies actually. And this take on the WWII movie is as fresh as a daisy, despite the hallmark Tarantino gore, which wasn't all that bad...I squirmed maybe three times. :P But the movie is very much as Birka's article relates, a spaghetti western set in a WWII movie. From the opening credits to the style of score. The acting, sets and sound were impeccable. And this phenomenal Austrian actor, Christoph Waltz, deserves every top honour an actor may get in his career; he was nothing short of absolutely brilliant. And Brad Pitt played a magnificent caricature of an American on the hunt for Nazis. (If you haven't see the flick you won't get my full intent here. :)) And Miss St. Laurent who plays Shosanna...just as brilliant.

Really a well crafted film and story...a feast for the eye and ear.

Same here.

Kelly's Heroes is a classic but in reality these two films are as different in feel and scope as you'll ever get.

I watched the first 2 chapters and found it to be tedious. Maybe the rest is better, but I just closed the window and went and watched a different instead.

I could see where watching this on a computer screen would seriously detract from its enjoyment. Seriously. :)

Mesrine
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Enough revenge has been taken on the Nazis over the years to fulfill the fantasies but all most the disturbed people.

Why cinematographical fantasies of "revenge on nazis" seem to bother you anyway? And wich "revenge"? Nazis were smashed, swept away. It's neo-nazis who have revenge fantasies. :D

Grumpy Cat
09-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I wanted to see this but then I found out Eli Roth was involved in it. He is a sick individual. As desensitized as my generation is, I wanted to walk out of Hostel. That was a downright sick movie.

Hweinlant
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Why cinematographical fantasies of "revenge on nazis" seem to bother you anyway? And wich "revenge"? Nazis were smashed, swept away. It's neo-nazis who have revenge fantasies. :D

Indeed! When are we going to see Tarantino movie about Palestinian commandos: We're in the killing Kikes business..