PDA

View Full Version : What is your Ethnic Origin?

Pages : [1] 2

Loyalist
12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
While I realize everyone more or less gives a vague description of their ancestral origins in their profiles, it's not too specific, and some less significant information may be left out. So, if you wish, please give a description of your lineage. I'll start...

My paternal grandfather is predominantly Scottish; his father's family were victims of the Highland Clearances who fled to Canada in the 19th century. They have deep roots in Sutherland. On his mother's side, his grandmother was an Irish immigrant, while his grandfather was of New Netherlands Dutch and German descent.

My paternal grandmother is English, having immigrated here from Shropshire.

My maternal grandfather is Ulster-Scottish, from County Monaghan. His family arrived in Ireland during the Plantation of Ulster. Most surnames in the family are of Lowland Scottish origin, but there are also some English and indigenous Irish thrown in. They came to Canada just before Ireland was partitioned.

My maternal grandmother was a true Colonial, of predominantly Welsh and English descent. Most of her ancestors arrived in North America in the 17th century, and later fled to Canada as loyalists during the American Revolution. The rest of her lineage is German (from Pennsylvania) and Dutch.

Summed up, I'm of mainly British Isles origin, with slight continental Germanic admixture. The next step will be determining tribal origin.

Loki
12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Good thread idea.

My ancestry is Dutch-German, the vast majority of who originated from the corner of North-western Europe -- encompassing Netherlands, Lower Saxony, Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein. This is both maternally and paternally.

Among the rest I have managed to dig out, there is a tinge of French, Danish and Scottish. That's it.

Eldritch
12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
This would be a good opportunity to ask a question that I've never been quite clear on: what's the difference between "ethnicity" and "meta-ethnicity"?

I realise this'll seem like a stupid question to many of you, but the fact is that I've never paid this issue much attention, as I'm usually occupied with other topics.

I can answer the actual question in the thread as soon as I understand this, I promise.

Absinthe
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
It wasn't very hard for me to trace my origins for the most part.

My father's paternal line traces back to this family this family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caradja) and his maternal line came from another established Greek family from the island of Lesbos (har har :p *no lesbian jokes, please :D).
My grandfather, born 1909, passed away in 2006, while my paternal grandmother is still alive at age 96, albeit suffers from Alzheimer's.

My mom's maternal line traces back to the Peloponnese, while her father was an american man, named Gustav Adams. Both maternal grandparents have passed away.

Loki
12-11-2008, 05:05 PM
This would be a good opportunity to ask a question that I've never been quite clear on: what's the difference between "ethnicity" and "meta-ethnicity"?

In your case, I guess your meta-ethnicity would be Finno-Ugric, and ethnicity Finnish. A Dutch person's meta-ethnicity is Germanic, whereas his ethnicity is Dutch.

European meta-ethnicities include Germanic, Slavic, Finno-Ugric, Celtic, etc. I don't think Romance is a meta-ethnicity. It's just a language group. But meta-ethnicities and language families are generally very similar.

Anyone has a different view?

Absinthe
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I somehow think that the term "meta-ethnicity" was invented on Skadi... :p

Vulpix
12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
From wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta-ethnicity):

Meta-ethnicity is a relatively recent term (or neologism) that arises occasionally in academic literature or public discourse, and when it does, seems to be an attempt to describe a level of commonality that is wider and more general (i.e., might differ on specifics) than ethnicity, but does not necessarily correspond to (and may actually transcend) nation or nationality.

:coffee:

Absinthe
12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I had gotten this impression, one day that I google-seached for the term 'meta-ethnicity' and the only results that came out were threads from Skadi :D

Eldritch
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
In your case, I guess your meta-ethnicity would be Finno-Ugric, and ethnicity Finnish. A Dutch person's meta-ethnicity is Germanic, whereas his ethnicity is Dutch.

Okay, I understand now.

Anyway, I myself am 3/4 Tavastian (central south Finland) and 1/4 Karelian (south-eastern Finland). My Karelian grandmother is an evacuee from the Russian-occupied south Karelia.

Judging from the surnames of my mother's Tavastian parents (Alander and Lindroos), it seems possible that they may have had some Swedish ancestry.

As with many people, I only developed an interest in genealogy when most of my grandparents and other elderly relatives already had passed away, and no longer were there to answer questions.

Psychonaut
12-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Let's see, my paternal line traces to the Canary Islands. The name I bear uses a French spelling, but once the name goes back to the islands it changes to the Spanish spelling. However, my paternal haplogroup is R1a1, which is pretty much absent in both France and Spain, so that line is still quite the mystery for me right now.

It also looks like I'm 1/128 Scottish, coming from the Muir clan.

Aaaaaaand the rest of my ancestry (126/128 :D) is French of some sort or another. I'm fortunate enough that the majority of my ancestry is traceable to the late middle ages, with more than a few lines going all the way back to Merovingian times (indeed, one line traces to Merovech himself). Of the lines that trace back to the Medieval times, most of those are Frankish, those that are not Frankish are Norman. I've discovered one or two lines that appear to be Lombards, but the could very easily have been Franks, so the jury is still out on them. Going way back to Carolingian times there are, through the royal family, several Saxon lines and even one Russ line (through Anne of Kiev). A couple of the Norman lines are traceable back to Scandinavia (most only go back to Rollo's settlement) and end up getting into mythological territory. Although, I've not traced any genealogical lines to anyone outside of my Scottish ancestor with Celtic ancestry I have a strong suspicion that many of the folks that I'm unable to trace back very far (the non-nobles) were of Gallic origin.

Oisín
12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
100% Irish.

Oresai
12-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Scots on dad`s side, Swedish on mum`s, Irish from a great great grandparent, aside from those three sources I don`t know of anything else, and I did compile my family tree back to 1305.
Mainly I consider myself thoroughly Scots and it`s only fairly recently I felt the yearning to discover more of my Swedish heritage. The Irish I already know quite a bit about, that part of my family coming from Donegal. :)
I was born, and grew up in the Scottish highlands so for me, it was all about the clans....MacDonnell (my surname), Douglas, and Gordon being the chief clans among my family...and the heritage that comes with that.

Arrow Cross
12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Pretty much exclusively Magyar*, from what I know, paternal lineage is a Reformed clerical-noble family from the Felvidék region(currently a part of modern 'Slovakia'), while the maternal one is a rural, Catholic family from the southwestern part of Hungary.

*I might be wrong, although my blood-obsessiveness stops at the category of 'race'...Hungary had been a Fascio of multiple European tribes and ethnicities working together for a long time now, yet, the predominantly strong Magyar heritage perfectly assimilated the rest into a cohesive nation of fierce rebels and unrelenting survivors. :)

Allenson
12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Colonial stock American of primarily Scottish & English ancestry. Toss in some Irish and voila, you have me.

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
12-12-2008, 09:17 PM
This'll be easy. Proven 100% Swedish one millenium back in time.

And, if I'm to believe Ynglingatal, I'm descendant of Freya herself. :thumb001:

SouthernBoy
12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
From what I can gather I am between ¾ and ⅞ English, between ¼ and ⅛ Scottish, and between ¼ and ⅛ Irish and Scotch-Irish.

Fortis in Arduis
12-13-2008, 03:13 AM
I am plagued by mysterious intrigue, as I come from families which have split up and lost contact with their roots.

I am adopted and recently traced my natural parents.

My father's side appear to be Scots-English. I feel that there is an Ulster-Scots connection; just in my bones.

My German granny (mother's side) grew up in Innsbruck, Austria, but, she often said that her name was Napora or Kuchera, which sound like unusual Polish names. They did come from Poland and fled through Czechoslovakia to Austria. I had asssumed that this was because they were German, but perhaps there was another reason. They had relatives in Austria. Perhaps they were German with Polackised surname? Enemies of the incoming regime?

She had married a Spanish Gitano called Pedro Diaz, who, according to my mother, had family all over Spain, France and Portugal.

Spanish Gypsies can be very dark, not like British Gypsies. My mother and my uncle are both a little olive in their complexions, although not outside the British phenotype, but I am not... well... you tell me:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/fortis28/johnannabelshouse.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/fortis28/johntj-1.jpg

I think that, to be honest, a DNA check would be more useful to me than genealogy, but I am doing to have to do both. DNA is more useful to me than what I look like.

My adopted family is also a part of my ethnicity, but I know all about them, it is my blood relatives which remain a mystery.

My German grandmother was sent from Austria to one of the best boarding schools in England, Cheltenham Ladies' College, before she trained as a nurse, and this was straight after WWII! Someone must have had serious wonga/influence.

Check the alumni:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham_Ladies'_College#Notable_alumni

:eek:

Like I said, my family is scattered, and there has been a pattern of people disowning each other, and it will take some concerted effort for me to piece it all together.

Oh and Pedro Diaz and my grandmother divorced, he returned to Spain and she married an Englishman, so I have no connection there either. :(

In a patriarchal society, I derive more from my father's side which is easier to manage as they are all Brits.

I suppose ultimately race and culture are not the same thing, but I have always had the view that culture in its highest form is race-specific, so there is much more for me to discover.

Oresai
12-13-2008, 04:28 AM
but I have always had the view that culture in its highest form is race-specific,

Me too! But it`s always hard to get that view across, since scholastic folks tend to think I`m confusing race with culture. :(
That`d make a good thread, y`know. :D

DarkZarathustra
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
German.

Absinthe
12-13-2008, 10:25 AM
German.
You state your ancestry as Russian and Ukrainian, yet your ethnicity as German and your meta-ethnicity as germanic....

To be honest, I got confused :o

Eldritch
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM
You state your ancestry as Russian and Ukrainian, yet your ethnicity as German and your meta-ethnicity as germanic....

Yep, I have to admit I wondered about it too. :confused:

Loki
12-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Another tidbit from history: my great-great-grandmother on my father's side was a Crawford, hence of Scottish origin. Says the internet (http://www.clancrawford.org/):

Early Beginnings

While information exists on more primitive events, the Crawford legacy as a Scottish Clan begins with a Danish Chief, Thorlongus (Thor the tall), who fled the Norman invaders in 1066 and was later granted the area around Ednam (Berwickshire) in Scottish King Malcolm's effort to strengthen his borders against the Norman invaders. Doubtless this advice came from his new Queen and second wife, Margaret (sister of Harold's uncrowned successor, Edgar Atheling). Thor was the first layman (non-royal and non-monk) to construct a church inside the borders of Scotland with his own resources. The Merse, the locale from which Thor is best known, is the area west of Berwick and north of the River Tweed. But he is also known in documents as the Overlord of Crawford.

http://www.clancrawford.org/images/crawfordcastle1.jpg

Lady L
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I had gotten this impression, one day that I google-seached for the term 'meta-ethnicity' and the only results that came out were threads from Skadi :D

Well, I am turned around a bit. Every time I go to " thank " someone I seem to be hitting " quote " instead. :D So, this time instead of just going back I figured I'd go ahead and say that this reply and a few above are most hilarious! Yet true. :D

Oh, and here is the conversation I just had with lyfing over this question....:coffee:

She looks at him from her desk and says " baby what is our 'meta-ethnicity' ..?? "

He ponders.. he says " I don't know...what am I? ( laughs ) She says' " I think I am English/Irish...and you are....English...Hell, I don't know....English/Viking! Yea! ( we laugh ) *** :D

All true^ :wink

Revenant
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Mine like most of us colonials is a Euro mixed bag. England, Scot, German and Welsh.

I think the Welsh and Scot parts are Black Celt not sure though, that side really dominates my English and German genes. I look like a cross between Gerry Adams and Gordon Ramsey (poor me :wink) with a large muscled build. Hair was blonde when I was young but went black later. Not that I try but I can't keep a tan for more than a couple of weeks and in the midday sun I get sunburnt in about fifteen minutes, the sun is harsh here.

According to my uncle who has researched it I am a direct descendent of Olave the swarthy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaf_the_Black) :laugh:. Doesn't sound too good does it?.

Stegura
12-19-2008, 03:51 AM
As far as I know. . . .

Maternal Ancestry

3/8 Hungarian
1/16 German (Swabian origins)

Paternal Ancestry

1/4 Slovak
1/4 Ruthenian

Loki
12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Last night I was bored and started working on an Excel document which would contain my complete paternal line from 1596. It is a lot of data, and I will share some of it here. I was amazed that almost all of the surnames in the past 9 generations in my family have been Dutch (I'm talking about in excess of 20 that are directly linked). A handful German, and I think 2 French and 1 Scottish. That's me basically. Of course any family has so many branches that it is impossible to explore everything. One can only do with what info you have.

There are some quotations from my grandfather and his family. I was equally surprised to find out that they still wrote in the Dutch language. Thus I am only the second generation that has completely moved over to Afrikaans from birth. Afrikaans is a very new language, and only took final form in the 20th century.

HawkR
12-19-2008, 11:51 AM
I... am... Iron Man!:p

No, seriously though, I'me pure norwegian all the way back to the black plague, all of us are, except one: Whatever comes after cousin.

Here's the story: My cousin(female) is the classical world savior, so she had a trip to Africa, met Mr. Macho-full-of-testosteron-don't-like-his-country-negro, now, well, they're married and have a kid, a mulatto. I refuse to see them as my family!

Arrow Cross
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Here's the story: My cousin(female)...
What else... I've never heard of a single case when the male was the White in such pseudo-romantic tales. :rolleyes:

My condolences to her for a fate worse than death.

Loki
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
What else... I've never heard of a single case when the male was the White in such pseudo-romantic tales. :rolleyes:

In colonial times, it was usually the white male overlords who miscegenated with the local dark populations. I am thinking especially of South America, and to a lesser extent the other colonial areas. During those times, it was unheard of for a white female to be with a black man. Nowadays the roles have reversed.

Eldritch
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Here's the story: My cousin(female) is the classical world savior, so she had a trip to Africa, met Mr. Macho-full-of-testosteron-don't-like-his-country-negro, now, well, they're married and have a kid, a mulatto. I refuse to see them as my family!

Yep, the classic story. Here's a prediction: with 99.5% certainty the negro will be out of the picture by the trime the child reaches the age to start school. Blacks just can't function as responsible fathers. At most he'll turn up at her door once a month, around the time her welfare check arrives.

She'll be stuck raising a mulatto child by herself, no decent Norwegian man will ever want to touch her again, and old ladies will take one look at her kid, then at her, and mutter "ni99er whore" under their breath. She'll end up a fat, bitter, lonely spinster, unable to make up her mind whom she hates more, white or black men. Like AC said, a fate worse than death. :(

Vulpix
12-19-2008, 12:59 PM
This is beyond disgusting Maidz. I would ostracise them from my family for good as well. Absolutely unforgivable! :mad:

Trintignant, make that 99.9%! You're spot on.

It is worse than death indeed. Talk about spitting on all of your ancestors :mad:!!!

Yep, the classic story. Here's a prediction: with 99.5% certainty the negro will be out of the picture by the trime the child reaches the age to start school. Blacks just can't function as responsible fathers. At most he'll turn up at her door once a month, around the time her welfare check arrives.

She'll be stuck raising a mulatto child by herself, no decent Norwegian man will ever want to touch her again, and old ladies will take one look at her kid, then at her, and mutter "ni99er whore" under their breath. She'll end up a fat, bitter, lonely spinster, unable to make up her mind whom she hates more, white or black men. Like AC said, a fate worse than death. :(

Arrow Cross
12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
In colonial times, it was usually the white male overlords who miscegenated with the local dark populations. I am thinking especially of South America, and to a lesser extent the other colonial areas. During those times, it was unheard of for a white female to be with a black man. Nowadays the roles have reversed.
That's right, though I was talking about modern times... and even then, it was usually just the way for simpleton soldiers to vent their urges down on whatever was aviable. The Spanish should really have brought more women to the New World...

Besides, better raise the gene pool of a Mongoloid race in a distant continent that pollute your own with a Negroid at home, which is the greatest fashion these days. Not that I don't condemn the former.

Aemma
12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Well let me see...I'm pretty much as French Canadian as you're gonna get for now, though I cannot claim to be pure laine:D

On my paternal grandfather's side, I pretty much come from French stock (with some three people that came from Switzerland!) but otherwise all emigrated from France to New France a very long time ago and all hailed from areas such as Normandie, Perche, Île-de-France, Poitou, Picardie--basically Northern or North-Western France. Oooo and I saw one Breton ancestor listed too. I am a direct descendent of one of the 300 founding families of French Canada. My ancestor settled on Île d'Orléans in the Parish of St. Laurent in the early 1670's. My avatar is a welcome placard depicting this parish today. We had the good fortune of going there this past summer and to see where my ancestor's rang was located. I also brought home a jar of dirt from said place as a souvenir (yes I brought my own jar from home :)). Quirky I know, but very meaningful to me. :) I dipped my toes into the St. Lawrence while there, looking for beach glass too and thought "Wow, this is so incredibly awesome. I wonder what Grandpère's view was like when he was here?"

On my paternal grandmother's side, I am well British I guess. My Grandma emigrated to Canada from Liverpool England when she was 13. She and some of her siblings came over while her older siblings and parents stayed behind. She was never to return again, nor to see the other half of her family again. Very sad when when one thinks about it. But I say that I am British I guess only because we also know that one of my grandmother's parents was born in County Cork Ireland, while the other was supposedly Scottish (I'm suspecting Highland Scots though since the whole lot of them were Roman Catholic).

On my maternal side, everybody is French! Though I have a second cousin who did some of this side's genealogy, I don't have accurate recollections of where we come from, from either my grandmother or grandfather's side. However, when I performed the PeopleProfile proggie on another forum the other day, it seems that the origin of my maternal grandfather's name is Walloon, which I found pretty interesting! And now that I think of it, I forgot to do my grandmother's. But it too is of course a French name so....

Speaking of this program (I'll 'lift' it from the other forum if people are interested) and interestingly enough, when you input my surname, other than it being prevalent in Canada and most the New England states, it is most prevalent in Lower Normandy. But I have a 'berg' with an 'e' at the end for my surname and when you input the name without the 'e', that surname is mostly found in Norway! It all has me wondering if my Norman ancestors were really Danish or Norwegian in the end??? Who knows??? It's fun just speculating though! :)

So now I must dig some more to get to the bottom of things. Apparently some chap in Normandy has traced our surname as far as it can go. I just have to get a hold of him now...but the suspense is killing me. :D

:)...Aemma

Jägerstaffel
12-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm mostly English/Scottish and Norwegian.
On further investigation of my British Isles line, we found German, Dutch, Swedish surnames.

I pretty much consider myself Northern Europeon. We're all not extremely foreign from each other.

Treffie
12-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Mainly Welsh, but have Cornish, English, Irish, Norman and possibly Flemish ancestry.

Rudy
12-26-2008, 02:54 AM
My ethnic origins are from Switzerland, Finland, and Norway. My great grandmother was Italian. I guess they are mostly Med and Celtic. There is also some more northern Germanic in there, but I do not want to bore people.

TheGreatest
12-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Ethnic Origin is Norway, Scotland and Austria.
Though replace Austria with the Hapsburg Empire, and replace Austrian with German men who fancied the local women and a nice plate of kubasa and perogies. :thumb001: (Ruthenian)

Atlas
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM
100% French I guess. From Picardy for my mom's side...
And Britanny for my dad's side.

I don't know if we have any other country/origins blood several hundreds years ago but does that really count ?

TheGreatest
12-27-2008, 12:50 AM
100% French I guess. From Picardy for my mom's side...
And Britanny for my dad's side.

I don't know if we have any other country/origins blood several hundreds years ago but does that really count ?

Probably a regional or tribal identity. Brittany had a strong Breton identity. Breton had been it's own independent state well into the 1600's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton_people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Brittany

(It's a similar case to my Ruthenia. In which we were pronounced down upon by the Poles and Ukrainians, told that we didn't exist, our language outlawed... Similar to what happened to the Irish in the United Kingdom)

Oresai
12-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Similar to what happened to the Irish in the United Kingdom

And the Scots...after the Jacobite Uprisings, our language was outlawed in schools and churches, the bearing of arms outlawed, even wearing our national dress (the great plaid and kilt) was outlawed.
To this day Scotland bears the scars of the enforced Union of the Crowns.

TheGreatest
12-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Hehe. 25% East Nordid? Which part of the face is that? :D

Arrow Cross
12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
And the Scots...after the Jacobite Uprisings, our language was outlawed in schools and churches, the bearing of arms outlawed, even wearing our national dress (the great plaid and kilt) was outlawed.
To this day Scotland bears the scars of the enforced Union of the Crowns.
Speaking of "this day", I'd rather say 'Clowns' than 'Crowns'. The present Queen might have been the most disastrous in the entire history of the UK.

Sarmata
12-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi I'm from Poland and all my ancestors are Poles(maybe except my great grandma from my mother side who had probably German roots). This is my first post here and I would greet all... looks like this forum is quite interesting and people here share my opinions:thumb001:

Aemma
12-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi I'm from Poland and all my ancestors are Poles(maybe except my great grandma from my mother side who had probably German roots). This is my first post here and I would greet all... looks like this forum is quite interesting and people here share my opinions:thumb001:

Then, welcome here Hatchling! :)

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Gooding
01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
AAAHHH...Thank you! I love this topic!My father, James Gooding, was the son of Howard Mathy Gooding and Elna Thorne.Howard had English ancestry and Elna was Scotch-Irish,as we were told.The Goodings were a large family with a long history in Virginia.The Thornes are a Maryland family.
My mother's family is very diverse and far better documented.The Smidt,Stalcop, Peterson and Paulsson families of New Sweden moved down to Tennessee and married the Cecil family.William Cecil, First Lord Burghley, was an ancestor of mine.The Peavyhouse family (Bevighaus, of Germany) married into the Cecils and so my great-great grandmother, Pharaba Cecil, was born.She married Newton McDonald, of Huntsville,TN.The McDonalds were from the McDonnells of Glengarry and Keppoch, of Scotland.My great-grandfather, Melva Lawson McDonald (the Lawsons were from Coleraine, County Londonderry,Ireland),married Bertha Baird, of Midlothian Scottish ancestry and also English blood through her mother's Perkins family. The next post will deal with my granny's family.;)

Gooding
01-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Okay.Newton Boyd McDonald was my maternal grandfather, born in Huntsville,TN, around 1912.His parents were Melva Lawson McDonald and Bertha Baird.He moved up to DC and married my grandmother around 1935.
Granny's name was Phyllis Cornett.Her mother, Marie Pecot, was of French ancestry(the Pecots were from Les Touches, Nantes,France.Her mother's family, the Armelins, were from Puimoisson, Haute Provence, France).The German and Swiss Arensberg,Rommel,Steyger and Altorfer families from the German Coast( Cote Des Allemands) intermarried with the Pecots as well.Granny's father, James Cornett, was from the Maggard family of Reichenbach,Berne, Switzerland(the family was Maegert before entering the United States) on his mother's side.The Cornetts are an English family originally from Southampton, England, who settled in Kentucky.Marie and James met in New Orleans and my great-uncles were born in New Orleans.They moved to DC later, where Granny was born, in March of 1913.
So Mom and Dad were both born in Washington,DC.Dad in 1944 and Mom in 1945.They met during a party thrown by their bowling league and married in 1969.In 1970, my sister, Keli Marie Gooding, was born in Fairfax, VA.In November of 1973, I was born in Fairfax, me being Andy Gooding.
Those are my origins, for what it's worth:D

Skandi
01-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm a bit of a Northern European mix. My Great grandmother (maternal) was Welsh her husband English (traceable back to Baron Mansel and through him to the royals, we still have a painting of him). My maternal Grandfather was half Norwegian (traceable to 100 miles south of Trondheim in 1560) and half Swedish (a model from Stockholm no more information there)
On my fathers side the family it's all valley Welsh, traceable to about 1700 with one French Great grandparent.

So I guess that makes me 3/4 Welsh 1/8 norwegian 1/8 Swedish and tiny bits of English and French in there for good measure.

Creeping Death
01-22-2009, 05:31 AM
100% Irish.
Thats basically me as well, both of my parents came from the village of Mooncoin in Kilkenny, my grandparents and Great Grandparents I know are from there. My Fathers family of all times went to England during the depression, Dad got conscripted etc, etc then immigrated to Australia. Just say I am one half Guinness and one half Kilkenny.

Ajaxhan
01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
great-grandpa```````great-grandma`````great-grandpa`````great-grandma
```(Finnish)``````````(Norwegian)``````(Norwegian) ````````(Norwegian)
``````l_________________l`````````````````l_______ ___________l
``````````````l``````````````````````````````````` l
``````````grandfather````````````````````````grand mother
``````````````l__________________________________l
``````````````````````````````l
````````````````````````````father
`````````````````````````````me
````````````````````````````mother
`````````````` ________________l_________________
``````````````l``````````````````````````````````l
``````````grandfather````````````````````````grand mother
`````_________l_________`````````````````________l _________
`````l``````````````````l````````````````l```````` ``````````l
great-grandpa```````great-grandma````great-grandpa``````great-grandma
(Scotch-Irish/`````````(Danish)`````````(German)```````````(Swis s)
`German)

Beorn
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
100% West Country English.

HawkR
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
100% Norwegian:)

Lenny
01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Executive Summary ;)
My 16 great-great grandparents were born in the following places:

8/16 Scandinavia
2/16 Danes [southern Denmark; occupied by Germany 1863-1919]
2/16 Swedes
4/16 Norwegians
6/16 Protestant regions of Germany
2/16 Leipzig, Saxony
2/16 Elsewhere in Saxony
2/16 Northern Germany (possibly Hannover region)
2/16 New England [surname Dutch in origin]

Details
[Father's Father]
- His paternal grandparents came from Denmark in the early 1880s. Town names where they and their ancestors came from include Brons, Vejstrup, and Strandelhjorn. They had come from the part of Denmark annexed by Bismarck in 1863, when he invaded and seized the lower one-third of Jutland in a war, leaving hundreds of thousands of Danes in the German Empire. Lots of young Danes were leaving for America at the time, but emigration was especially heavy among the southern-Danes stuck within the German Empire by that war. When conscription time into the Prussian Army came up, my grandfather's grandfather naturally didn't show up, nor did his brothers or most of his friends. (What worse humiliation for a Dane than serving in the conquering German army?). The German "gestapo" had lots of work tracking him and all the other 'draft dodgers' down in the Dane towns and villages of south-Jutland, as failure-to-report rates for the Prussian army among those Danes was probably 80, 90% for the reasons of national pride I mentioned. Anyway, he and his brothers got their boat tickets and left (likely "illegally", because the German Empire wouldn't just let "criminals" [failure-to-report for military service] emigrate). And not a moment too soon, because the "gestapo" searched their home the very day before they left. My great-grandfather told my father a story about how the "gestapo" [the term he used] was knocking on the front door that day, and the brothers all snuck out the backdoor right before they busted in. If their sister hadn't been successful in distracting those German police for a few moments that day, they likely would've been caught and maybe would never have gone to America. But they "escaped" and came over, and all settled where all the other westward-bound Scandinavians were going at the time, the "upper-Midwest" of the USA. Specifically North-Iowa in their case. Empty land was aplenty and the soil turned out to be among the most fertile on Earth.
- His maternal grandparents were both born in Sweden, and I know relatively little about them other than they came sometimes after 1865 but before 1890, and also settled in to farming in the Upper Midwest. (This is true of the vast majority of Scandinavians that came to America in those days).

[Father's Mother]
- Both her parents were Norwegians, with the father having come in the 1880s as a boy [also settling in rural North-Iowa], and her mother coming over around 1901 as a young woman in her early twenties. She herself [my father's mother] was born in the mid-1910s and spoke no language besides Norwegian until she entered school at age 5. All the people who came over on my father's side became farmers, as were his own parents until the early 1950s when they sold the farm. Small farms were going out along with the railroad at the time.

[Mother's Father]
- His father was born in Leipzig, Saxony and came to the USA in the late 1880s as a boy, settling with his parents in central-Connecticut [CT]. His surname is that of a small rural village in Saxony, so presumably that's where his ancestor was originally from at some point in the past. His mother's parents were also both from the strongly-Lutheran Saxony region of Germany, and had come to central-CT in the early 1880s. This man [my mother's father] spoke German as a boy at home, and remained fluent his entire life. After he retired from his job as a tool-and-dye maker in the early 1970s, he and his wife visited distant relations in Saxony, in what was then the "German Democratic Republic", for around 6 months. Apparently the GDR communist government had no problem with Americans visiting for extended periods if it was for family purposes. (My father's mother, who spoke only Norwegian until age 5, apparently also visited Norway after they retired; but was flummoxed because she couldn't remember words for many simple things after using only English for so many decades!).

[Mother's Mother]
- Her father had a last name that appears to be Dutch in origin, but the family is old-colonial-New-England stock as best I can tell. Someone of this surname was a minor regimental leader in the American rebel forces in 1776. Her father's parents were both born in Vermont, but moved to CT as adults. Her mother was born somewhere in north-central Germany [possibly the vicinity of Hannover] and came to the USA [CT] with her parents as a 12-yr-old girl in 1909. The daughter of that marriage (i.e. my mother's mother) did not speak German. But she was raised Lutheran and married a full-German-descended person [my mother's father], and so she never thought herself "old-Yankee" even though she was half. All four of the people whose ancestries I detailed [my grandparents] were raised in the various Lutheran churches in the USA, most of which have now coalesced into the odiously-social-liberal ELCA.

Vargtand
01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Let's see.

Fathers line:

Grandfather Swedish as far as you can go.

Grandmother fully Swedish up till roughly 20 generations back, 1 Walloon (early 17th century)

Mothers line:
Grand father fully Swedish up till roughly 20 generations back, 1 Walloon (early 17th century)

Grandmother Swedish as far as you can go.

Which gives you a nice statistic result. Roughly 56 000 people that I descend from would have lived during the early 17th century (naturally some of these are the same it would be very strange if it was not the case..)
2 of these are Walloons which gives you a nice 2/56000 = 3,5714285714285714285714285714286e-5% Walloon, which must mean that I am quite pure indeed..

Edit, a notice: although I am of Swedish nationality from what I know I have no Swedish blood, almost exclusively Geatish and some minor Daelic blood. No Norwegian or Danish as far as I know either.

Addergebroed
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
On my father's side I'm of pure "Brabants" ancestry as far as you can go. (Noord-Brabant is a province in the Netherlands.)
On my mothers side, I don't actually know. There might be some Flemish blood, but I think I'm pure dutch there too!

Vargtand
01-29-2009, 09:35 PM
100% Norwegian:)

Statements like this I do not quite understand, I mean have you checked out every forefathers entire bloodline? as you saw in my post only going back to the 1600 you will have statistically an excess of 56 000 forefathers and foremothers living at that given period that you descend from, have them go back 400 years and you can quite see that it becomes quite impossible to check everything.

Or are you considering only your direct paternal and maternal line? as in you may pay attention to your grandparents and their grandparents but after that it is only your mothers mothers mothers mothers mothers, and your fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers that are of importance? if so be I cant be anything but pure, as you saw how I broke it up..

Only my fathers mother has foreign influence and only my mothers father which is then according to that line of thought none relevant?

jerney
01-30-2009, 02:37 AM
The majority of my ancestry is German (half) and Swedish (1/4), the final quarter is made up of a mix of Italian and English. :wink

Brynhild
01-30-2009, 03:47 AM
I'll explain this as best as I'm able:

My father was born Maltese, along with his mother, her parents, great grandparents and great great grandparents etc going back to 1800. One line splits back to the northern regions of Germany/East Prussia, another line splits back to England, and further back still, our line is traced back to Scotland, Denmark and France. My paternal grandfather's side I don't really know anything about, unfortunately, but one day I hope to.

My mother was born in Australia, along with her mother, her mother's mother, her mother's mother and her mother's mother was born in Ireland. That makes me 6th generation along the maternal line. Of those who married them, they arrived from England, Ireland and Scotland. The last migrant arrived from Ireland in 1854. It's a bit complicated to explain without presenting my family tree in a particular form, although I could.

Octothorpe
02-04-2009, 01:43 AM
My father's line came to America from Devon in the early 1600s. Dad's mom's people were English and German. Mom's people are quite a mix: English, Scots, Scots-Irish, Irish, and Dutch. One of her early lines (from her Great-Grandpa, alive when I was still a lad) were FFVs (the Carters).

My wife's dad's people are from Southern Illinois via Chicago's South Side, and are mixed English and Dutch (I'm still researching that last bit). My mother-in-law's Dad (he died before I married into the family, sadly) is called by the family "Herman the German," and came directly to America from Pomerania at the end of WWI. He was definitely a German, despite the location, according to the family history.

Therefore, my son has all Northern-European ancestry--and looks it! Blond, blue-eyed, slim but wiry, great smile. One of my students, seeing his kindergarten picture, called him a "Nazi poster-child." I laughed in her face!

Gooding
02-04-2009, 04:16 AM
That was probably the best response you could give..:thumb001:

Lenny
02-07-2009, 06:32 AM
My mother-in-law's Dad (he died before I married into the family, sadly) is called by the family "Herman the German," and came directly to America from Pomerania at the end of WWI. He was definitely a German, despite the location, according to the family history.
Pommerania was German[ic] for most of the past 4,000 years, and was part of the state of Germany until 1945, when Stalin grabbed it.

The eastern shorelands of the Baltic Sea were radically transformed 1940-1990; probably moreso than anywhere else in Europe.

Ulf
02-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Just Deitsch. Most of the ancestors I've traced came to America from Switzerland, or lived in Southern Germany for a time. If I have any other blood in me I'm sure it's too insignificant for me to care.

Loki
02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Just Deitsch.

Deitsch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deitsch)

... the word "Dutch" in this case owes its origin to an archaic meaning where it designated groups that are today considered German and Dutch — prior to the Thirty Years' War, the Netherlands were part of the Holy Roman Empire and the Dutch were generally regarded as one of several German peoples.

Very true, and this fact is not generally known. The border between Netherlands and Germany was always blurred as far as ethnic identity was concerned. And to an extent, even to this day.

Ulf
02-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I prefer not to refer to myself and others as Pennsylvania Dutch.

By the time my ancestors arrived here ~1732, the Netherlands/Dutch existed as a separate nation and ethnicity. My ancestors and many others were imprisoned in Switzerland for being Anabaptists and the Mennonites in Holland and the Dutch Government helped secure their freedom. When they arrived here the ships they arrived on usually hailed from Dutch harbors. They identified themselves as Deutschmen and their records showed they came from Dutch harbors.

In the Pennsylvania dialect we refer to ourselves as Deitsch. The English translation being German. No Pennsylvania German is of Dutch ethnicity or culture, so I feel it is foolish to call us Pennsylvania Dutch.

Lenny
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
How about 'Pennsylvania Deutsch' then?

..Pensylvanien Deutsch?

Ulf
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
How about 'Pennsylvania Deutsch' then?

..Pensylvanien Deutsch?

We have our own dialect of German. Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch.
http://pdc.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsilfaanisch_Deitsch

That daycare on that page is the one I went to. :)

d3cimat3d
02-03-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm USSR born but from various parts, mostly Eastern Europe.
I included maps to show which cities I'm from:

50% Moldovan
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/powerup927/cedaer.jpg

25% South Ossetian
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/powerup927/Southoz.jpg

12.5% German
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/powerup927/hamburger.jpg

12.5% Ukrainian
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/powerup927/kharkov.jpg

My South Ossetian grandfather was born in a village directly on the borderline between Europe and Asia, but I can't show it because it's to remote and small and dosn't show up on google earth.

Northern_Paladin
02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Can you Post Bigger higher Resolution Pictures? I can't see very well.

Kanasyuvigi
02-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm 100% Bulgarian (ookay at least >90% :tongue ) :
1.Maternal side:
1.1 Grandmother - from Ohrid (now in Republic of Macedonia, Southwestern Bulgaria)
1.2 Grandfather - from Veliko Tarnovo's rural area (the ancient Bulgarian capital)

2. Paternal side:
2.1 Grandmother - from Aegean Thrace ( around Alexandroupoli, now in Greece)
2.2 Grandfather - from Odrinska (Eastern Thrace) - Lozengrad (now Kirklareli, in Turkey)

Svanhild
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm solely German. Main parts of my family tree originate in Niedersachsen, Westpreußen, Danzig, Hamburg and Brandenburg.

Lars
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I am divine.
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-2/divine-pink-flamingos.jpg

:P

93.75 % Danish
6.25% German

Stefan
02-04-2010, 02:09 AM
I don't think I've posted in this one. I'm certain I posted somewhere asking though.

Anyway, about 7/16th PA German, 1/16th English, 4/16th Iberian(Galicia, Asturias, Andalusia), and 4/16th "Pan-French"(Bretagne, Languedoc, Corsica, as well as some other regions).

Laukar
02-04-2010, 03:29 AM
My ethnic heritage is all Norwegian, except for my great-grandmother, who was partly Finnish. I'm guessing 1/4 Finnish. Which makes me about 3,125% Finnish.

The Ripper
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Finnish and finlandssvensk.

Liffrea
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Minus my half Scots, half Irish great gran I’m all English, most from Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire. Some from Islington and Shoreditch in London, Sheerness in Kent, Salford in Manchester and Birmingham and Coventry.

Sylvanus
12-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I am 200% MACAR. :cool:

Contra Mundum
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Almost entirely English with a small degree of Dutch and Scots-Irish mixed in.

Damião de Góis
12-26-2011, 03:31 PM
My ethnic origin.... is below in red:

http://i44.tinypic.com/wsnuzd.jpg

HungAryan
12-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm 100% Hungarian. At least I believe so, but my surname seems to disagree...
(My full name is Tóth Zsolt using the Hungarian name order, or Zsolt Tóth using the Western name order. "Tóth" is apparently "Tót", the Old Hungarian word for Slav)

Hurrem sultana
12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
100% bosnian

TheBorrebyViking
12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I made a map for a Russian friend of mine the other day. Red is the Origin, blue is where we moved. We lived in Poland for a generation, and married another German family while there.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/Anthraxinsoup/europe.png

My name is Celtic for thunder(Torrin, although spelled Torren), my dad wanted it to to be Thorvaldsen but my mother like Torren better so my dad compromised and went with that. My surname is Beitler, which is German(But I think anyone with a brain could get that, lol). My dad didn't want me to have his surname due to me being one of the last Beitler males and the fact that he got teased for his surname(and that his brother has kids who have his surname). His is Bickle. Don't ask why my dad would do such a thing, I have no freaking idea. I do however like Beitler more than Bickle. Bickle is also an adopted last name, and his parental grandpa's (non-adopted) last name was Grēne, and he lived in Northern Ireland.

Albion
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
English and "of Ireland" meaning I need to do further research as to whether they were the native Irish, Ulster Scots or Old / New English.

I identify as English with British an uneasy second.

Albion
12-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm 100% Hungarian. At least I believe so, but my surname seems to disagree...
(My full name is Tóth Zsolt using the Hungarian name order, or Zsolt Tóth using the Western name order. "Tóth" is apparently "Tót", the Old Hungarian word for Slav)

Pre-Magyar Panonian Slavs maybe?

Sylvanus
12-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Pre-Magyar Panonian Slavs maybe?

All of pre-magyar pannonian slavs assimilated to magyars in the Middle Ages. Furthermore the Carpathians were nomans land in this time, this was the reason that hungarian kings called and settled germans in this aera. The ancestors of slovakians were south-polish herders whos arrived later and the slovakian dialects are closer to the south-polish dialects than the old church slavonic what was the language the pre-magyar slavs and what is the source of the many slav loan word in the hungarian language. F.E. the hungarian word muslinca means fruitfly came from the old slavonian mušlįca but the slovakian word muslica means same is a later from without nasal vowel. Similar case is the hungarian galamb from old church slavonic golǫbĭ but the slovakian form is holub.

Unurautare
12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
By father's side only Romanians up to (known) great-great-great-grandparents. On Mother's side only Romanians up to grandparents,on her grandfather's side there can be a debate weather she has Romanian or some sort of German(maybe Magyar) origins,from what I know they are Romanians. All of the family names I know are also Romanian.

someone
12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
100% gypsy bulgarian

Marmie Dearest
12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Earlier arriving Irish who settled in the Appalachians, who referred to themselves as Scots-Irish. My maternal grandfather was very stern in informing me of this difference: we aren't Irish...we're Scots-Irish. Also, a bit of English. More German on the other side.

I'm one of those typical Scots-Irish/German descendants from the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley ...I'm about to break out into a John Denver song if someone doesn't stop me. ;)

Pallantides
12-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Norwegian with some Swedish ancestry and possible 17th century Forest Finn ancestry(uncertain)

Queen B
12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Greek, with a posibillity of having a grand-grandmother of Sicilian ancestry.

Scrapple
12-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Well my earliest ancestors were Finns and Swedes back when the area of the southern Delaware River was the colony of New Sweden. Then came the Quakers from England and Ireland who in turn invited my German ancestors. Next my Scots-Irish ancestors crashed the gates. Then my Episcopalian 4x g-grandfather fancied himself an English Catholic woman and got a dispensation from the Catholic Church to marry her and then the tatercaust happened and in came the Irish.

Phil75231
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
1/4 Celtic Irish: Definitely verified. My mother's maternal grandparents immigrated to Chicago from the Galway area, though I can't get a definite date (presumably 1890s, given my maternal g'mother (the immigrant's daughter) was born in 1903.

1/8 German (with possibly some Scottish, but not sure). From my father's mother's mother. Immigrated to Pennsylvania shortly after William Penn founded the colony (late 1600s). Left Germany due to religious persecution - they became so-called "Pennsylvania Dutch".

Remainder Mixed British Isles (presumably predominately English) - all this part of the family was in America by the late 1600s. Went to Virginia* and North Carolina.

Unconfirmable Distant Portuguese, who somehow ended up in in south Mississippi (where my paternal grandfather hailed from). However, I'm personally skeptical because that area never received a lot of non-British-background settlers.

So as you can see, I'm no more English, Irish, or German any more than 8th century East Anglians were German - or that Viking descendants in 12th Century England were Danish or Norwegian. Goes to show that DNA does not determine one's culture.

*Not definitely confirmed, but it appears one of my ancestors took part in Bacon's Rebellion (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon's Rebellion) (1676), though I don't know if their presence was as far back as Jamestown's founding.

Bard
12-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Almost entirely Italian, with a small admixture of greek blood (my mother's grandmother) and some possible jewish ancestors by my father's side.

Rron
12-30-2011, 12:52 AM
100% Albanian

Occident
12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Of my fathers grandparents, one was Irish, one Welsh, one Scottish, one German. My mothers ancestry is from Yorkshire and Scottish Borders (both sides of the border apparantly, but I havnt been able to verify in what quantities).

Albion
12-30-2011, 07:14 PM
All of pre-magyar pannonian slavs assimilated to magyars in the Middle Ages.

Exactly.

Bakura
12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Serb with some Croatian blood.

Waidewut
12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I am Latvian and 1/8 Polish.

Lithium
12-30-2011, 07:40 PM
100% Bulgarians from the Black sea coast.

cammarrone
12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Napoli.

EWtt
12-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Estonian, at least back until the mid-1600s on the paternal side and early 1700s on the maternal side. Hard to get more out of the church records... :p

Leliana
12-31-2011, 02:19 PM
German of Bavarian, Upper-Austrian, Swabian and Württembergian stock. :)

Heart of Oak
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
English/German /Scottish
Proberly anglo Saxon

Vasconcelos
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
To my knowledge I'm 100% Portuguese, north of the Mondego river.
Here's some details (going to use old fashioned provinces as people still refer to them)

3/8 Beria Alta
My father's family was mostly from small villages near the city of Mangualde, just a few kilometers southeast of Viseu.

1/8 Minho
My father's maternal grandfather was from Minho (my father is named just like him + father's family name), unfortunetly we don't know were exactly, my grandmother is nearly 93 and doesn't remember, but sure as hell I'd like to know.

1/2 Douro Litoral
This is my mother's family legacy, she was born in Porto. Her mother was from a village on the left bank of the Douro river and her father was from Gondomar, a city just next to the Porto city.

Here's a map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Rokolev/origens.gif

Black Turlogh
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
100% Irish.

http://i43.tinypic.com/28i19mp.jpg

Laudanum
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Dutch.

The Lawspeaker
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Dutch.

Same here: Dutch. There is some frog in there though. But mainly Greater Netherlands (and even (most of) that frog part seems to be from the Greater Netherlands area).

LightInDarkness
01-19-2012, 03:33 AM
A SHIT LOAD of different European countries make up my ethnic origin.

Jake Featherston
01-19-2012, 04:16 AM
I am 7/8ths Irish, 1/16th French, and 1/16th English.

My paternal grandmother was half-Irish, 1/4th French, and a 1/4th English. My three other grandparents were wholly Irish.

Anarch
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Almost entirely Irish. A bit of English blood, but not much.

Olika
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm Russian and I have Ukrainian roots my grandfather(father my mom) was Ukrainian.

brunette
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Simarik Pontic Pwincezzzz...

Lelya
03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I am 7/8 Russian and 1/8 Volga Tatar. Quite a typical mix for my region:wink

Styggnacke
03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
(Southern) Swedish. No recent foreign ancestry whatsoever.

Minesweeper
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Pure Serb.

It sounds so great you know, to be pure.:cool::p

hajduk
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
All my ancestors are from this region
http://guide.travel.bg/images/sofia-region.gif

Rouxinol
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Portuguese: 1/2 from Minho and the other 1/2 from Baixo Alentejo.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Provincia_Minho.pnghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Provincia_Baixo_Alentejo.png

Paluga
03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I look like a standard slav but I have 25%(Or even a little bit more) volga-german genes in me :)

The other parts are 25% south russian, 25% ukrainian and 25% belorussian.

So I'm a very mixed european guy

2Cool
03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Pure Portuguese.

Pallantides
03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Seem I'm more Swedish than Norwegian according to this:

I first ran Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch and German to see which would be sorted out. It turns out that only Swedish was accepted. Later in the matching process FIN30 showed up as significant. Still later Norwegian appeared. Your analysis is:

DOD197 By Correlation:
RMSD = ± 0.3187%
Goodness of Fit = 98.41% With 95% Confidence Limits
Error (95%) ± 0.83%

Population Avg.% min max Generations_Ago Years_Ago
Swedish_D 89.01% 88.19% 89.84% 1 19
FIN30 5.16% 4.33% 5.99% 10 320
Norwegian_D 3.60% 2.78% 4.43% 14 458
Mordovians_Y 2.01% 1.18% 2.83% 25 823
Russian_B 0.22% 0.00% 1.05% 227 7,487

The Russian_B is doubtful. Forest Finns, who were part of the Swedish Empire of the 17th century were settled in parts of Sweden West of Stockholm and near the Norwegian border of today so it is not surprising that this mixture occurs.

:D

Styggnacke
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Aren't you partly Swedish? ;)

Pallantides
03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Aren't you partly Swedish? ;)

My maternal grandmothers paternal grandfather was Swedish.

Kalitas
03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
As my profile says, half galician (north west Spain), half north italian. Nothing special

Mary
03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm ethnic Russian.

Ivo Arandur
03-28-2012, 06:40 PM
1/2 Bulgarian, 1/4 Russian, 1/4 Ukranian + probably some other ingredients i'm just not aware of :p

Äike
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm almost fully Estonian with some Estonian-Swede ancestry.

Geminus
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Pure blood German. :cool:
Maybe some really distant Slavic ancestry, due to sound of surname and slight phenotypic traits. But that's just speculation. (Everyone wants to be a bit extraordinary, right? ;))

Europa
03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Bulgarian.Traced back till 1810,before that .....?

Trun
03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Bulgarian. There may be some very distant Aromanian ancestry, but most likely there isn't.

Corvus
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
1/2 Austrian 1/4 Slovenian 1/4 Italian

Patches
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
From what I know English, Irish, and French. But there is more and I'm unsure in regards to percentage...

Xenomorph
04-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm a little less than two-third Irish descent, a little less than a third German descent, some Austrian, a tiny smattering of Italian, French, and English. Somehow I doubt that this is everything; there's a faint possibility that on my father's side (all from South Carolina), I might have a drop or two of African or Native American blood. Who knows?

curiousman
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Eastern-alpine

Bobcat Fraser
06-26-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm mainly British and Irish with some continental European and varied ethnicities added to the mix. My forebears came from most regions in the Isles, and they intermingled in the colonial frontier. A Gaelic Irish man might marry a WASP woman, and their son might marry a Welsh girl with a German grandpa. All of my great-grandparents were of mixed nationalities.

Hurrem sultana
06-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Bosniak

Great grandma was sephardic jew,and apparently i have some hungarian roots too

MarkyMark
06-26-2012, 01:44 AM
My great grandmother was full Irish from Cork. The other 3 grandparents from that side are Italians from Campania and Latium.
The other side is Syrian however I'm suspicious we are full syrian because our surname sounds Italian(ends with -aro) and my great great grandparents were protestants, and the woman had the name Aralia which is definitely not Syrian.

Midori
06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
apparently i have some hungarian roots too

That explains your ubermensch look. I have them too :cool:

Neanderthal
06-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Native American.

dralos
06-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Bosniak

lol and all that in one day:D

Siberian Cold Breeze
06-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Oguz -Türkmen of Bayat tribe

BAYĀT, an important Turkish tribe.

Name and origin. Bayāt was one of the twenty-two Oghuz tribes listed in Maḥmūd Kāšgarī’s Dīvānlugat al-turk (comp. 464-76/1072-83). The tribe had a traditional brand mark and its totem was the falcon. The form Bāyāt is found only in Rašīd-al-Dīn’s "Jāmeʿ al-tawārīḵ" (early 8th/14th century-which is based on a lost Mongolian official chronicle "The Altan debter" material preserved by Rašīd-al-Dīn)
The name’s etymology is uncertain; it is the regular plural of bayan “rich” and may come from the probably Mongol Žuan-žuan. In that case Rašīd-al-Dīn’s statement that it means fortunate would happen to be correct.

They arrived in Persia, Central Asia, Transcaucasia, Anatolia as part of the Seljuqs 11th century and second wave came as part of the Mongol army 13th century,

Today there are also some Bayats known as Bayad in Mongolia but I dont know how they related with Oguz tribe or simply a name similarity
http://www.joshuaproject.net/peopctry.php?rop3=101168&rog3=MG

Guapo
06-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Albanian Turk

PS. why is xenomorph a "guest"? he was really another member, maybe a mod? :laugh:

Dacul
06-26-2012, 03:16 AM
I have jewish roots also!

Becos some old lady gave me some flower she brought from Israel so I put that flower in my house.
So now I have jewish roots in my house,from that flower.
However,one of my evul cats being quite anti-semite I think knocked down the pot with that flower and now my jewish roots are gone :( .

Siberian Cold Breeze
06-26-2012, 03:35 AM
I have jewish roots also!

Becos some old lady gave me some flower she brought from Israel so I put that flower in my house.
So now I have jewish roots in my house,from that flower.
However,one of my evul cats being quite anti-semite I think knocked down the pot with that flower and now my jewish roots are gone :( .

I laughed so loudly almost woke my mother and father up ..it was an unexpected burst ..i m not sure should i thank for making my day or get mad (erm..its 6.am in the morning.):D

~Elizabeth~
06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm American and my ancestors were from England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Czechoslovakia.
All of my ancestors were Protestant, of various denominations, except for my grandfather who was born and raised Catholic (he was of Czechoslovakian descent) and he became a Protestant to marry my grandmother.

accepthetruth
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Paternal ancestry is Scots-English (along the modern day border), German (supposedly the part that was known as "Prussia", though ancestor came from Berlin to america) and Dutch. Mother's is Lebanese (Libnan-Nord region) which comes with mongolian, and crusader (western european) admixture

Archduke
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm fully Bulgarian.

Matilda
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
romanian and hungarian

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Mostly Baltic - Latvian. I am also 1/4 Russian, but my Russian roots are really Baltic, geographically and genetically and I have some German/Germanic roots, but I identify myself only as a Latvian.

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
romanian and hungarian

I had a teacher who was a Hungarian from Romania. :)

Rereg
06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Mostly Baltic - Latvian. I am also 1/4 Russian, but my Russian roots are really Baltic

http://www.trans.info/images/news/facepalm.jpg

Russian =/= Baltic

Sultan Suleiman
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Bosniak

That explains your infidel hair and eye color...

Dacul
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
@Rereg:
In case you did not noticed at baltids and north russians only languages are different autosomal DNA and Y DNA are very closed.
So Didriksson could be right about her 1/4 russian ancestry being baltic also.

Siginulfo
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
In this period I'm discovering a lot on my paternal ancestry. I found that my surname was present either in Thrace or Scythia Minor (obviously surnames didn't exist in those ancestral times, my surname is based on that name) and then in Asia Minor. In all greek regions that name was absent. My ancestors probably were hellenized Thracians in Alexander the Great army that settled in Asia Minor after defeating the Persian satraps that had possess of Greek cities. After a lot of centuries the surname appeared in the Aegean island of Amorgos in 1555 and, almost at the same time it appeared in Italy.

Rereg
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
@Rereg:
In case you did not noticed at baltids and north russians only languages are different autosomal DNA and Y DNA are very closed.

Because a lot of north-Russians and Latvians are indo-europeized Finno-Ugrians but generally Balts and Russians are different groups.

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
http://www.trans.info/images/news/facepalm.jpg

Russian =/= Baltic

Russian - Slavic
Latvian - Baltic

Comte Arnau
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Catalan and Catalan (+ some Upper Aragonese, Basque and Occitan). That is, 100% Pyreno-Med, and proud. :cool:

http://oi47.tinypic.com/iyj6ah.jpg

morski
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm fully Bulgarian.

Same here.:thumb001:

PetiteParisienne
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Ashkenazi: French, Romanian, and Austrian.

Mordid
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Croatian

Arne
06-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Jewish .. i look jewish said someone

Vojnik
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I am 100% Macedonian with no other known ethnic origins.

Mordid
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Jewish .. i look jewish said someone
non sense, u look balkan

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Mostly Lithuanian, but I have a bit of Polish blood as well (my great-grandmother on mother's side was Polish). :)

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Mostly Lithuanian, but I have a bit of Polish blood as well (my great-grandmother on mother's side was Polish). :)

Is it common to have Polish roots in Lithuania?

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't say that it's uncommon, at least in the part of Lithuania I live in (south-western Lithuania). I know quite a lot of people here who have distant Polish roots :)

iNird
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm more Macedonian than the Macedonian posters here.

:coffee:

06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't say that it's uncommon, at least in the part of Lithuania I live in (south-western Lithuania). I know quite a lot of people here who have distant Polish roots :)

Definitely not the case in Samogitia.

--

I'm 3/4 Nothern Samogitian.

1/4 supposedly Russian, but it's little known about it, I'm not sure if he was really a Russian and let's say not a Belarussian.

evon
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Western Norwegian, with some German ancestry going back to the late middle ages, also minor distant East Asian/Manchurian ancestry...

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Definitely not the case in Samogitia.

--

I'm 3/4 Nothern Samogitian.

1/4 supposedly Russian, but it's little known about it, I'm not sure if he was really a Russian and not let's say a Belarussian.

I suppose it's not the case in Samogitia, however it's quite common in parts of Aukštaitija (including Dzūkija)

06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
I suppose it's not the case in Samogitia, however it's quite common in parts of Aukštaitija (including Dzūkija)

Yes, I that's what I meant.

But anyway, what do you mean by saying "distant Polish roots"? ~ How many generations back? (I'm talking about Lithuanian inhabitants of Dzukija)

EDIT: Generations not regions.

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, I that's what I meant.

But anyway, what do you mean by saying "distant Polish roots"? ~ How many regions back? (I'm talking about Lithuanian inhabitants of Dzukija)

Less than 1/8 of Polish blood.

06-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Less than 1/8 of Polish blood.

I think only genetic testing could prove these things. I don't trust family legends. Not saying it's not true in the case of dzukai though. Either way, should be interesting.

Hurrem sultana
06-26-2012, 02:32 PM
That explains your infidel hair and eye color...

Bosnian jews are sephardic and dark,my grandma was dark they called her "mrka" because she had beautiful black hair with black eyes

i got my blonde genes from my other side of family:thumb001:

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I think only genetic testing could prove these things. I don't trust family legends. Not saying it's not true in the case of dzukai though. Either way, should be interesting.

Obviously, that's why I mentioned people that I personally know. I'd say that it's not uncommon, but exactly how common is that- that's something you'll only know with genetic testing done.

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Greek

lI
06-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Certainly not in Aukštaitija itself - unless you're going by the newly constructed linguistic terms like:
Dzūkija=Southern Aukštaitija
Suvalkija = Western Aukštaitija.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Etnoregionai.png

Also, there's an issue of Lithuanians often not bothering to make a distinction between Polish and Polonized. Before digging through my family tree in church records I thought that one of my great-great-grandmothers was Polish based mainly on that one of my grandmother's cousin told me that her mom would call G-G-grandma "that damned Polack" when she would get angry with her and that she had a Polish suffix in her surname :lol:

I strongly advise anyone with such family legends to have a look at the church records, people often don't realize just how immense the wave of cultural Polonization was in 19th century (in some regions as much as a third of ethnic Lithuanians added Polish suffixes to their surnames), as opposed to actual migration which wasn't big at all.
Many church books are available online here:
http://www.epaveldas.lt/

The list of what books are available:
http://www.epaveldas.lt/vbspi/content/docs/about/archyvai_portale.pdf

BTW as for the genetic side of things, Dzukians don't show affinities to Poles. In fact it's quite the opposite - Poles are more Western than Lithuanians in European context, whereas Dzukians consistently come out as slightly more Eastern than Lithuanian average (two Dzukians @ Eurogenes project + one @ GEDmatch - you could say "viena kreždė dar ne pavasaris" bet čia jau trys kregždės ir visos panašios) - they show affinities to Belarussians which is not really surprising considering known history (Dzukians=Baltic Yotvingians more or less, Belarussians=Yotvingians+Slavic people, not clear at what proportions). Also one (out of ten) academic reference Lithuanian sample which all genome bloggers use in their projects shows affinity to Belarussians too - even greater than that of the project participants.

Back on topic: I'm Lithuanian

Lena
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Serbian and some Hungarian blood mixed, although predominantly Serbian :eyes

Optimus
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Greek

:confused: Aren't you Slavic?

Anyway i am ethnically 100% Macedonian.

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 03:10 PM
:confused: Aren't you Slavic?

Anyway i am ethnically 100% Macedonian.

Yeah. I'm Polish. Today I'm Greek though! :p

Gospodine
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Wow, lot of mutts in here. Should start a 100% club.

Riki
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Portuguese.Ancestry is spread from North to South of Portugal.
And the oldest we can trace it's found in Galicia.Which makes sense.

Mordid
06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with having Polish blood, be proud of it

Hess
06-26-2012, 05:05 PM

It would make sense, historically speaking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Lithuanian_Commonwealth)

Hess
06-26-2012, 05:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with having Polish blood

Hitler Kat Agrees
http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/86/41/c40e9adc87d278ab86848258c2452dd1.jpg

lI
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM

I would be proud if I had some but, sadly, I'm cham (https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1FDUM_en&sugexp=chrome,mod=19&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=jak+polacy+do+pan#hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1FDUM_en&sclient=psy-ab&q=polak+pan+litwin+cham&oq=polak+pan+litwin+cham&aq=f&aqi=g-K1&aql=&gs_l=serp.3..0i30.9394.10495.3.10697.5.5.0.0.0.1.1 63.682.1j4.5.0...0.0.OuiVo_19b54&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=826af312f4911011&biw=1366&bih=607) to the bone :(

lI
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
It would make sense, historically speaking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Lithuanian_Commonwealth)

And yet bearing in mind genetic results, it seems the influence was cultural rather than ancestral.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=757199#post757199

Autosomally, Poles overlap with Russians more:
http://spittoon.23andme.com/2011/10/21/genes-and-geography/
(colours enhanced for convenience)
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/smurkst/stuff/Genes-mirror-geography-for-Europeans-1.png
ZOOMED IN
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/smurkst/stuff/Genes-mirror-geography-zoom.png

Lithuanians vs Poles
LT3 has German ancestry and thus isn't representative, LTPL's Polish ancestry comes from just a few miles away from Lithuania's border, LT5 is yours truly :icon_lol:
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/smurkst/stuff/lithuanianspolescolour.png

Harmonia
06-26-2012, 05:31 PM

I'm not sure if it was directed at me, but I'm not ashamed of it by any means. I'm mostly Lithuanian, so I consider myself to be one and I'm proud of it. But I'm proud to have a bit of Polish blood as well. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be so.

Mordid
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
that's the spirit, monika

Incel King
06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Serbian and Croatian

Mordid
06-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Serbian and Croatian
Basically South Slav mutt.

Rereg
06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
And yet bearing in mind genetic results, it seems the influence was cultural rather than ancestral.

But it doesn't meant that Poles from Vilnian Country are/were unity with Balts from Samogitia (modern Lithuanians). Those people have mixed origin, usually they are mix between Poles from Podlachia, Belarussians and historical Lithuanians.  :)

Mordid
06-26-2012, 05:40 PM

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=757199#post757199
make sense, southern poles are identical to northern ukrainians than some Slovaks and Czechs.

Mordid
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
But it doesn't meant that Poles from Vilnian Country are/were unity with Balts from Samogitia (modern Lithuanians). Those people have mixed origin, usually they are mix between Poles from Podlachia, Belarussians and historical Lithuanians.  :)
South Lithuanians are self hating Balticised Poles. :coffee:

Albion
06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Western Norwegian, with some German ancestry going back to the late middle ages, also minor distant East Asian/Manchurian ancestry...

How did you get Manchurian ancestry? :confused:

Waidewut
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure if it was directed at me, but I'm not ashamed of it by any means. I'm mostly Lithuanian, so I consider myself to be one and I'm proud of it. But I'm proud to have a bit of Polish blood as well. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be so.

I have a similar opinion about this as you (I am also 1/8 Polack).
Sadly, due to certain circumstances there hasn't been much cultural influence from my Polish great-grandfather so that the amount of my Polishness would be relevant to my self identification.

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a similar opinion about this as you (I am also 1/8 Polack).
Sadly, due to certain circumstances there hasn't been much cultural influence from my Polish great-grandfather so that the amount of my Polishness would be relevant to my self identification.

I have a Russian grandmother and I completely cannot relate to my Russian side, mentally and in my heart I am probably more Latvian than some 'pure' Latvians!

edit: I can speak Russian, but it's still a foreign language to me like to any other non - mixed Latvian.

Virtuous
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Maltese

Vereni
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
100% Bulgarian,100% proud.

sturmwalkure
06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Italian (Calabria, Naples), France (& Quebec), Germany, Slovakia, Poland, England and Scotland.

Midori
06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Great Britain and Scotland.

Scotland is part of Great Britain.

sturmwalkure
06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Scotland is part of Great Britain.

I meant to say England. :P

evon
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
How did you get Manchurian ancestry? :confused:

Probably via merchants taking advantage of the Pax-mongolica, or something along those lines, via, Central Asia and then Russia (Tatars) into Europe..probably all happening in the late middle age or so...

Peyrol
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Mostly northern italian and provençal ("Gallo-Italic/Gallo-Romance") with a central italian (Lazio) imput.

I've definitely bavarian, greek, magyar and croat ancestors (going back for centuries) from the venetian side of the family.

Pecheneg
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Paternal ancestry
central anatolian Turk

Maternal ancestry
crimean Tatar

Kazimiera
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
From maternal side: Polish, USSR (probably Belarus or Ukraine), German speaking Silesian.

I identify with this side because it was my mom and maternal grandmother who raised me.

Paternal: Dauphine in France and Holland

Kalitas
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Half Italian (maternal side), Half Spanish (paternal side), nothing special

Corvus
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
From maternal side: Polish, USSR (probably Belarus or Ukraine), German speaking Silesian.

I identify with this side because it was my mom and maternal grandmother who raised me.

Paternal: Dauphine in France and Holland

You inherited your look mainly from your maternal side which is rare, because often the father side is dominant

Didriksson
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
You inherited your look mainly from your maternal side which is rare, because often the father side is dominant

First time when I hear about something like this.

Damião de Góis
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I probably posted it before but here goes...

my known ancestors:

http://i44.tinypic.com/wsnuzd.jpg

my three surnames in Spain (since we don't have this for Portugal..)

http://oi49.tinypic.com/4t0h6v.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2hqw8hu.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/fdsrgm.jpg

Kazimiera
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM

True. Nothing of me looks like my father at all. Or his side of the family. Besides eye colour.

Linet
06-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I am 50% Greek from my mamas side and 50% Greek :eyes from my dads side :cool:

Patches
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Same here :p

Linet
06-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Same here :p

Naaaah :eusa_liar:
...you said its only for today....:nerd:

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 08:51 PM
LOL @

"my ethnic origin is 1/8 Norwegian, 3/8 British from which 1/8 is Scottish and the rest English, then my grandmother is Basque and I also have some blood from the Norman nobility"

what the heck is wrong with you guys? your ethnicity is AMERICAN. You are no norwegian, no brit, no basque (let alone Norman, a culture that no longer exists as such) and you will NEVER be accepted by Basques as BAsques or by Scottish as Scottish.

unless both your parents are immigrants from Europe, and therefore you have had at home other influence (LANGUAGE, school of thought, cultural traits) than pan-american plus some local stuff from your particular state you can't consider yourself other than American. And its very sad that you wish so, being the American civilization and culture something so unique and so strong that is influecing everybody else in the world.

In a way, many European countries are more Americanized than America is Europeized.

Sure, Americans as a rule departed from Europe. But not only physically, their civilisation also departed. You could argue that UK had a lot to contribute to American culture, and it did so in the beginning, but there was also a lot of UK that new worlders wanted to be free off, as there was a lot of Europe that the mass migrations of Europeans that made it to the new world wanted to lose too in the way.

The fact that there are so many minority communities that still keep their ties and ways to their places of ancestry makes it even more visible that the majority have become something else.

American is an ethnicity even though is not , for obvious reasons, tied to race in the way Continental European ethnicities are .

Ushtari
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
that makes u totally 50% Greek, where does the other 50% come from? i bet its albanian :coffee::coffee:

Linet
06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
that makes u totally 50% Greek, where does the other 50% come from? i bet its albanian :coffee::coffee:

:blink:
Oh come on....i tried so hard to hide it :cry2:...how did you get me? :puppy_dp:

dralos
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
albanian from dukagjini area(both parents from there too)

Comte Arnau
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
LOL @

"my ethnic origin is 1/8 Norwegian, 3/8 British from which 1/8 is Scottish and the rest English, then my grandmother is Basque and I also have some blood from the Norman nobility"

what the heck is wrong with you guys? your ethnicity is AMERICAN. You are no norwegian, no brit, no basque (let alone Norman, a culture that no longer exists as such) and you will NEVER be accepted by Basques as BAsques or by Scottish as Scottish.

unless both your parents are immigrants from Europe, and therefore you have had at home other influence (LANGUAGE, school of thought, cultural traits) than pan-american plus some local stuff from your particular state you can't consider yourself other than American. And its very sad that you wish so, being the American civilization and culture something so unique and so strong that is influecing everybody else in the world.

In a way, many European countries are more Americanized than America is Europeized.

Sure, Americans as a rule departed from Europe. But not only physically, their civilisation also departed. You could argue that UK had a lot to contribute to American culture, and it did so in the beginning, but there was also a lot of UK that new worlders wanted to be free off, as there was a lot of Europe that the mass migrations of Europeans that made it to the new world wanted to lose too in the way.

The fact that there are so many minority communities that still keep their ties and ways to their places of ancestry makes it even more visible that the majority have become something else.

American is an ethnicity even though is not , for obvious reasons, tied to race in the way Continental European ethnicities are .

Relax, man. All their life they've confused ancestry with ethnicity, yours is too much information all of a sudden! You want them to have a cultural shock? :p

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Relax, man. All their life they've confused ancestry with ethnicity, yours is too much information all of a sudden! You want them to have a cultural shock? :p

Also in terms of race, White Americans are predominantly mixed Caucasoids. Continental Europeans are much more racially isolated from one another (even if not completely exent from mix either)

A group of white americans would stand out in most European crowds. That is not necessarily a bad thing, since American folks, no matter what racial branch predominates on them (white americans, black americans, asian americans), look just as good if not better in many cases than whites, blacks and asians elsewere.

In my experience Aussies and Kiwies are much more Brittish than Americans, (meaning they also keep their European traits stronger) but even they are significatly different in character and culture, enough to be considered a different ethnicity. Even though racially speaking, their European lineages are much more consistent than Americans can ever dream to be (the vast majority of Antipodean whites are of mostly or exclusively British stock), most of the Kiwies and Aussies that I have met where just content to be so and liked to emphasize how good it is to be an Antipodean

If some catalans consider themselves a different ethnicity from the rest of Iberians altogether (as Count there will insist) it is laughing stock for most of actual Euros here, how people whose lineages and culture departed in time and space so greatly and created something so strikingly different want so badly to identify themselves with their European ancestries , to the point of the "I'm 1/8 italian" kind of thing.

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
btw my Ethnicity is Iberian of the central-north type.My nationality is Spanish. In terms of ancestry, well, I can go back until XVII century on my father side and until XIV on my maternal side, but until I don't get my 23 and me I can't prove I'm not a cripto-jew (or even Sarracen to the joy of many here, or who knows, maybe North European, to their annoyance) Not that either result would make me change my religion or ethnicity, but it's always nice to know, if you're a nerdy

Edelmann
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
LOL @

You guys aren't very bright. Read the first post:

So, if you wish, please give a description of your lineage. I'll start...

He's asking for ancestry.

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
You guys aren't very bright. Read the first post:

He's asking for ancestry.

You think we're missing the point of the thread... It's OK if you think we're not very bright. I guess what we said does not make any sense for you and in a general way can be considered off topic...but again , even if it was just ranting I assume many here did understand our point (at least I infer that by the number of reps I got from my posts)

Edelmann
06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
You think we're missing the point of the thread... It's OK if you think we're not very bright. I guess what we said does not make any sense for you and in a general way can be considered off topic...but again , even if it was just ranting I assume many here did understand our point (at least I infer that by the number of reps I got from my posts)

I wasn't aware that you had a point, other than to needlessly abuse Americans.

Albion
06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Well it's easy to understand why some Europeans dislike Americans identifying with their ethnicity. After all, America is a different country and they've been raised in a different culture and often are of mixed European heritage.

But at the same time we should not attack them for claiming ancestry from specific regions of Europe because whether American or not, ancestry is ancestry.

Mraz
06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Bosniak from Krajina.

evon
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Well it's easy to understand why some Europeans dislike Americans identifying with their ethnicity. After all, America is a different country and they've been raised in a different culture and often are of mixed European heritage.

But at the same time we should not attack them for claiming ancestry from specific regions of Europe because whether American or not, ancestry is ancestry.

Yes i agree, but there is a huge difference between ethnic ancestry/identity and biological ancestry, Americans are cursed that way, they are like orphaned children grown up on a steady diet of a Americanized view of their ancestry, which is usually a hollywood'ish version of reality..now that is not my problem as such, its their identity issues and they need to work them out on their own, i just get saddened when they export that shit to Europe via the media and pop-culture and pollute our uneducated masses with this falsification of our own ancestry and history, movies like Thor make my heart bleed :(

Rammstein sums it all up pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxroiTRg7Tg

SKYNET
06-26-2012, 10:06 PM
A m e r i c a n

StonyArabia
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Circassian from Southern Russia and Syrian Desert Arab from the nomadic tribesmen called Bedouins. My father is redhead from Circassia and so was his mom, and his father was blond guy. My mom is swarthy Arabian who has a very petite body structure and in general small. My mother is from the Shamamr tribe, well my father is Circassian that's all I know, though our surname indicate Alanic roots.

Midori
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
A m e r i c a n

Not an ethnicity

Neanderthal
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
A m e r i c a n

That's why I labeled myself as Native American. Some might think is a blasphemy a filthy Mestizo like myself to even asociate with Europe.:p I'm ok with it tho, it's not like i'm begging acceptation anyhow, it just seem a bit childish "No I wont share part of my cultural heritage with you you mutt scum." :D

evon
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Not an ethnicity

Actually i think most people see it as such, and i understand why, it has the continental name in the nations name... Unlike Canadians ect who are not Americans..

Peyrol
06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Half Italian (maternal side), Half Spanish (paternal side), nothing special

Very argentine :p

aimar
06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
portuguese, all from Viseu district, the ones my grandparents can trace(early 1800s)

Damião de Góis
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
This thread is about ancestry like Edelmann said, not ethnicity. Otherwise i would have just answered portuguese and would not have bothered with this:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=981299&postcount=208

aimar
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
my three surnames in Spain (since we don't have this for Portugal..)

http://oi49.tinypic.com/4t0h6v.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2hqw8hu.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/fdsrgm.jpg

link for that website?

Damião de Góis
06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
link for that website?

http://www.ine.es/daco/daco42/nombyapel/nombyapel.htm

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I wasn't aware that you had a point, other than to needlessly abuse Americans.

interesting way to put it.

pero no hiere quien quiere, sino quien puede

Comte Arnau
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
If some catalans consider themselves a different ethnicity from the rest of Iberians

It's not a matter of consideration. Catalans are a different ethnicity from the very moment it's a group of people who share a distinct language as well as other ethnocultural traits. Period. Some people belonging to this ethnic group aren't even Iberians.

Now try to convince the Portuguese too that they're the same ethnicity as you. Lol.

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 11:18 PM
It's not a matter of consideration. Catalans are a different ethnicity from the very moment it's a group of people who share a distinct language as well as other ethnocultural traits. Period. Some people belonging to this ethnic group aren't even Iberians.

Now try to convince the Portuguese too that they're the same ethnicity as you. Lol.

Most Portuguese I know would not think of themselves to belong to a different ethnic group than mine. Unless by ethnic group you mean linguistic or national group.

Most Portuguese I know recognize Spaniards as a different version of the same thing and nothing exotic, foreign or alien. There is some historic rivalry, and many Portuguese have negative stereotypes against Spaniards (I guess there are some too in the other direction, althought I would say Portuguese aren't the Iberians that get the worst reps. Andalusians and Catalans possibly are.

That doesn't make Andalusians or Catalans non Iberians. The fact that there are some Catalan speakers in a tiny enclave of southern France doesn't change the fact that Spanish Catalans are Iberians.

The fact that there are Spanish speakers in two tiny enclaves in northern Africa doesn't make the Iberians Africans. If something we could argue how Iberians are the melillenses and ceuties (and the Catalan-speakers of the Rosellon too))

PS. By ethnic group I think of peoples that are genetically, historically, geographically and culturally related in a consistent way:

-Iberians are an ethnic group despite speaking different languages and being organized in different states

Comte Arnau
06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Most Portuguese I know would not think themselves to belong to a different ethnic group than me. Unless by ethnic group you mean linguistic or national group.

Most Portuguese I know recognize Spaniards as a different version of the same thing and nothing exotic, foreign or alien. There is some historic rivalry, and many Portuguese have negative stereotypes against Spaniards (I guess there are some too in the other direction, althought I would say Portuguese aren't the Iberians that get the worst reps. Andalusians and Catalans possibly are.

That doesn't make Andalusians or Catalans non Iberians. The fact that there are some Catalan speakers in a tiny enclave of southern France doesn't change the fact that Spanish Catalans are Iberians.

The fact that there are Spanish speakers in two tiny enclaves in northern Africa doesn't make the Iberians Africans. If something we could argue how Iberians are the melillenses and ceuties (and the Catalan-speakers of the Rosellon too))

Lol man, whatever. Don't criticize Americans if you also invent your own concept of ethnicity.

Today I've learned from you that language doesn't mean a thing when it comes to ethnicity and from Linet that Greek is not an Indo-European language. I can sleep sound now.

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Lol man, whatever. Don't criticize Americans if you also invent your own concept of ethnicity.

Today I've learned from you that language doesn't mean a thing when it comes to ethnicity and from Linet that Greek is not an Indo-European language. I can sleep sound now.

that comparison and reductio ad absurdum is too cheap.

Greek is Indo European

Ethnic group does not equal nationality or linguistic group.

ie. Spanish is not an ethnicity. It's a nationality. Catalan however CAN be considered a sub-ethnic division . Like Bavarians and Austrians are sub-ethnic divisions of Germans, and Slovens, Croats and Serbs are sub-ethnic divisios of Balcan Slavs.

Catalan is to Iberian in terms of ethnicity what it is to Spanish in terms of Nationality. A subdivision

Raikaswinþs
06-26-2012, 11:38 PM

that comparison and reductio ad absurdum is too cheap.

Greek is Indo European

Ethnic group does not equal nationality or linguistic group.

ie. Spanish is not an ethnicity. It's a nationality. Catalan however CAN be considered a sub-ethnic division. Like Bavarians and Austrians are sub-ethnic divisions of Germans, and Slovens, Croats and Serbs are sub-ethnic divisios of Balcan Slavs

Catalan is to Iberian in terms of Ethnicity what it is to Spanish in terms of nationality: A subdivision

Comte Arnau
06-26-2012, 11:41 PM
ie. Spanish is not an ethnicity. It's a nationality. Catalan however CAN be considered a sub-ethnic division . Like Bavarians and Austrians are sub-ethnic divisions of Germans, and Slovens, Croats and Serbs are sub-ethnic divisios of Balcan Slavs.

Catalan is to Iberian in terms of ethnicity what it is to Spanish in terms of Nationality. A subdivision

Bavarians and Austrians speak the same language. Croats and Serbs speak the same language. Catalans and Castilians/Spaniards do not. Period.

Barreldriver
06-27-2012, 03:30 AM
My ethnic origin is generally stated as Upland Southron.

I am a Mountain District Middle Tennessean.

These are the principle root regions of my forefathers (this responsible for about 75% of my ancestry):

Yorkshire, England
Suffolk, England
Hampshire, England
Somerset, England
Devon, England
Co. Antrim, Ulster
Co. Donegal, Ulster
Co. Tyrone, Ulster
Co. Cavan, Ulster

2Cool
06-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Bavarians and Austrians speak the same language. Croats and Serbs speak the same language. Catalans and Castilians/Spaniards do not. Period.

Why can't Iberians just get along :(

Comte Arnau
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Why can't Iberians just get along :(

Of course we can. But dressed the way we are, not as transvestites. The Portuguese as Portuguese, the Catalans as Catalans.

I'm a proud Iberian. But that doesn't make Iberian a single ethnicity. Just like I'm a proud European, and European isn't a single ethnicity either.

Raikaswinþs
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Do Slovenes speak the same language too? no, yet they are Balcan Slavs.

are speakers of Northern Low Saxon a separate ethnicity too? and of North Frisian?

There are many ethnicities that speak Russian, English, French, Arabic or Spanish, yet you would not chunk Moroccans , Egyptians and Quataris in the same box. Or the spanish speaking peoples from Bogotá, Monterrey and Tarragona...are they the same ethnicity? no, that's what I thought

Language is an important tribal component, but Catalonia is a supertribe made of millions of people that don't know each other, same as every other region of every other western modern society. And not even all of them use Catalan as their first language in a day to day basis...millions use Spanish...yet the Spanish speaking Catalan is still in the Catalan subdivision and not in the Extremaduran.

It is true that humans tend to atomization and tribalism, and that nationalities and ethnicities are social engineering construct. That is true for the Iberian supertribe as much as for the Catalan supertrive. What separates Catalonia from Iberians , can separate people from Tarragona from people from Girona. All those national and regional symbols are fake and stupid, yet necessary for the cohesion of those millions of unrelated folks. When you live in a 4 million city it is hard to avoid tribal alienation. All those football clubs, linguistic rivalrires, social clubs, class divisions etc works as pseudo tribes inside of the supertribes in order to provide humans with a more genetically familiar taste of their tribalistic nature.

The sense of belonging to that Spanish supertribe has to do primarily with race and culture. Language is there too, but is not a fundamental piece. I don't need to listen to a person speak a Spanish language to recognize them as one of my own, and that is one thin you don't understad, maybe because you haven't lived for years abroad

Comte Arnau
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Do Slovenes speak the same language too? no, yet they are Balcan Slavs.

So? Balkan Slav is not an ethnicity.

What's more: Slovenia is not even in the Balkan peninsula.

are speakers of Northern Low Saxon a separate ethnicity too? and of North Frisian?

If they speak a distinct language and feel as a distinct ethnic group, of course they are. I don't know exactly at what stage in the process of assimilation they are now.

There are many ethnicities that speak Russian, English, French, Arabic or Spanish, yet you would not chunk Moroccans , Egyptians and Quataris in the same box. Or the spanish speaking peoples from Bogotá, Monterrey and Tarragona...are they the same ethnicity? no, that's what I thought

I've never said all the speakers of a language belonged to the same ethnicity. I am an English speaker and neither I am nor I feel English. If a Jap learns Catalan, I don't consider him an ethnic Catalan, so I don't see what is your point here.

Language is an important tribal component, but Catalonia is a supertribe made of millions of people that don't know each other, same as every other region of every other western modern society.

Now you changed from ethnicity to territory. How convenient.

And not even all of them use Catalan as their first language in a day to day basis...millions use Spanish...

There are many Spanish Catalonians indeed, where is the surprise? There are Spanish French too. They aren't ethnic Catalans or ethnic French.

What separates Catalonia from Iberians , can separate people from Tarragona from people from Girona.

The most important ethnic bond doesn't separate people from TGN from those of Girona.

But you know, we probably speak Catalan just to annoy Spaniards...

http://oi45.tinypic.com/nzriv6.jpg

All those national and regional symbols are fake and stupid, yet necessary for the cohesion of those millions of unrelated folks

Folks know quite well when they form -and want to form- a distinct people. Symbols are just there to represent that unity and heritage, so they have a purpose. If you consider them stupid, that's just your view. I show respect for them. I even show respect for the Spanish flag, difficult as it is.

The sense of belonging to that Spanish supertribe has to do primarily with race and culture.

Lol, what race? The Spanish race? Viva la raza!! :p

What culture? The Castilian one? :rolleyes:

Language is there too, but is not a fundamental piece.

It's the most essential one, as everyone not politically biased knows worldwide. You feel a special bond with those who speak as you and share the same cultural references and common memories as you.

Of course there are alienated exceptions. If you are one of them, good for you, but don't try to make it look like a majoritarian thing. People tend to stick to their folk even in this century.

I don't need to listen to a person speak a Spanish language to recognize them as one of my own,

I see, the taxonomy training sessions in this board gave you some skills. Congrats.

and that is one thin you don't understad, maybe because you haven't lived for years abroad

Try not to play that card: you'd probably lose.

exceeder
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Mother side is entirely Polish, though in looking up her coat of arms, there is a very possible likelyhood of distant ancestry from Moldavia.

Father side is 1/2 greek, 1/2 french canadian. Direct ancestors from France originally came from La Rochelle (West coast of France), whilst the greek ancestors came from a bit everywhere (northern & island greece, even lands that are outside of modern greece).

Pallantides
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
That's why I labeled myself as Native American. Some might think is a blasphemy a filthy Mestizo like myself to even asociate with Europe.:p I'm ok with it tho, it's not like i'm begging acceptation anyhow, it just seem a bit childish "No I wont share part of my cultural heritage with you you mutt scum." :D

How can you be a mestizo if you look like one of my cousins:D

You're an undercover Norwegian.

Kaspias
05-31-2019, 03:27 PM
bump