PDA

View Full Version : WW1 allied medal. But how many countries were Allies?

Germanicus
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Allied Victory Medals from the Great War

It was resolved that each of the Allied and Associated nations should issue a "Victory Medal" to their own nationals to prevent a mass exchange of commemorative awards between the nations.
It was further resolved that all the issues would have as a common feature the figure of Victory upon the obverse.

All were to share a common "double rainbow" ribbon.

The ribbon to the World War I Victory Medal consists of a double rainbow, with the red joining in the center.
The ribbon is edged with very narrow stripes of white.
The rainbows were selected to represent a "new era" and the calm after a storm (alluding to the First World War). It also represents the combined colors of the Allies joined together in a common cause.
The two rainbows also represent the two groupings of nations, Allied and Associated, meeting the heraldic colour for conflict and bravery.
The use of the double rainbow also provides symmetry and balance and avoids having the ribbon confused with that of the British 1914 Star (which, although not a rainbow, is similar).

The issue of the Victory Medal was optional and in the event the following 14 countries (from a possible 16) issued medals:

Great Britain, Belgium, Brazil, Cuba, Czechoslovakia (Serbia), France, Greece, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Romania, Thailand (Siam), Union of South Africa and United States of America.

China & Montenegro did not issue a medal.

Poland issued an "unofficial" version

For about a year now i have been busily collecting the Allied medals.

Collecting them has brought me great satisfaction from winning them in bids on Ebay, the medals i do not think i will be able to obtain are the Thailand(siam) and Cuban.
Here is my Grandfathers WW1 medals, stored in a Princess Mary Christmas 1914 gift box.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/005-1.jpg

On the corners of the box you can see stamped into it the allies taking part in the conflict.