PDA

View Full Version : Vikings on the History channel

Magnus Maximus
03-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Is anybody watching this?

What do you think?

There are a lot of factual and historical errors--However I enjoy the show.

Anglojew
03-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Yes, it's an excellent show. I really like it and hope it gains popularity. I think if it continues to be as good it could be compared to the great Game of Thrones.

I think in some ways it's historically accurate but in others it isn't. For instance, it's dipiction of Vikings clothing, society and technology (boats etc) are very accurate but what annoys me is the depiction of Vikings as ignorant of England and I also find it curious that it depicts the vikings and English as being so different from each other in their first encounters. Since old English and old Norse were very closely related languages and the two peoples were so closely related I doubt that the two peoples would really have looked at each other so strangely.

It's good to see an Aussie playing the lead character.

rhiannon
03-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Outstanding series. Hubs and I are glued to it each week lol. I don't know how accurate it is, but the series seems to have had a lot of thought put into proper historical portrayal.

Oneeye
03-19-2013, 05:51 AM
I'll have to check it out.

Magnus Maximus
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Anglojew

I thought the same thing about The Vikings not knowing about England. The Jutes (from denmark) settled there along with the Saxons, Frisians and angles. The language also--I would have thought while there would have been diffrences some of they should somewhat understand each other. At least enough ti get basic points across.

However, I love the show