PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to stop taking the pill?

Vulpix
08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Is it time to stop taking the pill? A new book asks whether the tide of risks has gone too far (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1208519/Is-time-stop-taking-pill-A-new-book-asks-tide-risks-gone-far.html)

By Sophie Morris

I was born in 1980, a couple of decades after the contraceptive pill gave women a longed-for control over their own sex lives and fertility.
By the mid-Nineties, however, fears about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections were in full flow.
At school we were advised to use condoms in all circumstances. I don't remember a single discussion about the contraceptive pill. I suppose it was assumed that, as teenagers, we were too young to consider using it.
So why is it that around 3.7 million women in the UK are currently taking 'the Pill', and around 100 million worldwide? The keenest uptake is among the young. An incredible 64 per cent of women aged between 20 and 24 are on the Pill, more than in any other age group.
The reason is the readiness with which it is prescribed by GPs, who often fail to offer alternatives. The Pill is widely accepted as the most effective form of contraceptive but it is also prescribed for a number of other complaints such as acne, irregular or heavy periods, period pain and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

In short the benefit of having sex without the fear of pregnancy (or the hassle of romance-killing condoms) is sold as a fair trade off to any of the many side-effects shared by various brands of Pill - weight gain, irritability-depression, anxiety, anger, loss of sex drive, migraines not to mention rumoured links to breast cancer and fatal blood clots.
But is it a fair trade off? The Pill: Are You Sure It's For You?, a new book out next month, queries why the Pill is so readily prescribed across the developed world when its negative side- effects are so frequent and sometimes fatal, and its effectiveness in preventing pregnancy less than perfect.
The authors, Jane Bennett and Alexandra Pope, interviewed thousands of women to illustrate the Pill's many downsides, showing that most women take the Pill unquestioningly because we believe that suppressing our bodies' natural hormones - our fertility - with synthetic hormones, is actually the natural thing to do.

'For young women exploring their contraceptive choices today, the Pill is often presented as the only responsible way to manage their fertility,' they write. 'The Pill, by its hormonal action, impacts profoundly on all our organs and bodily systems in order to have its effect on our fertility.'
Certainly had I known that taking the Pill for four to five years would result in a five-year wait to get my menstrual cycle back to normal, I never would have taken it in the first place.
At 17 my skin broke out in some very ugly acne. Having been spared this curse during puberty, I optimistically expected a future of unblemished skin. Instead, I suddenly found myself with sore, inflamed patches across my cheeks, chin and jawline.
I was embarrassed and it felt uncomfortable. Make-up clogged around the spots. Even the Max Factor Pan Sticks we were so fond of back then didn't provide enough coverage. Topical creams simply dried out the skin around the blemishes, surrounding the red bumps with flaky, scaly skin.
I went to ask the advice of my GP, probably my first visit since childhood inoculations. He was in his mid-30s, and I couldn't help noticing he had a few pimples straining through his ginger beard himself.
Would I be cursed with acne all my adult life? Thankfully not: in a few minutes he had written out a prescription for a contraceptive pill called Dianette.
Dianette appeared on the UK market in 1987. By 1990 its acne-clearing qualities had received the thumbs up from the medical profession and the media.

By February 1997, around the same time it was first prescribed for me, a 17-year-old girl from Great Yarmouth died of a blood clot on the lung six weeks into a course of Dianette.
Christina Robinson's death was the fifth case in ten years in which Dianette had been linked to a blood clot. Like me, Robinson was prescribed Dianette to treat her acne.

'We searched in vain for a Pill that didn't completely kill all sexual desire'

Last week, a study in the British Medical Journal of 26 different oral contraceptives linked the Pill with an increased risk of developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT), supporting a number of previous studies.
With Dianette, the risk increases by a staggering seven times.
My mother had heard about the dangers of Dianette early on and began to complain about my using it.
I smoked and was to take several long distance flights during my gap year, both of which contribute to the risk of a DVT, and she was worried.
Who was she to brief against my body when a GP had prescribed this medication? That's my mother the paediatrician, by the way, who ran family planning clinics for many years while I was growing up.
I certainly got my comeuppance for rebelling against her wisdom and experience in this instance. But at the time, as far as I was concerned, taking the Pill had nothing but up sides - an additional benefit for me was that it suppressed my unruly cycle.
My periods had always been long, heavy and unspeakably painful. I would wake up at around 4am on the first morning with an ache in my lower back that felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it while I was sleeping. I would double up, hugging my swollen tummy, for a few hours.
As soon as daylight came I would go in search of some Ibuprofen and take far more than the recommended dosage for the next eight or ten days.
The Pill regulated the length and flow of my periods to manageable levels, though it never helped much with the pain. I could also take it back to back to avoid periods altogether, which I did for eight months during my gap year.
I spent the next three years with clear skin and practically period free.
What wasn't to like? The weight-gain, for starters. I wasn't skinny in the first place, so the additional half stone was not welcome. On the upside, my boobs were bigger and if I ever needed to drop some weight quickly to squeeze into a certain outfit, I could just come off the Pill for a week or two.

Nearly all of my friends spent some time in their late teens and early 20s on the Pill. Ten years on, every one of us has a story to tell about our experience with the most popular contraception in the world.
Some hated it immediately, when they realised their sudden weeps and rages were Pill-induced. Others had difficulty conceiving when they came off it. Of those who realised the Pill had wiped out their sex drive, one friend moved from Microgynon to Dianette to Ovranette in search of her lost libido, only finally recovering it when she stopped taking the Pill altogether.
Another tried various brands including Ovranette and Triordinal, both of which, she remembers, 'killed' her sexual desire.
Several raced through three or four different brands of Pill, certain they would eventually find one which didn't wipe out their sex drive.
A friend who took Microgynon for three years from the age of 18 remembers that it sent her 'mental' each month. At the time she blamed it on the unsettled nature of university life.
Another started on Ovranette while at sixth-form college and noticed her usual pre-menstrual low-level moodswings escalate into angry, tearful tantrums.

Looking back, my first two years at university were far from calm. I attributed-this to the combined stresses of study, late nights out and far too many takeaways and alcopops. Bennett and Pope might well suggest that my irritable and dramatic behaviour at university was down to the Dianette.
Ultimately, I decided to come off it simply because I reasoned that it couldn't be good for you to pump fake hormones into your body every single day for the foreseeable future. I tried to stop twice. The first time was when I was 21 and moving to Spain, but my skin flared up almost immediately and I returned to the Dianette.
At 23 I managed a year off it, but then I moved to London and, once again, my skin became spotty, and vanity overruled my good intentions.
In the end I stopped taking Dianette for good in the summer of 2004. Five whole years later, I have just had three manageable, regular periods in a row for the first time since starting the Pill.

The first couple of years of infrequent periods passed without my noticing. I then started to wonder if I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which affects one in ten women and can, but doesn't necessarily, impact upon fertility.
A blood test ruled this out. It was then suggested to me I might suffer from hypothyroidism, a symptom of which is irregular periods. It turned out that this was the case, but whether the sluggish thyroid or the lack of periods came first, no one has been able to confirm.
Missing periods seemed like a small sacrifice for those years of smooth, clear skin. But now when I read about women being advised to take fertility 'MoTs' at 30, an age I am fast approaching, I worry that maybe I made the wrong choice after all. What if taking the Pill does affect your ability to conceive?
Bennett and Pope's analysis of the fallout of our addiction to the Pill is bleak. Probably most worrying are the various ways it can impact upon fertility. According to the book: ' Contraception methods based on the idea that your cycles and fertility are a problem, except when you want to conceive, are by definition not going to be fertility friendly.'

They also link the contraceptive to thrombosis, depression, liver function, weight gain, a loss of libido, migraines, DVT, brittle bones, pulmonary embolism and even compromising the health of your unborn baby, should you conceive shortly after stopping.
At present, the British Government is exploring alternatives to the Pill, including the jab and the implant, both of which use synthetic hormones to suppress fertility, just as the Pill does.
However, as they are introduced into your system semi-permanently, they are a more effective contraceptive than the Pill.
The jab is usually injected into a muscle in the bottom and lasts for 12 weeks. The implant is a small tube which is implanted into the upper arm and lasts for up to three years. The Pill is described as being 99 per cent effective, but only if taken correctly - missed Pills or illness can mean you aren't protected.
More than six women in 100 conceive in this way each year.

Although the jab and implant undoubtedly offer effective contraception, is there still a high price to pay for the women who take it?
One of the methods being trialled, which may be available on the NHS by next summer, is a self-injection called Depo-Provera, even though a significant risk of irreversible loss of bone density comes with its use.
So what are the alternatives? There are condoms and diaphragms, and a lower dose hormone treatment called the Nuva Ring, which many women prefer to the Pill.
Bennett and Pope encourage a return to natural methods - monitoring our cycles to find out when we're at our most fertile. That remains a risky business, though, if you can't deal with an unplanned pregnancy.
There is no perfect solution. But the Pill has been around for half a century: it's time we stopped thinking of it as the default contraceptive.

Absinthe
08-23-2009, 10:31 PM
the many side-effects shared by various brands of Pill - weight gain, irritability-depression, anxiety, anger, loss of sex drive, migraines

weight gain - check

irritability-depression - check

anxiety - check

anger - check

loss of sex drive - check

migraines - check

...but I thought all those were just because of *me*, the environment that I live in, and my painfully stressful, intense and unhealthy lifestyle, and not because of the pill? :o

Mrs Ulf
08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I did the pill for a few years. I stopped a long time ago for alot of reasons. When I got interested in my Herbalism career I felt like I shouldn't take them. I just read the side effects and thought I'd rather take the chance of getting pregnant. That might sound odd, but I'd rather be going through a normal female function then to load myself up with hormones with some awful side effects.

It especially worries me that were all starting to realize that taking hormones for Menopause is actually really bad for you, so isn't the pill along the same lines.

jerney
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd rather have a pill cause me a migraine every once in a while than have a child cause me one for 18 years.

Loki
08-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd rather have a pill cause me a migraine every once in a while than have a child cause me one for 18 years.

Depends how you raise the kid. ;)

jerney
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Depends how you raise the kid. ;)

I don't like any kids, even well behaved ones :wink

Atlas
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I endorse it - as I hate condoms.

Skandi
08-23-2009, 10:53 PM
I took the pill for about 3 years, it worked fine for me, no side effects at all. But I never remember to take the damn thing, as I don't have a fixed schedule. I would never have the injection or implant as you can't easily stop/remove it and I have a friend who has an implant and it has messed up her rhythum so much that she is now on the pill as well. There are many positive side effects of the Pill as well, it's often prescribed for severe acne and heavy and painful periods (why I had it) It also reduces the chance of ovarian cancer. Condoms are a ridiculous idea if you are in a relationship, I don't have that much room in my house! :p so that would leave an idu.

Frigga
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I just got off the Nuvaring, which is still hormonally based. Only one cycle so far that has been completely mine! It's wonderful being without it! :love:

There's also a lovely alternative to the pill for those who don't wish to have hormonal birth control. The cervical cap. It stays on for three days, and since it suctions directly to the surface of the cervix, there's no internal annoyances like with the diaphragm.

Ĉmeric
08-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I endorse it - as I hate condoms.There are other methods:

The cervical cap. It stays on for three days, and since it suctions directly to the surface of the cervix, there's no internal annoyances like with the diaphragm.

My wife uses an IUD. Very reliable. But no birth control is 100% certain. Except for abstinence & sterilization.:coffee:

Frigga
08-23-2009, 11:30 PM
There's a disadvantage with the IUD. It is able to cause scarring of the uterine wall, and possibly even pelvic inflammatory disease. When fertilization occurs, the blastocyst tries to find unscarred tissue to implant on. Many things could occur here. You could get placental previa, which is a low implanted placenta, sometimes it will cover the os, which is the opening of the cervix. Other times, you could get placental accreta, which is the placenta imbedding and invading the myometrium and being morbidly attached. This is potentially fatal in the third stage of delivery, ie birthing the placenta, as the uterus will want to, and have to shear off the placenta in order to clamp down and not bleed the mother out. With the placenta morbidly attached, the blood vessels stay open, and causes massive hemorrhage without medical intervention. Sometimes that means hysterectomy. Not that all women with the IUD have this problem, it's just that it's an added risk.

:)

Ĉmeric
08-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't like any kids, even well behaved ones :wink
In that case have you considered tubal ligation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal_ligation) or essure (http://www.essure.com/)?

Not that all women with the IUD have this problemThere are no guarantees, many women have problems with the pill.

jerney
08-24-2009, 12:33 AM
In that case have you considered tubal ligation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal_ligation) or essure (http://www.essure.com/)?

Yep, but not looking for anything quite so permanent yet.

I take proper precautions anyway, and even with the rare chance that they fail me, there are ways to remedy that. :)

Loki
08-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I take proper precautions anyway, and even with the rare chance that they fail me, there are ways to remedy that. :)

Indeed, this has come in handy a few times:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_01/levonelleAP0210_468x368.jpg

Skandi
08-24-2009, 03:14 AM
The rest of this OT discussion has been moved somewhere more fitting!
here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7421)

Tabiti
08-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Never thought of taking a pill that would change my body's natural functions.
Once got menstrual problems, got the proper herbs and everything was OK for two weeks without any side effects - the opposite. Usually herbs have wide area of effect and can fix other body systems in the same time, unlike medicines.

Emergency contraception is really harmful and should be taken only in the last resort. It influences all your hormonal levels and has plenty of side effects. Anyway, it is better than abortion if the idea of baby is impossible. In case if pregnancy occurs after taking emergency contraception (which happens) abortion is needed, because it damages the embryo.

Skandi
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
. In case if pregnancy occurs after taking emergency contraception (which happens) abortion is needed, because it damages the embryo.

The new morning after pill we have here does not do that apparently. but it is 98%effective within 12 hours droping to 58% after 48hours

Tabiti
08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
The new morning after pill we have here does not do that apparently. but it is 98%effective within 12 hours droping to 58% after 48hours
Here I know only about that one: http://escapelle.com/
Many complain they can't stop bleeding after taking it.
The problem is that teens tend to use that quite often, despite the price of over 15 euro.

Skandi
08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
The one I am refering too who's name I cannot remember does not bring on the next period, it is also only one pill rather than two. It's £25 but it's free from family planning clinics, GP's who do family planning and some chemists.

I think it may be this one levonelle (http://www.levonelle.co.uk/scripts/pages/Page69.php)

Tabiti
08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
The one I am refering too who's name I cannot remember does not bring on the next period, it is also only one pill rather than two.

I think it may be this one levonelle (http://www.levonelle.co.uk/scripts/pages/Page69.php)
It does not bring your next period, just can cause something like intermediate one. And it is only one pill as well. The older variants were in two pills form.

SwordoftheVistula
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
weight gain - check

irritability-depression - check

anxiety - check

anger - check

loss of sex drive - check

migraines - check

Huh, me too. The bastards must be sneaking birth control pills into either my daily 2 liter of Mt Dew or my daily 12 pack of beer.

Tolleson
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Huh, me too. The bastards must be sneaking birth control pills into either my daily 2 liter of Mt Dew or my daily 12 pack of beer.

Or both! :D

ikki
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
One strange effect i have noticed is that women on it, arent always quite there.
Rather someone happy and cheery 3 weeks a month, moody the last... then always being depressed.. which isnt getting any better from weighgain and thus further shyness and insecurity... and mentally absent on some level. Bubbliness, that seems to be entirely wiped out.

No dancing in the moonlight, just for the fun of it.. :(

But then, not exactly more wellknown examples than i have fingers on a hand either. So a bit early to draw too sharp conclusions.
But if studies support the same or similar concusions..

Sally
08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't take the pill nowadays, because I consider it to be an abortifacient. Any type of artificial contraception is a big no-no for me. Can't say I miss any of it at all, because I'm extremely moody and sensitive without chemicals! My hypothyroidism alone makes me enough of a basket case. ;)

Frigga
08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
One strange effect i have noticed is that women on it, arent always quite there.
Rather someone happy and cheery 3 weeks a month, moody the last... then always being depressed.. which isnt getting any better from weighgain and thus further shyness and insecurity... and mentally absent on some level. Bubbliness, that seems to be entirely wiped out.

No dancing in the moonlight, just for the fun of it.. :(

But then, not exactly more wellknown examples than i have fingers on a hand either. So a bit early to draw too sharp conclusions.
But if studies support the same or similar concusions..

Well, you are actually correct ikki. Elizabeth Davis in her book Women's Sexual Passages talks about how women on hormonal birth control are on a static level of hormones from day to day, and month to month. Their bodies do not create the hormones spontaneously and naturally to fit the situations that the woman is in. So, creativity does suffer, along with other things. That is actually very observant of you to notice that! :)