PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old rape victim to get 100 lashes

alb0zfinest
03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Sign the petition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/maldives_global/?fp
It's hard to believe, but a 15-year-old rape survivor has been sentenced to be whipped 100 times in public! Let's put an end to this lunacy by hitting the Maldives government where it hurts: the tourism industry.

The girl's stepfather is accused of raping her for years and murdering the baby she bore. Now the court says she must be flogged for “sex outside marriage” with a man who has not even been named! President Waheed of the Maldives is already feeling global pressure on this, and we can force him to save this girl and change the law to spare other victims this cruel fate. This is how we can end the War on Women – by standing up every time an outrage like this happens.

Tourism is the big earner for the Maldives elite, including government ministers. Let's build a million-strong petition to President Waheed this week, then threaten the islands' reputation through hard-hitting ads in travel magazines and online until he steps in to save her and abolish this outrageous law. Sign now and share this with everyone to get us to a million!

alfieb
03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
smh.

South Asian Muslims are batshit crazy.

alb0zfinest
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
smh.

South Asian Muslims are batshit crazy.

You are only figuring that out now? :D

alfieb
03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
No, just sad to see that they're just as bad as Saudis, if not worse.

evon
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
This seems quite contrary to functional Shari'a from history, so my guess is the judiciary is like so many other modern "Islamic" states dominated by idiots and self-righteous nuts...

xajapa
03-24-2013, 01:35 PM
This is just crazy. How can they come to this sort of conclusion?

alb0zfinest
03-24-2013, 01:36 PM
This seems quite contrary to functional Shari'a from history, so my guess is the judiciary is like so many other modern "Islamic" states dominated by idiots and self-righteous nuts...

What?? dude sharia was never functional. It's just that in the past, most of these stories weren't released to the public but thanks to the internet more of these cases have been exposed.

evon
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
What?? dude sharia was never functional. It's just that in the past, most of these stories weren't released to the public but thanks to the internet more of these cases have been exposed.

It has been a functional criminal court in the past (classical Islamic age), but it was a very short time and it was supplemented by Secular law of various kind, as Shari'a on its own is pretty useless, its near impossible to get a conviction if you use the Classical standards, hence why most people whom had real problems took it to the secular courts..While of course you also have horrid stories based on Shari'a, but these are not the classical style courts, and are subject to local rule, like Wahabi ideals in Saudi Arabia...

Virtuous
03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
:picard1:

alb0zfinest
03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
It has been a functional criminal court in the past (classical Islamic age), but it was a very short time and it was supplemented by Secular law of various kind, as Shari'a on its own is pretty useless, its near impossible to get a conviction if you use the Classical standards, hence why most people whom had real problems took it to the secular courts..While of course you also have horrid stories based on Shari'a, but these are not the classical style courts, and are subject to local rule, like Wahabi ideals in Saudi Arabia...

That's what i was talking about because if sharia had the same principles back then as it does now, then that isin't justice. And if it was supplemented by secular law of various kind as you say that that isin't sharia now is it.

evon
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
That's what i was talking about because if sharia had the same principles back then as it does now, then that isin't justice. And if it was supplemented by secular law of various kind as you say that that isin't sharia now is it.

I guess it depends on what you mean by now, are you referring to the thread case? if so i would not call it a classical style Shari'a, but a modern version perhaps yes. When i say supplemented by secular law i am referring to separate courts with totally different procedures ect, and most Islamic countries have mostly these secular courts dealing with criminal cases, while Shari'a cases usually handle Family matters and inheritance ect..

Xyresic
03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
This is an affront to all decent people who would like to see the perpetrators of sexual crimes face the strongest possible punishment.

Dr Afrasheem Ali, who was apparently a liberal minded Muslim scholar and member of parliament was brutally murdered less than half a year ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19826539

It seems as though some people want the retrogression of the Maldives into a self serving patriarchal society resembling parts of rural Afghanistan and Pakistan and it seems that they are getting away with it.

Based on some photos on the internet the islands that make up the Maldives look very beautiful, it would be a shame for this place to be ruined. The Maldives need a good dose of secularism and fast.