PDA

View Full Version : [SPLIT]Freedom of choice within one's professed faith

Loyalist
08-24-2009, 12:56 AM
...there are ways to remedy that. :)

What is the position of the Church on that?

Æmeric
08-24-2009, 01:01 AM
The same as its position on adult males having sex with underage boys.:eusa_naughty:

Unless the male in question is a priest.

Tolleson
08-24-2009, 01:05 AM

Here we go, again! :coffee:

jerney
08-24-2009, 01:18 AM

Considering I'm already having premarital sex with my boyfriend, do you think I care? :rolleyes:

Loyalist
08-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Considering I'm already having premarital sex with my boyfriend, do you think I care? :rolleyes:

Typical Catholic. :rolleyes:

Frigga
08-24-2009, 01:53 AM

Well, jerney is able to do what she wishes in her personal life now isn't she? And without a care in the world as to what you think, or even what I think for that matter.

Loyalist
08-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, jerney is able to do what she wishes in her personal life now isn't she? And without a care in the world as to what you think, or even what I think for that matter.

Of course she is, and no one said she isn't. But the hypocrisy of identifying as a Roman Catholic, while at the same time proudly flaunting one's participation in activities condemned by that religion, is worthy of note.

Frigga
08-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Hmm. I still think that there is no need to be judgemental about someone's personal decisions. If she does things that are against her religion that specifically affect her, then that is her concern, and not yours, and I think that it is silly to "make note of it".

Skandi
08-24-2009, 02:14 AM
I doubt anyone totally follows or believes their religion, there are way to many hypocritical and contradictory things in all religions.

Oh and let's please get back onto track and away from one members choices, thank you.

Aemma
08-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Of course she is, and no one said she isn't. But the hypocrisy of identifying as a Roman Catholic, while at the same time proudly flaunting one's participation in activities condemned by that religion, is worthy of note.

Yes but Loy, that's the problem with ALL organised religions dontcha know. The issue of hypocrisy isn't endemic to Roman Catholicism per se, but to all organised religions. :D

Loyalist
08-24-2009, 02:15 AM
Hmm. I still think that there is no need to be judgemental about someone's personal decisions. If she does things that are against her religion that specifically affect her, then that is her concern, and not yours, and I think that it is silly to "make note of it".

If she's airing her personal beliefs and values in public, then she's fair game for any type of judgement I or anyone else wishes to pass. As a Christian, I feel not only able, but obligated to intervene when some hypocrite openly mocks and violates principles which we're both supposed to abide by.

What confuses me is why you and a few others have involved yourselves in a matter which doesn't concern you. Drop the self-righteous privacy crusade and let jerney respond, if she wants to.

Æmeric
08-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Hmm. I still think that there is no need to be judgemental about someone's personal decisions.Why not? I don't mean this issue in particular. For instant I am judgemental about people engaged in miscegenatious relationships, especially Negro male - White female.

"TOLERANCE AND APATHY ARE THE LAST VIRTUES OF A DYING SOCIETY"

Aristotle, 4th century BC.

Apathy means not giving a damn. That's why so many people are tolerant of what use to be called vices & of the changing social norms. What other people thought has always had an important bearing in wider societal behavior.

Frigga
08-24-2009, 02:30 AM
If she's airing her personal beliefs and values in public, then she's fair game for any type of judgement I or anyone else wishes to pass. As a Christian, I feel not only able, but obligated to intervene when some hypocrite openly mocks and violates principles which we're both supposed to abide by.

Well, there is something called freedom of choice. If I were Christian, I would have the freedom to go against my religion if I felt the need to. Jerney has the right to do that if she so chooses. She also has the right to air whatever she wishes to about her own life. And she is perfectly capable of responding if she so chooses to. I was taking offense at you being a trifle high and mighty in your tone is all.

What confuses me is why you and a few others have involved yourselves in a matter which doesn't concern you. Drop the self-righteous privacy crusade and let jerney respond, if she wants to.

I'm not attempting to be self-righteous. I'm attempting to say that you don't have to be judgemental towards her. I try to not be judgemental towards others of my religious ilk who do not exemplify the best of my religion. We're all human, and we all make mistakes.

I'm not trying to have a crusade, but I do feel that maybe you should take care of yourself before you worry about what others are doing.

:)

Murphy
08-24-2009, 02:32 AM

I cannot help but agree with Loyalist, which is saying something ;)! The attitude of most Catholics today is quite frankly sickening. They completely ignore the teachings of the Church and support anti-Catholic and anti-Christian movements in general. Contraception and abortion at the top of the list! Then there are the heresies of modernism and false ecumenism!

Jerney, I hope you are aware that if you are using contraception, you are not allowed to partake in Holy Communion as you would be comitting sacrilege, and that before you can recieve Holy Communion again you need to see a priest for Confession!

Regards,
Eóin.

Æmeric
08-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Well, there is something called freedom of choice. If I were Christian, I would have the freedom to go against my religion if I felt the need to. Jerney has the right to do that if she so chooses. She also has the right to air whatever she wishes to about her own life. Yes.

But Loyalist also has the right to disapprove & to voice his disapproval. You seem to imply that the choice is either to agree with jerney or to keep his opinion to himself.:wink

Murphy
08-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Well, there is something called freedom of choice. If I were Christian, I would have the freedom to go against my religion if I felt the need to.

Jerney is at complete liberity to seperate herself from Christ. But as Christians we have a duty to charitably, but firmly, correct our brothers and sisters in their errors. If Jerney says she is a Catholic, but follows practices condemned by the Church, then I think she should be informed of the danger she is putting her and her partners soul in.

Regards,
Eóin.

Lady L
08-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Surely someone ;) can see what we have here?!?!

We have a new thread people, you know the question so someone ask it! :D

Thrym, Emeric ...Frigga! :wink

Nodens
08-24-2009, 02:46 AM

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. -Galatians 3:28

So why are you active on nationalist fora?

Frigga
08-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Yes.

But Loyalist also has the right to disapprove & to voice his disapproval. You seem to imply that the choice is either to agree with jerney or to keep his opinion to himself.:wink

Maybe that's how it sounded. But I also think that as well. I also didn't particulary care for the tone of his posts. I have the belief that you shouldn't judge someone for what they do in their personal life, but how they conduct themselves where we have contact with them, namely here on the forum. You are able to voice disapproval without sounding like you are superior in your own life.

:)

Lutiferre
08-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Galatians 3:28 is obviously about our relationship to God and soteriology, not temporal relationships between nations or genders, which it dictates nothing about. You will find that Paul discriminates other places between genders, and says explicitly that women are to be silent and cover their heads while in Church, while males may not cover their heads in Church. So Paul even instructs us that there is a discrimination between genders in temporal relations, and the same is obviously the case for nations.

Murphy
08-24-2009, 03:19 AM

This only means that God will judge us not by which nation we belong to, or what gender we are, but our own actions. It means our spiritual status isn't determined by our carnal status, as opposed to the Judaicist idea that only one race is predestined to enter Gods kingdom.

This verse mentions men and women, though these are equal in the sense that neither has priority in God's sight, the physical differences still remain. Men and women are not the same, though they have equal priority in the Kingdom of God. In the same way, Jews and Gentiles are not the same. The national difference remains. As an example Loyalist isn't going to be damned because he's a Brit but rather because he's a heretic ;):P! Therefore this verse should not be used to argue against the validity of separate nations which some have tried, and nor should it be used to try and bring false conflict between a nationalist and his faith.

Regards,
Eóin.

Turkophagos
08-24-2009, 03:25 AM

It's called lazy Christian.

May I assume that the faithful Protestant of yours keep your virginity until this day?

Nodens
08-24-2009, 03:43 AM
This only means that God will judge us not by which nation we belong to, or what gender we are, but our own actions. It means our spiritual status isn't determined by our carnal status, as opposed to the Judaicist idea that only one race is predestined to enter Gods kingdom.

This verse mentions men and women, though these are equal in the sense that neither has priority in God's sight, the physical differences still remain. Men and women are not the same, though they have equal priority in the Kingdom of God. In the same way, Jews and Gentiles are not the same. The national difference remains. As an example Loyalist isn't going to be damned because he's a Brit but rather because he's a heretic ;):P! Therefore this verse should not be used to argue against the validity of separate nations which some have tried, and nor should it be used to try and bring false conflict between a nationalist and his faith.

Regards,
Eóin.

Fair enough. I won't argue the point further, but if you consider pride a vice and humility a virtue, you are treading a very fine line indeed.

Aemma
08-24-2009, 03:51 AM
I cannot help but agree with Loyalist, which is saying something ;)! The attitude of most Catholics today is quite frankly sickening. They completely ignore the teachings of the Church and support anti-Catholic and anti-Christian movements in general. Contraception and abortion at the top of the list! Then there are the heresies of modernism and false ecumenism!

Jerney, I hope you are aware that if you are using contraception, you are not allowed to partake in Holy Communion as you would be comitting sacrilege, and that before you can recieve Holy Communion again you need to see a priest for Confession!

Regards,
Eóin.

Ahh but not necessarily true Eoin (sorry on a new computer and still don't have my accents at the ready). I only know and remember my Mass in French unfortunately but that bit that Roman Catholics recite before Holy Communion (in French: "Seigneur je ne suis pas digne de te recevoir mais dit seulement un mot et je serai gueri") is an act of pardon to God before receiving Holy Communion and does allow the person to receive Holy Communion with a clear conscience.

Electronic God-Man
08-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Ahh but not necessarily true Eoin (sorry on a new computer and still don't have my accents at the ready). I only know and remember my Mass in French unfortunately but that bit that Roman Catholics recite before Holy Communion (in French: "Seigneur je ne suis pas digne de te recevoir mais dit seulement un mot et je serai gueri") is an act of pardon to God before receiving Holy Communion and does allow the person to receive Holy Communion with a clear conscience.

Actually, I don't know about that. I've seen people (in my own family no less) turned away by the priest himself in line for Communion. The recital didn't pardon them. They had to go to confession first.

Aemma
08-24-2009, 04:00 AM
Actually, I don't know about that. I've seen people (in my own family no less) turned away by the priest himself in line for Communion. The recital didn't pardon them. They had to go to confession first.

Interesting! This isn't what I was taught in university in my studies, and I attended a secular though heavily-biased Roman Catholic university. Hmm regional differences might account for this possibly? Or perhaps French Canadian Catholics are a bit more, how shall I say, "creative" in their interpretation in terms of the recitations found in the Mass? :confused: :D

Electronic God-Man
08-24-2009, 04:03 AM
Hmm regional differences might account for this possibly? Or perhaps French Canadian Catholics are a bit more, how shall I say, "creative" in their interpretation in terms of the recitations found in the Mass? :confused: :D

Father Lawrence was a bit of a hard-ass. :D

Murphy
08-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Ahh but not necessarily true Eoin (sorry on a new computer and still don't have my accents at the ready).

Yea, I choose Eóin to be stubborn :D! I could have just went with John :p!

I only know and remember my Mass in French unfortunately but that bit that Roman Catholics recite before Holy Communion (in French: "Seigneur je ne suis pas digne de te recevoir mais dit seulement un mot et je serai gueri") is an act of pardon to God before receiving Holy Communion and does allow the person to receive Holy Communion with a clear conscience.

Are you reffering to The Confiteor or the Penitential Act as it is known in the Novus Ordo Missae? The Penitential Act remisses venial sins, not mortal sins. There is such a thing as a general absolution however. Though general absolution is rare and requires extreme circumstances and has certain stipulations!

Interesting! This isn't what I was taught in university in my studies, and I attended a secular though heavily-biased Roman Catholic university. Hmm regional differences might account for this possibly? Or perhaps French Canadian Catholics are a bit more, how shall I say, "creative" in their interpretation in terms of the recitations found in the Mass? :confused: :D

I think we can simply put it down to poor catechism. Which is sadly rather common in the world today :(!

Sounds like my kind of priest :D:cool:!

Regards,
Eóin.

08-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Yea, I choose Eóin to be stubborn :D! I could have just went with John :p!

Eóin.

I take it we are not intended to pronounce your username as E-oyn, then

Murphy
08-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I take it we are not intended to pronounce your username as E-oyn, then

Nope. It should be pronounced /OH-n/ baisically.

Regards,
Eóin.