PDA

View Full Version : North Korea puts rockets on standby to 'mercilessly strike' the U.S.

Loki
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
North Korea orders rockets on standby to hit US bases - state media (http://rt.com/news/north-korea-rockets-us-bases-021/)

Pyongyang has ordered rocket units be put on standby to fire on US bases in the South Pacific. “The time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists in view of the prevailing situation,” North Korean leader declared, according to state media.

It follows a US B-2 flyover of South Korea that saw dummy ammunition dropped as part of a joint military drill Thursday.

The North Korean leader and army marshal Kim Jong-un declared that “the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK would react to the US nuclear blackmail with a merciless nuclear attack, and war of aggression with an all-out war of justice,” according to KCNA.

The decree placing the Strategic Rocket Force on standby was signed following an urgent meeting of the military command early Friday morning, according to North Korean media. The plan suggests that ballistic rockets would be permanently targeted at American military installations in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, as well as those in South Korea.

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/kim.jpg

In the case of another US "wreckless provocation" like the B2 flyover, a North Korean propaganda release says, the Korean People's Army "should mercilessly strike the US mainland, their stronghold, their military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in south Korea."

Pyongyang also showed off the country’s military capabilities to its own citizens: On photos published in national newspaper Rodong, Kim Jong-un is signing a ready order at an emergency military meeting in what appears to be a military command room. In certain shots, a plan for a nuclear strike on the US mainland can be seen on a wall to the right of the North Korean leader.

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/kim-2.jpg

Experts agree that North Korean rockets are not capable of reaching the US mainland, though they probably could strike Alaska. Still, the plan in the North Korean command room shows that Pyongyang considers Los Angeles, Washington and even Austin to be possible targets.

For the time being, North Korea’s demonstration of its nuclear capabilities is apparently aimed at an internal audience; the response that Pyongyang has received from its citizens is one of unquestioning support.

Thousands gathered on Pyongyang’s main square to express support for the country’s leadership on the backdrop of the escalating tensions in the Korean Peninsula. The rally lasted for an hour and a half, in which demonstrators chanted “Death to the US imperialists,” and “Sweep away the US aggressors.”

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/korea.jpg

ALSh
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I doubt N.korea has the capacity and the balls, to attack first.

Loki
03-29-2013, 08:48 PM
I doubt N.korea has the capacity and the balls, to attack first.

You never know, this new leader might be a madman.

Loki
03-29-2013, 08:50 PM
North Korea has the largest amount of highly trained special forces in the world. I think something like 90,000.

ALSh
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
If a nuclear war starts, the infantry in not a factor any more. US has the largest nuclear arsenal with thousand of nukes, while N.Korea is estimated to have no more than 10 of them.

US would transform N.Korea in a desert area for more than 10.000 years.

Loki
03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
If a nuclear war starts, the infantry in not a factor any more. US has the largest nuclear arsenal with thousand of nukes, while N.Korea is estimated to have no more than 10 of them.

US would transform N.Korea in an desert area for more than 10.000 years.

Of course, but nobody wants nuclear war, even if they would win.

Another thing is that China and North Korea have a mutual-defense treaty. So if North Korea is invaded China would help - but China would not assist NK in overseas missions, or if it wants to attack SK.

ALSh
03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Another thing is that China and North Korea have a mutual-defense treaty. So if North Korea is invaded China would help - but China would not assist NK in overseas missions, or if it wants to attack SK.

That's why US hesitate to attack NK, simply that fears that China would be involved, and the situation would go from control and became global.

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 09:09 PM

That would wreck China's reputation, no one would side with NK, not even them.

But anyway, it's all just a bluff, do you really think it makes sense to tell your enemies "HELLO MISTER, WE GOT MISSLES POINTED AT YOUR BASES, OKAY?"

Loki
03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
That would wreck China's reputation, no one would side with NK, not even them.

But anyway, it's all just a bluff, do you really think it makes sense to tell your enemies "HELLO MISTER, WE GOT MISSLES POINTED AT YOUR BASES, OKAY?"

Things can very easily get out of control. Officially the two countries are still at war, they never had a peace treaty.

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 09:14 PM

US would transform N.Korea in an desert area for more than 10.000 years.

I doubt Russia, China, South Korea or even Japan would sit and watch America transform that region into a desert...

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Things can very easily get out of control. Officially the two countries are still at war, they never had a peace treaty.

Yes, but in practice they have been at peace for decades. NK leadership might be a tad bonkers, but not enough to iniciate an assault on SK, or throwing missiles at the US - that would be the end of the regime.

Loki
03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes, but in practice they have been at peace for decades. NK leadership might be a tad bonkers, but not enough to iniciate an assault on SK, or throwing missiles at the US - that would be the end of the regime.

Well let's hope so.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 09:42 PM
I doubt Russia, China, South Korea or even Japan would sit and watch America transform that region into a desert...

Japan, yes. It fears N. Korea and Koreans in general more then wide eyed devils from the west.

Russia and China would probably have much butt hurt over this though since the former receives a fair share of slave labor on its Siberian lumber yards from NK and China would loose a cheap source of minerals that are mined for its various industries.

S. Koreans would almost certainly have butt hurt over this based on racial/ethnic grounds not to mention proximity to it all though I doubt they'd want to come under any type of regime like NK's.

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Well let's hope so.

Yes, the upside is that lives will be spared..the downside is that millions of people will still live in the Dark Ages, with "a boot stamping on their faces - forever".

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Japan, yes. It fears N. Korea and Koreans in general more then wide eyed devils from the west.

Russia and China would probably have much butt hurt over this though since the former receives a fair share of slave labor on its Siberian lumber yards from NK and China would loose a cheap source of minerals that are mined for its various industries.

S. Koreans would almost certainly have butt hurt over this based on racial/ethnic grounds not to mention proximity to it all though I doubt they'd want to come under any type of regime like NK's.

I don't think you got what i was saying. A nuclear attack on North Korea would mean a nuclear attack on nearby regions as well due to the small size of North Korea. And North Korea's neighbours are:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/North_Korea_launch_site_in_Sea_of_Japan_map.png

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't think you got what i was saying. A nuclear attack on North Korea would mean a nuclear attack on nearby regions as well due to the small size of North Korea. And North Korea's neighbours are:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/North_Korea_launch_site_in_Sea_of_Japan_map.png

I don't see how you were even remotely implying that from your original post but anyway...

Japan is essentially defended by the US and quite honestly they know that fatso and company have no love loss for them. So I don't see at all how nuking NK would bother Japan and if its nuclear fall out you're worried about, well the Japanese have lived with it to varying degrees already.

Russia wouldn't be happy but its not like they're hurt for space. Only thing that would really bother them is what I stated previously. There really is no ideological connection to Russia and NK anymore whatsoever.

China would really be the only country to give a significant damn about a nuclear strike against Korea (regardless of nuclear fall out concerns) but they too are a tad tiresome of the regime and don't have much in common with them ideologically anymore either.

Tyfani
03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
North Korea has the largest amount of highly trained special forces in the world. I think something like 90,000.

+they are asians :) i think they act like machines :p

Loki
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
+they are asians :) i think they act like machines :p

My impression as well :P

kabeiros
03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
North Koreans are fuckin' lunatics. I once watched a documentary about North Korea and there was a protest against the visit of some forreigner (politician, maybe South Korean but I'm not sure)... this crazy dudes cut their fingers, put them in envelopes and sent them to the government to show their anger

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 10:30 PM
By the way, it's worth noting that NK would be fighting an army of generals, SK are the absolutely best SC2 players in the world! Any random SK private is possibly better than any NK general at strategy xD

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't see how you were even remotely implying that from your original post but anyway...

Geography was obvious enough. But it's ok, i know about the problems that americans have with geography :p

Japan is essentially defended by the US and quite honestly they know that fatso and company have no love loss for them. So I don't see at all how nuking NK would bother Japan and if its nuclear fall out you're worried about, well the Japanese have lived with it to varying degrees already.

Russia wouldn't be happy but its not like they're hurt for space. Only thing that would really bother them is what I stated previously. There really is no ideological connection to Russia and NK anymore whatsoever.

China would really be the only country to give a significant damn about a nuclear strike against Korea (regardless of nuclear fall out concerns) but they too are a tad tiresome of the regime and don't have much in common with them ideologically anymore either.

So you're basically saying it's ok to nuke North Korea, and Japan wouldn't be bothered by it because they have been hit before and "know all about it", Russia is too big to bother and China doesn't like North Korea's regime and would approve of a nuclear attack at their doorstep? Ok.

Loki
03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcSaCr5idSEnEZZ5zYUDHQXLxmZOm0a izIkv4Ps0SAglS--1yk

http://endthelie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/North-Korean-military-parade.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01362/north-korea_1362611c.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXNrD4kESuHlR1pnCG43XK5S7mbNu53 cCDKZRyM5Wc0BP7TIXjzA

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/north-korea-centennial8.jpg

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/28/4149420/1_aw-North-Korea-s-Korean-People-s-Army-soldiers-20130328225523261019-620x349.jpg

ALSh
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Loki don't be impresed by the size of weapons. Mostly of them are obsolete outdated soviet equipment.
These are the same weapons iraqi used unsuccesfuly.

Loki
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Loki don't be impresed by the size of weapons. Mostly of them are obsolete outdated soviet equipment.
These are the same weapons iraqi used unsuccesfuly.

Not the same ... North Korea has developed its own missiles.

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM

Not so sure that's a good thing xD

ALSh
03-29-2013, 10:57 PM

They are short to medium range, not long range that can hit US.

Loki
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
They are short to medium range, not long range that can hit US.

They can hit American bases in the Pacific, including Hawaii. And in South Korea, Japan. Tens of thousands of US military are stationed there.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Geography was obvious enough. But it's ok, i know about the problems that americans have with geography :p

Pft. Please. Your initial remark had nothing to do with geography or any real point. The education is apparently poor from Portugal so no need on your part to portray like you know something here.

So you're basically saying it's ok to nuke North Korea...

Nope and no need to even try and put words in my mouth here skippy.:)

Japan wouldn't be bothered by it because they have been hit before and "know all about it"..

Actually if you really knew something of the geopolitical situation over there then you'd understand why its no skin off the Japs backs.

Russia is too big to bother

Not my point at all. Nice try again though skippy.:)

China doesn't like North Korea's regime and would approve of a nuclear attack at their doorstep? Ok.

Wrong. China would actually care the most about this. However relations between the two countries are strained and no one in the region is too happy about NK always trying to escalate war with its neighbors.

The point is really none of these countries like NK that much or are remotely tied to them ideologically as you think they are. China would be the only obligated to assist in some form of retaliation but that's due to the agreement they have with NK and not much else. So :p

ALSh
03-29-2013, 11:01 PM
They can hit American bases in the Pacific, including Hawaii. And in South Korea, Japan. Tens of thousands of US military are stationed there.

True, but i was talking about mainland :p

Loki
03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
True, but i was talking about mainland :p

They said Los Angeles was in range, so who knows ... apparently they have paraded a large missile which hasn't been seen before. But it's not tested yet.

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 11:07 PM
The education is apparently poor from Portugal so no need on your part to portray like you know something here.

You just crossed a threshold, do not talk about things you do not know about.

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Pft. Please. Your initial remark had nothing to do with geography or any real point. The education is apparently poor from Portugal so no need on your part to portray like you know something here.

Nope and no need to even try and put words in my mouth here skippy.:)

Actually if you really knew something of the geopolitical situation over there then you'd understand why its no skin off the Japs backs.

Not my point at all. Nice try again though skippy.:)

Wrong. China would actually care the most about this. However relations between the two countries are strained and no one in the region is too happy about NK always trying to escalate war with its neighbors.

The point is really none of these countries like NK that much or are remotely tied to them ideologically as you think they are. China would be the only obligated to assist in some form of retaliation but that's due to the agreement they have with NK and not much else. So :p

It's not my fault that you were dumb enough to not get my first post. Go ask the people who thanked my post, perhaps they understood what i was saying there without having to explain why those specific countries would be bothered by a nuclear strike.

As for the rest, this was what you said. If your semantics are different from everyone else's then i'm not bothered to continue this discussion.

Now go fuck yourself, you and skippy.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
You just crossed a threshold, do not talk about things you do not know about.

Ha! Please. As if such were really sacred ground. I could say the same thing of certain western Euro's trying to understand NK's relationships to its neighbors but I'm not into making lame remarks like that. Also here's a meme for you:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/137/d/c/watch_out__we_got_a_badass_over_here_by_deadwoodpe te83-d504d72.jpg

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
You better go take a xanax or something, you're too hyped.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 11:19 PM
It's not my fault that you were dumb enough to not get my first post. Go ask the people who thanked my post, perhaps they understood what i was saying there without having to explain why those specific countries would be bothered by a nuclear strike.

How lame is that. "go ask others who thanked my post". Yeah, apparently "thanks" given on a forum validates what someone says as ultimate truth/reasoning.

As for the rest, this was what you said. If your semantics are different from everyone else's then i'm not bothered to continue this discussion.

Excellent, you finally realize you have no real point.:)

Now go fuck yourself, you and skippy.

Yup precisely the type of low brow remark I'd expect from uneducated scum.:icon_yes:

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
How lame is that. "go ask others who thanked my post". Yeah, apparently "thanks" given on a forum validates what someone says as ultimate truth/reasoning.

Excellent, you finally realize you have no real point.:)

This is beyond stupid. You inability to grasp a simple concept that the countries around North Korea would be bothered by a strike now means the education is poor in Portugal or that i have no point. Why else would i mention those specific countries?

http://www.earth.columbia.edu/sitefiles/image/press_room/press_releases/2009/2009-topo-map-revised_1000px.jpg

I'm sorry that i wasn't more obvious in my first post. But next time i will be because you never know... people like you might be reading.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
I am beyond stupid. I mean seriously, why am I even bothering trying to convince VS that I know jack about the geopolitical situation of east Asia? Instead I will waste his and everyone else's time by trying to make this strictly about geography and try to present myself as somehow the reasonable one here in a desperate attempt to save face.

fixed.

Damiăo de Góis
03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
fixed.

You are a fucking moron. Luckily your stupidity is saved on the posts here for everyone to see, unless you go and edit them too.

Vasconcelos
03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
You do know that insulting a mod is a bannable offense? Oh well, knock yourself out.

Vesuvian Sky
03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm a fucking moron with much butt hurt over nothing here. Luckily my stupidity is saved on the posts here for everyone to see, unless I go and edit them too.

fixed.:yawn:

Leliana
03-30-2013, 01:36 AM
Uhm, there's a lot of thick air in here. :rolleyes: Something to smile and calm down:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/284/589/b54.jpg

http://s4.cdn.memeburn.com/wp-content/uploads/North-Korea-Rocket-Fail.jpg

http://apeshits.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/tumblr_lwiucrpdtf1qz581wo1_1280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Apathanatismos/KimJongUn.jpg

MissProvocateur
03-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Attacking the U.S. would be so incredibly idiotic that I would no longer think Kim-Jong Un is insane. Just plain stupid.

Perhaps both.

It's never a good idea to wake up the sleeping giant...

Graham
03-30-2013, 01:49 AM
A war in Korea would Fuck up trade, in the surrounding seas & have a knock on effect, on us all. So I hope nothing esculates.

Gauthier
03-30-2013, 01:53 AM

Do you think the Chinese are that moronic? Going to war with their largest trading partners would kill their economy very quick.

North Korea is just another Iran, they are doing this just for show.

NK would get pounded with Tomahawk missiles day and night. Their military infrastructure would be gone in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llRQyvZCeVc

Vasconcelos
03-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Uhm, there's a lot of thick air in here. :rolleyes: Something to smile and calm down:

I like you very much.

Loki
03-30-2013, 01:59 AM
NK would get pounded with Tomahawk missiles day and night. Their military infrastructure would be gone in no time.

Seoul is right on the border. NK can annihilate the city in a first strike and invasion, but they won't retain it. But such a move could be disastrous and cost millions of lives.

Incal
03-30-2013, 05:37 AM
NK's equipment is prehistoric. I'd be surprised if their rockets even reach the sea.

sevruk
03-30-2013, 06:01 AM
North Koreans are amazing, least something interesting in this dreary world

Arbërori
03-30-2013, 06:18 AM
I wish Korea was closer to Turkey... :lol: Joke guys, don't report me. :P

Anyways, I just loled at Leliana's pics, so epic! Other than that, crazy Japs these Koreans are. :laugh:

Scholarios
03-30-2013, 06:28 AM
guess what guys: if you have a severe disadvantage militarily (astronomical disadvantage actually, like North Korea) then you don't tell anyone or make announcements about your plans to attack. Your only advantage would be secrecy.

This is a stale propaganda exercise intended for external consumption.

Scholarios
03-30-2013, 06:32 AM
They said Los Angeles was in range, so who knows ... apparently they have paraded a large missile which hasn't been seen before. But it's not tested yet.

Almost certainly not, Loki:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/59119000/jpg/_59119706_north_korea_ranges_2.jpg

Anything's possible, but as I said, if you are North Korea and you have only one advantage- surprise. and you have at best 1 or 2 working missiles.. you do not alert South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. that you are going to launch. That's just asking for them to "end the party in Pyongyang"

rhiannon
03-30-2013, 07:03 AM
North Korea orders rockets on standby to hit US bases - state media (http://rt.com/news/north-korea-rockets-us-bases-021/)

Pyongyang has ordered rocket units be put on standby to fire on US bases in the South Pacific. “The time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists in view of the prevailing situation,” North Korean leader declared, according to state media.

It follows a US B-2 flyover of South Korea that saw dummy ammunition dropped as part of a joint military drill Thursday.

The North Korean leader and army marshal Kim Jong-un declared that “the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK would react to the US nuclear blackmail with a merciless nuclear attack, and war of aggression with an all-out war of justice,” according to KCNA.

The decree placing the Strategic Rocket Force on standby was signed following an urgent meeting of the military command early Friday morning, according to North Korean media. The plan suggests that ballistic rockets would be permanently targeted at American military installations in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, as well as those in South Korea.

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/kim.jpg

In the case of another US "wreckless provocation" like the B2 flyover, a North Korean propaganda release says, the Korean People's Army "should mercilessly strike the US mainland, their stronghold, their military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in south Korea."

Pyongyang also showed off the country’s military capabilities to its own citizens: On photos published in national newspaper Rodong, Kim Jong-un is signing a ready order at an emergency military meeting in what appears to be a military command room. In certain shots, a plan for a nuclear strike on the US mainland can be seen on a wall to the right of the North Korean leader.

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/kim-2.jpg

Experts agree that North Korean rockets are not capable of reaching the US mainland, though they probably could strike Alaska. Still, the plan in the North Korean command room shows that Pyongyang considers Los Angeles, Washington and even Austin to be possible targets.

For the time being, North Korea’s demonstration of its nuclear capabilities is apparently aimed at an internal audience; the response that Pyongyang has received from its citizens is one of unquestioning support.

Thousands gathered on Pyongyang’s main square to express support for the country’s leadership on the backdrop of the escalating tensions in the Korean Peninsula. The rally lasted for an hour and a half, in which demonstrators chanted “Death to the US imperialists,” and “Sweep away the US aggressors.”

http://rt.com/files/news/1e/85/d0/00/korea.jpg

Yeeeikes.
That puts my happy ass and that of my family of origin, right in the line of fire. Washington is mentioned.
Damn, where's a bunker when you need one?

I guess there's not much point to freaking out over it, though. If I'm gonna get incinerated by a nuke in death, that might explain all those nuke dreams I've had over the years lol

Scholarios
03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
The absolute only hope North Korea has is a "dirty bomb" style delivery. If that hasn't happened yet, it isn't any more likely to happen now.

rhiannon

US would transform N.Korea in a desert area for more than 10.000 years.Nukes can't happen in a vacuum, though. Any counterstrike of this intensity would bring far-reaching consequences for much of that region....not just N. Korea.

Arbërori
Yeeeikes.
That puts my happy ass and that of my family of origin, right in the line of fire. Washington is mentioned.
Damn, where's a bunker when you need one?

I guess there's not much point to freaking out over it, though. If I'm gonna get incinerated by a nuke in death, that might explain all those nuke dreams I've had over the years lol

You can borrow a bunker at www.borrowabunkerfromalbania.com, we've got plenty of them. :lol:

Oh the joys of communism & cement.

rhiannon
03-30-2013, 07:12 AM
True, but i was talking about mainland :pLos Angeles is on the mainland and is also the second largest city in the country. It is THE geographically largest metropolitan area, though. Nuking LA would be tantamount to a major catastrophe for this country.

My entire family would also die.

Philo
03-30-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't belive the North Korean leader is that stupid.

Lemon Kush
03-30-2013, 07:33 AM
North-Korea doesn't have the balls to attack us. Have they seen what we've done to Japan, Bosnia, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan?!?! Exactly..

The same will happen to them if they attack us so they better watch their shit. Plus the allies the of the U.S. are much more powerful than the ones of North Korea (Great Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Turkey, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, etc...)

All NATO members...

Arbërori
03-30-2013, 07:34 AM
You probably mean Serbia, not Bosnia. :lol:

Leliana
03-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Uhm, funnily enough there was a Hollywood movie named 'Red Dawn' last year, a remake of a movie from the 80's. In the remake North Korea invades the United States in a surprise attack.

I think that Kim Jong-Un is a fan of the movie and watches it every night before he goes to bed! :lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoe7BdGdlg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/24/article-0-162F7D7C000005DC-226_634x417.jpg

Loki
03-30-2013, 02:39 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/24/article-0-162F7D7C000005DC-226_634x417.jpg

^^ We can only wish for this to happen ;)

Loki
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
The Unha-3 rocket, with which North Korea recently successfully put a satellite into orbit, can easily reach the US mainland, and large centres like Los Angeles, San Francisco etc:

http://i50.tinypic.com/30c3tjd.jpg

Loki
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
North Korea enters 'state of war' with South (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21979127)

North Korea has said it is entering a "state of war" with South Korea in the latest escalation of rhetoric against its neighbour and the US.

A statement promised "stern physical actions" against "any provocative act".

North Korea has threatened attacks almost daily since it was sanctioned for a third nuclear test in February.

However, few think the North would risk full-blown conflict. It has technically been at war with the South since 1953 as no peace treaty has been signed.

An armistice at the end of the Korean War was never turned into a full treaty.

A North Korean statement released on Saturday said: "From this time on, the North-South relations will be entering the state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly.

"The long-standing situation of the Korean peninsula being neither at peace nor at war is finally over."

Scholarios
03-31-2013, 01:20 AM
The Unha-3 rocket, with which North Korea recently successfully put a satellite into orbit, can easily reach the US mainland, and large centres like Los Angeles, San Francisco etc:

http://i50.tinypic.com/30c3tjd.jpg

Loki, you kind of ignore reality here . You think after so many attempts to get a rocket off the ground they can send a fleet of rockets to LA? They'll send one rocket with 90% chance of crashing in Philippine Sea and US, SK, or Japan will intercept it. There is a better and more successful chance for almost anything else than a missile attack against North America. People watched too much Michael Bay films.

Even attacking Japan would be like Hamas launchings at Tel Aviv- and would end with a regime-ending assault that even China would be powerless to stop.

This is a propaganda exercise to save face and keep the status quo of negotiation, escalation, rapprochement, and over again. The main danger is an accident pushing it out of control..

Loki
03-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Loki, you kind of ignore reality here . You think after so many attempts to get a rocket off the ground they can send a fleet of rockets to LA?

Well, they have successfully put a satellite into orbit with that rocket ... so they have the technology. Whether they will mass-produce it to be used as a missile remains to be seen, anyone's guess. But the possibility remains. It would definitely be something they would want to achieve methinks.

Herr Abubu
03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
North Korea is doing all of this for future negotiations. They're playing hard to get, basically. Something positive might come out of this.

Loki
03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Even attacking Japan would be like Hamas launchings at Tel Aviv- and would end with a regime-ending assault that even China would be powerless to stop.

North Korea is not Iraq or Afghanistan ... a land invasion of North Korea would mean a major war ... even worse than the previous Korean War, and rivalled only by WW2.

arcticwolf
03-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Yawn. Silly gook clown. Another yawn.

Graham
03-31-2013, 01:35 AM
On the ground, it would be like fighting Japan or Vietnam. Messy buisness.

Tomorr
03-31-2013, 01:41 AM
It's sounds to me like North Korea is begging to be invaded and liberated. The dumb fucks are threatening with nuclear war :picard2: Though they might destroy some of cities, but truly they must realize that they will get annihilated and turn their entire pathetic country into ash. I think it's just their yearly show, trying to keep hold of power and keep the people in check.

Loki
03-31-2013, 01:43 AM
From this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/22/world/asia/north-korea-five-things/index.html

And while Washington hasn't come out and said it, Lewis said the March 15 announcement that the Pentagon will deploy additional ground-based missile interceptors on the West Coast may signal that the North Koreans have deployed a long-range missile they put on display at a parade in 2012. Lewis said the announcement was "mostly for show," but could reflect real U.S. concerns about those missiles.

"If you're going to spend $1 billion to deploy interceptors, they ought to come right out and say it," he said.

Scholarios
03-31-2013, 02:09 AM
North Korea is not Iraq or Afghanistan ... a land invasion of North Korea would mean a major war ... even worse than the previous Korean War, and rivalled only by WW2.

I still think It'd be over in a month, the worst part would be the massive amount of civilians killed in Seoul. But even North Koreans want Tong-Il (Unification), they are just looking for a face-saving way to hand sovereignty to the South. A land invasion of the North would be carried about by South Korea, it just depends on the circumstances of such an invasion whether it was long and bloody or the North goes out with a whimper.

Vasconcelos
03-31-2013, 02:26 AM
I heard that NK only has enough fuel reserves to wage a war for a month, don't know how reliable the source is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Scholarios
03-31-2013, 05:42 AM
I heard that NK only has enough fuel reserves to wage a war for a month, don't know how reliable the source is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

probably about correct. Of course, they could do a lot of damage in a month. On the other hand, North Koreans are doing damage in the South constantly now, running amok, without a formal declaration of war.

rashka
03-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Well it's true what they say- that US are aggressors. They are provokers. It's so obvious from the Western media (also a provoker), America is itching to fight with them.

Scholarios
03-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Well it's true what they say- that US are aggressors. It's so obvious from the Western media America is itching to fight with them.

Some individual Americans may be very "gung-ho" about the prospect, but I know many guys including officers in the Yongsan and Osan Garrison here, and no one wants a war. The goal is wear NK down to force regime change or slow incorporation of them within Republic of Korea.

No one wants a showdown with China, U.S. troops and Chinese troops looking in each others' eyes at Yalu River again.. regardless of the results.

Vasconcelos
03-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Well it's true what they say- that US are aggressors. They are provokers. It's so obvious from the Western media (also a provoker), America is itching to fight with them.

Is it? I must have imagined the decades of NK provocation and their "declaration of war".

Loki
03-31-2013, 03:25 PM
probably about correct. Of course, they could do a lot of damage in a month. On the other hand, North Koreans are doing damage in the South constantly now, running amok, without a formal declaration of war.

In a month they could kill millions of people - and a ground invasion of North Korea would not be childs-play. I doubt the Americans would want to get their hands so dirty, they've forgotten what total war is. Iraq was too easy. Afghanistan is still unconquered - the Taliban is alive and well.

o__o
03-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Lol at those chinks, let alone Nuclear weapons...
USA have might have some weapons that can destroy NK in 1 day, i hope they aren't that stupid to enter in a war with USA, actually anyone who is in war with USA is destined to lose.

Loki
03-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Lol at those chinks, let alone Nuclear weapons...
USA have might have some weapons that can destroy NK in 1 day, i hope they aren't that stupid to enter in a war with USA, actually anyone who is in war with USA is destined to lose.

Yes but it's more complicated than that. Imagine the bad press the USA will get if they nuke another Asian country (Japan was the first of course, and only). The Chinese will hate them for that as well.

ALSh
03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
and a ground invasion of North Korea would not be childs-play. I doubt the Americans would want to get their hands so dirty

That's why i said previously, that if a war starts, US would use Nukes.

Loki
03-31-2013, 04:21 PM

I'm not sure about that. I think it will be conventional at least for the first while. Why? Because if the US strikes NK with nuclear, NK will definitely retaliate in kind, perhaps hitting Japan as well.

ALSh
03-31-2013, 04:29 PM
In case of war, NK would definitly use Nukes, which would lead in use of US too.

Vasconcelos
03-31-2013, 09:25 PM

Don't be silly, it won't happen unless NK uses them first.

Jackson
03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't trust entirely in the sanity of this man, who rules over a brainwashed people decimated by their own kin. It would be suicide for North Korea to start a war directly with the USA, and very foolish for them to start one with South Korea. If he is sane, then he knows this and is just flexing his muscles, if he is not sane then he is ensuring the downfall of his own precious country, and it probably wouldn't be a pretty one either.

Loki
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Under threat, South Koreans mull nuclear weapons (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/18/world/asia/south-korea-nuclear/index.html?iid=article_sidebar)

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- The barrage of threats from North Korea has sparked talk from within South Korea of the need to develop its own nuclear weapons.

A recent poll shows that two-thirds of South Korean citizens surveyed support the idea, especially in the wake of North Korea's third nuclear test in February.

"We, the Korean people, have been duped by North Korea for the last 20 to 30 years and it is now time for South Koreans to face the reality and do something that we need to do," said Chung Mong-joon, a lawmaker in the governing Saenuri (New Frontier) Party and a former presidential conservative candiate. "The nuclear deterrence can be the only answer. We have to have nuclear capability."

The talk of South Korea arming with its own nuclear weapon used to be taboo in the country-- and there's no apparent official government move to do so. But the tensions between the two Korean nations have amplified over the weeks, becoming reminiscent of the Cold War.

Vasconcelos
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Can't blame them for thinking that.

Scholarios
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
South Korea tried to develop nuclear weapons since The 60's under President Park Chunghee. They were always stopped by the U.S. It wouldn't be good for the alliance. However, after unification they will gain the North's nuclear program- to which Japan has said they will develop their own to counter Korea.

Oneeye
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't trust entirely in the sanity of this man, who rules over a brainwashed people decimated by their own kin. It would be suicide for North Korea to start a war directly with the USA, and very foolish for them to start one with South Korea. If he is sane, then he knows this and is just flexing his muscles, if he is not sane then he is ensuring the downfall of his own precious country, and it probably wouldn't be a pretty one either.

Right, because they would still be fighting the USA... we have a Mutual Defense Treaty with South Korea.

North Korea has become a liability for China.

Jackson
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Right, because they would still be fighting the USA... we have a Mutual Defense Treaty with South Korea.

That is precisely why i said it would be foolish for them to start a war (well start an actual war, rather than be in a state of war) with South Korea.

Vasconcelos
04-01-2013, 11:55 PM

NK is to China like that "friend" of yours who's always getting himself into trouble nearly dragging you with it, eventhough you did nothing. Doubt China would be allies with them if they knew how lunatic the NK leadership would get.

In fact, if it is indeed NK that starts the whole mess by firing first, I'm pretty sure China would just sit and watch without actively taking part on the mess. No nation on Earth actually supports NK, with perhaps the exception of Iran.

Jackson
04-01-2013, 11:55 PM
NK is to China like that "friend" of yours who's always getting himself into trouble nearly dragging you with it, eventhough you did nothing. Doubt China would be allies with them if they knew how lunatic the NK leadership would get.

In fact, if it is indeed NK that starts the whole mess by firing first, I'm pretty sure China would just sit and watch without actively taking part on the mess.

One would think, and hope.

Scholarios
04-02-2013, 12:36 AM
http://japanfocus.org/-scott-bruce/3630

For those interested in some interesting historical background, it's worth noting that the South (as I said before) technically began its nuclear program in the 1970's when the U.S. considered abandoning its ally for perceived human rights abuses and the lifetime presidency of General Park.

According to the report, in late 1974, Park Chung Hee authorized a program to develop nuclear weapons technology with a view to developing a long-term nuclear option, but, in January 1976, to reduce friction in its alliance with the United States, he ended negotiations with France to obtain reprocessing technology,5 and in December 1976, under immense US pressure, he suspended the whole nuclear weapons program (this much was well known at the time and has been documented by many scholars). What is less well known is that this proliferation activity continued after 1976.

Hong attributes Park’s interest in nuclear weapons to his concern that the Nixon Doctrine would lead the United States to abandon South Korea in spite of its contribution to the Vietnam war effort, especially after the United States withdrew in disarray from Vietnam—at which time the ROK’s leverage from sending troops to Vietnam would evaporate.

Historians ascribe Park Chung Hee’s drive to reduce military dependence on the United States to a combination of historical trends and events. The first and most potent was deep tensions on the peninsula in the wake of North Korean incursions on the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) in 1968, culminating in a commando raid on the Blue House in January 1968, followed three days later on January 23 by the North Korean seizure of the USS Pueblo, leading to a year-long negotiation for the release of its crew. These events generated the impression that the United States was weak-kneed in dealing with North Korean aggression. The second was the promulgation of the Nixon Doctrine in 1969. Nixon and Kissinger’s direct dealings with China without prior consultation with South Korea left Park wondering if they would also open dialogue with the North behind the South’s back. The North Korean attack on a US EC-121 spy-plane in international airspace occurred against the backdrop of these trends, leading Nixon to make preparations for massive retaliation against North Korea, including nuclear attack. But ultimately, he took no military action.

The third factor for Park was the unilateral withdrawal of the US 7th Infantry Division in 1971, and on-going discussions in Washington and political pressure from Congress for further withdrawals. Another consideration was the discovery of North Korean infiltration tunnels under the DMZ in 1974-75. Park also witnessed the murder of his wife by a pro-North Korean assassin in 1974. Even as Saigon fell in April 1975, American politicians and journalists increased their criticism of Park’s regime after his Yushin constitutional amendment in 1972 that institutionalized his authoritarian rule. Park declared a state of emergency under which human rights were systematically violated. His sense of abandonment by the United States at a time of heightened vulnerability to North Korean political and military offensives combined with his isolation from American civil society led Park to seek ways to become more independent from the American military. This was Jaju Gukbang, self-reliant national defense.

Thus, the CIA analysts noted in their Strategic Decisionmaking report that South Korea’s confidence in the US commitment to defend it with nuclear weapons had declined—a fear reinforced by President Jimmy Carter’s order on January 26, 1977 to withdraw nuclear weapons from the ROK along with the 2nd infantry division. Although ultimately halting work developing nuclear weapons capability, South Korean nuclear researchers believed that “even while bowing to US preferences on the line of work they pursue, certain activities can and should be undertaken to keep Seoul’s nuclear option open.”9 These included high explosives and surface-surface missile technology. The missile program was undertaken to acquire a weapon that could threaten Pyongyang in the same way that the North could threaten Seoul with artillery and FROG missiles while long-term nuclear fuel cycle technology was sought to keep the bomb option open.