PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many black people have my surname? :D

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I just cannot understand it. Some of them are quite famous. One of them is even a angry supermodel!

I suppose I should feel flattered that so many of them chose my surname. :D

The question that I have is why SO many? :confused:;)

Vulpix
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Is your surname Campbell :D?

Absinthe
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Given the literal meaning of your last name, it's no wonder why they do...remnants of the past, I guess! :D

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Given the literal meaning of your last name, it's no wonder why they do...remnants of the past, I guess! :D

No, that is not my real surname. I was adopted.

The real surname is indeed Campbell.

Actually, I find it quite annoying that they have my surname.

F****** c***s! (Four door saloons!) :mad:

(Haha remnants LOL just got it)

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Looks like we created a monster:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01002/sol_campbell101ap_1002123c.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1094091/Football-fans-chanted-racist-song-Sol-Campbell-include-policeman.html

Well, I am not sure... he looks a handsome fellow. I almost feel almost paternal about it... :rolleyes:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/campersDM0304_468x647.jpg

...but that is no cotton-picking use to man nor beast...

Loyalist
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
It could be worse, particularly if you were related to this man:

http://i36.tinypic.com/25z4j2d.jpg

;)

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
:eek:

SO wrong.

SwordoftheVistula
12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I would guess that the reason is that a large number of Campbells served in the British colonial forces in the 18th century (as many Scots did), and then they adopted these names.

Likewise, many blacks in the US adopted names of English plantation owners: Thomas, Jackson, Anderson, James, Smith, etc.

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I would guess that the reason is that a large number of Campbells served in the British colonial forces in the 18th century (as many Scots did), and then they adopted these names.

Likewise, many blacks in the US adopted names of English plantation owners: Thomas, Jackson, Anderson, James, Smith, etc.

Do you mean to suggest that one of mine totally owned one of theirs?

Do you know how it feels to be aped in this way? :)

It is embarrassing, not because of why they are called 'Campbell', but because there are so many of the f***ers, walking about with MY NAME, which DOES NOT belong to them, behaving and looking like... well... what can I say...

Everytime I read of hear or read of another one with my surname, I just die inside.

Oresai
12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
A Campbell?!! A CAMPBELL!!! :eek:

That`s fighting talk, mister..... :p :ner-ner0::fencing:
(I`m a MacDonnell/MacDonald you see)

But I`ll let ye off, seeing as you`re no` a bad laddie....:D

Æmeric
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
There are certain names that are common among Negroes, having to do with wealthy slave owning families or slaves taking names of famous indivivuals at the end of the Civil War. For example all of the Negroes named Jackson, Jefferson & Washington. I'd say just over 1/2 of all the Jacksons I've met have been Negro. I've never met a White Washington but it is common among Negroes. Ditto for Jefferson. I've actually have met a Negro with my surname (:eek:), not surprising since it is most common in a belt running from Virginia to Mississippi - a few persons with my surname were among the earlist settlers of Virginia & apparently owned a lot of slaves.

Most Negroes in the US have English or Celtic names, sometimes French. In recent years some of them have been taking African or Muslim names.

Surprisingly there are very few Negroes named Lincoln. I have never met a Negro named Lincoln, the only Lincolns (White) I know of personally are the descendents of my great-grandmother's niece who married a Lincoln, incidently those cousins are also distant kin to Abe, Abe's boyhood home being not far from here.

Edit: Williams & Wilson are 2 other names that seem to be disproportionately Negro. And Campbell (:D) & Ferguson.

SwordoftheVistula
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
There are certain names that are common among Negroes, having to do with wealthy slave owning families or slaves taking names of famous indivivuals at the end of the Civil War. For example all of the Negroes named Jackson, Jefferson & Washington. I'd say just over 1/2 of all the Jacksons I've met have been Negro. I've never met a White Washington but it is common among Negroes. Ditto for Jefferson. I've actually have met a Negro with my surname (:eek:), not surprising since it is most common in a belt running from Virginia to Mississippi - a few persons with my surname were among the earlist settlers of Virginia & apparently owned a lot of slaves.

Most Negroes in the US have English or Celtic names, sometimes French. In recent years some of them have been taking African or Muslim names.

Surprisingly there are very few Negroes named Lincoln. I have never met a Negro named Lincoln, the only Lincolns (White) I know of personally are the descendents of my great-grandmother's niece who married a Lincoln, incidently those cousins are also distant kin to Abe, Abe's boyhood home being not far from here.

Edit: Williams & Wilson are 2 other names that seem to be disproportionately Negro. And Campbell (:D) & Ferguson.

Lincoln I guess was not a common name amongst southern slave owners. It is often used as a first name by blacks, a number are even named 'Lincoln Kennedy'

Æmeric
12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
But I think the reason Jackson, Jefferson & Washington are so common among Negroes is not because of the number of slaves owned by persons with those surnames (though that is probably the reason in a few cases) but because of ex-slaves taking surnames of prominent Americans at the end of the Civil War. Which is why the omission of Lincoln among Negroes is so glaring, especially considering that Andrew, Thomas & George were all slaveholders.;)

There have been schools named for Washington & Jefferson that had name changes because of their namesakes slaveholding status. I wonder if any US Negroes have considered changing their last names for the same reason?

SwordoftheVistula
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
That could be.

Perhaps since Lincoln was still alive his name wasn't as 'prestigious' as a historical figure. Come to think of it, I've never seen a black named 'Sherman' or 'Grant' either, whereas many are named 'Davis' and 'Lee'.

Fortis in Arduis
12-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I just h8 em.

Psychonaut
12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
The Campbells that my wife's father is descended from were most definitely slavers. They owned thousands of acres throughout North and South Carolina and owned many hundreds of slaves.

Beorn
12-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Bad news for you. My partner is unfortunately friends with a half-caste with your adopted surname.

I do feel for you as we named our daughter Rheanna.

A few months later this 'thing' (http://www.femme-en-ville.com/blog/images/potins/rihanna.jpg) comes out with her début single and every baby with so much as a tan is called it, too.

:mad:

Fortis in Arduis
12-13-2008, 02:58 AM
Bad news for you. My partner is unfortunately friends with a half-caste with your adopted surname.

I do feel for you as we named our daughter Rheanna.

A few months later this 'thing' (http://www.femme-en-ville.com/blog/images/potins/rihanna.jpg) comes out with her début single and every baby with so much as a tan is called it, too.

:mad:

I am also irritated by the whole world speaking English.

Oh, the sweet smell of success. :mad:

Can you not moderate Rheanna to Rhiannon or something similar? :wink

Campbell is not my adopted surname, but my real surname.

SouthernBoy
12-13-2008, 04:36 AM
I know the feeling. My teachers used to tell me I have a black name. ;)

Beorn
12-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I Can you not moderate Rheanna to Rhiannon or something similar? :wink

I could do, but why should I?

What exacerbates the situation further is even her friends parents whilst writing out birthday or Christmas cards write her name as 'Rihanna'.

You even get some idiots asking if you named her after the singer. :eek:

"NO! I have taste, and a sense, of culture".

Fortis in Arduis
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I could do, but why should I?

What exacerbates the situation further is even her friends parents whilst writing out birthday or Christmas cards write her name as 'Rihanna'.

You even get some idiots asking if you named her after the singer. :eek:

"NO! I have taste, and a sense, of culture".

The problem identified here is trash culture and racial foreigners.

Davros is displeased:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/5013/davros.jpg