PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama: 'Work still to be done in Northern Ireland'

Baluarte
03-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Barack Obama: 'Work still to be done in Northern Ireland'

US President Barack Obama has said urgent work is still needed in the peace process in Northern Ireland

In a statement, ahead of the 15th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, he said people and political parties had to work together to build trust.

He said America would continue to be a friend and partner in the process.

The April 1998 agreement was signed after nearly two years of political talks.

In a statement, President Obama said: "As Easter approaches, we mark the 15th anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

"The people of Northern Ireland and their leaders have travelled a great distance over the past 15 years.

"Step by step, they have traded bullets for ballots, destruction and division for dialogue and institutions, and pointed the way toward a shared future for all.

"There is urgent work still to be done - and there will be more tests to come.

"There are still those few who prefer to look backward rather than forward - who prefer to inspire hate rather than hope.

"The many who have brought Northern Ireland this far must keep rejecting their call."

Mr Obama said "every citizen and every political party" needed to work together in service of "true and lasting peace and prosperity".

He said the United States would be there as a friend and partner "at every step of the way".

"That is the message I will carry with me when I visit Northern Ireland and attend the G-8 Summit in June," he added.

"On behalf of the American people, I salute the people and leaders of Northern Ireland and the model they have given to others struggling toward peace and reconciliation around the world.

"I pledge our continued support for their efforts to build a strong society, a vibrant economy, and an enduring peace.

Eddie Quist
04-20-2013, 06:50 PM
The only work needed to be done is for occupied Ireland to be immediately reabsorbed into the Republic, Britain to compensate Ireland with some €250 billion for this and to resettle in Britain any Orange cunt who wants to stay British.

Albion
04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
The only work needed to be done is for occupied Ireland to be immediately reabsorbed into the Republic, Britain to compensate Ireland with some €250 billion for this and to resettle in Britain any Orange cunt who wants to stay British.

Most people in England, Scotland and Wales would be glad to see NI part of the republic. As for compensation, send the request to Edinburgh, Unionists that shout the loudest are all of Scottish origins.

rhiannon
04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I love the UK/Ireland. This cannot be helped as it is my most significant ancestral homeland.

However, in regards to the troubles in Northern Ireland....

My own sympathies have always lied with the Catholics in this struggle for independence. Eire should be her own.

Loki
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Northern Ireland is the best Ireland. Papism is poison.

Go Orange!! :thumb001:

rhiannon
04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Northern Ireland is the best Ireland. Papism is poison.

Go Orange!! :thumb001:

But you're not Protestant either, rather you're an atheist, so why side with the Protestants? I choose the Catholics because they are simply fighting to retain their independence as a country apart from Britain. Ireland shouldn't have to abide the British Monarchy if she has no wish to.

If living in a Protestant country is that important, there are three other countries in the UK to choose from:)

Baluarte
04-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Free Ireland indeed.

Albion
04-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I love the UK/Ireland. This cannot be helped as it is my most significant ancestral homeland.

However, in regards to the troubles in Northern Ireland....

My own sympathies have always lied with the Catholics in this struggle for independence. Eire should be her own.

Yes, this is the typical American view. It is however, naive. The Protestants have been there for 300 years and include some native Irish in their ancestry, they can't exactly be ignored.
As for the Catholic Irish, people have this romantic picture in their head that they are pure Celts descended from Iron Age tribes, which is not the case. The Irish absorbed various waves of English, Scottish and Norse settlers, the first republicans were also Protestant, not Catholics which came latter to the movement.

It would be preferable if Ireland were indeed united, perhaps with NI being autonomous still, but within the republic and not the UK. But for most purposes it already is separate from the UK - services in Ireland tend to be cross-border or exclusive to NI and separate from the rest of the UK. It has a large degree of autonomy and power-sharing with Dublin, much of Westminster's legislation specifically excludes NI.

Loki
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
But you're not Protestant either, rather you're an atheist, so why side with the Protestants? I choose the Catholics because they are simply fighting to retain their independence as a country apart from Britain. Ireland shouldn't have to abide the British Monarchy if she has no wish to.

If living in a Protestant country is that important, there are three other countries in the UK to choose from:)

Protestant by culture/heritage :)

rhiannon
04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes, this is the typical American view. It is however, naive. The Protestants have been there for 300 years and include some native Irish in their ancestry, they can't exactly be ignored.
As for the Catholic Irish, people have this romantic picture in their head that they are pure Celts descended from Iron Age tribes, which is not the case. The Irish absorbed various waves of English, Scottish and Norse settlers, the first republicans were also Protestant, not Catholics which came latter to the movement.

It would be preferable if Ireland were indeed united, perhaps with NI being autonomous still, but within the republic and not the UK. But for most purposes it already is separate from the UK - services in Ireland tend to be cross-border or exclusive to NI and separate from the rest of the UK. It has a large degree of autonomy and power-sharing with Dublin, much of Westminster's legislation specifically excludes NI.

Thank you for this reply. Albion....and for not taking offense to my post. It is hard for me to choose loyalties to any one nation over there, because they are all part of my family tree. I grew up in the 1980s when U2 was super huge and doing all those songs about the troubles. I first learned about them largely because of my initial interest in the band and its history. There used to be a lot of violence in NI, although it seems to have dissipated some in recent years.

I hate to see one group subjugated by another for whatever reason. In Ireland and Northern Ireland, the Catholics have historically been the underdogs, and yet, most Irish are still Catholic by majority. It is a complicated situation I guess :(

Baluarte
04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Brits x.x.....

rhiannon
04-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Protestant by culture/heritage :)Fair enough.

Albion
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM

He's trolling you. The Dutch played a role in securing Protestant domination over Ireland, especially under William of Orange. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamite_War_in_Ireland)That is where the orange symbolism with the Protestant unionists comes from.
William of Orange was invited to invade England in a coup to overthrow the Catholic monarch. It was in his interests to secure England and the Isles as a protestant ally against aggressive, Catholic Spain which was the superpower of the time and threatening both.

The Lawspeaker
04-21-2013, 10:06 PM
He's trolling you. The Dutch played a role in securing Protestant domination over Ireland, especially under William of Orange. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamite_War_in_Ireland)That is where the orange symbolism with the Protestant unionists comes from.
William of Orange was invited to invade England in a coup to overthrow the Catholic monarch. It was in his interests to secure England and the Isles as a protestant ally against aggressive, Catholic Spain which was the superpower of the time and threatening both.
Not Spain. France. Spain was by then already just another annoying third rate power. A bit like France today.

rhiannon
04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Fuck lol....I feel like this should be common knowledge, but honestly, I don't think they teach this shit in our schools. Americans are really good at some things, and really BAD at others....among them being world history. Our schools are very Americentric.

Albion
04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Brits x.x.....

What?

Graham
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM

We're like a trillion pounds in debt haha. We couldnae afford a fish supper.

Albion
04-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Fuck lol....I feel like this should be common knowledge, but honestly, I don't think they teach this shit in our schools. Americans are really good at some things, and really BAD at others....among them being world history. Our schools are very Americentric.

It's taught in schools here, I guess most people have some sort of knowledge on the issue (but not as much as they should). Everyone likes an underdog, Americans identify with Catholic Irish because of their own struggle for independence from Britain. Despite America looking more like the British Empire reincarnate by the day, Americans still have this whole rebel thing in their national identity that means they sympathize with other such rebels.

Schools can't teach everything, although more British & Irish history would be a good thing since many Americans have at least some ancestry from somewhere in the Isles.

Graham
04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
For any American, remember that many of Northern Irish Protestant backgrounds, were fighters in Americas independence.

Scots from the Borders especially, & English there in fact. Moved over in the first place, they were in severe poverty.

Some American Presidents, are decedents from those folk.

Albion
04-21-2013, 10:22 PM
We're like a trillion pounds in debt haha. We couldnae afford a fish supper.

It's not like it has to be paid back at once. The economy is something like $2.5 trillion with the loans being largely long term - 20 years, 50 years or more. So long as Keynesians in the Labour Party don't get to run the economy again, we should be all right (avoid adding too much new debt to what is already there).
Our debt was highest as a percentage during the Napoleonic wars (war debts + financing the allies) and during the American revolution.

NI should really be Scotland's problem anyway, it pisses me off how this is seen as an English problem. They're your colonists, the Irish are your supposed brothers. Let Edinburgh take responsibility for NI.

Albion
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
For any American, remember that many of Northern Irish Protestant backgrounds, were fighters in Americas independence.

Scots from the Borders especially, & English there in fact. Moved over in the first place, they were in severe poverty.

Some American Presidents, are decedents from those folk.

And that just decades ago, Catholic Irish were looked down upon in America. It seems latter generations forgot history and forgot which "Irish" they were descended from.

Graham
04-21-2013, 10:27 PM
We have a history with Ulster to Donegal that predates the Colonists. I'd rather Ireland was United & Scotland independent. If any of the Norn Irish wish to come over they can after this.

btw Anyone notice how Scottish Rory McIlroy sounds? lol

Svipdag
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Whatever work remains to be done in Northern Ireland is none of our (USA's) DAMNED business. Let's see if, FOR ONCE we can mind our own business and refrain from meddling in the internal affairs of other countries.

"That we are to stand by the President right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

The Lawspeaker
04-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Whatever work remains to be done in Northern Ireland is none of our (USA's) DAMNED business. Let's see if, FOR ONCE we can mind our own business and refrain from meddling in the internal affairs of other countries.

"That we are to stand by the President right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt
Hear hear !

rhiannon
04-22-2013, 12:28 AM
And that just decades ago, Catholic Irish were looked down upon in America. It seems latter generations forgot history and forgot which "Irish" they were descended from.I know about this history. It's one reason Irish Americans now eat corned beef and cabbage during their St Paddy's celebrations...as compared to their proper Irish counterparts in Ireland who eat cabbage with bacon rather than corned beef. The Irish were looked down upon for eating pork, initially.

Eddie Quist
04-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Most people in England, Scotland and Wales would be glad to see NI part of the republic.
The IRA and INLA saw to that already we defeated you.

As for compensation, send the request to Edinburgh, Unionists that shout the loudest are all of Scottish origins.
Lowland Scots and Ulster Plantation are from English stock, bill London.

The Lawspeaker
04-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Only in your imagination. If the British would take their gloves off they would wipe the whole of Ireland into the North Sea in less than two days. They just can't be arsed to do so.

I think the name "Scots" says that they are Scottish.. not English.

Graham
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

It's not as black/white as this.. That is more of a South East thing. Eastern Borders to East Lothian..

Many Scots that live in the Lowlands now, have ancestry from North of Glasgow-Edinburgh.. Scots migrated inwards into the Strathclyde area, like the Irish from around 18th, 19th, early 20th century..

Another reason Scots moved over the Irish Sea, was in fact because of the 'ill years' 1690s. A famine that killed at least 1/10th of our Population. One of the reasons, in why we joined the UK.

A bunch of Scots migrants escaping famine, who weren't accepted by the native Irish. Moved over the sea again to America.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0748638873.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056466915_.jpg

The very same Rich Scottish land owners, also shafted their own people.

Albion
04-22-2013, 08:26 PM

NI is still in the UK, the power-sharing only exists because London agrees to it.

Not really, the Lowland Scots have spoken Cumbric, Galloway Gaelic and finally Scots, they're not really English accept in Lothian and the Scottish borders. Your pathetic country won't get a penny out of London, we've already given you loans and aid when your banks collapsed.

Albion
04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Only in your imagination. If the British would take their gloves off they would wipe the whole of Ireland into the North Sea in less than two days. They just can't be arsed to do so.

I think the name "Scots" says that they are Scottish.. not English.

I don't think we'd be popular if we invaded Ireland again, but it wouldn't exactly be hard to surround with a navy, nuke or simply roll in the tanks. Actually, probably just walking into Ireland from Belfast would work.

The Lawspeaker
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't think we'd be popular if we invaded Ireland again, but it wouldn't exactly be hard to surround with a navy, nuke or simply roll in the tanks. Actually, probably just walking into Ireland from Belfast would work.
It's not Ireland has an army to stop you. Militarily speaking they are MUCH weaker than we were in 1940 vs the Germans. A bit like Denmark during the 1940 invasion. The Brits would be in Dublin.. hell Waterford and Cork.. before lunch if they were to start after breakfast. And popularity ? It's not like Britain is so exceedingly popular in Europe at the moment anyway.

Well.. it's not that I'd advise you people to do it but it wouldn't be a very difficult exercise. Let's compare the Irish Defence Forces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Forces_(Ireland)) to the Her Majesty's Armed Forces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_armed_forces) and nothing more needs to be said.

Albion
04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
It's not Ireland has an army to stop you. Militarily speaking they are MUCH weaker than we were in 1940 vs the Germans. A bit like Denmark during the 1940 invasion. The Brits would be in Dublin.. hell Waterford and Cork.. before lunch if they were to start after breakfast.

It'd probably be easier than the Falklands anyway. The guerilla warfare would last for decades though, because the Irish are like that.

And popularity ? It's not like Britain is so exceedingly popular in Europe at the moment anyway.

In reality though, we'd probably get told off by the UN, America, China and Russia. It'd be another Suez Crisis. Whenever America starts minding its own business, it'd be possible then.

Well.. it's not that I'd advise you people to do it but it wouldn't be a very difficult exercise. Let's compare the Irish Defence Forces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Forces_(Ireland)) to the Her Majesty's Armed Forces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_armed_forces) and nothing more needs to be said.

Ireland relies on the fact that England sees the Isles as its back yard and would prevent any external threats reaching Ireland. Scotland, Wales and Ireland have been protected from outside invasions by England throughout their history, this is why England is their only perceived enemy since it's the only country that could repeatedly invade them.
France tried to help Welsh and Irish rebels and Scotland but ultimately was defeated by England each time. France created its own worst enemy in England in the Norman conquest and the resulting militarization and expansionism of England. Germanic England had stopped at roughly the modern borders and had little interest in the rest of the Isles beyond tribute.

Xyresic
04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
If living in a Protestant country is that important, there are three other countries in the UK to choose from:)Maybe because they've been living in Northern Ireland / Ireland for a long time. It is their homeland. Why should they have to leave their homeland because some nationalist Republican Irish or 'romanticists' from the USA or from traditionally Catholic countries have other thoughts.

Albion
04-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Maybe because they've been living in Northern Ireland / Ireland for a long time. It is their homeland. Why should they have to leave their homeland because some nationalist Republican Irish or 'romanticists' from the USA or from traditionally Catholic countries have other thoughts.

Yes, it's about as good as telling Euro and African Americans to fuck off back to the Old World. Maybe Unionists need to inform Americans of this, most Unionists have ancestries older in Ulster than Americans in the New World.
Whilst Americans came from an entirely different continent, the ancestors of the Unionists came from a mere fraction of the distance. On a clear day you could probably stand in Antrim and wave at someone in Kintyre, and the links are ancient.

Graham
04-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Most Unionists have ancestries older in Ulster than Americans in the New World.

That is actually a good point. Never think of it in that context. Why can't they just be nice to each other? lol

Old Scots Comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8bhcNi4oQ

rhiannon
04-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Maybe because they've been living in Northern Ireland / Ireland for a long time. It is their homeland. Why should they have to leave their homeland because some nationalist Republican Irish or 'romanticists' from the USA or from traditionally Catholic countries have other thoughts.
There is no reason either for Ireland to be run by Protestants when most Irish are still Catholic. I believe most Irish wish Northern Ireland and Ireland proper to be united?

I personally don't think anyone should have to leave as long as everyone can get along. That hasn't historically been the case, though.

rhiannon
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Yes, it's about as good as telling Euro and African Americans to fuck off back to the Old World. Maybe Unionists need to inform Americans of this, most Unionists have ancestries older in Ulster than Americans in the New World.
Whilst Americans came from an entirely different continent, the ancestors of the Unionists came from a mere fraction of the distance. On a clear day you could probably stand in Antrim and wave at someone in Kintyre, and the links are ancient.Native Americans certainly have the right to feel that way about us Old Stock types. I cannot blame them either. Of course the logistics of fucking off back to the Old World would be rather complicated lol

Albion
04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
There is no reason either for Ireland to be run by Protestants when most Irish are still Catholic. I believe most Irish wish Northern Ireland and Ireland proper to be united?

I personally don't think anyone should have to leave as long as everyone can get along. That hasn't historically been the case, though.

Protestants are content with Northern Ireland, the boundaries could be better though - some areas of western NI could be handed to the republic if the Protestants didn't object (they would though).
The best solution is for the two sides to co-operate and eventually realize that they're not so different and to unite the country. Won't happen for a good 50 years yet though.

rhiannon
04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Protestants are content with Northern Ireland, the boundaries could be better though - some areas of western NI could be handed to the republic if the Protestants didn't object (they would though).
The best solution is for the two sides to co-operate and eventually realize that they're not so different and to unite the country. Won't happen for a good 50 years yet though.I agree with this. My own family tree includes Irish Catholic and Irish Protestant lol, which may explain why many Americans are conflicted about these sorts of ethnoreligious squabbles. How can we choose sides, really, when so much of who we are is an amalgam of so many other groups?

It would be nice if both sides could make amends of their own volition.

Eddie Quist
04-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Fuck off, the Iranians stood Britain down when they captured those 15 Marines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Iranian_seizure_of_Royal_Navy_personnel), Britain only got them back when Iran let them go and then the Iranians stormed the UK embassy, even America didnt bother to help, showed the World what has beens you are.

And how will Britain wipe out Ireland in 2 days when their Army is being cut to 80,000 and its navy to 25,000, to a point where they are considering selling one of the unbuilt carriers to India (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/16/royal-navy-aircraft-carrier-sale), you cant afford a military anymore. Laughing Stock-Has beens

Vasconcelos
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Fuck off, the Iranians stood Britain down when they captured those 15 Marines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Iranian_seizure_of_Royal_Navy_personnel), Britain only got them back when Iran let them go and then the Iranians stormed the UK embassy, even America didnt bother to help, showed the World what has beens you are.

And how will Britain wipe out Ireland in 2 days when their Army is being cut to 80,000 and its navy to 25,000, to a point where they are considering selling one of the unbuilt carriers to India (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/16/royal-navy-aircraft-carrier-sale), you cant afford a military anymore. Laughing Stock-Has beens
You're talking to a Dutchman, not a Brit.

The Lawspeaker
04-23-2013, 11:00 AM

80.000 vs less then 9000. I know who is going to win that round. ;)

RussiaPrussia
04-23-2013, 11:02 AM
see british thats what you get for being so supportive to America, they still fuck you up in the end. Its americas divide and conquer strategy as usual, they would be glad if any big country in europe would break up into pieces.

Baluarte
04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
You're talking to a Dutchman, not a Brit.

Is there really that much of a difference? :rolleyes:

The Lawspeaker
04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Is there really that much of a difference? :rolleyes:
Surely you can't be that ignorant ?

Eddie Quist
04-24-2013, 06:24 AM
80.000 vs less then 9000. I know who is going to win that round. ;)
Half-Arsed again, at the peak of occupation Britain had 25,700 Army and the 10,000 in the RUC trying to control 450,000 native Irish who
were defended by 500 IRA and INLA soldiers. It will be an Irish victory.

Eddie Quist
04-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Is there really that much of a difference? :rolleyes:True that where the English came from Holland same linguistics, even that Wanker King William of Orange was Dutch. Exactly the same people.

The Lawspeaker
04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Half-Arsed again, at the peak of occupation Britain had 25,700 Army and the 10,000 in the RUC trying to control 450,000 native Irish who
The British didn't go all-out. In a real war the Irish would lose big time.

True that where the English came from Holland same linguistics, even that Wanker King William of Orange was Dutch. Exactly the same people.
But in the meanwhile you're living off Dutch and British hand-outs because you simply can't run a country.

Eddie Quist
04-24-2013, 06:35 PM
You mean lose big time embarrassingly like when Germany over ran Holland in 2 hours? Or like when the Japanese sunk the entire Dutch Navy in the Java Sea and over ran the Dutch Empire without a fight? No we aint like you wooden foots, it took Cromwell months to conquer Ireland and then it was only partial. It would be the same today, however Britain is a weaker economically and militarily any invasion couldnt be sustained.

But in the meanwhile you're living off Dutch and British hand-outs because you simply can't run a country.Celtic Ireland does fine running its own country, since independence our economy has become stronger by our own work. Ireland and Irish culture is globally famous unlike yours of Tulips and clogs. As for hand outs you mean bailouts of Germanic bankers, as with Spain and Italy, Ireland has realized that being a member of the EU is now a vice which crushes countries and its all run from Frankfurt.

Graham
04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
How is William of Orange, regarded in Netherlands? He wasn't seen positively in Scotland, it was a bad time in our History. Particularly for Jacobites. The reason why most of us hate the Orange walks.

Baluarte
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Surely you can't be that ignorant ?

Nobody is saying you're the same, yet you stand for the same things.

That's why the French consider you for all political purposes "continental Brits".

Baluarte
04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
How is William of Orange, regarded in Netherlands? He wasn't seen positively in Scotland, it was a bad time in our History. Particularly for Jacobites. The reason why most of us hate the Orange walks.

It's such a pity for Jacobites....the French and Spanish tried to help them but the amount of English traitors coupled with Dutch and Jewish money made it impossible.

Louis XIV forever hated William III, one other reason for which he was one of the best French monarchs.

Albion
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Fuck off, the Iranians stood Britain down when they captured those 15 Marines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Iranian_seizure_of_Royal_Navy_personnel), Britain only got them back when Iran let them go

Because Britain didn't want to start a war over 15 captured marines. Better to just bite your tongue than start a major conflict, don't you think? :picard2:

and then the Iranians stormed the UK embassy, even America didnt bother to help, showed the World what has beens you are.

Actually, it had the opposite effect. The Iranians that stormed the embassy were Arabistan nationalists (probably supported by Saddam). Arabistan is a Arab region of Iran, many there hate being part of Iran because Arabs and Iranians don't really like each other. They took hostages in London to force Iran to open negotiations to give Arabistan independence - they did this in London because the world would notice. You wouldn't get the same reaction in Dublin.
Anyway, Iran refused and so the UK went in and took them out. Iran itself was not to blame, and why would America send help to an embassy siege? :picard2: You again know nothing of the issue.

And how will Britain wipe out Ireland in 2 days when their Army is being cut to 80,000 and its navy to 25,000,

Look up world military rankings, Britain always makes the top ten, usually the top 5. Numbers aren't everything, superior training of the British military counts for a lot.

to a point where they are considering selling one of the unbuilt carriers to India (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/16/royal-navy-aircraft-carrier-sale), you cant afford a military anymore. Laughing Stock-Has beens

India approached the last Labour government, they were refused. India usually buys Britain's old military equipment, it has been buying second hand since independence. Now that it is strongger though, it wants new equipment and came to Britain because our carriers are good.
Laughing stock has beens? Better to have lived one day as a lion than a 100 years as a lamb (the latter describing Ireland rather well). There are only 2 superpowers in the world at present - America and China. After them come the 8 great powers - influential, powerful countries but not on the same level as America or China. Britain is high in that list.

Albion
04-25-2013, 02:40 PM
see british thats what you get for being so supportive to America, they still fuck you up in the end. Its americas divide and conquer strategy as usual, they would be glad if any big country in europe would break up into pieces.

They helped break up the British Empire, but I think they regretted not taking Churchill up on his idea to unite the British Empire and USA once the Soviet Union became a major competitor.

It wasn't an Irish victory. The British soldiers were obvious, the IRA were hiding all over the place and had support from the republican Irish. So essentially the British were easy targets, but the IRA weren't because they were disguised as civilians. If the IRA had to faced the British without their disguises and hiding, then obviously there'd have been a lot less of them, if any left.
Could the Irish military actually defeat Britain? No. Did the IRA actually dislodge the Unionists or their paramilitaries? No.

True that where the English came from Holland same linguistics, even that Wanker King William of Orange was Dutch. Exactly the same people.

The English are a combination of the Celtic inhabitants of England with the Anglo-Saxons (from the Netherlands and Germany) and Vikings (from Denmark and Norway) - both Germanic peoples.
We have similarities with the Dutch but are distinct peoples.

Exactly. The British military was there to keep the IRA from taking over, not to drive out republicans or conquer Ireland. Essentially it was a defensive force, not offensive.

You mean lose big time embarrassingly like when Germany over ran Holland in 2 hours? Or like when the Japanese sunk the entire Dutch Navy in the Java Sea and over ran the Dutch Empire without a fight?

The German and Japanese forces were numerous and very well armed, defeat was inevitable. Could Ireland do any better, the country that's been occupied for 700 years? I don't recall seeing a Irish Empire, just a load of Irish stirring up shit throughout the British Empire like ungrateful bastards that you are.

No we aint like you wooden foots, it took Cromwell months to conquer Ireland and then it was only partial. It would be the same today, however Britain is a weaker economically and militarily any invasion couldnt be sustained.

It depends on whether we tolerate guerilla warfare this time. We didn't in the Boer Wars, the trouble is separating civilians from fighters in such conflicts, and the line is usually very fine. Such a war would result in a lot of loss of Irish civilians though and would be very unpopular here and abroad. However, such a war would easily bring Britain victory against Ireland, but at very much your expense. I don't think we want more wars like them though.

Celtic Ireland does fine running its own country, since independence our economy has become stronger by our own work. Ireland and Irish culture is globally famous unlike yours of Tulips and clogs. As for hand outs you mean bailouts of Germanic bankers, as with Spain and Italy, Ireland has realized that being a member of the EU is now a vice which crushes countries and its all run from Frankfurt.

Ireland ruined itself. You idiots went building up debts and buying and selling property for profit - here's a hint - you can't all get rich of property if you're all doing it! :picard1: You built up an artificial economy based on borrowing to sustain an extravagent system. The Netherlands has contributed a hell of a lot more to the world than Ireland ever did, the only part of the world where anyone cares about Ireland is North America, where it's full of plastic paddies. In Europe, the jokes are about Ireland.

Nobody is saying you're the same, yet you stand for the same things.

That's why the French consider you for all political purposes "continental Brits".

What things are those? Having an independent attitude and not bowing to France?

It's such a pity for Jacobites....the French and Spanish tried to help them but the amount of English traitors coupled with Dutch and Jewish money made it impossible.

Louis XIV forever hated William III, one other reason for which he was one of the best French monarchs.

The Jacobites would have sold out their own country and mine to the French and Spanish. Having a protestant monarch would have affected them very little in the Highlands had they left it. And if you're going to say "Jewish money" as if it were fact, please at least provide reputable sources for the statement.

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Depends on which William of Orange you talk about ? William the Silent or Stadtholder William III ?

Baluarte
04-25-2013, 03:44 PM
The House of Orange has always been an ally of Jews, that's why they were part of those who financed the Invasion of England by a Dutchman who overthrew the rightful Stuart monarch:

Here:

From 1672.
But to return to the general history in 1672, when, after an interval of twenty-two years (1650-72), William III. was reelected stadholder. This began a period of exceptional prosperity for the Jews; for until that time, though citizens, they had been oppressed by the clergy, who, as Koenen supposes, resented their influence, and who, in fact, were irritated by the presence of any not of their own faith. At this epoch, too, the Jewish partiality for the house of Orange displeased the Dutch. But with William III. many ameliorations were effected. The prince praised the attachment to his family shown by his subjects of Jewish faith; he commended their fairness in commerce, their religious constancy, and their industry. He clearly manifested his sentiments, and his influence affected even the Jews in South Netherlands, where the newly appointed governor, De Villa Hermosa, accorded them many privileges.

William III. employed Jews in his negotiations with foreign kings (see England), especially members of the Belmonte family, Moses Machado (who rendered important services to the army in Flanders; Koenen, "Geschiedenis," p. 207) Isaac Lopez Suasso (who lent two million gulden to William III. for his descent upon England), David Bueno de Mesquita (general agent of the Prince of Brandenburg), Moses Curiel (at whose house William stayed three days when he visited the Portuguese synagogue at Amsterdam in 1695). Jews were very rich at this time; many among them lived in palaces more magnificent than those of princes (Tallander, "Historische Reisen," v. 794). The number of Portuguese Jews who then resided in the Netherlands is estimated at 2,400 families.

------------------------------------------

No wonder why England has been the refuge for the sons of Abraham for more than 3 centuries (a turn of events started by Cromwell and that has only been reinforced with the years).
It also explains why the Dutch have never had a problem with usury banking, as the fact they own the largest one in the world (ING) while not being by any means an economic powerhouse today might prove it.

England was lost without reversal in 1688 (culminating the process started by Henry VIII) and all the traditionalists know that to be true.

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2013, 03:46 PM
The House of Orange has always been an ally of Jews, that's why they were part of those who financed the Invasion of England by a Dutchman who overthrew the rightful Stuart monarch:

Here:

From 1672.
But to return to the general history in 1672, when, after an interval of twenty-two years (1650-72), William III. was reelected stadholder. This began a period of exceptional prosperity for the Jews; for until that time, though citizens, they had been oppressed by the clergy, who, as Koenen supposes, resented their influence, and who, in fact, were irritated by the presence of any not of their own faith. At this epoch, too, the Jewish partiality for the house of Orange displeased the Dutch. But with William III. many ameliorations were effected. The prince praised the attachment to his family shown by his subjects of Jewish faith; he commended their fairness in commerce, their religious constancy, and their industry. He clearly manifested his sentiments, and his influence affected even the Jews in South Netherlands, where the newly appointed governor, De Villa Hermosa, accorded them many privileges.

William III. employed Jews in his negotiations with foreign kings (see England), especially members of the Belmonte family, Moses Machado (who rendered important services to the army in Flanders; Koenen, "Geschiedenis," p. 207) Isaac Lopez Suasso (who lent two million gulden to William III. for his descent upon England), David Bueno de Mesquita (general agent of the Prince of Brandenburg), Moses Curiel (at whose house William stayed three days when he visited the Portuguese synagogue at Amsterdam in 1695). Jews were very rich at this time; many among them lived in palaces more magnificent than those of princes (Tallander, "Historische Reisen," v. 794). The number of Portuguese Jews who then resided in the Netherlands is estimated at 2,400 families.

------------------------------------------

No wonder why England has been the refuge for the sons of Abraham for more than 3 centuries (a turn of events started by Cromwell and that has only been reinforced with the years).
It also explains why the Dutch have never had a problem with usury banking, as the fact they own the largest one in the world (ING) while not being by any means an economic powerhouse today might prove it.

England was lost without reversal in 1688 (culminating the process started by Henry VIII) and all the traditionalists know that to be true.

Your sources ? No Catholic hogwash, conspiracy bullshit or Nazi websites but neutral sources. And ooh: the House of Stuart is not the rightful claimant to the thrown as they are descendant from the illegal House of Tudor. The rightful claimants are the descendants of the House of Plantagenet.

Baluarte
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Source is the Jews themselves.

Jewish Encyclopedia: The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11450-netherlands
---

Protestants in general, starting by their theology, have no problem engaging in usury and accumulation which was badly seen in the Old European World (both by Roman Catholicism and Byzantine Orthodoxy). Nobody in their right mind can hide the fact that these countries, specially the English and the Dutch, have nurtured an alliance with International Jewry through the centuries, which is today reflected by their heavy implications on banking and freemasonry.

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2013, 03:53 PM

---

Protestants in general, starting by their theology, have no problem engaging in usury and accumulation which was badly seen in the Old European World (both by Roman Catholicism and Byzantine Orthodoxy). Nobody in their right mind can hide the fact that these countries, specially the English and the Dutch, have nurtured an alliance with International Jewry through the centuries, which is today reflected by their heavy implications on banking and freemasonry.
Anything a Jew says should be taken with a truck load of salt.

RussiaPrussia
04-25-2013, 04:03 PM
They helped break up the British Empire, but I think they regretted not taking Churchill up on his idea to unite the British Empire and USA once the Soviet Union became a major competitor.

they dont regretted it, the US was always interested into a power balance for europe and anti colonialism. Americans dont like to share just look at the todays situation.

Baluarte
04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
they dont regretted it, the US was always interested into a power balance for europe and anti colonialism. Americans dont like to share just look at the todays situation.

They share, as long as its Israel :)

When it comes to the holy people, they can even give things for free.

RussiaPrussia
04-25-2013, 04:10 PM
They share, as long as its Israel :)

When it comes to the holy people, they can even give things for free.

who made israel? It were the british and arabs who sold the land for the jews

Baluarte
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Arthur Balfour was a Freemason, one of the many apparatchiks that Jewry used to benefit its chosen people by using the British power to systematically serve the interests of Zion.
He worked for Disraeli in the 1870s. Can anyone really be surprised about his positions?

Graham
04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Depends on which William of Orange you talk about ? William the Silent or Stadtholder William III ?

Ah Sorry, I meant this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

Graham
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklgXkxutj0

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Ah Sorry, I meant this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England
The only good thing he ever did was to kick the French out and kick that Catholic usurper out of England. When it comes to his internal policies we have no reason to be grateful to him.

Eddie Quist
04-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Look up world military rankings, Britain always makes the top ten, usually the top 5. Numbers aren't everything, superior training of the British military counts for a lot. It is only ranks 1 and 2 that mean anything, below that those nations are all allied to either 1 or 2.

Better to have lived one day as a lion than a 100 years as a lamb (the latter describing Ireland rather well). Ireland was never a Lamb, we resisted Britain at every twist and turn, your getting Ireland mixed up with Scotland and Wales. And the fact that Britain now follows America everywhere it goes, Lamb is an apt description for Britain.

There are only 2 superpowers in the world at present - America and China. After them come the 8 great powers - influential, powerful countries but not on the same level as America or China. Britain is high in that list. Chinas military power is way below Russia, as China cannot even develop weapon systems without Russian help, even an Aircraft Carrier is beyond them. As for the Chinese economy 95% of trade is Re-Exports, not their own product, but Western product outsourced.

It wasn't an Irish victory. Yes it was, you couldn’t beat a determined enemy in an Urban warfare environment. As for the paramilitaries they only could exist with the protection and coercion of the British military, as well you know.

Ireland ruined itself
Absolutely not, the loans we took from Frankfurt €85bn borrowed at 3.5% interest spread over 15 years, no hardship at all. Compared to Britains staggering debt of £1.39TRILLION, equivalent to 90% of the entire economy.

The Netherlands has contributed a hell of a lot more to the world than Ireland ever did, the only part of the world where anyone cares about Ireland is North America, where it's full of plastic paddies. In Europe, the jokes are about Ireland That was hundreds of years ago and Holland like Britain are backwaters. Go the World over you will find Irish themed pubs in Australia, Japan, China, India everywhere. They celebrate St Patricks Days in Brazil and Mexico. Irish folk music sells worldwide, Irish dance shows play to packed audiences, that’s today, now, its Ireland turn.

Baluarte
04-26-2013, 10:07 AM
The only good thing he ever did was to kick the French out and kick that Catholic usurper out of England. When it comes to his internal policies we have no reason to be grateful to him.

Because the Orange CERTAINLY had a rightful claim to the throne compared to the Stuarts :rolleyes:

Albion
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM

---

"Accumulation" isn't necessarily a bad thing, the world doesn't run on good will alone. Protestants got ahead largely because they didn't oppose wealth accumulation, profit and commerce. The Catholic dominated empires of Spain and Portugal declined, whereas the Netherlands arose from humble beginnings to a empire and great trading nation. England and ultimately Britain started along a similar path. Mercantilism is what Protestant nations excelled at until the theory was abandoned, finance is exactly the cause of the rift between Northern and Southern Europe. Catholic nations that stopped thinking in archaic terms, that finance was necessarily bad got ahead with Protestant nations.

Jews are involved in banking, but they're a minority within it. Some rogue banks and bankers do not diminish the fact that a financial sector is essential to any nation's economy. Without it, try saving to buy property, start a business, etc... Would the world work on essentially zero growth with a rising population? No, Zero growth theories are essentially written by retards.

Well I think that's obvious, if the cold war taught us anything it was that. It's a shame really, America shot itself in the foot by getting rid of the European empires. It swept away stability and co-operative countries and replaced them with lots of troubled little countries which are much harder for it to control.

who made israel? It were the british and arabs who sold the land for the jews

As I've mentioned somewhere else, it wasn't. The zionists did it themselves, the British didn't even own land in Palestine, just administered the territory. Britain opposed further Zionist settlement, the Jews were only allowed to settle due to American lobbying Britain and Britain essentially leaving Palestine for the UN (US) to sort out as a result.

Were his policies that bad? What did he propose?

MissProvocateur
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
I think Obama should focus on his own country first... The U.S. is going down the drain...

Graham
04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
That was hundreds of years ago and Holland like Britain are backwaters. Go the World over you will find Irish themed pubs in Australia, Japan, China, India everywhere. They celebrate St Patricks Days in Brazil and Mexico. Irish folk music sells worldwide, Irish dance shows play to packed audiences, that’s today, now, its Ireland turn.

Does Ireland have any good beers, other than Guinness? It seems like a well-marketed one trick pony to me.

Murphys, is another Irish Stout I can think of.

Albion
04-26-2013, 12:29 PM
It is only ranks 1 and 2 that mean anything, below that those nations are all allied to either 1 or 2.

All of the nations in the top ten have substantial military, America, China and Russia are just odd due to their weird circumstances.

Ireland was never a Lamb, we resisted Britain at every twist and turn, your getting Ireland mixed up with Scotland and Wales.

Wales was conquered and they had the sense to realize that they'd be worse off for resisting. Scotland resisted England, despite being occupied multiple times and still existed as an independent country and joined the UK of its own will.

And the fact that Britain now follows America everywhere it goes, Lamb is an apt description for Britain.

Not really, you're not familiar with alliances and senior and junior partners in them. Still, like I said - better than Ireland, or your own country (New Zealand).

Chinas military power is way below Russia, as China cannot even develop weapon systems without Russian help, even an Aircraft Carrier is beyond them. As for the Chinese economy 95% of trade is Re-Exports, not their own product, but Western product outsourced.

They have sheer numbers on their side and China is essentially "uninvadable". It's been done before, but I doubt America could pull it off.

Yes it was, you couldn’t beat a determined enemy in an Urban warfare environment. As for the paramilitaries they only could exist with the protection and coercion of the British military, as well you know.

What country is Northern Ireland in?

Absolutely not, the loans we took from Frankfurt €85bn borrowed at 3.5% interest spread over 15 years, no hardship at all. Compared to Britains staggering debt of £1.39TRILLION, equivalent to 90% of the entire economy.

Long term loans spread over decades, Britain has a large economy that can pay for it. Only 25% of British debt is owed overseas, most of it is owed to pension funds in the UK.

That was hundreds of years ago and Holland like Britain are backwaters.

Hundreds of years ago? Try about 60 years ago. :picard1: The Netherlands is not a backwater and neither is Britain. If you're discussing backwaters, I again refer you to Ireland which has achieved nothing in centuries, and NZ (the country you're actually from) which is one of our achievements, but sadly only know to the rest of the world for its sheep and dumb adoption of a primitive culture.

Go the World over you will find Irish themed pubs in Australia, Japan, China, India everywhere. They celebrate St Patricks Days in Brazil and Mexico. Irish folk music sells worldwide, Irish dance shows play to packed audiences, that’s today, now, its Ireland turn.

Yes, people like quaint pubs and traditions like that. Britain's culture is far more influential though, you play second fiddle to the UK.

Albion
04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Because the Orange CERTAINLY had a rightful claim to the throne compared to the Stuarts :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with you anyway. The Parliament decided to get rid of him, the people didn't oppose it (most supported it). Still, it's kind of ironic to have people from republics talking to us about the legitimacy of our monarchs. :picard1:
Power lay with Parliament, it was Parliament's decision whether the monarch was fit for purpose or not.

The Lawspeaker
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Were his policies that bad? What did he propose?
He basically snuffed out the old Republican patriciate and replaced them with his old buddies who proved to be incredibly incompetent and corrupt. It heralded in the end of the Dutch Golden Age and we can thank William III for bringing that upon us.

Eddie Quist
04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Does Ireland have any good beers, other than Guinness? It seems like a well-marketed one trick pony to me.
Murphys, is another Irish Stout I can think of.Smithwick's and Kilkenny, Harp Lager and Magners Cider then we the Whiskies we Irish invented.

All of the nations in the top ten have substantial military, America, China and Russia are just odd due to their weird circumstances.And Britain

Wales was conquered and they had the sense to realize that they'd be worse off for resisting. Scotland resisted England, despite being occupied multiple times and still existed as an independent country and joined the UK of its own will.Wales and Scotland meekly rolled over and joined England, and now like England are Fucking nothing places

Not really, you're not familiar with alliances and senior and junior partners in them. Still, like I said - better than Ireland, or your own country (New Zealand).Ireland is not a Lamb we dont follow any nation we are neutral. Britain blindly follows America everywhere takes it in the Arse, Lambs follow the shepherd. As for New Zealand Im currently working out here, they just celebrated St Pats Day and when I came here last year they celebrated that other Irish festival Halloween.

They have sheer numbers on their side and China is essentially "uninvadable". It's been done before, but I doubt America could pull it off.Right I can see you have no idea as to what you are talking about on military matters. Chinas been ringed from Korea through Taiwan by the US Navy and Airforce.

What country is Northern Ireland in?
Ireland

Long term loans spread over decades, Britain has a large economy that can pay for it. Only 25% of British debt is owed overseas, most of it is owed to pension funds in the UK.
Its actually 35% of the £1.7tn debt which will grow to £2.12trillion in 2015, your Fucked.

Hundreds of years ago? Try about 60 years ago. The Netherlands is not a backwater and neither is Britain. If you're discussing backwaters, I again refer you to Ireland which has achieved nothing in centuries, and NZ (the country you're actually from) which is one of our achievements, but sadly only know to the rest of the world for its sheep and dumb adoption of a primitive culture.Yes they are backwaters, Ireland position has grown better and better since 1922 because we are on our own, take it from me my Irish accent Downunder is a magnet for Chicks, in Auckland there are a dozen Irish bars I frequent, full of plastic paddies, all playing Mick Music, Im a Fucking star here. Ill be back in Australia in June, same there as well. And they are members of the Commonwealth but all look to America not Britain.

Yes, people like quaint pubs and traditions like that. Britain's culture is far more influential though, you play second fiddle to the UK.Its just the English language which you gave to the world it ranks along Spanish thats it nothing else. Morris Dancing and Fish n Chips dont make a culture.:)

Albion
04-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Wales and Scotland meekly rolled over and joined England, and now like England are Fucking nothing places

Wales, yes. Not Scotland.

Ireland is not a Lamb we dont follow any nation we are neutral. Britain blindly follows America everywhere takes it in the Arse, Lambs follow the shepherd.

Ireland doesn't do anything, neutral is essentially a byword for irrelevant.

Right I can see you have no idea as to what you are talking about on military matters. Chinas been ringed from Korea through Taiwan by the US Navy and Airforce.

And how exactly will America invade China?

Its actually 35% of the £1.7tn debt which will grow to £2.12trillion in 2015, your Fucked.

Where do you get this figure from? And no, we're not "fucked", its spread over decades as I said. £2.5 trillion is what the UK makes in a year.

Yes they are backwaters, Ireland position has grown better and better since 1922 because we are on our own, take it from me my Irish accent Downunder is a magnet for Chicks, in Auckland there are a dozen Irish bars I frequent, full of plastic paddies, all playing Mick Music, Im a Fucking star here. Ill be back in Australia in June, same there as well. And they are members of the Commonwealth but all look to America not Britain.

I'll have to take your word on that. Maybe they just hear an Irish accent and feel sorry for you.

Its just the English language which you gave to the world it ranks along Spanish thats it nothing else. Morris Dancing and Fish n Chips dont make a culture.:)

Lol, dumb troll. The cultures of America, Canada, NZ and Australia are essentially built upon British foundations, our culture is known worldwide for what it has contributed. It isn't some quaint folk singing and shit about fairies as Irish culture is seen.

Baluarte
04-27-2013, 03:19 PM
It has nothing to do with you anyway. The Parliament decided to get rid of him, the people didn't oppose it (most supported it). Still, it's kind of ironic to have people from republics talking to us about the legitimacy of our monarchs. :picard1:
Power lay with Parliament, it was Parliament's decision whether the monarch was fit for purpose or not.

When did the Parliament get the capacity to install or depose a King at its will? After Charles I lost the English Civil War?

hisn
04-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I think Obama should focus on his own country first... The U.S. is going down the drain...

He cares little about the US, let alone Ireland. Only their posturing are politicians to concern themselves with.

Turkophagos
04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Screw protestantism and the queen. Hail to a united autonomous Ireland within a united catholic British Democracy.

Albion
05-04-2013, 01:34 AM
When did the Parliament get the capacity to install or depose a King at its will? After Charles I lost the English Civil War?

Rebellions and coups are only legal once they're successful. Charles was a Catholic monarch over a Protestant nation, he had to go.

Baluarte
05-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Wrong, Charles I Stuart was not a Catholic. He was a Protestant that had no enmity with Catholicism.

I'm simply asking when did the British system allow for the Parliament to choose its King. I know the Hannovers (today known as Windsors) were picked by Westminster like that. So I'd like to know if that possibility exists since the Glorious Revolution or before.

Graham
05-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Isn't the Monarch, also Head of 'The Church of England', & thus can't be Catholic. Not sure how long that rule has been for.

Cromwell and his friends, weren't Anglican also, of course.

The Lawspeaker
05-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Since the CoE was established.

Albion
05-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Wrong, Charles I Stuart was not a Catholic. He was a Protestant that had no enmity with Catholicism.

I'm simply asking when did the British system allow for the Parliament to choose its King. I know the Hannovers (today known as Windsors) were picked by Westminster like that. So I'd like to know if that possibility exists since the Glorious Revolution or before.

Anglican in name only, he was quite sympathetic to Catholicism at a time when England was Anglican and sympathetic to Calvinism. As for whether parliament can choose the monarch, I don't think there are any set rules except that the monarch must be Anglican (and that's been challenged recently). It was a rare event, I doubt there's much specific legislation for it.