PDA

View Full Version : Croats in the first Yugoslavia

Szegedist
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
I have heard many things about this, ranging from "Croats supported and wanted to join Yugoslavia" to "Croatia was forced by the Entente to do this against their will".

So what actually happened, how much say did Croatia have in its future during this time (around 1918-1921 or so)? And what do you think should have happened to Croatia after WW1?

Guapo
03-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Croat politician Ante Trumbic was a prominent Yugoslav nationalist. He changed the name of the country to "Kingdom of Yugoslavia"

Szegedist
03-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Were there any opinion polls or referendums held at the time?

Guapo
03-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Majority were simpleton peasants that didn't care about politics. Politicians were educated folk that lead the sheep.

Szegedist
03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
So most of the Croat intellectuals and politicians supported Yugoslavia?

Insuperable
03-31-2013, 07:50 PM
So most of the Croat intellectuals and politicians supported Yugoslavia?

Croats in the beginning supported Yugoslavia not Great Serboslavia:laugh: so I think yes, they supported it. There were parliamentary elections.

Sisak
04-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Important personality in this part of history was Stjepan Radic,he is founder of Croatian party of villagers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stjepan_Radi%C4%87

edit: Many Yews suported this party.

Sisak
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uz_Mar%C5%A1ala_Tita
Uz Maršala Tita (Serbo-Croatian: Uz Maršala Tita, English: With Marshal Tito) is a Yugoslav Partisan anthem about Marshal Josip Broz Tito, written by Vladimir Nazor and composed by Oskar Danon.
During the World War II in Yugoslavia, the Ustaše regime in German-sponsored Independent State of Croatia (NDH) and some Bosniaks who campaigned for autonomy or independence from the NDH, claimed origins from Goths (i.e., Ostrogoths, see also theories about origin of Croats), instead of Slavs,[2] which would make them "Aryans", and closer to the Nazi regime. The Middle stanza of this song addresses that by outright refutal of Gothic theory and by reaffirming the Slavic origins of all South Slavs.

Uz maršala Tita, junačkoga sina
nas neće ni pakao smest'.
Mi dižemo čelo, mi kročimo smjelo
i čvrsto stiskamo pest.

Rod prastari svi smo, a Goti mi nismo,
Slavenstva smo drevnoga čest.
Ko drukčije kaže, kleveće i laže,
Našu će osjetit' pest.

Sve prste na ruci u jadu i muci
Partizanska stvorila je svijest.
Pa sad kad i treba, do Sunca do neba
Visoko mi dižemo pest.

english:

With Marshall Tito, the heroic son
not even Hell shall stop us.
We raise our foreheads, we walk boldly
and clench our fists hard.

Of an ancient kindred we are, but Goths we are not
Part of ancient Slavdom are we.
Whoever says otherwise slanders and lies,
will feel our fist.

All the fingers upon our hands, through misery and suffering
The Partisans awareness has created.
And now when we should, to the sun, to the sky,
We raise our fists high.

Sisak
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM

I dont remember this from school. Some informations from wikipedia:

Decision to unite with the Kingdom of Serbia and Kingdom of Montenegro, Croatian Parliament has never been confirmed.
http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrvatska_povijest#Prva_Jugoslavija_.281918.-1941..29

Malo prije kraja 1. svjetskog rata (1918.), Hrvatski sabor je 29. listopada 1918. prekinuo veze s Austro-Ugarskom koja je izgubila rat te se raspala. Narodno vijeće države, vođeno idejama panslavenstva koje su se razvijale pedeset godina, pridružilo se Srbiji i Crnoj Gori čime je stvorena Kraljevina Srba, Hrvata i Slovenaca. Odluku o ujedinjenju s Kraljevinom Srbijom i Kraljevinom Crnom Gorom Hrvatski sabor nikada nije potvrdio.