PDA

View Full Version : Atheist baby names?

Elsa
04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I read about a couple who called their daughter Atheist Evolution (http://www.nancy.cc/2012/03/29/baby-named-atheist-evolution/). Can you think of any more subtle atheist or non-religious baby names? Preferably ones that have a link to nature or science.

SkyBurn
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
That girl is gonna get sooooooooo bullied...

Meow
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Jebus ? I'm sorry, but that's the first one that came to my mind, other one was Sinus Hurricanus.

kabeiros
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Episteme, as distinguished from techne, is etymologically derived from the Ancient Greek word ἐπιστήμη for knowledge or science, which comes from the verb ἐπίσταμαι, "to know"

Kemalisté
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Karl, Charles, Richard etc. :D

Graham
04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
That girl is gonna get sooooooooo bullied...

Would most young children even understand the word Atheist? Doubt most would care less.

Always someone who has to go too far.. In this case parents.

Peyrol
04-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I read about a couple who called their daughter Atheist Evolution (http://www.nancy.cc/2012/03/29/baby-named-atheist-evolution/). Can you think of any more subtle atheist or non-religious baby names? Preferably ones that have a link to nature or science.

Even the pre-Christian names have a connection with Paganism or Animism, so...very difficult.

Hurrem sultana
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Evolution

SkyBurn
04-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Any names based on flowers/stones: Rose, Jasper, Lilly, Ruby, Jet...

However, these kinds of names always strike me as so dull.

Methmatician
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Most Slavic names have nothing to do with religion.

Peyrol
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Any names based on flowers/stones: Rose, Jasper, Lilly, Ruby, Jet...

However, these kinds of names always strike me as so dull.

These names have an animistical root, btw...a celebration of Mother Nature.

Jackson
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Charles Dawkins

Shkembe Chorba
04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Most Slavic names have nothing to do with religion.
I'm not quiet sure about this.

Methmatician
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm not quiet sure about this.

Elaborate.

Vasconcelos
04-02-2013, 10:19 PM
A lot of names with germanic origin are unrelated to religion, like the Lewis or Alphonse, or even with greek origin such as Andrew. The Portuguese version of these names are all very common here.

Siberian Cold Breeze
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Evrim -evolution and Devrim -revolution are Turkish names and were popular among left wing fellows ..
One of my Turkish friend (a girl) is Evrim

Btw names related with Turkish history ,historical hero names or old Turkic ranks ,Tarkan ,Kagan ,Hakan etc or nature elements (river names ,tree names ,cloud ,rain ,lightening ) ,metals (demir -iron Tunç -bronz Altan -Altın (gold) etc, old deities or totems (Umay,Asena etc) , flower names ,concepts (ülkü -ideal etc) ...

for short names in native Turkish are mostly not related to religion.

Shkembe Chorba
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Elaborate.
All names that contain the part "Bog-": Bogomil, Bogoliub, Bozhidar, Bogdan, Bojidar, Bodjan.
Names coming from Faith - Vera, Vyara, Verka,Verina.
Those one from "Cross" - Krustiyo, Krustan.
The name Devina comes from the slavonic word "Maiden".
Blagovest - the Annunciation.
Spas, Spaska, Spasuna - from the word "Spasitel" - Saviour.
Slavonic tribes often named their childs after their Gods before the Christianization - Lada, Perun, Morena, but after the new religion they remain in the past.

Svipdag
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Homer
Socrates
Plato
Zeno
Hippocrates
Virgil
Servius
Tarquin
Tully
Ovid
Horace
Seneca
Sophonisba
Roxanne (Roshanak)
Messalina
Octavia
Lucretia
Xantippe, to name but a few

"DIXI OMNIA CVM HOMINEM NOMINAVI" - GAIVS PLINIVS CAECILIVS SECVNDVS

Sblast
04-28-2013, 08:46 AM
You should add Lucretius to the list :D

Methmatician
04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
All names that contain the part "Bog-": Bogomil, Bogoliub, Bozhidar, Bogdan, Bojidar, Bodjan.
Names coming from Faith - Vera, Vyara, Verka,Verina.
Those one from "Cross" - Krustiyo, Krustan.
The name Devina comes from the slavonic word "Maiden".
Blagovest - the Annunciation.
Spas, Spaska, Spasuna - from the word "Spasitel" - Saviour.
Slavonic tribes often named their childs after their Gods before the Christianization - Lada, Perun, Morena, but after the new religion they remain in the past.

But then you have names like Vladko, Vladimir, Velimir, Veljko, Miroslav, Slavomir, Yaroslav, Zdenko, Milenko, Miljan, Milojko, Radenko, Radivoj, Radislav, Radovan, Dragomir, Dragan, Dragoljub, Dragoslav, Draženko, Dušan, Dušanka, Nedeljka, Boris, Borislav, Borisav, Bojan, Bojomir, etc.

Most Slavic names aren't religious, they're cultural.

baraSYR
04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Strange but expectable from Richard Dawkins Syndrome.

evon
04-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Many Norwegian names are not connected to god/s:
http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Category:Norwegian_Both_Genders_Names

My nieces are called Skye and Aurora, none of which is religious:)

Wolf
05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Many Norwegian names are not connected to god/s:

Germanic names had often a connection to religion:

Ansgar: "divine spear"
Godwin: "friend of the gods"
Godfrey: "protected by the gods"
Oswald: "divine ruler"
Thorvald: "Thor's ruler"

Astrid: "beautiful godess"
Freya: godess of love
Ingrid: "Ing's beauty"

Kastrioti1443
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Mirjon

evon
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Ofcourse many do, but there is a wide selection and its not difficult to find many that are not religious...

undergroundninja
08-17-2013, 12:14 PM
There are a lot of nice names from tolkien's world,and none of them are connected to any religion.
GIRLS:Arwen,Eowin,Estel,Haleth,Calen,Varanda,Mírie l,Mariel
BOYS:Aldon,Astar,Arton,Athëo,Aragorn,Legolas,Thuri n,Rimedur,Herion,Mithrandir

rhiannon
08-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Astrid is one of my favorite female names. I seem to prefer pre-Christian names, actually. Wouldn't necessarily think of them as atheist, per se.

Kazimiera
08-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Astrid is one of my favorite female names.

I know it is a Germanic name, but in German you can have fun with it. We had a family friend called Astrid. We called her Tante Arsch Tritt. Which translated means Aunt Ass Kick.

Petros Houhoulis
08-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Hypatia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

Hypatia (b. ca. AD 350–370, d. 415[1]) (English pronunciation: /haɪˈpeɪʃə/ hy-PAY-shə; Ancient Greek: Ὑπατία; Hypatía) was an Alexandrine Neoplatonist philosopher in Egypt who was the first well-documented woman in mathematics.[2] As head of the Platonist school at Alexandria, she also taught philosophy and astronomy.[3][4][5][6][7]

As a Neoplatonist philosopher, she belonged to the mathematic tradition of the Academy of Athens, as represented by Eudoxus of Cnidus;[8] she was of the intellectual school of the 3rd century thinker Plotinus, which encouraged logic and mathematical study in place of empirical enquiry and strongly encouraged law in place of nature.[2]

According to the only contemporary source, Hypatia was murdered by a Christian mob after being accused of exacerbating a conflict between two prominent figures in Alexandria: the governor Orestes and the Bishop of Alexandria.[9] Kathleen Wider proposes that the murder of Hypatia marked the end of Classical antiquity,[10] and Stephen Greenblatt observes that her murder "effectively marked the downfall of Alexandrian intellectual life".[11] On the other hand, Maria Dzielska and Christian Wildberg note that Hellenistic philosophy continued to flourish in the 5th and 6th centuries, and perhaps until the age of Justinian.[12]

http://www.behindthename.com/name/hypatia

Derived from Greek ‘υπατος (hypatos) meaning "highest, supreme". Hypatia of Alexandria was a 5th-century philosopher and mathematician, daughter of the mathematician Theon.

Petros Houhoulis
08-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Strange but expectable from Richard Dawkins Syndrome.

I've seen worse from the Muslim syndrome:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10237682/Names-banned-around-the-world.html

Osama bin Laden - Less than a year after 9/11, a Turkish couple living in Cologne, Germany, were refused permission to name their child Osama Bin Laden by officials. The father was found to be associated with a radical Turkish group, lead by an imam who had served time in prison for soliciting murder. Germany's guidelines for parents state that names must "indicate the gender of the child" and it must not be likely to lead to humiliation. "Hitler" is banned.

Neanderthal
08-19-2013, 09:07 PM
John, Paul, Joseph, Christian, etc.

B01AB20
08-19-2013, 09:20 PM
atheism is just another religion.

so for me 'atheist evolution' is a name which screams 'I'm religious and my faith is atheism', and moreover my parents were fanatics followers of that religion, hence my ridiculous name' :p

fanatic atheists and very progressives too, :cool:, I would bet my genitalia on it.

SkyBurn
08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
atheism is just another religion.

so for me 'atheist evolution' is a name which screams 'I'm religious and my faith is atheism', and moreover my parents were fanatics followers of that religion, hence my ridiculous name' :p

fanatic atheists and very progressives too, :cool:, I would bet my genitalia on it.

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position" - Bill Maher

B01AB20
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM

and that means yes or no man, you're so subtle...

Shah-Jehan
08-19-2013, 10:54 PM

I agree but, why did you put atheism in your info on religion:laugh:?

SkyBurn
08-20-2013, 01:27 AM
I agree but, why did you put atheism in your info on religion:laugh:?

Because it's a more pretentious way of saying N/A.

But that's a good point, I'll change it :p