PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular UK Destinations For Immigrants

Graham
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Most Popular UK Destinations For Immigrants
By TOM WELLS
Published: 02nd April 2013
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4869348/Government-data-reveals-immigrants-most-popular-UK-destinations.html
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/03/article-2303259-190F689A000005DC-983_634x621.jpg

THE most popular destination for Iraqis moving to Britain is HULL, The Sun’s incredible migration map reveals today.

London remains a magnet but smaller cities and towns have also welcomed visitors from all four corners of the world.

Our map shows some of the areas different nationalities settle when arriving. And it throws up some surprising pairings.

For example, Herefordshire is a huge draw to Bulgarians, while Zimbabweans head to Leicester, Latvians to Peterborough, Cambs, and Slovaks to Warrington, Cheshire.

The melting pot culture of bigger cities attracts a variety of nationalities. Birmingham is popular with Chinese, Afghanis, Eritreans and Bangladeshis, while Edinburgh attracts Poles, Irish and Spaniards.

The map is based on latest Department for Work and Pensions figures showing where 600,810 migrants applied for a National Insurance number to work or study.

They emerged after census details in December showed nearly one in seven people living in England and Wales in 2011 was born abroad.

London is the place most newcomers head to, with the east of the city the UK’s biggest hotspot.

The borough of Newham, home to the Olympics, is the most likely destination for Indians, Pakistanis and tens of thousands from Eastern Europe. Neighbouring Tower Hamlets is the first port of call for Spaniards, Italians and Germans.

The biggest single group of migrants to the UK came from Poland, with 79,140 settling here in 2011/12, followed by 47,270 Indians and 38,300 from Pakistan.

Poles settled most in Ealing, West London, while Romanians, Hungarians and Portuguese headed for neighbouring Brent.

Aussies put down roots in Hammersmith and Fulham, with Kiwis and South Africans favouring Wandsworth. Americans go to wealthy Westminster or Kensington and Chelsea.

The figures do not include migrants who arrive illegally. Under Labour the number of UK residents born abroad soared from 4.6million in 2001 to 7.5million in 2011.

Aunt Hilda
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I can confirm that the Edinburgh statistics are definitely true. Spaniards don't really stand out. Edinburgh was always popular among the Irish, especially the N. Irish.
Leith and leith walk has been basically taken over by the poles and paki's.

Mixing the Scots and the poles is a bad idea, imagine the amount of scotch and vodka :)

Graham
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
There's a couple of Spanish on this forum who live in Edinburgh. There was a guy from ETA arrested last year, who was living in Leith.

B01AB20
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I can confirm that the Edinburgh statistics are definitely true. Spaniards don't really stand out.

maybe they stand out by their looks of 'I'm cold'. :eusa_shifty:

Edinburgh was always popular among the Irish, especially the N. Irish.

what do you mean?
all the catholics are the same?

Sky earth
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I think that Multicluturalism is great as long as the native population is not outnumbered then it would be ethnocide. Sorry but it would be pretty boring to live in a country where the people look all the same and have the same background and culture as you. I love diversity wether it be phenotypically or culturally

Graham
04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
I think that Multicluturalism is great as long as the native population is not outnumbered then it would be ethnocide. Sorry but it would be pretty boring to live in a country where the people look all the same and have the same background and culture as you. I love diversity wether it be phenotypically or culturally

Think it depends with what You grow up with. The older generation, tend to be most against it.

Baluarte
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Multiculturalism is never good unless you're fond of a Babylon-like ethnocultural mess.

Those experiments always end up failing and breaking-up due to the impossibility to coexist.

Ethnocultural unity is one of the factors that allowed Greek cities to survive the Medic Wars, since the Persian multinational army lacked dynamism and reaction (hard to lead an army when you need 10 translators to give orders).

Aunt Hilda
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
There's a couple of Spanish on this forum who live in Edinburgh. There was a guy from ETA arrested last year, who was living in Leith.

Leith is very popular with immigrants in general, but the poles definitely the ones that stand out the most, since the are so many polish shops

what do you mean?
all the catholics are the same?
No, Scotland is popular among the Irish in general. Edinburgh, being the capital, is bound to attract more of them.