PDA

View Full Version : What Are the Benefits of Rosemary Tea?

derLowe
04-06-2013, 05:58 PM
What Are the Benefits of Rosemary Tea?
Print

Mar 11, 2011 | By Michele Kadison
http://photos2.demandstudios.com/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/103/14/86544032_XS.jpg?h=10000&w=400&keep_ratio=1 Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images Rosemary has been acknowledged for its many uses over the centuries, with evidence that it was used for culinary and healing purposes as far back as 500 BC. As one of the oldest herbs in cultivation, rosemary was used in religious ceremonies in ancient Rome and Egypt, as well as by herbalists and physicians to help cure a myriad of physical ailments. In the sixteenth century, the physician Paracelsus used rosemary tea as a tonic for the entire body, including the brain, heart and liver. Today rosemary tea is recognized for its powerful antioxidant properties and its ability to treat a range of physical discomforts.
Growing Your Own Rosemary Rosemary is a perennial herb that is native to lands around the Mediterranean. With its woody stem, it produces leaves that are needle shaped, slightly oily, and that have a strong rather bitter taste. The pink, purple, blue or white flowers are especially attractive to butterflies and bees, making the herb a wonderful one to place in an outdoor garden. You can also easily grow rosemary indoors on a sunny windowsill where it is easy to pick the leaves and dry them for use in cooking or making tea.
Making Rosemary Tea One of the best ways to benefit from the many excellent properties of rosemary is by drinking it as a tea. Containing powerful antioxidants and many vitamins, rosemary tea is easily made by adding 1 tsp. of the dried leaves to 1 cup of boiled water. Steep for 10 minutes, strain and sip. You can add honey if you need a sweeter concoction. Drink up to 3 cups of the tea a day if you are suffering from indigestion or congestion.

You can also gargle with rosemary tea, as it contains antiseptic properties, or add the tea to your bath water by making a larger batch. This is excellent if you are suffering from poor circulation as it will help to stimulate blood flow or for soothing and calming skin irritations.
Vitamins in Rosemary Tea Drinking rosemary tea is a good way to receive a variety of vitamins. Rosemary leaves are high in the following: beta-carotene/Vitamin A, thiamin/Vitamin B1, riboflavin/Vitamin B2, niacin/Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, biotin, pantothenic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E and Vitamin K.
Good for the Brain Since rosemary contains rosmarinic acid as well as other essential antioxidants, it helps to prevent the breakdown of an important neurotransmitter responsible for helping with brain function. This chemical is called acetylcholine and is responsible for keeping brain tissues saturated with necessary choline for cognition and reasoning. Rosemary tea is thus considered a way to help prevent and treat symptoms of Alzheimer's and dementia by additionally helping increase blood flow in order to improve the memory.
Other Benefits of Rosemary Tea Rosemary tea is helpful in increasing circulation and fighting rheumatism, infection and indigestion. According to Germany's "Commission E," a government agency equivalent to the U.S. Department of Agriculture that deals only with herbs, rosemary is an approved remedy for treating symptoms of digestive distress. Additionally, rosemary helps to kill bacteria that cause infection and soothes aching muscles. Because of its mild analgesic properties a strong tea is excellent for relieving headaches and fever.
Word to the Wise Consult your physician before ingesting rosemary tea if you are pregnant or suffer from high blood pressure, hypertension or insomnia.

Duke
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, i like good cup of tea, didnt try rosemary, but i like pomegranate.

Also one thing i agree with British(or as I have heard), putting lemon into a tea is worst thing you can do :D

derLowe
04-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Hmmm, i like good cup of tea, didnt try rosemary, but i like pomegranate.

Also one thing i agree with British(or as I have heard), putting lemon into a tea is worst thing you can do :D

I like my tea black, no milk or sugar. The only time I add any thing in my tea is when I am ill, then I add lemon and honey.

My favorite teas are rosary, mint and chamomile, which tea/s do you prefer?