PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Incorporate Extra Movement

Frigga
08-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Eating well is very important in losing weight. But another key element is movement. Our modern lifestyles are much more sedentary than they were even just fifty years ago, which makes it that much easier to pack on unwanted pounds, and that much harder to shed them. How can you incorportate extra movement?

If you use public transportation, here's an easy way. Add an extra stop's worth of walking to your trip. On your way to your destination, get off one stop early, and walk the rest of the way. And, conversely, walk an extra stop to pick up your ride. Just doing that every day will definitely help.

What about if you drive? Park as far away as you can, and then walk. Every little bit of movement helps.

If you work and/or live in a building with an elevator, use the stairs! If you can't make it from the ground floor to your floor, then take the elevator to the floor right below it, and walk the one flight up. Build yourself up gradually to taking the stairs the whole way. Try adding one flight a week, or a month if need be. Save the elevator for emergencies.

What about when you're at home, and you're cooking dinner? Dance while you're cooking! Put on some fun music, crank it up, and just go for it! It's your kitchen, and no one is going to care if you dance like a geek! Get your arms in the movement as well, and really twist your body around to work your abdominals. Now, not while you're chopping vegetables mind you ;) Don't want to lose your fingers going hog wild with the paring knife! :D

You're also able to do body weight squats in that same time period as well. Push ups against the counter are fun as well.

Anyone else have any good ideas?

Skandi
08-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Silly things, don't use the food processor, chop and mix things by hand. obviously one can try and go for a walk, but there are way too many things that get in the way!

Wash the car, even if it doesn't really need it, dig out the mower and do the lawn.

WinterMoon
08-27-2009, 03:48 AM
I even workout while on the computer. :p Anyone else goofy like me?

I also dance around the house.... the other day I was doing ballet in the front hall, and when I turned around I saw the mailman leaving the front porch. :embarrassed

Okay, so other ways to get moving not already mentioned.... try squeezing, holding, then releasing various muscles .... wether standing, sitting, walking. Practice good posture, even while climbing stairs. If carrying things like grocery bags, take advantage of the opportunity to lift them.... biceps, triceps, shoulder shrugs, etc.

Rainraven
09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Doing the housework, reaching up to dust the high shelves and working the vacuum cleaner, especially if you've got music on too!

Squatting when you go to public toilets instead of actually sitting on the yukky toilet seat.

Walk home from the supermarket if it's not too far, nothing like a good walk with a few heavy bags.

Make the effort to visit a friend, and walk round to their place, or instead of going out for a coffee, go for a walk through the park.

Sally
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Silly things, don't use the food processor, chop and mix things by hand.

I just chopped 200 grams of chocolate into little bits for cookies! I didn't nibble any, but I did sample some of the cookie dough. I limited myself to one cookie afterwards, though. :thumb001:

Absinthe
09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
What about when you're at home, and you're cooking dinner? Dance while you're cooking! Put on some fun music, crank it up, and just go for it! It's your kitchen, and no one is going to care if you dance like a geek! Get your arms in the movement as well, and really twist your body around to work your abdominals.

This is so nasty that I'd rather use the spoilers :D

2pKD4BIZPQU

Don't click if you have a sensitive stomach! :D

Sally
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
This is so nasty that I'd rather use the spoilers :D

2pKD4BIZPQU

Don't click if you have a sensitive stomach! :D

:laugh: :rotfl

I think I was inspired to cancel my next barbeque! :p