PDA

View Full Version : Groupings like "Nordic countries", "Baltic countries", "Benelux", etc.

alfieb
04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Does your country have neighboring countries that it should be grouped with for cultural, economic, linguistic, or whatever other reasons?

For Italy, we're usually thrown in with Greece, Spain, and Portugal as "Southern Europe" proper.

Although I think most Sicilians and Southern Italians would certainly say that they feel more kinship with Albanians than with the Portuguese.

As for the USA, it's the Anglosphere. Canada and Australia, especially. Not as much association with New Zealand or South Africa, though.

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Levantine Countries ( Syria, Jordan, Palastine and Lebanon )

BlastFromDaPast
04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Although I think most Sicilians and Southern Italians would certainly say that they feel more kinship with Albanians than with the Portuguese.

Isn't Albania viewed as a third world country by the mainstream Italian? I'm not saying it should, just wondering.

Anglojew
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Levantine Countries ( Syria, Jordan, Palastine and Lebanon )

You seem to have forgotten a country? Maybe you need a map;

http://www.glaphyridae.com/Biogeografia/img/Lev/Levantpolitical.gif

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Isrealis that come from Europe are not levantine.

Anglojew
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Australasia or Oceania;

http://www.fatbirder.com/images/map_australasia.gif

alfieb
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Isn't Albania viewed as a third world country by the mainstream Italian? I'm not saying it should, just wondering.
Yes and no.

Libya is certainly a third world country, but it's been one of our strongest allies and trading partners since they were given their independence. Likewise, Greece and Albania were both countries that fascist Italy conquered as well, but the insulting, degrading view Italians had of them in the past has given way to the present where more or less Italy sees them as little brothers.

Albanians make up the second-largest immigrant group in Italy, and the largest outside of the EU. That's not even including Italians of partial Albanian descent, which probably numbers in the millions.

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
You seem to have forgotten a country? Maybe you need a map;

http://www.glaphyridae.com/Biogeografia/img/Lev/Levantpolitical.gif

I do recognize levantine Jews as Levantine, but I don't recognize the European Jews who formed Isreal as levantine.

Baldur
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Scandinavia (Danmark, Norway & Sweden).

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I forget Southern Turkey and North-west parts of Iraq and Cyprus.

Vasconcelos
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Obviously Iberia.

BlastFromDaPast
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes and no.

Libya is certainly a third world country, but it's been one of our strongest allies and trading partners since they were given their independence. Likewise, Greece and Albania were both countries that fascist Italy conquered as well, but the insulting, degrading view Italians had of them in the past has given way to the present where more or less Italy sees them as little brothers.

Albanians make up the second-largest immigrant group in Italy, and the largest outside of the EU. That's not even including Italians of partial Albanian descent, which probably numbers in the millions.

How is Bulgaria viewed in Italy? So far it is the only western country I've visited and from my experience Bulgarians are viewed neutral to slightly positive.

alfieb
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
How is Bulgaria viewed in Italy? So far it is the only western country I've visited and from my experience Bulgarians are viewed neutral to slightly positive.
I haven't met or spoken about Bulgarians in Italy, only Romanians.

I'd imagine that most Italians do not hold negative views about Bulgarians, but if you asked the average Italian, they'd probably think that Bulgaria had been part of Yugoslavia. :shrug:

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
What do Italians think of Syrian people ?

Peyrol
04-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Honestly, it is.

(This isn't my opinion, but the average opinion here)

Peyrol
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
What do Italians think of Syrian people ?

We think of you as related with Giordanian, Egyptians, Lebanese and Palestinians mainly.

Anglojew
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I do recognize levantine Jews as Levantine, but I don't recognize the European Jews who formed Isreal as levantine.

Ok fair enough. Half of Israeli Jews are not from Europe.

Virtuous
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Sicilia, Malta, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Gozo, Comino, Filfla.

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Most the Syrians are levantine.

alfieb
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Sicilia, Malta, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Gozo, Comino, Filfla.

Also Marettimo, Levanzo, Favignana, Linosa, Lampione, Stromboli, Lipari, among others.

baraSYR
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Syrian jews are originated in history from outside Syria. the Half Jews you are talking about are mainly from Morocco and Yemen and Iraq and other Area which are not levantine..so. they are Aliens to the region.

Peyrol
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Most of the italian jews are chassidians and sephardits, and not askhenazi, for example.

Virtuous
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Also Marettimo, Levanzo, Favignana, Linosa, Lampione, Stromboli, Lipari, among others.

Together we'd make a strong chain of island fortresses!

alfieb
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Together we'd make a strong chain of island fortresses!

Semu stati.

...francisi cazzi, castigghiani strunzi.

RussiaPrussia
04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
cis.

Germany is complicated you can say central europe with slavic countries, you can say its Carolingian country with france, benelux and italy like the empire of Charlemagne or you can see it belongs to the german sphere with austria and switzerland together.

Virtuous
04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Semu stati.

...francisi cazzi, castigghiani strunzi.

Ma con mezza Italia inclusa :laugh:

...hai notato qualcosa?

SU DIVENTATU LAZIALE!

alfieb
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Ma con mezza Italia inclusa :laugh:

Sulu primu vespiri siciliani rô 1282. :thumb001:

Jackson
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I think 'British Isles' is an accurate grouping, English is the lingua franca here, we are culturally quite similar and ethnically quite similar.

Peyrol
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
cis.

Germany is complicated you can say central europe with slavic countries, you can say its Carolingian country with france, benelux and italy like the empire of Charlemagne or you can see it belongs to the german sphere with austria and switzerland together.

Only the north:

http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/images/CharlemagneTsm.jpg