PDA

View Full Version : "Latvia could be Russia's Switzerland"

Aunt Hilda
04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
"Latvia could be Russia's Switzerland"

"Latvia could become a Switzerland for Russians. The German-speaking part of Switzerland is pretty much an offshore Germany right next door to it. Latvia could be the same for Russia: an easy and comfortable place to do business in," says Eduard Boze, CEO of Russian company Felzer that recently started to manufacture air coolers in Riga.

In an interview to news2biz LATVIA, Boze said that Felzer chose Latvia because people speak Russian. "It is much harder to talk to, say, Lithuanians. Also, Riga is a large city, so it is easier to find workers here."

Boze has also a warning about Latvia. "Latvian companies sometimes tend to cheat on small things. It feels that you have to keep them on a short leash: if you trust them too much, they try to take advantage of you. They win something, but they lose much larger contracts that way."

If Latvian companies can combine their knowledge of the Russian culture and market with a trustworthy business culture, Boze believes that they can have a bright future ahead.

Boze says that for Felzer, Latvia offers a good combination of skilled workers, reasonable labour costs and business-friendly environment.

"Countries like Italy, France and Germany have their limitations. There are lots of skilled workers in these countries, and it would be easy to start the manufacturing of chillers in Italy. But these workers are expensive and, even though they deliver quality products, they suffer from such social ailments as trying to work less," he notes. "My colleagues have told me that it is perfectly normal for French workers to start the day with an hour-long strike, just to keep the factory management alert."

As to Russia, Boze notes the same problems – with a bunch of their own.
"Unfortunately, Russian workers have lost their high working standards. Good workers are expensive in Russia, and even then you cannot find or keep them."
"Another thing working for Latvia is that here, we are producing in the European Union. It is much easier to organise supplies: our suppliers trust a European company much more than a Russian one. For one, Russian companies can buy parts not for manufacturing, but for unauthorised resale. The level of trust is much higher in Europe."

Finally, Latvia's EU membership makes customs procedures much easier. Instead of clearing customs for every single component, Felzer simply has to clear the finished product.

Boze is also very happy with the quality of Latvia's labour force.

"We were really lucky to assemble a good team very quickly, which is very important. Skilled workers are tricky to find in any market, but we have people who know their job: we do not have to teach them how to weld or solder. They do not know anything about producing chillers, as these are not manufactured here, but they are willing to learn, and they learn fast."

Felzer currently employs about 20 people. As the company is still just starting production, the workers now focus on training and producing the necessary production equipment.

"We try to build ourselves whatever we can. For example, we have built our own chiller test stand which emulates a large building. First, this allows us to save money. Second, we can see how our workers work, and they can practice their skills before moving on to the big assignments."

Toomas Hõbemägi
bbn@aripaev.ee

discuss....

RussiaPrussia
04-19-2013, 02:03 AM
germans go to switzerland because german language is official there and the country describes itself as a multi cultural country for italians, germans, french and ruthenians. In latvia thats not gonna happen as long as russian language is not also official.

Aunt Hilda
04-19-2013, 02:06 AM
germans go to switzerland because german language is official there and the country describes itself as a multi cultural country for italians, germans, french and ruthenians. In latvia thats not gonna happen as long as russian language is not also official.

the vast majority of them speak russian, this is what attracted them to Cyprus, why should latvia be different?

glass
04-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Latvia and other baltic states have bad reputation in Russia, because of their policy towards russianspeaking minority and vocal annoying politicians. Russian businessmen avoid work there/with them unless conditions are too atractive. EU regulations and prejustice against Russia wont make them such. As for language, importing a few russianspeakers isnt really problem also europeans that can speak russian are not that rare

RussiaPrussia
04-19-2013, 03:30 AM
the vast majority of them speak russian, this is what attracted them to Cyprus, why should latvia be different?

cyprus never belonged to russia neither it has 30% russians who have no rights for their language thats why russians dont demand anything from greeks in the first place

Aunt Hilda
04-19-2013, 03:56 AM
cyprus never belonged to russia neither it has 30% russians who have no rights for their language thats why russians don't demand anything from greeks in the first place

with all due respect but I doubt russian oligarchs care.

inactive_member
04-19-2013, 05:30 AM
The company recently started to manufacture air coolers in Riga and currently employs 20 people, with whom Boze is very satisfied, reports bbn, referring to news2biz.

That's a good start.

----

Latvia was a popular destination in old days. It may still have a positive image in the minds of the older generation. Today, Latvia is anything but Switzerland. Economical ties could have been better with Russia. Russia is a large market in which Latvia could sell its products and services but it may not become Russia's Switzerland soon as explained by Hillary Clinton recently addressing new plans to form economical relations with Russia by another Baltic country. See highlighted text below.

Speaker of the Seimas, Vydas Gedvilas, says Lithuania needs to improve its relations with Russia and "take care of our own people", adding that America is very far and Lithuania will not get any gas from there.
"We have to think about our own people as America is far way from us. We need to take care of our own people. We have very close economic relations with Russia. We buy gas, a lot of gas, and electricity, and oil. This cooperation gives us a lot. We're not going to get gas from America," Gedvilas told the Svoboda radio station when asked to comment on a recent statement by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that the United States would resist Russia's plans to create another Soviet Union under the guise of Russia's economic integration.
"We are not the only ones who talk about bilateral relations with Russia. Finland, Poland, and Germany also make a lot of contracts. We also have to solve our problems. So it seems one way from a long distance, and it’s a different view from here when we are neighbors," the speaker said.

Skaitykite daugiau: http://www.15min.lt/en/article/politics/lithuanian-parliament-speaker-lithuania-must-be-friends-with-russia-as-united-states-is-too-far-to-provide-gas-526-293571#ixzz2QsqTMBd7

Russia has bilateral economical relations with many countries except with small vulnberable countries located in the region of geo-political interest of the West.

RussiaPrussia
04-19-2013, 05:42 AM
with all due respect but I doubt russian oligarchs care.

its not rich people who go to switzerland but in general all clases from germany. And yeah they do care.

RussiaPrussia
04-19-2013, 05:44 AM
The company recently started to manufacture air coolers in Riga and currently employs 20 people, with whom Boze is very satisfied, reports bbn, referring to news2biz.

That's a good start.

----

Latvia was a popular destination in old days. It may still have a positive image in the minds of the older generation. Today, Latvia is anything but Switzerland. Economical ties could have been better with Russia. Russia is a large market in which Latvia could sell its products and services but it may not become Russia's Switzerland soon as explained by Hillary Clinton recently addressing new plans to form economical relations with Russia by another Baltic country. See highlighted text below.

Russia has bilateral economical relations with many countries except with small vulnberable countries located in the region of geo-political interest of the West.

let them try china on the east and russia on the west will finally bankrupt this empire, i hope i will live long enough to see that one day.

PeacefulCaribbeanDutch
04-19-2013, 05:48 AM
sadly I think they want to make it russia's ukraine

Burkean
05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Russia doesn't need this rusophobic back-water. We shouldn't waste our time on Latvia and it's affairs. The best economical relation between us could be an abscence of any relation. And yes, I also think that russians should leave Latvia as fast as possible. Close the borders and forever forget about each other.

PeacefulCaribbeanDutch
05-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Latvia is around 40% russian, they just send in immigrants like in ukraine till it becomes 80% then they run for government positions and the country becomes a craphole like ukraine

with a population of 2 million and 40% already russian, they just need to send around 500,000 people to be 60% russian, then they run for government and take over, corrupt it. Sucks, but thats what happened to Ukraine. Latvia and Estonia try hard to not let this happen to them. Estonia does not allow russian to be taught in school for a reason.

05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Russia doesn't need this rusophobic back-water. We shouldn't waste our time on Latvia and it's affairs. The best economical relation between us could be an abscence of any relation. And yes, I also think that russians should leave Latvia as fast as possible. Close the borders and forever forget about each other.

They can leave but do they want??

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
They can leave but do they want??

It's a question of propaganda. But this should be done, the only alternative is a perpetual hatred between our peoples.

PeacefulCaribbeanDutch
05-06-2013, 06:04 PM
there is a war going on inside these countries, a political war, in which the pro russian migration recieve funds from russia and the other side probably from euro and USA, and its tough to win these fights if the population becomes 60% russian then they really can't win unless they make life so good in the country that they integrate and prefer life in the baltic than russia, but still it is hard.

You see Syria will either become a russian colony or a colony of israel and USA, they are fighting a real war there, but once the revolution is done they may have a political battle. This has been repeated in so many countries it is pretty obvious.

Estonia seems to be moving to the western side, while Latvia is unclear, but may go to the east really depends.

Burkean
Latvia is around 40% russian, they just send in immigrants like in ukraine till it becomes 80% then they run for government positions and the country becomes a craphole like ukraine

with a population of 2 million and 40% already russian, they just need to send around 500,000 people to be 60% russian, then they run for government and take over, corrupt it. Sucks, but thats what happened to Ukraine. Latvia and Estonia try hard to not let this happen to them. Estonia does not allow russian to be taught in school for a reason.
Sounds very cowardly) Srsly)

Dacul
Very nice for people in Latvia.

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
there is a war going on inside these countries, a political war, in which the pro russian migration recieve funds from russia and the other side probably from euro and USA, and its tough to win these fights if the population becomes 60% russian then they really can't win unless they make life so good in the country that they integrate and prefer life in the baltic than russia, but still it is hard.

You see Syria will either become a russian colony or a colony of israel and USA, they are fighting a real war there, but once the revolution is done they may have a political battle. This has been repeated in so many countries it is pretty obvious.

Estonia seems to be moving to the western side, while Latvia is unclear, but may go to the east really depends.
I think Latvia historically is much more 'western' than Estonia. Estonians are depressive finnish people. Latvians are semi-germans with german pedantism and baltic/slavic emotionality. So it would be better for them to recover their historical ties with germans and swedes.

Loki
05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Good for Latvia.

Dacul
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I am sorry that I do not know Russian at fluent level.
Russia seems a great country to live in now.
Like United States were around 1920.

Loki
05-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Yes you're right. Such a vast country, they have lots of space to develop, and there are many prospects now.

05-06-2013, 06:13 PM
It's a question of propaganda. But this should be done, the only alternative is a perpetual hatred between our peoples.

Why do you think they can't go to Russia already now? If they feel so persecuted, maybe they would have done this long time ago.

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:18 PM

:facepalm:

Russia was good before the criminal revolts of 1917 when it was compared to the British and German Empires. Nowadays russia is a typical asian dicature with the diversity of resourses. But the material level of life is really good enough.

glass
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Actually baltic countries are being ignored right now. Putin refuses to meet their presidents. State companies do not work with them, many private businessmen too.

Latvia is around 40% russian
:picard1:
26.9% according wikipedia

:picard1:
there is no migration from Russia to those states (might be only thin flow of ethnic balts), because those countries are actually poorer than Russia as whole, and much poorer than cities like Moscow. There is no political war inside Latvia. Most of latvia russians integrated in their society, there are even hign ranked ethnic russian officials, like some ministers, and even mayor of Riga. Like i said before Latvia and Lithuania bark much less than before and want to improve relations with Russia but Russia refuses to do so

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Why do you think they can't go to Russia already now? If they feel so persecuted, maybe they would have done this long time ago.
They don't understand that Latvia is a hostile land for them. They feel as masters but they aren't. And they shoulnd't - Latvia historically gave Russia only communist, revolutionaries, chekists and SS soldiers. The true russian should feel disgust of living on this land.

Mans not hot
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Estonians are depressive finnish people.
:laugh:

Dacul
05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Lol Glasses Baltic states are ignored by Russia?
Than how come 1/3 of what they export is sold in Russia?

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Actually baltic countries are being ignored right now. Putin refuses to meet their presidents. State companies do not work with them, many private businessmen too.
And this is good. But our compatriots are still living there in the judicial position lower than arabic immigrants in the Western Europe. And this is bad. I think that when the economy of Russia will become stronger, we should help them to move in Russia.

glass
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
And this is good. But our compatriots are still living there in the judicial position lower than arabic immigrants in the Western Europe. And this is bad. I think that when the economy of Russia will become stronger, we should help them to move in Russia.
not really Russia (or better say that democratic regime) did not need them 20 years ago. Now most of them got their life sorted in Latvia. I doubt majority of them really want to migrate to Russia right now.

Russia is not totalitarian state private companies still can work with them freely.

Burkean
05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
not really Russia (or better say that democratic regime) did not need them 20 years ago. Now most of them got their life sorted in Latvia. I doubt majority of them really want to migrate to Russia right now.

I agree with this and this is what I am talking about: russians in the Baltic states don't want to deal with the hostility of aborigenes. It's a pity. You should also understand that I consider this issue from the certain ideologocal position and with some prejudices.

05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
They don't understand that Latvia is a hostile land for them.
They don't understand but you who doesn't live there understand it. Congratz for you.

They feel as masters but they aren't.
Of course, they aren't. We, Balts, don't need any saviour master race let it be Germans or Russians or whatever in oud lands, thank you.

And they shoulnd't - Latvia historically gave Russia only communist, revolutionaries, chekists and SS soldiers.
I don't care if Latvia gave anything to Soviet Union, or not. Latvia being incorporated into that Russian shit is not supposed to be a patriotic for Russia. Doh.

The true russian should feel disgust of living on this land.
Yeah, after enjoying privileges of the leading race of SU, that is Russians, I'm sure they must feel so opressed now that they have to bother to learn basic Latvian. What a discrimination, oh my. It must be really hard for them to show signs of brain activity.

I agree with this and this is what I am talking about: russians in the Baltic states don't want to deal with the hostility of aborigenes. It's a pity. You should also understand that I consider this issue from the certain ideologocal position and with some prejudices.

This is not Australia for you. Russians have never been known as more civilized than Balts.

Burkean
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
They don't understand but you who doesn't live there understand it. Congratz for you.

Of course, they aren't. We, Balts, don't need any saviour master race let it be Germans or Russians or whatever in oud lands, thank you.

I don't care if Latvia gave anything to Soviet Union, or not. Latvia being incorporated into that Russian shit is not supposed to be a patriotic for Russia. Doh.

Yeah, after enjoying privileges of the leading race of SU, that is Russians, I'm sure they must feel so opressed now that they have to bother to learn basic Latvian. What a discrimination, oh my. It must be really hard for them to show signs of brain activity.

This is not Australia for you. Russians have never been known as more civilized than Balts.

You are too emotional, my friend. I didn't touch Lithuania so I don't see a matter of disturbance for you.

05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
You are too emotional, my friend. I didn't touch Lithuania so I don't see a matter of disturbance for you.

I'm not emotional. If I were emotional, I would have taken longer time to answer you, It's quite clear what you're seeking (troll), so I do not see any reason to have a normal discussion anyway. What's the point, it's usually clear from the start whether points you present will be taken as worthless or not.

Burkean
05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm not emotional. If I were emotional, I would have taken longer time to answer you, It's quite clear what you're seeking (troll), so I do not see any reason to have a normal discussion anyway. What's the point, it's usually clear from the start whether points you present will be taken as worthless or not.

I am not a troll. My position on Latvia and russians there is quite serious.

glass
05-08-2013, 06:02 AM
kamane, who is on your avatar? This face looks somehow familar to me...

Talvi
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Not sure where you get your info but Russian IS taught in schools. Not only are the schools for Russians in Russian, many Estonian schools have mandatory Russian or sometimes also optional (other option is usually German) Russian classes.

The language shift in Russian schools they are trying to go for is for Russian high schools to be at least 60% in Estonian (This has been planned since we became independent, but so far has been delayed due to their incompetence). Because they are unable to cope outside their Russian communities.

Aunt Hilda
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Not sure where you get your info but Russian IS taught in schools. Not only are the schools for Russians in Russian, many Estonian schools have mandatory Russian or sometimes also optional (other option is usually German) Russian classes.

The language shift in Russian schools they are trying to go for is for Russian high schools to be at least 60% in Estonian (This has been planned since we became independent, but so far has been delayed due to their incompetence). Because they are unable to cope outside their Russian communities.

Honestly, if was a russian immigrant in estonia I would send my children to an estonian school, It's not like they can't speak russian at home. I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

Talvi
05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Honestly, if was a russian immigrant in estonia I would send my children to an estonian school, It's not like they can't speak russian at home. I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

Because they are soviet minded and believe Russia will soon be in power again so theres no need to bother yourself with other languages

Because they think that they are our saviors and it is their god-given right to speak in Russian to anyone, anywhere, otherwise they are being discriminated.

Because Estonian is too difficult and making anyone learn it is discrimination.

Or any other ridiculous reason.

Aunt Hilda
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Because they are soviet minded and believe Russia will soon be in power again so theres no need to bother yourself.

Because they think that they are our saviors and it is their god-given right to speak in Russian to anyone, anywhere, otherwise they are being discriminated.

Or any other ridiculous reason.

it's been over 20 years, lol

Burkean
05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
it's been over 20 years, lol

Post-soviet syndrom is still very strong in these peoples.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:30 PM

That is not gonna happen even IF russian language would become official. Because even in that case Latvia would not be multi-cultural, because if the russian language had officially equal rights with the latvian language, it would in effect mean the domination of russian language over latvian language - and that would be mono-cultural, not multi-cultural.

Switzerland is between 3 more or less equally large neighbours. Swizerland itself is about 1/12th of Germany. Latvia is about 1/70 of Russia. That would also mean that Latvia would have to become even relatively more important financial center. Another issue is financial regulations - Latvia cannot afford such lax regulations that are in effect in Switzerland.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Latvia and other baltic states have bad reputation in Russia, because of their policy towards russianspeaking minority and vocal annoying politicians. Russian businessmen avoid work there/with them unless conditions are too atractive.

Russian oligarchs don't avoid the Baltics. It is just that the Baltics are rather small and can sustain perhaps only 10-20% max of GDP based on Russian money. Any more would become a security risk, since Russian money and business has a habit to align with commands from Kremlin and that has interrupted trade many times in the past, with large losses to those who had dealt wtih Russia and their businessmen. 20% of the Baltics is 1% of Russia, so not that much to speak of anyway.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:39 PM

The Baltics are part of the EU now, so no need to develop official economic relations bilaterally. EU is a much more equal partner in relations with Russia. Unofficial bilateral ties are good for business.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:40 PM

I would even agree with this post, but there is this tiny small issue of WTO, EU common market and the Schengen Area.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Latvia is around 40% russian

Eastern slavs comprise below 1/3 of Latvia's population and below 30% of Estonia's population.
And 1/3 of those are not citizens.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
I think Latvia historically is much more 'western' than Estonia. Estonians are depressive finnish people. Latvians are semi-germans with german pedantism and baltic/slavic emotionality. So it would be better for them to recover their historical ties with germans and swedes.

Ah, the usual indo-aryan BS belief.
FYI, balts are historically much more of continental nature, while western baltic-finns are historically of maritime nature.
The conversion from baltic-finnic to baltic happened faster in the interior, it was much slower near the Baltic coast - curonians and livonians are a prime example. And that means that contrary to your belief, baltic-finns have always had closer ties with swedes and danes and even with germanics. And I very much doubt about your beliefs of mentality. Do you have any references to support your claims?

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 08:05 PM

As to Putin you may be right.
For the rest you are wrong.
Gazprom is very interested in working the Baltics decisionmakers.
There are other examples.

there is no migration from Russia to those states

Based on stats, in recent (5-6) years more russians have moved to Estonia than Estonian russians to Russia.
That is despite the support package given by Estonian government to leave Estonia and the support package by Russian government to host migration from Estonia. Putin's past plans to financially support migration from the Baltics to Russia have failed miserably. I may be wrong, but I recall something in the order of 150 russians getting the Russian government support package. And there are rumours of russians wishing to move back to Estonia. And many actually have done that.

because those countries are actually poorer than Russia as whole

Quite the contrary - it is Russia that is poorer as a whole.
As to the trends, those that leave from Estonia to Russia, only prefer St. Petersburg and Moscow, the rest of Russia is not that attractive to them.

and much poorer than cities like Moscow.

You should compare Moscow with Tallinn and Riga. And leave out the upper decile.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 08:16 PM
They don't understand that Latvia is a hostile land for them. They feel as masters but they aren't. And they shoulnd't - Latvia historically gave Russia only communist, revolutionaries, chekists and SS soldiers. The true russian should feel disgust of living on this land.

Only? You should educate yourself a lot.

http://www.apn.ru/publications/article21603.htm

Так вот, индекс человеческого развития для русских в императорской России равен 0,247, а для нерусских (взвешенный на доле каждого этноса) — 0,301, то есть на 22% выше. Из 14 народов, для которых имеются данные для подсчета индекса человеческого развития, у восьми — евреев, латышей, литовцев, поляков, украинцев, финнов, эстонцев и немцев — индекс был выше, чем у русских, а у пяти — башкир, белорусов, молдаван, татар, чувашей — ниже. Но зато средняя продолжительность жизни у русских (28,7 лет) была ниже не только чем у немцев (45), латышей (45), финнов (44,3), эстонцев (43,1), литовцев (41,8), поляков (41), евреев (39), украинцев (38,1), но и чем у молдаван (40,5), белорусов (36,2), башкир (37,3), татар (34,9), чувашей (31), и ниже средней продолжительности жизни для 14 народов империи (32,4).

Что же касается образования, то к концу XIX века русских, умеющих читать, было 29,3%. Для сравнения: финнов — 98,3%, эстонцев — 94,1%, латышей — 85%, немцев 78,5%, евреев — 50,1%, литовцев — 48,4%, поляков — 41,8%, греков — 36,7%. Из европейских народов империи от русских отставали только белорусы (20,3%) и украинцы (18,9%).

No wonder that the Russian Empire mobilized so much soldiers from the Baltics to the Russo-Japanese War and to the WWI - estonians and latvians could actually read and write and calculate ballistics.

Not to mention that the first university of the Russian Empire was in Tartu, which Peter the Great closed down after the Nordic War and it was reopened only a century later.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 08:21 PM

I don't know about the rest, but 70% of Estonia's exports is to the rest of the EU countries.
And not all of the remaining 30% goes to Russia. Russia's part is just 10-20%.

glass
05-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Based on stats, in recent (5-6) years more russians have moved to Estonia than Estonian russians to Russia.

As far as i know Estonia gives passports to Pskov region inhabitans. May be that is reason? Also some interested in cheap EU passport. But all those "migrants" do not intent to live in Estonia

As to the trends, those that leave from Estonia to Russia, only prefer St. Petersburg and Moscow, the rest of Russia is not that attractive to them.
Yes they most attractive cities in Russia so they are main destination

You should compare Moscow with Tallinn and Riga. And leave out the upper decile.
Neither Tallin nor Riga nor any other east euro country/town no match for Moscow.

Pure ja
05-27-2013, 09:57 PM
As far as i know Estonia gives passports to Pskov region inhabitans. May be that is reason?

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
30-50% of lost Setoland area citizens were setos - so basically estonians. The rest were "russians".
But if it were, those Pskov areas would be bleeding rather badly.

Neither Tallin nor Riga nor any other east euro country/town no match for Moscow.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, IF you discard the upper decile. Or even if one just discards the upper percentile.

glass
05-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Perhaps. Perhaps not.
30-50% of lost Setoland area citizens were setos - so basically estonians. The rest were "russians".
But if it were, those Pskov areas would be bleeding rather badly.

give number of russian migrants pls then we will guess from they come from

I wouldn't be so sure about that, IF you discard the upper decile. Or even if one just discards the upper percentile.
Tallin is 160-170% of Estonia average, so around gdp per capita (PPP) is around$ 33-35k
This is Moscow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP
$50k+ gdp per capita (ppp), even nomibal gdp per capita in Moscow higher than ppp adjusted gdp per capita in Tallin :D
For obvious reasons Riga would look even worse

Pure ja
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
You still have not excluded the upper decile. So your stats are basically meaningless. We all know the Russian oligarchs and their stats-bending abilities.