PDA

View Full Version : Croatia holds its first elections for the European Parliament

Baluarte
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Croatia holds its first elections for the European Parliament

Croatia, set to become the EU's 28th member state, will hold its first elections for the European Parliament on Sunday 14 April. The country with a population of 4.3 million people will elect 12 new MEPs who will take their seats after the formal accession on 1July. EP president Martin Schulz urged Croats to vote: " Parliament carries a lot of responsibility for the European Union and its member states. On election day, go to the ballot box and choose the best."

The elected MEPs will be in office until next year's European elections when their number will be reduced from 12 to 11. Currently, Croatia has 12 observers appointed by the Croatian parliament, reflecting the political composition in the national assembly.

Mr Schulz said: "It is happy news when a family grows, especially our family of values, committed to democracy, justice and the rule of law. Croatia's accession is a major step towards the full reunification of Europe. It will enrich the European Union and open new opportunities for Croatia." He called on Croats to choose parliamentarians who will combine hard work for Europe with making sure that the interests of Croatia are represented.

Croatia applied for EU membership in 2003 and negotiations ended in 2011.

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0VvHZMaTs

Hurrem sultana
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I feel sad for croatians :) EU is now part of you

Szegedist
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
So is Croatia definitely joining? I heard about some issues with Slovenia who might block them. But I am not too up to date on this issue.

Baluarte
04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Slovenia agreed to let them in last week.
Guess the very authonomous Parliament in Ljubljana was ...convinced.

Sisak
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I fell it is a new step / period in Croatian history.
Croatia elected 12 candidates to the EU parliament. The right to vote has 3,738,708 voters residing in Croatia, and 2243 of them without residence in Croatia.

Baluarte
04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, a great step of course....:rolleyes:

Onur
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Imho, not that new step at all.

You were a part of Yugo federation `till 1991 and you are about to join the EU federation after 22 years of independence.

from one subjugation to other after a brief period.

Petros Houhoulis
04-15-2013, 03:39 AM
I feel sad for croatians :) EU is now part of you

How many Bosnians would be begging to be let inside the E.U.?

Petros Houhoulis
04-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Imho, not that new step at all.

You were a part of Yugo federation `till 1991 and you are about to join the EU federation after 22 years of independence.

from one subjugation to other after a brief period.

...But if they joined Davutoglus' Neo-Ottoman empire... Oh joy!

derLowe
04-15-2013, 05:08 AM
Croatia elected 12 candidates to the EU parliament. The right to vote has 3,738,708 voters residing in Croatia, and 2243 of them without residence in Croatia.

It benefits me,so I will support it.