PDA

View Full Version : Is Italy.........

Helios8
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Is Italy actually just a mix of Germany and Greece and they don't really have their own identity? Like the upper 2/3rds of the country is basically Germany and the lower 1/3rd is basically Greece. Is that why theres such a difference between those 2 parts and why its the only country in Europe that when its talked about its talked about separately? It cant be because its a big country because Russia is big too bigger than Italy and people don't say northern Russia this and southern Russia that. No trolls please only people who actually know about Italy

Arbėrori
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
The North are mostly Romanized Germanics & Latins, while the South is Romanized Hellenes & Illyrians.

Baluarte
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
What..the..hell?

Italians don't have a single direct link with Germany. South Tyrol is quite close to Austria, but that's a very unique province.

And the Greek influence in Calabria/Sicily doesn't make them Greek ipso facto x.x They have their own non-Hellenic language, their own cuisine, names, a different religion and a different political tradition.

Furthermore, all the Italian peninsula from Emilia Romagna to Campania/Basilicata is quite distinct from other countries.

What a thread x.x.........

Szegedist
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
:picard2:

RussiaPrussia
04-12-2013, 04:20 PM
no, Sicily up to middle itally is the same, north itally seem to be a bit more mixed with french. Only exception is sardinia

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s666/malaria2000/GeneticMapofEurope_zps6ca57b0d.png

Sikeliot
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
no, Sicily up to middle itally is the same

Not autosomally.

Sikeliot
04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
The North are mostly Romanized Germanics & Latins, while the South is Romanized Hellenes & Illyrians.

Latins were already Romanized.. I would say the north is basically Romanized Occitans and Celts, the center is actually Italic/Roman, and the south is mostly Romanized Hellenes, Illyrians, Phoenicians, etc. depending on the specific area but mostly the first two.

bimo
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
troll thread

Ades
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Italians are Italians.

The south had some greek settlement, and the north was influenced by the Germanic and Celtic invasions, but they are all "just Italian" at most.

They are no mix of German-Greek identity, Italians are their own distinct people.

Sikeliot
04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Italians are Italians.

The south had some greek settlement, and the north was influenced by the Germanic and Celtic invasions, but they are all "just Italian" at most.

They are no mix of German-Greek identity, Italians are their own distinct people.

Well... kind of. Even 600 years ago some parts of south Italy (Calabria, eastern Sicily) were mostly Greek speaking Orthodox Christians and would not have felt like they were the same ethnicity as people in Venice or Tuscany.

Helios8
04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Italians are Italians.

But arent the Italians in Brazil mostly blond and Germanic looking

Twistedmind
04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol at Romanisation of Latins. Latins founded Rome, and Romans spoke Latin language, when some native population adopted Latin they become Romanized. Araberoriri you passed by school at some pont of your life?

Corvus
04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I came to the conclusion that the difference between Northern Italians and Southern Italians is overrated.
Ok there are some Nordic looking individuals among them but that does not turn Northern Italy in a Germanic country.
But what counts more it the mentality. The vast majority of Northern Italians are very emotional people who like to talk, shout, argue
and their mood changes from one hour to the next. This is a very Mediterranian trait you hardly find in Germany.

Geni
04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Do you have 1 idea how many slaves there were in Italy?Millions, from all races. Iberian, Celtic, Greek, Thracian, Dacen, Illyria, Epirus, Macedonia, Berber, Jewish Egyptiane, Arabic, ... without forgetting the invading German tribes .. who settled in Italy .. and this, is only antiquity ... that is to continue from the Middle Ages to modern times ....

Sikeliot
04-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I came to the conclusion that the difference between Northern Italians and Southern Italians is overrated.

I think it is quite pronounced if you compare say, Liguria, Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto etc. to Sicily and Calabria, but if you compare Tuscany to Molise or Abruzzo, the difference is far less.

bimo
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
funny how all non-italian here discuss

is true that italians consider themselves different between them but is not only south/north division but region from region

here in emilia-romagna (north italy) were i live no one consider himself germanic , they know they are a mix of different people , etrurians italics romans celtic and germanics in the east also some minor byzantine influence

Corvus
04-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I think it is quite pronounced if you compare say, Liguria, Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto etc. to Sicily and Calabria, but if you compare Tuscany to Molise or Abruzzo, the difference is far less.

As mentioned I am talking about mentality and temprament first and foremost. Italians belong to the Mediterranian culture and this is reflected by the lifestyle from Alto Adige to Sicily. But ofc there are regional differences too. So in the mountains they are also Alpine influenced.

Comte Arnau
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Ethnicities in 'Italy' in the Iron Age.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Iron_Age_Italy.svg/432px-Iron_Age_Italy.svg.png

Arbėrori
04-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Lol at Romanisation of Latins. Latins founded Rome, and Romans spoke Latin language, when some native population adopted Latin they become Romanized. Araberoriri you passed by school at some pont of your life?

I mentioned them as a population, not a language, you fattie. Romanization doesn't define the Latins only, you dumb, jealous tramp! :rotfl:

Mind your own business, Sclav.

Vesuvian Sky
04-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Most nation states aren't 100% homogenous throughout their geographic extents. Regionalization exists to various degrees but that's no different then anywhere else. One could also argue for overarching similarities. Here's a north vs. south summation for Italy based on various historical demographic patterns that influenced the two regions culturally:

North: Mostly Celtic, Etruscan, Italic, Roman, Germanic (not German though) cultural stratas influenced the region to various degrees.

South: Mostly Greek/Balkan, some Etruscan, Italic, Roman, some Moorish, and some Germanic cultural strata influenced the region to various degrees.

As one can see, there are some cultural stratas that these two regions share more then others, and some which they don't at all which helped to create differentiation but maintain degrees of similarity at the same time.

Diėrker
04-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Italia e sempre stata la nostra terra popoli Italiani e sceso. Mai una volta ha tutti gli invasori tedeschi o se non e arrivato sul nostro territorio.

Peyrol
04-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Ok there are some Nordic looking individuals among them but that does not turn Northern Italy in a Germanic country.
But what counts more it the mentality. The vast majority of Northern Italians are very emotional people who like to talk, shout, argue
and their mood changes from one hour to the next. This is a very Mediterranian trait you hardly find in Germany.

That's maybe because actually 60% of northen italian population is composed by second generation southerners...?