PDA

View Full Version : More animals spreading to Denmark

Baluarte
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Since there is no forum for Denmark, I figured I'd post it here since Norway was part of the same country 200 years ago.

Here is a very interesting note I found about Danish fauna:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More animals spreading to Denmark

Moose and bear could be the next fixtures in the nation’s natural environment

Within the last few months Denmark has seen a return of the wolf and the wild boar after a 200-year absence and according to Jens-Christian Svenning, a professor of bio-diversity at the University of Aarhus, it’s just the beginning.

“The lynx and the bear are both thriving in Europe and I don’t think that any of the big mammals are struggling at the moment,” Svenning told DR News.

One of the first new arrivals could be the moose, Svenning said. “Their population is growing in Germany. They are good swimmers and they are good travellers.”

A moose was recently spotted near Berlin and in 1999 a Swedish moose swam to Denmark across the Øresund.

In principle, bears could also live in Denmark. Bears, like other large European mammals, are able to survive in most conditions, and biologists say this is why many of them flourish despite human contact.

“We don’t hunt them to extinction like we used to and most of them, generally speaking, have strong abilities to spread, as we have seen with the wolf,” Svenning said.

Denmark is already home to European bison and wild horses, but those populations were intentionally released and inhabit confined areas.

Even though Denmark is a small country, Svenning reckoned that space won’t ultimately be an issue. He pointed out that European farmers, facing competition from abroad, abandon about a million hectares of unprofitable agricultural land each year. Left uncultivated, that land could become wildlife areas.

“It doesn’t happen as much in Denmark, but it does happen, and in the long term that could provide more space for the animals,” Svenning said.

While the return of the wolf and wild boar has been positively received by many scientists, not everyone is thrilled.

Pig farmers feel the wild boars are a threat to their business because they carry swine fever. Meanwhile, in February, a wolf was blamed for mauling a number of sheep in Jutland, awaking popular animosity towards the animals. According to the Danish Centre for Environment and Energy (DCE), however, those fears are groundless.

“As long as we make sure that the wolves remain shy and their population matches their food resources so they don’t need to seek out humans, then wolves can’t be considered dangerous to people,” Aksel Bo Madsen, a biologist with the DCE, wrote in an evaluation for the Environment Ministry.

DCE admitted that wolves have been known to attack humans, but indicated that the majority of them did so because they were infected with rabies.

Svenning is something of an optimist when it comes to animal migration. In March, he told MetroXpress newspaper that large mammals, such as elephants, rhinos and lions could all become a natural part of the Danish landscape.

“With creative management and some considerable nature reserves, like national parks, elephants could be a possibility,” he said. “I think there are fine opportunities available to obtain a richer and more diverse population of large animals in Denmark again.”

--------------------------

Thanks for reading ^.^

Dacul
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought the thread is about the increasing number of Pakis from there.
But I was wrong.

Baluarte
04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
No, I do love this kind of thing.
I was in Copenhagen 2 months ago and I really loved it, even with all the snow. I find European forests very charming and seeing wild life flourish is a very good sight.

Albion
04-12-2013, 10:39 PM
This is good. In Britain we have bird species previously confined to France spreading here naturally, and some reintroduced mammals too. The interesting ones like beavers, bears and wolves aren't going to be reintroduced any time soon though - the farming lobby is too set against it. Wild boars have actually re-established themselves though, they escaped from farms and are running wild in much of Southern England where they belong. They have no official status - neither pest nor protected and the government is reluctant to classify them to break the status quo because they fear a backlash from farmers (against them) or the public (in favour).
Interesting article though, Denmark is essentially very much like Lowland England - a few scattered woodlands, lots of arable farmland, some pasture and scattered villages everywhere. The climate, flora and fauna are very similar too.

Denmark is already home to European bison and wild horses, but those populations were intentionally released and inhabit confined areas.

I disagree with releasing the "wild horses". These will be Konik ponies, intentionally bred to look like wild horses, but a recent creation and not really wild. Truly wild horses and Dorset, Dartmoor and New Forest Ponies, they are as close to wild horses as you can get in NW Europe.

Even though Denmark is a small country, Svenning reckoned that space won’t ultimately be an issue. He pointed out that European farmers, facing competition from abroad, abandon about a million hectares of unprofitable agricultural land each year. Left uncultivated, that land could become wildlife areas.

That's not good, but CAP subsidies create this situation by propping up the competition and creating an unfair market. But at least some should return to nature, although in England during the boom years it was sold to people to keep horses. In 2008 the market crashed along with everyone else, people sold their horses and prices plummeted. The demand for them isn't the same any more, but rich middle and upper class people are still buying up land as an investment whilst doing nothing with it! :mad:
Some poorer farmland should be intentionally turned back to nature - streams and ponds restored, native woodlands and wildflower meadows planted, heaths and moors in some areas supported into growing.
In the UK, much of our poorer farmland is former moorland that would revert to scrubby upland woodlands dominated by Hawthorn, Birch and Rowan, or it is land on floodplains that would become wetlands and would become semi-forested.

In Denmark, much of the land is over sand and would revert to similar conditions - heathlands reminiscent of those in Southern England. These are important habitats in Northern Europe - practically all reptiles found in Northern Europe rely on heaths and moors, whilst many bird and insect species at the north most part of their range are found in them. This is because heaths become very hot very fast and stay that way all summer, they are warm habitats in cool countries.

Svenning is something of an optimist when it comes to animal migration. In March, he told MetroXpress newspaper that large mammals, such as elephants, rhinos and lions could all become a natural part of the Danish landscape.

And then, as ever, some retards always have to go and say something stupid. :picard1:

“With creative management and some considerable nature reserves, like national parks, elephants could be a possibility,” he said. “I think there are fine opportunities available to obtain a richer and more diverse population of large animals in Denmark again.”

They belong in a zoo, they are not naturally found in northern Eurasia, let alone Denmark. Lions were once found in Southern Europe (they were the same species as the endangered Asian Lion), but never further north than the Balkans. Flora and fauna from Siberia isn't so bad since it will likely reach Denmark in a few thousand years anyway and the conditions aren't too different, but when someone suggests animals from the African Savanna it just gets ridiculous.

Albion
04-12-2013, 10:58 PM
No, I do love this kind of thing.
I was in Copenhagen 2 months ago and I really loved it, even with all the snow. I find European forests very charming and seeing wild life flourish is a very good sight.

Indeed. I went out today in the countryside and it was quite warm, and the first thing I noticed was the musty smell of wood and vegetation. You don't notice it, but after such a long winter I'd missed it.
I like deciduous woodlands where the trees aren't too crowded, where light reaches the ground and wildflowers like bluebells grow.
Moorlands are great too. Photos never really portray what they're really like, there is so much in them to find interest in - rare plants growing in extreme conditions. They're usually isolated and very beautiful places.

Moors are great. They're depopulated and the only farming is a few hill farms with sheep. The environment in them gets hot in summer and very cold in winter, but can rain any time of year and typically they are very wet. The flora is specialized to acidic, nutrient-poor soils and cold conditions. The moors contrast greatly with the fertile, gentle, farmed English lowlands.

http://www.helwithbridgeinn.co.uk/js/plugins/imagemanager/files/P5030009.JPG

http://www.peakroutes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/kinder_scout_crowden_clough_1.jpg

http://www.peakroutes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/kinder_scout_grindsbrook_down_dec12.jpg

http://www.peakroutes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/kinder_scout_grindsbrook_up_dec12.jpg

Woods in the lowlands, especially the damp ones we have alongside rivers and streams in western England are great too. In spring they're full of bluebells whilst in summer they stink of garlic as the ramsons (related to onions and garlic - edible) begin to take over.

http://www.cotonmanor.co.uk/images/bluebells/bluebell_wood-coton_manor.jpg

hhttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MrEJAK8BzEs/TAPFDwLu2RI/AAAAAAAADDM/S9oUlVAJOs4/s1600/Ramsons+at+Grubbins+(Large).JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Blooming_wild_garlic.jpg
[i]Ramsons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_ursinum) everywhere! This is like the woods I used to play in as a kid, down by the rivers. We weren't over-pampered brats with games consoles, all I had was a PS1 and they were crap. :D [/img]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Allium_ursinum_MdE_1.jpg

http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/data/media/3/bodmin-moor-sheep.jpg
[i]Hawthorn - it's everywhere in England in the form of hedges, although I think it's originally a upland plant since that's where it seems to thrive and uplands are the only places I see it grow on its own without being planted (it takes over some parts of the uplands to make small woodlands)[i]

Pallantides
04-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Moved to the Danish forum section.

since Norway was part of the same country 200 years ago.

Norway and Denmark were not the same country, we were in a union.

TheNepenthe
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought the thread is about the increasing number of Pakis from there.
But I was wrong.

Most people know better than to insult animals in such a manner.