PDA

View Full Version : Which Sicilian Aprician is the Most Typically "Sicilian-looking" Sicilian?

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
There are others that we do not have photographs for, so the battle will consist of Sikeliot vs. Sicilianu101 vs. Alfieb. All three members have given permission for these three photographs to be used in this thread. [Edit: photos removed]

Sicilianu101 (Messinese [Eastern Sicilian])

Sikeliot (Messinese [Eastern Sicilian])

Alfieb (Palermitan and Trapanese [Western Sicilian])

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't even have Sicily in my name like those two, so I'm at a distinct disadvantage.

BUT, two of my three photos were taken in Sicily, so there! (Palermo and Messina, to be exact)

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Depends on what people think Sicilian looks like.

If people think it's Greek, I win.
If people think it's Levantine, Sicilianu wins.
If people think it's neither but just an ambiguous swarthoid, then you win.

Baluarte
04-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Hmmm....I'd say Sicilianu and yourself are quite typical, but I'll choose Sicilianu since he has a distinctive Greek/Med Islander look, whereas you can fit in continental Italy and maybe the Southwest Europe

Not Sikeliot

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Alfie and then you, even if you IMHO look more lucanian or apulian.

Maleficent
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Alfieb looks distinctly Southern Italian/Sicilian.
Sikeliot looks Greek.
Sicilianu looks Jewish, Palestinian, Cypriot, Lebanese, or Syrian.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I personally think alfieb looks more Sardinian or Iberian and not Sicilian.
I think the remaining two of us fit better, but depending on whether one thinks Sicilian looks more Greek or more Levantine.

Alfieb looks distinctly Southern Italian/Sicilian.

You don't think he looks more Iberian?

Baluarte
04-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I think I could pass as Sicilian too :P

Virtuous
04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Cazz nun sono elegibile per partecipare :|

Sikeliot
I think I could pass as Sicilian too :P

Kind of.

Sikeliot
Cazz nun sono elegibile per partecipare :|

If you wanted to you should have said so and we would have included you.

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Alfieb, you look the most typical Sicilian. Your user name is not very relevant. Not all Sicilians resemble Greeks (in fact, most Western Sicilians don't). It's just a silly stereotype. Sikeliot has a pan-Southern European look. Sicilianu looks rather exotic.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Well I guess people think Sicilian looks Sardinian and Iberian then, if they think alfieb looks it more than the other two of us.

Lux Aeterna
04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
I may not be completely objective, but I voted for the alpinoid just to show my support :D :thumbs

Baluarte
If I didn't know him, I'd think alfieb is Italian rather than Spanish. Don't get why you say that...visit the terrain.

alfieb
People who don't know our history would probably vote against Malta out of ignorance anyway. :picard2:

Anthropologique
04-13-2013, 07:19 PM
I think the remaining two of us fit better, but depending on whether one thinks Sicilian looks more Greek or more Levantine.

Not typical for Iberian. He looks Sicilian or Calabrian, IMO

Anthropologique
04-13-2013, 07:20 PM
^^

Posting mistake.

He looks Sicilian or Calabrian. Not typical Iberian.

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 07:21 PM

PS. random people in the streets of Palermo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3ClXCNRBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vea7bGroSNY

Baluarte
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
^^

Posting mistake.

He looks Sicilian or Calabrian. Not typical Iberian.

Agree with you.
I do think from Rome southwards he passes perfectly.

kabeiros
We should make a composite of the three of you, that would be the most stereotypical Sicilian face in the world. :D

Sikeliot
The people in the Palermo video look a bit Ashkenazi ranging to Northern Italian and East Med.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:23 PM
If I didn't know him, I'd think alfieb is Italian rather than Spanish. Don't get why you say that...visit the terrain.

That sort of nose and facial structure is more common in Iberia.

Baluarte
04-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Sikeliot has Polish and Portuguese blood. It shows he's not pure South Italian.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Sikeliot has Polish and Portuguese blood. It shows he's not pure South Italian.

And I look less Iberian than does alfieb. I even have 1/8 Sardinian in there too and I still don't look West Med.

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 07:24 PM
The people in the Palermo video look a bit Ashkenazi ranging to Northern Italian and East Med.

They absorbed people from all the island (and some tunisians) since the '60s, so it isn't surprising.

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:25 PM
And I look less Iberian than does alfieb. I even have 1/8 Sardinian in there too and I still don't look West Med.

The Greek is strong in this one.

Baluarte
Probably. Still doesn't change the fact alfieb looks more Italic than Spanish. And having a large amount of acquaintances and friends from both places I can assure you that.

Anthropologique

Alfieb doesn't look Iberian to me.

Sikeliot
The Greek is strong in this one.

My look or my personality?

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Alfieb doesn't look Iberian to me.

He does. Most Sicilians and other people from that area (Calabria, Malta) have convex features, and flat features and wide-spaced eyes are much more common amongst Iberians, Sardinians, and even Berbers.

Anthropologique
04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Yes, VERY RECENT admixture.

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:27 PM
My look or my personality?

Your look. I'd never guess you as Portuguese, and I'd figure you for a Polack even less.

Anthropologique
04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
He does. Most Sicilians and other people from that area (Calabria, Malta) have convex features, and flat features and wide-spaced eyes are much more common amongst Iberians, Sardinians, and even Berbers.

That may be but overall I just can't place him in Spain or Portugal.

Baluarte
God x.x

His jawline, lips and cheeks are more Italian than Spanish. I'm sure any other person from Portugal/Spain or even France will think the same.

Sikeliot
Your look. I'd never guess you as Portuguese, and I'd figure you for a Polack even less.

But you look more Iberian than me, so by converse, you should theoretically look less Sicilian.

Lux Aeterna
An advantage alfie has is the backslick hair - very Sicilian mafioso style :cool:

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
An advantage alfie has is the backslick hair - very Sicilian mafioso style :cool:

I think it's the widow's peak that makes it work.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
If going by pure genetics, Sicilianu101 is the only one of us who clusters where Sicilians should cluster, so it logically should be him.

I'd like to do a thread seeing which of us passes best in Iberia too.

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
You'd win in Greece and Elbonia. He'd win in Swarthistan, and I'd win anywhere in Western Europe. :nod:

Turkey is the one I'm not sure of.

Baluarte
Sicilianu clusters the best?
I said it! I win

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Peyrol
Alfie is also the only one who can speak sicilian (and obviously standard italian)...vero Fredo? Bisogna imparare e conoscere la lingua madre. :p

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
If going by pure genetics, Sicilianu101 is the only one of us who clusters where Sicilians should cluster, so it logically should be him.

I'd like to do a thread seeing which of us passes best in Iberia too.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to know which one of you three fit best in Iberia. Some might say no, but I think many Sicilians and S. Italians can at least pass for atypical Iberians.

alfieb
Sicilianu speaks sicilianu (lol.) as well. As does Malta. Sunphq only speaks Italian. Sikeliot only English.

Sikeliot
You'd win in Greece and Elbonia. He'd win in Swarthistan, and I'd win anywhere in Western Europe. :nod:

Then I can't imagine why anyone would think you look more Sicilian if I look more Greek, since more of us look Greek than Western European.

Although I also think of the three, you fit best in the Maghreb.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it'd be interesting to know which one of you three fit best in Iberia. Some might say no, but I think many Sicilians and S. Italians can at least pass for atypical Iberians.

I think that the ones who look "generically Med" can pass in both places (people like Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas), but horsy looking Iberians and woggy looking Sicilians cannot be confused.

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Did he just say I looked like a horse? :mmmm:

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Did he just say I looked like a horse? :mmmm:

No. :lol: You don't look horsy. But some Iberians do. When I say you look Iberian I mean the pseudo North African looking Berid types, not the horsy Atlantids who look like pigmented Brits.

I'd think you looked more Sicilian if you had a pointy nose.

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Sicilianu speaks sicilianu (lol.) as well. As does Malta. Sunphq only speaks Italian. Sikeliot only English.

...and what about the marranzanu? Did you ever played a solo like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9RaJGgO0k

One of my sicilian classmates in Highschool gave me one of these instruments....i like a lot this sound.

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I think that the ones who look "generically Med" can pass in both places (people like Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas), but horsy looking Iberians and woggy looking Sicilians cannot be confused.

I agree with you. Pan-Mediterranean types like Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas, and perhaps Inma Cuesta (look her up) can pass as any Mediterranean European, even Greeks!

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:44 PM
It's the horsy Atlantid types who can't pass elsewhere in Southern Europe.

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
1:15 best part...:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPLybrRnp0

kabeiros
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with you. Pan-Mediterranean types like Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas, and perhaps Inma Cuesta (look her up) can pass as any Mediterranean European, even Greeks! A lot of Spanish people can pass as Greeks, not just the swarthy types that you mention. I don't get the surprise that ''even Greeks'' indicates

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Where are Tyfani, Linet, TehSaint and the other Greeks? I want their opinion.

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
...and what about the marranzanu? Did you ever played a solo like this?

In English, I think they call the marranzanu the jew harp.

I only learned keyboard, recorder, trumpet. School band required the latter two, and my love of Guns N' Roses provoked the first.

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
It's the horsy Atlantid types who can't pass elsewhere in Southern Europe.

Those horsy types would pass as Welsh, Irish, and some Scottish. Even horsy Iberians can't fit in England, at least not typical.

Damiăo de Góis
04-13-2013, 07:49 PM
A lot of Spanish people can pass as Greeks, not just the swarthy types that you mention. I don't get the surprise that ''even Greeks'' indicates

Perhaps because Greece is far away?

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 07:49 PM
A lot of Spanish people can pass as Greeks, not just the swarthy types that you mention. I don't get the surprise that ''even Greeks'' indicates

Atlanto-Med Iberians and Pontid Greeks can be confused for one another, too. Even if a trained eye can tell the difference.

kabeiros
04-13-2013, 07:51 PM
1:15 best part...:laugh: Sicilians know how to protect their women ;)

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Alex DeLarge, Greece is far away from Portugal, yes. But Spain (especially Catalonia, Valencian community, and Balearic Islands), not really. Greece and Spain are geographically not that far away. Greece is closer to Spain than Iran, Iraq, most of Syria, Armenia, Azerbaijan and even Turkish Kurdistan!

alfieb
04-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Sicilians know how to protect their women ;)

Na carusa siciliana nun ha bisognu ri prutezzioni.

kabeiros
04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Na carusa siciliana nun ha bisognu ri prutezzioni. Does this mean ''Sicilians know how to protect their woman''?

alfieb
04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Fun Fact: Autonomists and Secessionists in Sicily now refer to themselves "sicilianisti".

Therefore, the poll could technically be "Which Sicilian sicilianist is the Sicilian-est?" :lol:

Does this mean ''Sicilians know how to protect their woman''?

No. A Sicilian woman does not need protection.

Baluarte
04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Funny enough I understood it all :)

alfieb
04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
A Sicilian woman does not need protection.

Actually, I had wrote girl. Fimmina is woman.

Peyrol
04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Does this mean ''Sicilians know how to protect their woman''?

No, it mean ''a sicilian girl don't need any protection''

Let's compare sicilian, standard italian and piemontese traslations:

Sicilian: Na carusa siciliana nun ha bisognu ri prutezzioni.
Standard Italian: Una donna siciliana non ha bisogno di protezioni
Piemontese: Na fomna sicula as pas bisogna'nen prutesiouns.

...how amazing are our internal linguistical differences...

Mortimer
04-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Sicilianu id say.

dralos
04-13-2013, 08:07 PM
alfieb offc he has that killer look :p

Pallantides
04-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Inquiring Mind, but since he is not actually Sicilian I guess he don't count.

Sikeliot
04-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Btw in alfieb's classification thread, most people did pick Sicilian and Greek so I seem to be the only one adamantly maintaining he looks so Iberian.

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Btw in alfieb's classification thread, most people did pick Sicilian and Greek so I seem to be the only one adamantly maintaining he looks so Iberian.

You're not the only one. I think Alfieb looks Iberian too. Sure Anthropologique disagrees, but he's just a bit nationalistic. I don't think Alfieb looks Greek. He doesn't look North African either. He has a unique Italian look found in the Central and Southern parts of Italy (Italic peoples).

alfieb
04-13-2013, 08:48 PM

I did get a few non-troll North African votes, and some Spanish as well. What's clear is that I don't look very Levantine, while Sicilianu101 does.

kabeiros
04-13-2013, 10:45 PM
No, it mean ''a sicilian girl don't need any protection''

Let's compare sicilian, standard italian and piemontese traslations:

Sicilian: Na carusa siciliana nun ha bisognu ri prutezzioni.
Standard Italian: Una donna siciliana non ha bisogno di protezioni
Piemontese: Na fomna sicula as pas bisogna'nen prutesiouns.

...how amazing are our internal linguistical differences...
Is Sicilian closer to standard Italian than Piemontese?

Damiăo de Góis
04-13-2013, 10:47 PM

You're not the only one. I think Alfieb looks Iberian too. Sure Anthropologique disagrees, but he's just a bit nationalistic. I don't think Alfieb looks Greek. He doesn't look North African either. He has a unique Italian look found in the Central and Southern parts of Italy (Italic peoples).

He could be iberian, but he doesn't look like one.

riverman
04-13-2013, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't guess sikeliot as greek or Sicilian, I seem to be the only one who notices the other influences, and sicilianu I might guess as greek, so prob alfieb.

Anthropologique
04-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Have you ever been to Sicily, Spain and Portugal? Alfieb looks S. Italian.

Nationalistic? I'm more than half Breton! :rolleyes2:

riverman
04-13-2013, 11:21 PM

People shouldn't put their pics up unless they want honest answers. the funniest thing is when you're correct about your guess/estimation and it still ticks them off because it isn't what they want to hear.:lol:

Newsboy
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM

I've met lots of Sicilians, and Portuguese. I've also met a good number of South Americans of Spanish origin.

Well Sorry sir, I said you were a little bit nationalistic. You are just patriotic, that's all. Did I say Alfieb only looks Iberian? He obviously looks more S. Italian than Iberian because that's what he is. He looks more Iberian than Arab!

alfieb
04-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Would you also say that Sicilianu looks s. italian, then spanish, then arab?

riverman
04-14-2013, 12:00 AM

I wouldn't. perhaps some type of middle east before Spanish though, IMO

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Is Sicilian closer to standard Italian than Piemontese?

They're both different but sicilian is slightly more similar since is a eastern romance language, as standard italian (standard italian is the tuscan spoken in the XIII-XV centuries), while piemontese is a western one, a gallo-romance language precisely.

Slycooper
04-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Close between Sikelot and Sicilianu

Newsboy
04-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Yes Alfieb, I would. The Middle Easterners I would place before Spanish would be Sephardic Jews and maybe Assyrian, but not Arabs.

Anthropologique
04-14-2013, 03:21 AM
I've met lots of Sicilians, and Portuguese. I've also met a good number of South Americans of Spanish origin.

Well Sorry sir, I said you were a little bit nationalistic. You are just patriotic, that's all. Did I say Alfieb only looks Iberian? He obviously looks more S. Italian than Iberian because that's what he is. He looks more Iberian than Arab!

It's obvious you know little about Europeans - maybe you are just politely trolling, if that's even possible - You're 19, from China and have met all these Sicilians and Portuguese, etc. Sure, sure. Come on guy... Take a look at all the group photos of ethnicities - the differences are real.:bored:

Of course Alfieb looks MUCH more S. ITALIAN than Arab, but not Iberian.

Smaug
04-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Sicilianu I think, but I'm not an expert in Sicilian looks.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Realistically it's a bit more like asking "Which one looks most STEREOTYPICALLY Sicilian" since, let's be real. Almost anyone can pass as Sicilian, at least most Southern Euros and Middle Easterners.

Sicilianu101 to me looks the most Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian, but he doesn't look Greek for the record. I think I am the only one of the three who does look Greek.

And I am surprised almost no one thinks alfieb looks Iberian but me.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 04:21 AM

Lebanese/Syrian/Palestinian > Cypriot > Sicilian > Egyptian all before Spanish.

rashka
04-14-2013, 04:21 AM
AlfieB looks the most like a Sicilian. And no doubt about it Sikeliot looks Greek.

alfieb
04-14-2013, 04:28 AM
AlfieB looks the most like a Sicilian. And no doubt about it Sikeliot looks Greek.
So, by extension, it sounds to me that what people consider the "Sicilian" look is Western Sicilian, rather than Eastern Sicilian.

rashka
04-14-2013, 04:46 AM
What would this guy be - east or west Sicily?
http://timeglobalspin.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/italy_mafia_1010.jpg?w=580

Lemon Kush
04-14-2013, 05:10 AM
I think Alfieb wins the title of Don Corleone here. The typical Sicilian mafiosos have a robust build similar to his. Sikeliot and Sicilianu are too weak and gracile.

Mans not hot
04-14-2013, 05:27 AM
I voted Afieb.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:03 AM
So if I look Greek and people are not picking me, people must not think Sicilian looks Greek.

And if people are picking (Levantine looking) Sicilianu101, people must also think that look comes closer than Greek does.

riverman
04-14-2013, 06:11 AM
So, by extension, it sounds to me that what people consider the "Sicilian" look is Western Sicilian, rather than Eastern Sicilian.

IDK, sicilianu looks Sicilian to me

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:18 AM

I don't think that is an accurate deduction. Because the "western Sicilian" look is a mixture of Levantine and Norman, which comes out kind of Ashkenazi looking.

But really anyone can pass for Sicilian. I think you fit the stereotype best of what people see in movies, but in terms of sheer number, I'd be more common in eastern Sicily and in the west, people wouldn't look like either of us.

alfieb
04-14-2013, 06:33 AM
I don't think that is an accurate deduction. Because the "western Sicilian" look is a mixture of Levantine and Norman, which comes out kind of Ashkenazi looking.

But really anyone can pass for Sicilian. I think you fit the stereotype best of what people see in movies, but in terms of sheer number, I'd be more common in eastern Sicily and in the west, people wouldn't look like either of us.

Maybe.

Both Pacino and I can pass for Ashkenazi.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Both Pacino and I can pass for Ashkenazi.

Have you been mistaken for one in real life?

I've accepted my classification for you is completely inaccurate by this point :p
I've never been told Ashkenazi but I have been told Sephardi for me.

riverman
04-14-2013, 06:45 AM

I've accepted my classification for you is completely inaccurate by this point :p
I've never been told Ashkenazi but I have been told Sephardi for me.

Actually I said I might guess you as askenaz or part ashkenaz, in a pm

riverman
04-14-2013, 06:46 AM
oh you said irl nevermind

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Actually I said I might guess you as askenaz or part ashkenaz, in a pm

I know some who look like me, but I don't look stereotypically Ashkenazi.

Realistically though this is what I realize -- MOST Southern Europeans and Middle Easterners can pass as Sicilian, whether typical or not. It's not hard to pass there :p

alfieb
04-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Yeah. Quite a few times. In New York, nearly all the Jews are Ashkenazi, and I've been confused for Jewish more than anything else.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Yeah. Quite a few times. In New York, nearly all the Jews are Ashkenazi, and I've been confused for Jewish more than anything else.

Ahh. :) Well, given your western Sicilian origins, and your DNA results came out like a Norman/Levantine mix (I believe that's what you indicated), it's not a surprise.

Sunphq
04-14-2013, 07:08 AM
I can't be bothered to read through the entire thread, but I'd say all three of you. You all fit within the spectrum of looks found in Sicily.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 07:09 AM
I can't be bothered to read through the entire thread, but I'd say all three of you. You all fit within the spectrum of looks found in Sicily.

It's too bad we haven't seen your picture. You once said you looked it more than any of us :p

This guy IMO is the most typical "Sicilian" look, not based on stereotype but he doesn't really look much like any of us three. What do you say?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/29002_4890438573436_1041483665_n.jpg

Sunphq
04-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I think Alfieb wins the title of Don Corleone here. The typical Sicilian mafiosos have a robust build similar to his. Sikeliot and Sicilianu are too weak and gracile.

A lot of Sicilians are gracile, my father and my grandfather are/were. I am too.

alfieb
04-14-2013, 07:11 AM
He's Messinese like the rest of you. He'd lose to me as well. Only Malta is more Sicilian than I! :thumb001:

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 07:12 AM
A lot of Sicilians are gracile, my father and my grandfather are/were. I am too.

The stereotype is someone who is short, round, and robust. I am very thin and small :lol:

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
He's Messinese like the rest of you. He'd lose to me as well. Only Malta is more Sicilian than I! :thumb001:

I think you and Malta are typologically more similar, and Sicilianu and I are more typologically similar. And it makes sense since Maltese people come from western Sicily, not east. So do all of their common surnames. Farrugia, Camilleri, Vassallo, Vella, Spiteri, are all western Sicilian surnames. :)

Sunphq
04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
This guy IMO is the most typical "Sicilian" look, not based on stereotype but he doesn't really look much like any of us three. What do you say?

He does look very Sicilian, the eye shape, my father has that eye shape, I do aswell. But I think Sicilians vary enough that all your looks are found quite commonly.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 07:18 AM
He does look very Sicilian, the eye shape, my father has that eye shape, I do aswell. But I think Sicilians vary enough that all your looks are found quite commonly.

That eye shape is also common amongst Ashkenazis. But I think you're right -- after all, according to what people have answered to some of my threads, everything from Portugal to Kurdistan can pass in Sicily.

alfieb
04-14-2013, 07:22 AM
I think you and Malta are typologically more similar, and Sicilianu and I are more typologically similar. And it makes sense since Maltese people come from western Sicily, not east. So do all of their common surnames. Farrugia, Camilleri, Vassallo, Vella, Spiteri, are all western Sicilian surnames. :)

Indeed. His surname in particular originates in northern Caltanissetta, not far from my family.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Indeed. His surname in particular originates in northern Caltanissetta, not far from my family.

It also is present in Agrigento. I think, having looked them up, that the largest number of Maltese surnames come from Agrigento, then Caltanissetta, then Palermo.

Anything ending in -eri tends to come from Agrigento, whereas Vassallo and Farrugia come from Palermo.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I'll say one more thing. It's funny how our appearances tend to coincide with the groups we identify with most strongly. Sicilianu101, from what I gather, identifies strongly with Arabs and low and behold, he passes as Levantine easily. I identify very strongly with my Ancient Greek roots and I am very Hellenocentric and what do you know, I look very Greek. alfieb from what I gather identifies with Sicily as a collective more than with any one particular aspect of our cultural and ancestral heritage, and identifies very strongly with Malta and passes quite well amongst Maltese (and is actually similar facially to MaltaFalzon if you compare eye and nose shape).

alfieb
04-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Part of it is coincidence and part is by design.

If someone looks Greek, comes from some Greek ancestry, and studies Greece, they're likely to be a hellenophile.

If someone looks Arab, comes from some Arab ancestry, and studies Middle Eastern history and the history of Sicily under the Arabs, they're likely to appreciate that more.

Unlike the rest of you guys, including Sunphq, my family don't come from Messina - or even from one province at all. It's nearly a two hour drive from my mother's family to my father's. So, of course if someone is going to embrace the entirety of Sicily, it's going to be me. I've spent more time on Sicilian highways than the average Italian has in Sicily at all.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
It may have been you who said it, or I may have read it elsewhere, that people in Palermo and Catania are rivals, and that Palermitans find the Greek mindset of the eastern part of the island to be quite foreign to them and to their own historical narrative. And it does make sense. Eastern Sicilians are basically transplanted Greeks, and have less reason to think about Normans, for instance, than someone from the northwest of the island does.

Baldur
04-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I wonder why u ask people since u seem to be insulted that people choose alfieb over yourself Sikeliot, and i think most people here haven't even seen many sicilians in their life, so sorry i cant even answer as i have no idea how a sicilian is supposed to look like.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 08:57 AM
I wonder why u ask people since u seem to be insulted that people choose alfieb over yourself Sikeliot,

I'm not offended. As we know, the "Sicilian look" to me is Catania, Messina, Enna, and Syracuse. Palermo and Trapani, where alfieb has his family, are foreign land to me :p Catania and Palermo are rivals btw, both being the two largest provinces in population with Palermo representing the west of the island and Catania the east. So it's more that I naturally want an eastern Sicilian face to represent us first. ;)

alfieb
04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Catania is the economic capital of Sicily, and was the royal capital during the Aragonese rule.
Palermo is the political capital, and the largest city.

Catania is the heart of the East, right near Mt. Etna.
Palermo is the heart of the West, indeed the only large city we have.

Catania's football team is in Italy's top league.
Palermo's football team is in Italy's top league.

When they meet, it sometimes has deadly consequences. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Catania_football_violence)

But, Palermo may be relegated to Serie B at the end of the season, so the Etnean Elephants can rejoice.

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Rarely in the east you can see people with the facial features of Bernardo Provenzano or Ignazio La Russa...''only in Palermo''.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/thumb/7/78/Bprovenzano.jpg/250px-Bprovenzano.jpg

http://www.fratelli-italiapiemonte.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/La-Russa.jpg

(someone here, obviously not an italian, told me that Provenzano has something ''baltid'' and La Russa look french...)

Btw, the palermitan reporter Pif look quite pansicilian

http://www.improntadigitale.org/public/dblog/report/pif%20.jpg

Dombra
04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Alfied looks the way way a real pizza baking brute would look

Baluarte
04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
It's obvious you know little about Europeans - maybe you are just politely trolling, if that's even possible - You're 19, from China and have met all these Sicilians and Portuguese, etc. Sure, sure. Come on guy... Take a look at all the group photos of ethnicities - the differences are real.:bored:

I've never understood why you're so aggressive when giving your opinion about this anthro shit. At the end of the day, people just give an impression they don't truly care about. Relax x.x...

That's why,with all your great and epic knowledge of anthropology, it starts to be vexing to read you.

Baluarte
04-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Btw, it also comes to allure and expression.

While both Sicilianu and alfieb have an Italian vibe/spirit, Sikeliot doesn't. Shows you don't live there nor have their habits.

quaquaraqua
04-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I voted Alfieb from my experience! Sikeliot looks more Greek! Anyway all fit well in Sicily!

alfieb
04-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Despite the differences, one thing unites East and West:

They're Sicilians, and while each think they're the better Sicilians, they agree that they're both better than everyone else.

http://www.fototifo.it/eventi/20102011/palermo-catania_150/20102011_palermo-catania_012.jpg
Catania at Palermo

http://www.fototifo.it/eventi/20102011/catania-palermo_133/20102011_catania-palermo_035.jpg
Palermo at Catania

The Alchemist
04-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Rarely in the east you can see people with the facial features of Bernardo Provenzano or Ignazio La Russa...''only in Palermo''.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/thumb/7/78/Bprovenzano.jpg/250px-Bprovenzano.jpg

http://www.fratelli-italiapiemonte.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/La-Russa.jpg

(someone here, obviously not an italian, told me that Provenzano has something ''baltid'' and La Russa look french...)

Btw, the palermitan reporter Pif look quite pansicilian

http://www.improntadigitale.org/public/dblog/report/pif%20.jpg

What delicate noses :D :D
That's why i tend to prefer germanics in general, since i find big noses unattractive.

Austo
04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
That's why i tend to prefer germanics in general, since i find big noses unattractive.

:naughty2:

Newsboy
04-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Anthropologique, trust me I'm not a troll. You see, I'm not really in China. It's just my background. My real location is somewhere in North America (not Dixie, West Coast, or Southwest). So I've definitely met some Portuguese, Sicilians, and South Americans of Spanish descent. I acknowledge the differences, but don't get upset. I didn't mean to insult the mostly Breton user.

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM

...and what about the ubertuscan Chiellini?

Stereotypical central italic nose...look like a mix between empero Nerone and Dante Alighieri :lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZxW_xAshSn8/SwOCoop0yQI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/q7nwz4fbwQk/s1600/Chielllini3.jpg

The Alchemist
04-14-2013, 03:52 PM
...and what about the ubertuscan Chiellini?

Stereotypical central italic nose...look like a mix between empero Nerone and Dante Alighieri :lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZxW_xAshSn8/SwOCoop0yQI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/q7nwz4fbwQk/s1600/Chielllini3.jpg
Damn, we could show millions example from the whole Italy, from north to south there's an army of "abundant" noses :D :D
Call me nordicist or whatever you want, but i like people with small noses, or medium sized ones (on women small is better). And straight or upturned is ideal, but not downturned!!

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I voted Alfieb from my experience! Sikeliot looks more Greek! Anyway all fit well in Sicily!

This doesn't make sense. Eastern Sicilians almost all look Greek, while not all western Sicilians look like alfieb.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 04:13 PM

And going the other way, Marcella Bella and Bruna di Raimondo, with their prominent Ancient Greek features, are faces I'd only expect to see in eastern Sicily. Very distinct.

http://static2.oggi.it/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/marcella-bella-indagata-per-evasione-fiscale/milestone-ed-00wm2s.jpg?v=1317116240

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3615/3652128436_1df984cb65_z.jpg?zz=1

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Obviously in the east you can see also people who look differently, like Miriam Leone or Anna Valle (Anna Valle is born in Rome but her parents are from Lentini):

http://www.blogsicilia.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Anna-Valle_shadowbox.jpg

http://www.cucchini.com/media/16022010163724_87-25-218-192_2007918163117.jpg

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
^ She looks like half Greek, half Irish Angie Harmon.

But the examples I posted are probably the "typical" eastern Sicilian look. In western Sicily you also find people like these, in contrast to your examples but also present;

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/299812_618170468198745_1769710650_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/16973_1204776893742_2216138_n.jpg

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Probabily the only place in Europe with this great presence of different phenotypes...

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Probabily the only place in Europe with this great presence of different phenotypes...

Yes indeed. As I said in another post, you can find "Sicilian looking" people everywhere from Spain to Kurdistan. I don't think most Europeans can say the same about themselves.

The Alchemist
04-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Anna Valle looks text book north italian to me....i even met her in real life, very nice and natural woman i have to say, tall and thin, and not different than in the screan...

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Anna Valle looks text book north italian to me....i even met her in real life, very nice and natural woman i have to say, tall and thin, and not different than in the screan...

She's pan-Italian I think. I think she'd fit anywhere in Italy, except maybe Sardinia.

The Alchemist
04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
She's pan-Italian I think. I think she'd fit anywhere in Italy, except maybe Sardinia.

Of course yes, but more northern than southern if i should say, believe me.

Anthropologique
04-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I've never understood why you're so aggressive when giving your opinion about this anthro shit. At the end of the day, people just give an impression they don't truly care about. Relax x.x...

That's why,with all your great and epic knowledge of anthropology, it starts to be vexing to read you.

The problem is that there are a truckload of liars and exaggerators on these forums.

Sikeliot
04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Of course yes, but more northern than southern if i should say, believe me.

I'd believe it. She is also from an area that was once an ancient Greek settlement. I was looking up to see if there is any Gallo-Italic ancestry there, which would explain her look.

Peyrol
04-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Wow, you lucky...only famous people i met recently were Berlusconi and Del Piero :lol:

alfieb
04-15-2013, 03:08 AM
I'd rather meet ADP myself, especially if I were from Torino.

Sicilianu101
04-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Sicily is a place of very diverse phenotypes so I can't completely pick one of us. To do so would be to stereotype my people.

I am not out of the ordinary for my area of northeastern Sicily (Nebrodi mountains in Messina province).

Alfieb is 1/4 Northern Italian. In general I do agree he fits better in western sicily.

Also I think slight Polish + Portuguese influences combined with a very East Med type of Sicilian combines to making a "Greek-looking" Sicilian in Sikeliot

alfieb
04-15-2013, 03:22 AM
No, I'm 1/4 Northern Italian (1/8 Ligurian, 1/8 Lombardian) with possible (distant) Basque ancestry on the Ligurian side. 1/4 Trapanese, 1/2 Palermitan.

Sicilianu101
04-15-2013, 03:23 AM
No, I'm 1/4 Northern Italian (1/8 Ligurian, 1/8 Lombardian) with possible (distant) Basque ancestry on the Ligurian side. 1/4 Trapanese, 1/2 Palermitan.

Oh yeah Im getting confused with someone else.. lol sorry brother

alfieb
04-15-2013, 03:25 AM
No worries. Sikeliot recently said that he believes he's part Sardinian, so that could've been it.

Sikeliot
04-15-2013, 03:25 AM
No worries. Sikeliot recently said that he believes he's part Sardinian, so that could've been it.

One of my great grandfathers has a Sardinian-only surname.

Diërker
04-15-2013, 03:30 AM
Me.

Prince Carlo
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't see Alfieb as being typical anywhere in Italy. Foreigners talking out of their ass. Very annoying.

alfieb
04-17-2013, 02:17 AM
I don't see Alfieb as being typical anywhere in Italy. Foreigners talking out of their ass. Very annoying.
Sicily is not Italy, Neapolitan. :no:

Peyrol voted for me, and there are more Sicilians in Torino than in Napoli. :lol:

Sikeliot
04-17-2013, 02:21 AM
I don't see Alfieb as being typical anywhere in Italy.

He fits the stereotype based on American movies, but in terms of raw number I think I look the most Sicilian. Because I look like every other guy in eastern Sicily or Calabria.

Slycooper
04-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Sicily is not Italy, Neapolitan. :no:

Peyrol voted for me, and there are more Sicilians in Torino than in Napoli. :lol:

:eek:

Lorene
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Sicilianu101.

My paternal granparents were from Napoli, Campania.

Virtuous
04-18-2013, 09:28 PM
No such thing as most typical Sicilian anyway.

Baluarte
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
He fits the stereotype based on American movies, but in terms of raw number I think I look the most Sicilian. Because I look like every other guy in eastern Sicily or Calabria.

You don't have a Sicilian/Italian allure, that's probably why we don't see you like one.

Lorene
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
I think I look the most Sicilian. Because I look like every other guy in eastern Sicily or Calabria.

Portuguese rather Sicilian.

Sikeliot
04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Portuguese rather Sicilian.

I don't understand some people thinking I look more Portuguese when I think I have an East Med sort of look.. and people say I look Greek, and Greeks definitely look more like Sicilians than like Portuguese.

riverman
04-18-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't understand some people thinking I look more Portuguese when I think I have an East Med sort of look.. and people say I look Greek, and Greeks definitely look more like Sicilians than like Portuguese.

I think you look sort of portuguese.

riverman
04-18-2013, 10:38 PM
sort of.

that being said sicilianu really has that Sicilian look

Sikeliot
04-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I think you look sort of portuguese.

I mean not that I'd have any issue with looking Portuguese -- I am closer to that side of my family than my father's. But I just don't.

Newsboy
04-19-2013, 12:27 AM

Greeks don't necessarily look more Sicilian. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there is a minority of Greeks that look more Northern and Western than Sicilians. This minority of Greeks can pass further west than Italy.

Sikeliot
04-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Some Greeks look neither Sicilian nor Portuguese. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there is a minority of Greeks that look more Northern and Western than Sicilians (these Greeks can pass further west).

I don't think more western (i.e. more Sicilians will look German than Greeks will) but more Greeks IMO can pass in Eastern Europe for sure.

Newsboy
04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
I don't think more western (i.e. more Sicilians will look German than Greeks will) but more Greeks IMO can pass in Eastern Europe for sure.

What about the Spanish? Sicilians are the Europeans with one of the most Levantine influences (even more than Greeks). Many (but not all) Greeks lack Levantine influence just like the Spaniards. Atlanto-Med and Gracile-Med are common in both places. Pontid types can look Spanish as well. I think some Greeks can look more Southwestern than Sicilians (not Western as in German or Irish).

Sikeliot
04-19-2013, 12:59 AM
What about the Spanish? Sicilians are the Europeans with one of the most Levantine influences (even more than Greeks). Many (but not all) Greeks lack Levantine influence just like the Spaniards. Atlanto-Med and Gracile-Med are common in both places. Pontid types can look Spanish as well. I think some Greeks can look more Southwestern than Sicilians (not Western as in German or Irish).

This is my thought -- and it is substantiated both by genetics and all my experience --

a) when at their most "exotic", Sicilians look more like Lebanese whereas Greeks look more like Turks.

b) when at their "lightest", Sicilians look more like Central Europeans or French, whereas Greeks more like Slavs.

c) a substantial part of the Greek population looks generally Balkan, whereas a lot of Sicilians don't look Greek but almost like they could be say, half French/Western European and half Lebanese.

d) Sicilians have more "Gracile Med" overlap with Spain than Greece does, but Greece with their Pontids come closer to the Atlanto-Meds.

Newsboy
04-19-2013, 01:39 AM
This is my thought -- and it is substantiated both by genetics and all my experience --

a) when at their most "exotic", Sicilians look more like Lebanese whereas Greeks look more like Turks.

b) when at their "lightest", Sicilians look more like Central Europeans or French, whereas Greeks more like Slavs.

c) a substantial part of the Greek population looks generally Balkan, whereas a lot of Sicilians don't look Greek but almost like they could be say, half French/Western European and half Lebanese.

d) Sicilians have more "Gracile Med" overlap with Spain than Greece does, but Greece with their Pontids come closer to the Atlanto-Meds.

Sikeliot, I agree with most of what you said. The Greeks can overlap with Spanish with their Atlanto-Meds and Pontids. The Spanish can overlap with Greeks with their Atlanto-Meds. This is when Greeks resembling Spanish and vice versa is possible.

The exotic Sicilians do indeed look Lebanese/Coastal Syrian. The exotic Greeks would resemble Western Turks or Georgians. In terms of the lightest types, Sicilians would look German or French while the Greeks look Polish, Ukrainian or even Russian.

Sure Greece is in the Balkan peninsula, but I think they look a bit more Western and Med than the rest of the Balkanians.

That's what I was saying all along.

Ianus
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
I think Alfieb is the most sicilian. His phenotype is Souther Italian

riverman
07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I think Alfieb is the most sicilian. His phenotype is Souther Italian

What about Sicilianu?

Sikeliot
07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I honestly think it's me. I think I have the most common look of the three of us. I think alfieb looks more Sardinian or Iberian than he looks Sicilian, and I think Sicilianu101 looks very Levantine.

Ianus
07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
What about Sicilianu?

Never seen his face

riverman
07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Depends on what people think Sicilian looks like.

If people think it's Greek, I win.
If people think it's Levantine, Sicilianu wins.
If people think it's neither but just an ambiguous swarthoid, then you win.

Lol

riverman
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
I honestly think it's me. I think I have the most common look of the three of us. I think alfieb looks more Sardinian or Iberian than he looks Sicilian, and I think Sicilianu101 looks very Levantine.

Could be, I thought Sicilianu looks very Sicilian though. Stereotype maybe, idk.

Sikeliot
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
In spirit though, it's alfieb. He identifies with Sicily as a whole, while I consider myself basically an ancient Greek. He is the most knowledgeable about Sicily as a whole so for that, he wins.

But phenotypically I think it goes me first, then Sicilianu, and then alfieb.

alfieb
07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Because you're biased against Western Sicilian phenotypes. As you've acknowledged in the past, it's all a matter of what someone identifies the typical Sicilian look as, since there are several.

I like the Greek look, I do, but where my family are from, it's not prevalent.

Western Sicily has more Gracile Meds, Alpine Meds, Norids and Berids, while Eastern Sicily has more East Meds and Dinaro-Meds.

Sikeliot
07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Western Sicily has more Gracile Meds, Alpine Meds, Norids and Berids, while Eastern Sicily has more East Meds and Dinaro-Meds.

I'm not biased against western Sicilian looks in that I dislike them. It's just my own view of what we look like is based on people from the eastern coast and Enna.

And Armenoid. Which is where the sometimes Jewish looking can come from. I do think a different type of East Med can occur in western Sicily though -- but it's not a Greek looking one, that's for sure.

And like I always say the higher Berid element goes hand in hand with a stronger North African influence. Berids in eastern Sicily are rare, and North African genetic input is significantly smaller there. It probably arrived via a very ancient migration from North Africa in Europe's formative years, in prehistoric times.

alfieb
07-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Oddly enough, as I think I've mentioned before, African DNA has been said by some studies to peak in Ragusa.

I stand by the claims to the contrary that Sciacca deserves that semi-dubious honour.

Sikeliot
07-26-2013, 01:35 AM
African as in North African?
I would have thought Ragusa was similar to the rest of the east. I do know they have a high frequency of haplogroup J1, more on par with some western regions. I always thought that African components (especially North African) got stronger as you go southwest in Sicily, meaning Messina has little to none and Agrigento has the most.

I would like to see a study done for each region.

Dombra
07-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Alfieb, the random swarthoid

alfieb
07-26-2013, 03:33 AM
African as in North African?
I would have thought Ragusa was similar to the rest of the east. I do know they have a high frequency of haplogroup J1, more on par with some western regions.
I am under the impression that J1 is highest in the Southeast, actually.

While we all know that Eupedia is hardly reliable, a brief scan in that direction implies that Ragusa is over 30% J1, and that autosomal admixture for SSA components based on Dodecad data is highest in the Southeast as well.

I always thought that African components (especially North African) got stronger as you go southwest in Sicily, meaning Messina has little to none and Agrigento has the most.
That would be logical. Home of the Carthaginians, first to fall to the Saracens, Capital of the Emirate of Sicily all in the West rather than the East.

I would like to see a study done for each region.
I'd donate money to such an effort, if it were going to be even a half-decent study.

Tauromachos
08-24-2018, 05:49 PM
I think Donriccardo is a good candite too

But honestly i haven't seen many more Sicilian members here except Sikeliot and a few others who posted in the past
but aren't much active by now

Sikeliot
08-24-2018, 10:32 PM
I think Donriccardo is a good candite too

But honestly i haven't seen many more Sicilian members here except Sikeliot and a few others who posted in the past
but aren't much active by now

No one's pictures are still visible to see, so this thread has no purpose.