PDA

View Full Version : $250,000 gold shirt

Loki
04-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Why spend $250,000 on a gold shirt? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21994873)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66968000/jpg/_66968095_comp624.jpg

An Indian man has bought one of the world's most expensive shirts, made with more than 3kg of gold and worth $250,000. His is an extreme case of an Indian obsession with the precious metal.

Datta Phuge's nickname is "the gold man", and it's easy to see why.

His knuckles, neck, and wrists are weighed down by the precious metal - signet rings, chunky bracelets, and a medallion that even an Olympic champion might envy.

And on top of that, draped resplendently around him, glittering in the light, is a shirt of gold.

Weighing a staggering 3.3kg (about 7lb), it cost him a cool quarter of a million dollars (£162,000).

It's an extravagant fashion statement, to say the least, but for Phuge it's an important one.

"Some people ask me why I'm wearing so much gold but it was my dream. People have different aspirations. Some elite people want to own an Audi or Mercedes, and have big cars. I chose gold," he explains.

He has cars too, of course - five of them.

Given its impractical nature, the shirt only gets an outing on special occasions, like parties and important functions.

It elicits a mixture of reactions, Phuge says. Some people are impressed. Others are sniffy about what they regard as the excessive bling.

Either way, to ensure the shirt stays on his back, Phuge has a security guard with him wherever he travels.

"The challenge was to make this as comfortable as wearing a normal shirt," says Tejpal Rankar, of Rankar Jewellers, a 133-year-old business in Pune, a few hours' drive from Mumbai.

"Once we decided to make the shirt we researched designs and patterns. We didn't want it to be like wearing a sheet of gold."

To that end Rankar and his team of craftsmen decided to make a gold cloth based on an Italian weave, using a special machine.

They drew inspiration from old images of Indian kings wearing suits of armour. To prevent it scratching, they stitched a velvet lining inside.

The finished shirt is - as this writer can testify - heavy to wear and a little clunky. It can't be washed so care needs to be taken not to let it get dirty, or indeed too sweaty. The latter is unavoidable in an Indian summer.

Phuge says wearing it makes him feel good. For him it is the ultimate manifestation of achievement and gives him a status he has craved since he was young.

MfA_
04-16-2013, 07:36 PM
before or after the last crush ? :p

Scarlet Ibis
04-17-2013, 02:20 AM
A clear example that money can't buy taste.

mr. logan
04-17-2013, 02:32 AM
The absence of inner shine.

asingh
04-17-2013, 04:48 AM
We love GOLD.

Loki
04-17-2013, 05:02 AM
We love GOLD.

Haha, so I've heard :D Even the gold price is heavily influenced by demand in India.

Siberian Cold Breeze
04-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Seems like guy doesn't like to carry a wallet ,but 3 kg shirt is not that practical ..How does he make payment..cutting a small piece ?

I wonder if metal shirt keeps him cool or warm..and what does he do to clean it?

Mortimer
04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
cool accessoire but i wouldnt like to wear such a Thing. very impractical. if i were that rich i would wear designer suits

Issy
04-17-2013, 06:17 AM
A walking bank :P

Jackson
04-17-2013, 12:27 PM
That it is pretty amazing, i hope it ends up in the ground someday so that some lucky archaeologist can have the pleasure of discovering it. :P