PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners make up almost one fifth of Portugal’s inmates

Lusos
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
"Recently-released figures show that at the end of last year, foreigners made up nearly one fifth of all criminals serving time in Portugal’s jails; of the 13,614 inmates incarcerated as 2012 drew to a close, 2,602 were foreign nationals."

"nformation sent to The Portugal News from the General Board for Prison Services shows that, of the foreign nationals locked up in a Portuguese jail at the end of 2012, 2,427 were male and 175 were female.
In comparison to figures from 2011 this was 173 more foreign men and two more foreign women, the vast majority of whom fell within the 30-49 age groups.
Contrary to their native counterparts, most of whom were serving time for crimes against property, the majority of last year’s foreign male inmates were doing stints for drug-related crimes, with trafficking being the most common.
The most frequent crime for both foreign and Portuguese female prisoners was also drug-trafficking, though six foreign women were imprisoned for murder, eight were jailed for property crimes and one was serving time for assault.
During the course of last year 169 male foreigners were put away for road-related crimes.
The overall number of inmates imprisoned in Portugal’s jails at the end of 2012 rose somewhat on figures from the year before, giving continuation to a trend noted in 2008.
In total, on 31 December 2011, there were 9,595 Portuguese men and 538 Portuguese women serving time behind bars, as well as 2,375 foreign men and 173 foreign women; a total of 12,681 inmates, male and female.
By the end of 2012 there were 10,429 Portuguese men and 583 Portuguese women in prison, along with 2,427 male foreigners and 175 foreign women; a total of 13,614 convicts, 933 more prisoners than a year earlier.
Data from the Ministry of Justice relating to 2011 showed that, between 2008 and 2011, the number of inmates in Portuguese prisons grew by 17.3 percent."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big.big lie.

One fifth.:picard2:More like 75% of the Inmate Population.Specially since Eastern Euros popped up In Portugal.

Natives to this land should make about a quarter of the Inmate Popul.

The "Other"Portuguese,We all know where they come from.

HispaniaSagrada
04-21-2013, 02:17 AM
What is the % of immigrants? Last figure I read (a while back) was about 10.5 million total population. Of that 10.5 million is supposedly indigenous and 0.5 million is immigrant and descended from immigrants but I also heard 1 or 1.5 is foreign. I don't know the real numbers.

Who are the "other" Portuguese?

Damião de Góis
04-21-2013, 11:03 AM
What is the % of immigrants? Last figure I read (a while back) was about 10.5 million total population. Of that 10.5 million is supposedly indigenous and 0.5 million is immigrant and descended from immigrants but I also heard 1 or 1.5 is foreign. I don't know the real numbers.

Who are the "other" Portuguese?

It's difficult to say. I can only find numbers for "foreigners with residence", so that means illegals aren't counted and 2º or more generation immigrants aren't counted either. People like the football players Miguel, Manuel Fernandes, etc are portuguese for those statistics.

HispaniaSagrada
04-24-2013, 12:32 AM
It's difficult to say. I can only find numbers for "foreigners with residence", so that means illegals aren't counted and 2º or more generation immigrants aren't counted either. People like the football players Miguel, Manuel Fernandes, etc are portuguese for those statistics.

Thanks. The figure of "portugueses de gema" I carry in my head is 10 million. It's probably not far off. Cia World Factbook says 10,799,270 (July 2013 est.).

Lusos
04-24-2013, 05:32 PM

-One Year sentence(Or over) and they are shipped out of Portugal for good. (New law)

-Illegals are an Emigration issue.They are given enough Money for the travel and shipped out as well to their original Countries.(Unless decided otherwise by a Judge)

-Those are the ones I'm talking about.

The statistics you find are the ones they want you to see.

I work in Prisons for 7 Years (Portugal and England)I know what I see.