PDA

View Full Version : 'Health risk' from low-carb diets

Skandi
08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Low-carbohydrate slimming diets may damage arteries and increase the risk of heart attacks, research suggests.

'Health risk' from low-carb diets

Scientists believe cutting out the carbs by following Atkins-style diets impairs the regrowth and repair of blood vessels.

The discovery was made by a US team whose leader was himself on a low-carb diet until he saw the results of the study...

...Study leader Professor Anthony Rosenzweig, Director of Cardiovascular Research at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, said: "Examinations of the animals' bone marrow and peripheral blood showed that the measures of EPC cells dropped fully 40% among the mice on the low-carb diet - after only two weeks.

Although the precise nature and role of these cells is still being worked out - and caution is always warranted in extrapolating from effects in mice to a clinical situation - these results succeeded in getting me off the low-carb diet."

more (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090824/thl-health-risk-from-low-carb-diets-d831572.html)

Not very surprising doing anything to extremes is bad for you, and diets are no different.

Absinthe
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
* Down with the Atkins diet :grumpy:

Loki
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm currently on a low-carb diet, although not always very strict. I've lost 10 kg over the past few months, and look and feel a whole lot better than before. I feel I have more energy too.

I don't think there's any benefit from consuming huge amounts of sugar or bread/pasta. I get enough healthy carbs from fruit.

Liffrea
08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
High intake of carbs is beneficial if you intend to burn them off through exercise.

Frigga
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if in the study, they had the mice with large amounts of protein, and negligible amounts of carbohydrates and fats. If they cut fats out of the diets, then yes that will cause problems, as protein builds tissues but fats and carbs sustain them. Naturally occuring carbohydrates in whole foods are necessary, like fruits and vegetables, and properly prepared whole grains like beans. Keep away from refined processed foods like Wonder Bread (does anyone still eat that crap?) and white sugar, and loads of preservatives, and your body will be so much healthier.

SuuT
08-31-2009, 04:46 PM
In my experience, the biggest problem with low-carb diets is long-term sustainability: carb cravings become outrageous, and only the strongest of wills can fight them off. But that sucks, and people don't want to be thinking about food all of the time - but that is what happens. So, after a time, the diet becomes couter-productive, and people tend to binge and then starve themselves to make-up for the binge; thus beginning a very unhealty cycle.

Frigga
08-31-2009, 04:53 PM
This is true SuuT. But, to further my earlier point, if you're not getting enough fats, especially saturated fats in your diet, you will crave carbohydrates! Why? Because your body is able to convert carbohydrates into the fats it needs if you don't supply your body with them. Most people are so afraid of fat that they go on a low carb diet, and are not able to sustain it without compensating with an increased amount of fat. Try at least 30% of your daily caloric needs from fats. Doctor Cowan states that those who wish to lose weight are actually able to take in more. Therefore, the bingeing that you have just described.

Loki
08-31-2009, 04:55 PM
In my experience, I haven't had any huge carb cravings. In fact, it seems I've become weaned off it. You get addicted to sugar when you have a lot of it. But after that addiction has been treated, you can live without it. It's just like a drug problem.

SuuT
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
In my experience, I haven't had any huge carb cravings. In fact, it seems I've become weaned off it. You get addicted to sugar when you have a lot of it. But after that addiction has been treated, you can live without it. It's just like a drug problem.

Except one doesn't need drugs to be healthy. There are a remarkable amout of variables to consider when I hear that carb cravings are minimal in such a diet: Has your activity level 'significantly' increased since you've been on the diet? Do you utilse sugar (of any kind) in your coffees and teas? What, exactly, are the types of carbs that you are consuming? Are you sleeping more/less? Have you plateaued yet? (this one is HUGE). Etc. etc.

You, Loki, have been on that diet for about 2 months - this much I know for sure. I'm not saying that you're not one of the VERY few who can do it; what I am saying is that the true test comes in the realisation that the diet requires a lifetime dedication. I will be most interested at your progress at the 4-5-6 month marker(s).

Jäger
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
@Loki, do you exercise? If you do sports, "carb craving" should be present, or I would worry about your bodily health expressions.

Loki
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
@Loki, do you exercise? If you do sports, "carb craving" should be present, or I would worry about your bodily health expressions.

I do exercise, yes. And I don't take zero carbs. I take small amounts of healthy carbs via fruit and vegetables. NOT sugar and loads of bread and pasta.

Loki
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Except one doesn't need drugs to be healthy. There are a remarkable amout of variables to consider when I hear that carb cravings are minimal in such a diet: Has your activity level 'significantly' increased since you've been on the diet? Do you utilse sugar (of any kind) in your coffees and teas? What, exactly, are the types of carbs that you are consuming? Are you sleeping more/less? Have you plateaued yet? (this one is HUGE). Etc. etc.

I have coffee and tea without sugar. I'm sleeping well too. I get sugar from fruit -- fruit like apples and berries have plenty of it. An interesting fact is that I am no longer getting headaches, since I've stopped taking sugar.

anonymaus
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Worry not. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis)

Jäger
09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
I do exercise, yes. And I don't take zero carbs. I take small amounts of healthy carbs via fruit and vegetables. NOT sugar and loads of bread and pasta.
In that case, you aren't on "low carb", but on "the right amount of carb" and just overate on carbs before.

Psychonaut
09-01-2009, 07:28 AM
In that case, you aren't on "low carb", but on "the right amount of carb" and just overate on carbs before.

That's the ticket right there. Most people, especially Americans, take in way more carbs than are necessary. I've found that eating "pure" carbohydrate foods (breads, grains, etc.) in small amounts as parts of meals consisting mainly of meat, dairy and vegetables has allowed me to increase muscle mass, decrease fat levels and raise my energy levels all at once. The big thing, when it comes to carbs, that I stay away from are simple sugars, white bread, white pasta, etc.; the whole grain equivalents provide you with slow-burning carbs that'll serve you better throughout the day rather than just going straight to your fat deposits. I usually save my (low) sugar intake for fruits that I eat in combination with exercise.