PDA

View Full Version : Which groups are the best physical representation of the Ancient Israelites?

Sikeliot
04-22-2013, 12:14 AM
This is a variation of a thread already present, but I am feeling like talking about the Israelites today so here we go.

I only listed groups on here who have a significant part of West and Southwest Asian genes.

Vesuvian Sky
04-22-2013, 12:18 AM
I think the proto-Semitic community was just south of the Caucuses plus in and around Mesopotamia.

Ergo 'West Asian' genes were at least 50-60% but perhaps it was 50 'West Asian" 50 SW Asian.

The implications of Proto-Afro-Asiatic groups also have to be considered here.

But to answer the question poll wise, I'd go with Assyrians.

Sikeliot
04-22-2013, 12:20 AM
I think the proto-Semitic community was just south of the Caucuses plus in and around Mesopotamia.

Ergo 'West Asian' genes were at least 50-60% but perhaps it was 50 'West Asian" 50 SW Asian.

The implications of Proto-Afro-Asiatic groups also have to be considered here.

So you would think that the Israelites would have been mostly divided between Caucasus type ancestry and Arabian?
There is also a Mediterranean component in modern Levantines that is shared with all Southern Europeans, and North Africans (what Dodecad calls "Mediterranean").

Vesuvian Sky
04-22-2013, 12:22 AM
So you would think that the Israelites would have been mostly divided between Caucasus type ancestry and Arabian?
There is also a Mediterranean component in modern Levantines that is shared with all Southern Europeans, and North Africans (what Dodecad calls "Mediterranean").

This is something I've been toying around with conceptually but I think the Med. component was actually reduced by incoming proto-Afro-Asiatics from the aforementioned area though the Proto-Afro-Asiatic Uhrmeit may have been wider.

Smeagol
04-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Sephardic Jews.

Sikeliot
04-22-2013, 12:30 AM
It may just be me, but the Sephardis I have seen are quite close looking to Southeast Europeans and aren't stunningly Middle Eastern looking.

Newsboy
04-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Probably Sephardic Jews out of those choices. They are Med looking and probably one of the least mixed Jews. The Jews obviously originated in Israel, hence Israelites. The Israelites are the Westernmost Levantines. They are still coastal Levantines so they won't look 'Arabian'.

Ibericus
04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Probably Samaritan Jews

Vesuvian Sky
04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
It may just be me, but the Sephardis I have seen are quite close looking to Southeast Europeans and aren't stunningly Middle Eastern looking.

From what I've been able to gather from looking at various Semetic speaking people's DNA, it seems the Assyrians would fit the bill IMO as most unmixed.

I think Sepharic Jews may have picked up a significant amount of s. Euro genes. There are certainly differences to their components when compared to Mizrahi.

Sikeliot
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
When I see a lot of Lebanese people, especially older ones, I see a look that I could easily picture as Israelite. Like middle aged to old Lebanese men I can picture as an ancient Jewish rabbi or something.

Sikeliot
04-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Some Sephardis, since people seem to be picking them:

http://www.ajwnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sephardi-minyan-photo.gif

Vesuvian Sky
04-22-2013, 12:50 AM
When I see a lot of Lebanese people, especially older ones, I see a look that I could easily picture as Israelite. Like middle aged to old Lebanese men I can picture as an ancient Jewish rabbi or something.

I remember when National Geographic reported on the genetic legacy of Phoenicians and how it would have affected the Lebanese gene pool:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature2/

Back then they concluded that there wasn't much difference between Christian and Muslim Lebanese based on the DNA they were looking at.

Know off the top of your head what their autosomal components are?

1stLightHorse
04-22-2013, 01:27 AM
I voted Lebanese, Palestinian, Ashkenazi and Sephardic.
There are plenty of lebanese and palestinian with European admixture, but in ashkenazis, usually there are distinct features that giveaway semitic admixture in them. Kinky hair, facial expressions, certain behaviours or personality traits too, even tone of voice, i can tell many ashkenazis still have a vocal tone that in my opinion is extremely semitic, and can be compared to most MENA women, such as Amy Winehouse or Fran Drescher for example. Alot of ashkenazi men also, such as Lloyd Blankfein or Bradley Schlozman have very distinct vocal characteristics that are not common in Europeans.

Anglojew
04-22-2013, 01:43 AM
You need to add Samaritans and Mizrachi Jews and Druze.

Prince Carlo
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Iraqi Jews are the purest levantines according to some experts-

Maleficent
06-12-2014, 08:58 PM
AJ, SJ, Palestinians, Lebanese, Assyrians, Kurds, Iranians

I voted non-Semitic groups such as Kurd and Iranian since they are in great part descended from ancient Mesopotamians too just like Assyrians, and Abraham came from Ur.

In all actuality though, if I could just pick two it's probably a tie between Palestinian and Mizrahi.(Speaking of which, why isn't Mizrahi in the poll?!)

Yehiel
06-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Iraqi Jews. I voted Iraqi arabs instead though

Odin
03-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Sephardi Jews.

Ülev
03-07-2018, 08:56 PM
And now we know R1b(true royal haplogroup)is the basque haplogroup and king Tut's haplogroup, proving the true promised land is the west(the basque country all the way to catalonia)The hidden truth is in revelations 12:9 and 2:9 and DNA corroborates it.

The so called spanish in spain the anti basques/catalans are crypto pharisees giving us a bad image to slander the real thing/celtic spain=basque/catalan land.Now spanish is associated with the imposters(they created the so called hispanics) staining our stolen identity to make it harder to believe the hidden truth

and it's France, at least this russian guy claim that (at 11:00): https://youtu.be/PlGdZQMJ35g

Saint-Nazaire - Nazareth
Parisians - Pharisees
Somme river was Samara - Samaria
Cannes - Galilean Cana
Kiberon - Hebron
Belleme - Bethleem
Bethune - Bethany
Saint Omer - Gomorra
Sedan - Sodom
Tours - Tyre

large hill Montmartre in Paris is the place of Crucifixion of Jesus

etc.

edit: and he said that these 'biblical' names in Palestine originated only in the XiX century (10 time less than in France)

MysteriousWays
03-08-2018, 03:01 AM
Syrian Jews are probably the closest specifically as they are mostly Mizrahi but mixed with other Sephardic Jews as well. After that, probably Iraqi Jews and Iranian Jews, as well as some Sephardim and Ashkenazim in terms of looks.

Bobby Martnen
03-08-2018, 03:03 AM
All Jewish groups, seeing as they are the only ones who kept the culture alive.

Zroota
03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
I would say Assyrians.

They're a pure Semitic-speaking indigenous group in western Asia who don't have any Arab mixture (Assyrians are heterogeneous from their neighbours and were not Arabized or Islamicized). Assyrian Neo-Aramaic and Hebrew are also closely related, sister languages. Not to mention, Assyrians cluster close with other Jews in the region, such as Georgian Jews, Iraqi Jews and Iranian Jews.

Sephardic Jews would be good as well. Ashkenazi Jews look pseudo-European, besides a few (like Albert Einstein). But it depends.

Kamal900
03-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Mizrahi Jews of the middle east and Samaritans.

Kamal900
03-08-2018, 01:20 PM
I would say Assyrians.

They're a pure Semitic-speaking indigenous group in western Asia who don't have any Arab mixture (Assyrians are heterogeneous from their neighbours and were not Arabized or Islamicized). Assyrian Neo-Aramaic and Hebrew are also closely related, sister languages. Not to mention, Assyrians cluster close with other Jews in the region, such as Georgian Jews, Iraqi Jews and Iranian Jews.

Sephardic Jews would be good as well. Ashkenazi Jews look pseudo-European, besides a few (like Albert Einstein). But it depends.

Hmm, Assyrians cluster the closest to Armenians than anything. I'd say it's the Mizrahi Jews of the Levant, Iraq and even Kurdistan and Samaritans. Of course, genetically isolated groups of the Levant like the Maronites, Druze and even the 3alawis are great candidates as well.

Aren
03-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Hmm, Assyrians cluster the closest to Armenians than anything. I'd say it's the Mizrahi Jews of the Levant, Iraq and even Kurdistan and Samaritans. Of course, genetically isolated groups of the Levant like the Maronites, Druze and even the 3alawis are great candidates as well.

Nope. We are closer to Mesopotamian Jews first, not Armenians. In fact Eastern Mizrahim Jews used to speak various dialects of Eastern Neo-Aramaic, just like us Assyrians.