PDA

View Full Version : 41% Britons favour united Ireland; Only 26% want Ulster in UK

Creeping Death
09-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Sinn Féin warned Tony Blair that he should take note of a poll which found the vast majority of British people believe the North should no longer be part of Britain.

Surge in support for Irish unity (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/aug/21/northernireland.northernireland1)

41% Britons favour united Ireland; Only 26% want Ulster in UK

A verdict to strike a chill through Ulster unionism comes in today's Guardian/ ICM poll, which finds more Britons think Northern Ireland should be part of a united Ireland than believe it belongs in the United Kingdom.

In a finding that hits at the very heart of unionist ideology - which regards the province as an integral part of the UK - 41% of Britons believe Northern Ireland should be joined with the Irish republic while only 26% say it should continue as part of the UK.

For unionists, many of whom consider themselves British and refer to Britain as "the mainland", today's findings amount to a cold shoulder from their fellow citizens. Only one in four wants the province to stay part of the country.

Being sold out , never trust the Multiculturalists.

Fortis in Arduis
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.newmexiconuts.net/catalog/tumbleweed.jpg

Poltergeist
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Governments these days usually don't care about what the people thinks anyway.

Beorn
09-01-2009, 10:48 AM
It'd be interesting to actually see an up to date poll. 2001 is such a long way away.

Poltergeist
09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Polls and statistics are worthless at any rate.

Æmeric
09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
41% is not a majority Foley. Don't you know basic math?:rolleyes2:

Liffrea
09-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I think for most English people it’s likely to be a shrug the shoulders, England’s involvement in Ireland has hardly been a “popular” endeavour, it means as much to most English people as Scottish independence i.e. very little.

It’s up to Ulster what it wishes, if they choose to stay part of the UK then the UK should defend the province.

The Good Friday agreement leaves the final say to the people of Northern Ireland in a referendum.

A referendum promise from Labour, now where have I heard that before…..

Beorn
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I think for most English people it’s likely to be a shrug the shoulders

Very true. It's almost a shock when you do go to Northern Ireland and see the passion of both sides. You feel almost embarrassed to say that you really couldn't care less for the place.

It’s up to Ulster what it wishes, if they choose to stay part of the UK then the UK should defend the province.

I've always said that myself, but what happens when the UK is gone? Northern Ireland will have to stop holding onto another countries coat tails at some point.

Liffrea
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wat Tyler
I've always said that myself, but what happens when the UK is gone?

The UK is practically gone, minus a few strokes of the blade, we are part of the European 4th Reich now……

Perhaps the UK would care to save itself from oblivion as a province of greater Franco-Germany but I doubt it.

Creeping Death
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.newmexiconuts.net/catalog/tumbleweed.jpgI tell you Fortis it would be in the best interests for England to cut off Northern Ireland. I would love to see English people retake their identity and become an independent nation themselves, I really believe this shared concept of 'Britishness' is a led weight on them.

Fortis in Arduis
09-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I tell you Fortis it would be in the best interests for England to cut off Northern Ireland. I would love to see English people retake their identity and become an independent nation themselves, I really believe this shared concept of 'Britishness' is a led weight on them.

Well, I feel English and British because there is a thread which runs through us all.