PDA

View Full Version : New Italian government ends months of deadlock

Baluarte
04-27-2013, 10:15 PM
A new Italian government will be sworn in later today, bringing an end to two months of political uncertainty that has unnerved financial markets.

No single party gained a majority in February's general election and since then the government has spent weeks engaging in futile talks and inconclusive votes.

On Wednesday, president Giorgio Napolitano called upon Enrico Letta of the centre-left Democratic Party to try his hand at forming a coalition government.

Late on Saturday (local time), Mr Letta announced he had been successful.

"[We're satisfied] in terms of the team that we've succeeded in putting together, for the willingness that we've encountered, for the talent that has put itself at the service of the country," he said.

"[There's] satisfaction [also] in terms of the female representation that this government today will be able to show."

The new coalition will bring Mr Letta's party together with their centre-right arch rivals, the People of Freedom Party, which counts former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi as a prominent member.

The scandal-plagued ex-leader will not be in the ministry, but his close ally Angelino Alfano will serve as deputy prime minister and interior minister.

Mr Letta, 46, is promising to focus on improving the economy and unemployment rates, and restoring faith in Italy's discredited political institutions.

He says he will also try to turn Europe away from austerity to focus more on growth and investment.

President Napolitano says this is the only possible government that could be formed.

He urged the coalition to get to work quickly to tackle the country's economic problems.

"I hope that this government can get to work quickly in the spirit of fervent cooperation and without any prejudice or conflict," he said.

The cabinet will be sworn in later this evening (AEST), before a parliamentary vote of confidence expected on Monday.

The major ministries are dominated by lower profile politicians or technocrats, which could limit their power to pass unpopular measures and leave a powerful backstage role for Mr Berlusconi.

Italy is the eurozone's third-largest economy and the deadlock has been threatening investor confidence and halting efforts to end the nation's recession.

Bond yields have fallen to their lowest in more than two years as investors hope for enough stability to help Italy revive its economy and gradually tackle its large public debt.

Baluarte
04-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Soltanto per ricordare:

----------------------------------------------------------
Lusi tira in ballo Enrico Letta. Anche lui mi chiedeva soldi
Giovedì, 24 maggio 2012 - 08:23:00

Quando pagava come Margherita spese elettorali non venivano aggirati i tetti di spesa? Io pagavo perché mi dicevano di pagare, non conoscevo il perché. E' una delle tante risposte che, riferiscono fonti parlamentari, Luigi Lusi ha fornito questa sera durante la sua audizione alla Giunta per le immunità di palazzo Madama. A cosa servivano i soldi che lei erogava a dirigenti della Margherita? Per fare - questa la risposta - attività politica, credo. Non sempre potevo verificare che il bene per cui pagavo la fattura venisse erogato.

Per il senatore domande a raffica: ma qualcuno del partito si rendeva conto che uscivano grosse somme che costituivano investimenti fiduciari? Non me ne hanno mai chiesto conto, la replica di Lusi. L'ex tesoriere della Margherita ha confermato le accuse lanciate la settimana scorsa. Il pagamento delle fatture avvenivano con il consenso di tutti, ha osservato. Ha confermato di aver pagato due fatture a Renzi, ha citato anche Enrico Letta tra i leader popolari cui pagava fatture. Tutti i beni intestati a me e ai miei familiari - ha sottolineato - sono a disposizione della Margherita cui - ha fatto notare - ho chiesto di procedere all'intestazione, ma non l'hanno ancora fatto, erano affidati - ha aggiunto - a me in via fiduciaria. Pochi altri dettagli.

L'ex tesoriere della Margherita ha detto che sarebbe stato piu' preciso se avesse con se' le carte che pero' ha lasciato - ha chiarito - presso la Margherita e senza fare le fotocopie. Lusi ha anche sostenuto, spiegano sempre le stesse fonti, di non aver mai saputo che la fondazione Centro Futuro sostenibile desse dei soldi all'Api. Poi un paio di affondi. Il primo: se il tribunale del riesame - ha osservato sempre secondo quanto viene riferito - respinge la mia richiesta la prima delle tante cose che faro' e' chiedere che il giornalista Franco Bechis sia sentito. Il secondo: sedute intorno a questo tavolo - ha riferito senza fare nomi dei presenti - vi sono persone che erano presenti alla cerimonia del mio matrimonio..