PDA

View Full Version : a european student run Club

Rachel
09-04-2009, 01:19 AM
So today in one of the other threads i mentioned that at my current university in Towson Maryland there was no european culture club represented at my school well i would like to change that.

and i would like some advice as to how.. i know a majority of it has to do with the school their rules/policies etc but what do you think would work for running the group? what the group does/doesnt do ?

how can i make it so that i am accepted by the school while administering to the needs of the european culture.

any thoughts/ideas would be welcomed

my first idea is to make it a group of individuals who study european culture and how it can be a major part of ones life...

Aemma
09-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Good on you Rachel! Yes you tread a fine line indeed in launching something like this but it's excellent if you get the support. I think to start small is always best but if your uni has funds for this and has a protocol to be followed that should be your first point of departure.

One good way to get people interested in European culture is to launch a weekly mythology study group. People like that kind of small group atmosphere especially one which fosters learning something tangible as well. A Pub Night is always fun too, sampling beers and perhaps some eats from across Europe which you might be able to run once a month or so.

Hmm it's been a while for me being in a uni setting eh? I'm not sure what else to suggest right now though. :(

But this sounds exciting for sure. Good luck Rachel and have fun with it! :thumb001:

Sol Invictus
09-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Good luck, you'll be labelled as skin head neo nazi racists quicker than anything else and have your advertisements ripped from the walls before you even know it! Unfortunately, I am probably right. But good luck! We need some pro-activity like this in our schools. But they are basically against what the school system brainwashes you for. Unless it's soley for minorities, a congregation of white folk interested in European matters can only mean hate to the ignorant fools out there.

Fortis in Arduis
09-04-2009, 02:09 AM
European history, ethnogenesis, linguistic origins, political systems and histories, European art, music, folk costumes, pre-Christian religions.

I would suggest that you do not define the group by selective ethnic membership but be inclusive and also look at the history of non-European peoples in Europe as well, because they are part of our history as well.

That pretty much covers everything, and you do not have to exclude non-'white' people to offer a service to the benefit of people of European descent.

Rachel
09-04-2009, 02:11 AM
hmm an mythology group may not be too bad .. study myths and eat european food... hmm irish and norse myths ,... make them the primary studies of lore hmmmmmmm

Rachel
09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
European history, ethnogenesis, linguistic origins, political systems and histories, European art, music, folk costumes, pre-Christian religions.

I would suggest that you do not define the group by selective ethnic membership but be inclusive and also look at the history of non-European peoples in Europe as well, because they are part of our history as well.

That pretty much covers everything, and you do not have to exclude non-'white' people to offer a service to the benefit of people of European descent.

I love it !!! this makes it easier

Fortis in Arduis
09-04-2009, 02:20 AM
I love it !!! this makes it easier

Tell me, is Baltimore just like the movies:

jMs0J1UIaNM

RfUtDmFEL8s

:eek:

Rachel
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
i have no idea because i cant watch thoese you tube videos while at work ;) but if you have evr seen hair spary .. baltimore is just like that

Allenson
09-04-2009, 12:48 PM
ethnogenesis, linguistic origins

Yep, I like these two.

You could have discussions of European prehistory--the spread of the IE languages, what little scraps of evidence that we have of what was spoken in Europe before IE, ancient material cultures of Europe (ie Jastorf, Ertebolle, etc.)....

Even just family geneaolgies that lead back to a European source....genetic genealogy if folks want to cough up a little cash for some of the basic Y-chrom/mtDNA tests....

Me likey idea. :thumbs up

Electronic God-Man
09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I would most likely be killed for trying to start a club for or about Europeans at my university.

Exaggeration aside, you will definitely need to make it clear that membership will be extended to all interested people, not just people of European descent. Sadly, some people will try to make out things from your club that aren't really there. You will likely face a deal of prejudice. Ironic, isn't it?

Fortis in Arduis
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
So what? Just do it and make sure that you have ticked all the diversity boxes, like covering the Jewish and Romani diaspora and make sure that you cover the history and the ethno-diversity aspects. If you study Europe 'warts and all' there is huge breadth, and you want to look at analogous IE culture in India as well as the early pre-IE culture.

It is all so very relevant.

Unless they have travelled, most Americans (and Europeans too) can barely comprehend the diversity (oh I just LOVE that word!!!) of European culture, so I think that such a programme would be so beneficial.

Americans are thirsty for raw ethnoculture, and you learn so much about yourselves from learning about other and similar cultures. Initiating discussion groups with people who have travelled Europe could also be most edifying.

Skandi
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
if your trying to get around the establishment, pitch it as a European food club or European mythology society. Both should be inoculous enough.