PDA

View Full Version : London Mayor Johnson calls for a day of fasting to 'help understand Muslims'

Vulpix
09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Boris Johnson calls for a day of fasting to 'help understand Muslims' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211197/Boris-Johnson-calls-day-fasting-help-understand-Muslims.html)

By Daily Mail Reporter (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter)
Last updated at 2:37 PM on 04th September 2009

London Mayor Boris Johnson today encouraged people to undergo a day of fasting to help them gain a better understanding of their 'Muslim neighbour'.
Speaking during a visit to the East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre he said Muslims in the capital were 'challenging traditional stereotypes' to show they wanted to be part of the mainstream.
Mr Johnson's visit coincided with the holy period of Ramadan in which participating Muslims fast from dawn until sunset.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/04/article-0-064A0753000005DC-458_468x297.jpg

A Muslim family in Clapton, London, celebrates Eid, the end of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting

He said: 'Whether it's in theatre, comedy, sports, music or politics, Muslims are challenging the traditional stereotypes and showing that they are, and want to be, a part of the mainstream community.

'That's why I urge people, particularly during Ramadan, to find out more about Islam, increase your understanding and learning, even fast for a day with your Muslim neighbour and break your fast at the local mosque.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/04/article-0-06461FD3000005DC-302_233x334.jpg

'Challenging stereotypes': London Mayor Boris Johnson has urged non-Muslims to fast for a day so they can understand the religion better

'I would be very surprised if you didn't find that you share more in common than you thought.'
He added: 'Muslims are at the heart of every aspect of society. Their contribution is something that all Londoners benefit from.

'Muslim police officers, doctors, scientists and teachers are an essential part of the fabric of London.
'Islamic finance is contributing to the economy by changing the way Londoners invest, save, borrow and spend.
'There are valuable lessons that people of all backgrounds can learn from Islam such as the importance of community spirit, family ties, compassion and helping those less fortunate, all of which lie at the heart of the teachings of Ramadan.

Earlier in the day Mr Johnson got into a spot of bother after calling a radio DJ 'a great big blubbering jelly of indecision'.
He was being interviewed by Nick Ferrari on London radio station LBC 97.3 over the ongoing row over who runs the Met.

One of his deputies had told The Guardian that the Conservatives in the capital now had their 'hands on the tiller' of Britain's biggest force.
The mayor insisted the quotes had been over-hyped but following repeated questioning from Mr Ferrari about whether he had 'admonished' the deputy in question Mr Johnson blurted out his remark.
Mr Johnson had earlier told the programme: 'Sir Paul Stephenson, as everybody knows is in full operational control of the Met and has been ever since his appointment and does a first class job.'

Treffie
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Posted here by Wat, 2 minutes earlier.:p

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=92326#post92326

Poltergeist
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
For some time I entertained the idea of dropping the habit eating altogether. A tiresome habit.

Loki
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
How about Muslims eat some bacon to help them understand their non-Muslim neighbours? :coffee:

Cato
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
The barbarians and their willing supporters keep insisting that it's non-barbarians who've got to understand them. What about the other way around? Why don't they express any desire to adjust to our cultures and throw away their old and worn-out religious commands?

Frigga
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Ah, but they couldn't eat bacon. That is a dietary restriction. Western cultures don't have these dietary restrictions, so how could that be beneficial for them? They'd be risking eternal damnation just to appease us Westerners for this short time on earth. How dare we be so selfish as to want to have them risk eternity for our selfish egos! Us fasting is not interfering with any religious strictures in our lives, so we're not risking our immortal souls by fasting for a day. We need to be more understanding of the very great sacrifices that Muslims make every day just by deigning to mingle with us barbarians.

:rolleyes2:

Cato
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
It's acceptance and tolerance now, but what of the future? How much longer before the tolerant mask comes off and the barbarians show themselves for what they are? As was said by a certain Jew named Jesus, one cannot have two masters. The one master, tolerance and peaceful co-existence, must invariably be crushed by Allah.

Germanicus
09-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Muslims do not bother me, and i do not bother muslims... i try to ignore them. To me they do not exist........and some blond haired idiot in London wants me to go without food for a day to try to understand them?.......he's having a laugh, honestly...:)

Fortis in Arduis
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Perhaps Boris Johnson could try fasting for one hour? ;)

Germanicus
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Perhaps Boris Johnson could try fasting for one hour? LOL

Actually Boris Johnson is'nt a bad chap, he can read Latin and is very knowledgeable about Rome..........he just needs to get a grip with reality..

Sol Invictus
09-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the secret organizations and the banksters that control politicians do not have the best interests of native Britons or any westerner at heart. This is a conspiracy of their part to destroy the identities of us, brainwash the un-awakened through the corporate controlled media, and push this kind of garbage that if we don't adopt the customs of foreigners then we are right-wing terrorists and extremists who want nothing more than to maintain our way of life, and if you don't like it, they'll sick the Police and Military on you.