PDA

View Full Version : Automatic or Manual Car?

Vulpix
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
So here's another car topic :p:

Do you prefer automatic or manual transmission in your car? Motivate your answer :).

Sol Invictus
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Manual.. Feels like I am driving a race car .. :dance nerd

But a bit of a pain in the arse in the city..

Absinthe
12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Being lazy and illiterate when it comes to driving, I opt for automatic :D

Æmeric
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Automatic. I never mastered driving manual transmission, maybe because I'm left-handed & in the US you have to shift with the right. Maybe I would do better at manual in the UK.:chin:

Lady L
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
I drove manual's when I was younger. They were fun but not so much fun in traffic. There was always this little hill with a red light that I would get caught at and I remember trying not to roll back while waiting...:p

Now days its all automatic for me, good thing, cause my kids get to much of my attention to shift...:wink

SwordoftheVistula
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I learned on manual, then had an automatic for a while, then drove a truck with manual for a while, and recently switched back to automatic.

Automatic is much better when stuck in traffic, also for someone like me with ADD there's always that one time in a hundred when I forget and screw something up.

WinterMoon
12-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Definitely manual. Traffic isn't so bad in one, but your calf muscle sure gets a workout. :thumb001:

Beorn
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Much like SOVs answer. I have preferred driving automatic as my attention is terrible and it takes me all my energy to concentrate on the road.

Plus I am lazy and can't be bothered to shift gear all the time.

My last car was automatic and it would only go straight into reverse and nothing else unless patiently waited upon.
It could sometimes be persuaded to get into drive by revving up hard and loud, but as I didn't have a licence, tax, insurance or a clue, it wasn't best to do that.

Me and that car parted ways after some cyclist smashed my front window with his head. I dumped it soon after and vacated the island. :D

Stormraaf
12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Automatic, but there are some situations in which I prefer to have control over the gears (overtaking, driving uphill, driving downhill).

Automatic. I never mastered driving manual transmission, maybe because I'm left-handed & in the US you have to shift with the right. Maybe I would do better at manual in the UK.:chin:
I'm right-handed and in SA you shift with the left (like in the UK), and it's no problem for me. I think it would even feel weird having to shift with my dominant hand, instead of keeping it on the steering wheel.

Oisín
12-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Manual. Unless you're a woman or a terrible driver there is no excuse for driving an automatic :D

SwordoftheVistula
12-17-2008, 06:15 AM
The soft drink thread reminded me of another reason I hate manual: nothing is more annoying than having a 48 oz soft drink (too big for cup holder) in one hand, a big sloppy sandwich that will fall apart if you release your grip on it in the other...and all of a sudden having to try and switch gears.

Vulpix
12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
:laugh:

You're not supposed to eat big sloppy sandwiches while driving :D!

But yeah, sometimes I drink water while driving, and it happens I have to decide quickly where to put the bottle while I shift gears :tongue...

The soft drink thread reminded me of another reason I hate manual: nothing is more annoying than having a 48 oz soft drink (too big for cup holder) in one hand, a big sloppy sandwich that will fall apart if you release your grip on it in the other...and all of a sudden having to try and switch gears.

LOL. I have to say in my experience there are plenty of shockingly lousy male drivers :eek:! Lousy driver to me is slow and/or unpredictable :tongue.

Manual. Unless you're a woman or a terrible driver there is no excuse for driving an automatic :D

HawkR
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
But yeah, sometimes I drink water while driving, and it happens I have to decide quickly where to put the bottle while I shift gears :tongue...

Between your legs? (Please don't misunderstand:P)

No, I like manual, and automatic, but mostly manual. It's the way you can control at least something made by Babylon:P

Arrow Cross
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Manual. Being a lowlife that I am, the only time I ever drove a car was back then when I was a kid and when my father still had one. Good ole Wartburg. :D

Treffie
12-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Manual, automatics are a rarity in the UK - hate them!

Skandi
12-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Not many automatics here and I've only driven one and it was a 1985 Volvo 340 which meant it had a CVT drive, in other words it ran on two elastic bands. Giving it no separate gears as such but a variable transmission, did mean that it didn't creep in drive but I have to admit that it still felt like point and pray driving. I like my manual, much more control. Most of my driving is done in town and it really isn't a problem I don't even notice the gears or clutch anymore it's totally instinct (until you try to pull away in third and she complains :()

Vulpix
12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
I appreciate being able to choose the gear :D. I like the "enhanced" control I have over the speed with a manual transmission, and being able to slow down by shifting down gears :p.

Skandi
12-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Now slowing on the gears is great when...

There's some A hole climbing into your boot, because you suddenly slow withiout your breaklights coming on. It's so much fun seeing their faces. BTW I have an estate with a tow bar so it's not me thats going to get damanged!

Jägerstaffel
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Manual. You're more in control of the vehicle.

Automatics make me forget I'm driving ... sometimes I think I could fall asleep behind the wheel of one.

Artorius
10-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I am comfortable with both. My first car was manual, everything since has been automatic.

Manual. You're more in control of the vehicle.

True. Driving an automatic is like driving a big golf cart.

Tabiti
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
For some reason people here prefer manual cars, because the repair of the automatic gears cost more as they say.. I've never driven an automatic one.

Atlas
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I've only driven an automatic once, it was nice in traffic like the others said, it was a short ride and I didn't get to the countryside, but it must be true that you might fall asleep.

I learned on a manual anyway, it's mandatory here.

Frigga
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I learned on a manual, and really liked it. :) Something that I liked about it was if the battery died, you were able to push start it instead of having to be jumped. Quite nice, since it happened to me a couple of times. :embarrassed

Haven't had one in years, I've only driven automatics since I had to get rid of the car I learned on. :(

Germanicus
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
:laugh:

You're not supposed to eat big sloppy sandwiches while driving :D!

LOL. I have to say in my experience there are plenty of shockingly lousy male drivers :eek:! Lousy driver to me is slow and/or unpredictable :tongue.

I would be interested to know how many miles/kilometres you drive every working day, you mirror hogging, makeup checking girlie,...:D

Lars
10-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Automatic is for people with an intelligence below average in shit built cars.
Manual is the sensble choice.
Bicycles are for Übermenschen.

Octothorpe
10-07-2009, 02:12 AM
I learned stick as a farm-boy, but frankly it's sheer machismo to continue keep driving manual these days. The supposed gas savings are miniscule, at best. Automatics are simple, easy, and ubiquitous.

Eldritch
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't drive, but if I did it would be mandatory for medical reasons to have automatic transmission. Although I'd prefer stick.

Peterski
11-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Now I have Automatic in my new car, and so far I like it.

Teutone
11-19-2020, 04:07 PM
manual always so far

frankhammer
11-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Automatic in vans for city driving. Manual for cars and everything else.

stellan
11-19-2020, 04:31 PM
both ;)

Tannhauser
11-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Manual, is so hot being in charge.

https://media.giphy.com/media/is1phHwLNTFXq/giphy.gif

Ylla
11-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Manual

Malagueña
11-19-2020, 05:26 PM