PDA

View Full Version : Is Maltese closer to Arabic or Sicilian?

alfieb
05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Malta1066falzon could much better demonstrate how the language looks, so I'll just leave the floor open to discussion rather than trying to steer it one way or the other.

YeshAtid
05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Physically as well?

Philo
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Why did'nt you add a poll?

alfieb
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Physically as well?
No, we're only talking about the language, written and spoken, not phenotype.

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Malta1066falzon could much better demonstrate how the language looks, so I'll just leave the floor open to discussion rather than trying to steer it one way or the other.

O GOD, I COVERED THIS SUBJECT LIKE A MILLION TIMES.

YES OKAY MALTESE IS ARABIC, MALTESE PEOPLE ARE ARABS, MALTESE CULTURE IS ARABIC, WE SHOVE KEBABS UP OUR ASSES LIKE GOOD MUSLIMS.

over reacted much?

Philo
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
No, we're only talking about the language, written and spoken, not phenotype.

Yeah I know that. You should have added a poll and we could see what people think.

alfieb
05-06-2013, 07:35 PM

YES OKAY MALTESE IS ARABIC, MALTESE PEOPLE ARE ARABS, MALTESE CULTURE IS ARABIC, WE SHOVE KEBABS UP OUR ASSES LIKE GOOD MUSLIMS.

But there was never a poll before now. :rolleyes:

Remove kebab. Insert kannoli.

alfieb
Yeah I know that. You should have added a poll and we could see what people think.
There is a poll. It's called replying too soon.

YeshAtid
it seems to be a fusion

Philo
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
There is a poll. It's called replying too soon.

OK. Sorry.

ariel
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
are maltese language related to phoenician or punic language?

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
50% Romance, 40% Siculo-Arabic, 10% Germanic.

Most function words: Siculo Arabic

Script: Latin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6G3GHA2T0s

alfieb
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
are maltese language related to phoenician or punic language?
Neither Sicilian nor Maltese have significant Phoenician influence on language, unfortunately. The Semitic influence is strictly from the 200 years Malta was ruled by Arabs from the 800s to 1000s. It is the only living Siculo-Arabic dialect that survived our Catholicization.

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
It's a fucking BURDEN, that's what. They couldn't fuck our women so they decided to leave their mark on our language.

alfieb
05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
It's a fucking BURDEN, that's what. They couldn't fuck our women so they decided to leave their mark on our language.

You're a very conservative people. Even moreso than we are. That was your own undoing in that regard.

A shame the influence of your beloved Knights was rather minimal.

Szegedist
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
What grammar is the language?

Peyrol
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
It's an hybrid language, but the romance imput is very strong.

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
You're a very conservative people. Even moreso than we are. That was your own undoing in that regard.

A shame the influence of your beloved Knights was rather minimal.

100 Years ago, a battle of scholars happened, Pro-British/Maltese and Pro-Italian, the pro Maltese won and these pro Maltese decided to make "Maltese" language the National Language of Malta.

Melitae/Malta = an Island with thousands of years under European/Phoenician/Roman/Early Neolithic influence.
Maltese = A mixture of Italian, Sicilian Arabic and Germanic. Sicilian Arabic left by 200 years of oppression.

SKYNET
05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Sicilian. Most of them speak in English as well

alb0zfinest
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM

over reacted much?
Good you finally told the truth :D

Peyrol
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM
100 Years ago, a battle of scholars happened, Pro-British/Maltese and Pro-Italian, the pro Maltese won and these pro Maltese decided to make "Maltese" language the National Language of Malta.

Melitae/Malta = an Island with thousands of years under European/Phoenician/Roman/Early Neolithic influence.
Maltese = A mixture of Italian, Sicilian Arabic and Germanic. Sicilian Arabic left by 200 years of oppression.

...però ricevete le nostre TV e molti di voi parlano perfettamente la nostra lingua...

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 07:59 PM
...però ricevete le nostre TV e molti di voi parlano perfettamente la nostra lingua...

ma vaglielo a dire a sti universitari comunisti jesuiti prof del cazzo :lol:

alfieb
05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
ma vaglielo a dire a sti universitari comunisti jesuiti prof del cazzo :lol:

Comunisti gesuiti? Questo è un ossimoro :rolleyes:

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Comunisti gesuiti? Questo è un ossimoro :rolleyes:

gia :P

Sikeliot
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Arabic grammatically, Sicilian vocabulary wise.

alfieb
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM

At least it's read left-to-right. :lol:

Virtuous
05-06-2013, 08:15 PM
At least it's read left-to-right. :lol:

ancora una volta...gia!

Arbërori
05-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd say it's originally a Romance language, ofcourse, it might have been Arabized, but that doesn't mean shit. :lol:

What matters are genetics, some Levantine here & there, which technically still makes them white. :P

ChocolateFace
05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Much more closer to Sicilian

Portukalos
05-06-2013, 10:14 PM

its basic vocabulary is more Arabic than Italian , it's only its official vocabulary which is said to be more Sicilian. Their basic vocabulary of everyday is Arabic to be more precise. An Italian won't understand anything of an everyday Maltese neighbours conversion. :)

First setence of the human rights in Maltese :

Il-bnedmin kollha jitwieldu ħielsa u ugwali fid-dinjità u d-drittijiet. Huma mogħnija bir-raġuni u bil-kuxjenza u għandhom iġibu ruħhom ma' xulxin bi spirtu ta' aħwa

alfieb
05-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Il-bnedmin kollha jitwieldu ħielsa u ugwali fid-dinjità u d-drittijiet. Huma mogħnija bir-raġuni u bil-kuxjenza u għandhom iġibu ruħhom ma' xulxin bi spirtu ta' aħwa

Plenty of words there of Sicilian origin. The thing is, if they wanted to write it in a way that was more understandable to Romance-speakers, they have words in their language that are in everyday use that they could've gone with. For instance, "hielsa" means the same as "liberu". Both are Maltese words, but one is Sicilian origin, the other Siculo-Arabic origin. "Bnedmin" could've been replaced by "umani", which is the same as the Sicilian word for humans.

ABest
05-07-2013, 04:42 AM
The Maltese language is apparently Semitic, with heavy Latin elements. It's akin to English being Germanic but with heavy Latin (and also Greek) elements.

Also, I've read that it's the only Semitic language in the world to be written in Latin script.

Peyrol
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
its basic vocabulary is more Arabic than Italian , it's only its official vocabulary which is said to be more Sicilian. Their basic vocabulary of everyday is Arabic to be more precise. An Italian won't understand anything of an everyday Maltese neighbours conversion. :)

First setence of the human rights in Maltese :

Virtuous
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Plenty of words there of Sicilian origin. The thing is, if they wanted to write it in a way that was more understandable to Romance-speakers, they have words in their language that are in everyday use that they could've gone with. For instance, "hielsa" means the same as "liberu". Both are Maltese words, but one is Sicilian origin, the other Siculo-Arabic origin. "Bnedmin" could've been replaced by "umani", which is the same as the Sicilian word for humans.

Eżattament, it also depends on who is speaking. Mostly Northeners/non rural people are the ones that use Siculo-Italian vocab, instead of Siculo-Arabic. Words that have been spoken by my Grandpa's generation were replaced by Romance.

For example, my mum says kikkra, I say tazza (cup/mug).

CrystalMaiden
05-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Their language is filled with Jihad sounding words, but they don't write it in the terrorist squigly lines.

Virtuous
05-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Their language is filled with Jihad sounding words, but they don't write it in the terrorist squigly lines.

Look at me, I'm so mad that I'm about to blow up.

CrystalMaiden
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Look at me, I'm so mad that I'm about to blow up.

I wish I could.

Dibs on the kidneys (if they survive the explosions). :coffee:

Virtuous
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I wish I could.

Dibs on the kidneys (if they survive the explosions). :coffee:

okej.

StonyArabia
08-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Arabic

Shah-Jehan
08-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Arabic

It's definitely closer to Arabic as it descends from Siculo-Arabic influenced by Romance...

Wadaad
08-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Sounds like an Arabic creole to me...similar to how the Darija dialect of Tunis has Berber influences vis-a-vis Hassaniya Arabic...Maltese has Latin influences vis-a-vis Siculo-Arabic.

I can understand 20-40% of Maltese based solely on my classical Arabic training.

Philo
08-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep, the Arab jury has decided Maltese is Arabic :D. I know a certain Maltese who would not like the results of this poll. ;)

Dandelion
08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
They speak a language close to Tunisian Arabic and there exists a high degree of mutual intelligibility with Arabic speakers. I don't see why anyone would vote Sicilian, the Arabic-influenced Romance language.

I sadly don't speak Arabic, lack the discipline to learn it, but it wouldn't make sense if it were closer to Sicilian.

Shah-Jehan
08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
They speak a language close to Tunisian Arabic and there exists a high degree of mutual intelligibility with Arabic speakers. I don't see why anyone would vote Sicilian, the Arabic-influenced Romance language.

Some Maltese members here are probably ashamed of speaking a Semitic language or having linguistic similarities with those "terrible" Arabs...

Dandelion
08-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Some Maltese members here are probably ashamed of speaking a Semitic language or having linguistic similarities with those "terrible" Arabs...

Well, it is just language. They have been Christian majority for their entire existence and live under Christian-European rule since 1091 (which a Maltese call would call the year of their 'liberation'). Still, why be ashamed of speaking the a variant of Arabic. It would be great to have a high degree of intelligibility after all those centuries. A sign of civilisation if you ask me.

Shah-Jehan
08-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Well, it is just language. They have been Christian majority for their entire existence and live under Christian-European rule since 1091 (which a Maltese call would call the year of their 'liberation'). Still, why be ashamed of speaking the a variant of Arabic. It would be great to have a high degree of intelligibility after all those centuries. A sign of civilisation if you ask me.
I agree but, I remember some Maltese members say that the language left by the Arabs are sort of a burden or something...I'd have pride in my language, don't know why they talk about it that way, it's not like Christian Arabs don't exist...

Veneda
08-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Malta je Polska :D

King Claus
08-23-2013, 10:56 PM
patato boy and patato woman:1_2:

Virtuous
08-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Mess with my potatoes and you mess with me.

Virtuous
08-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I agree but, I remember some Maltese members say that the language left by the Arabs are sort of a burden or something...I'd have pride in my language, don't know why they talk about it that way, it's not like Christian Arabs don't exist...

- Christianity or Religion has nothing to do with the Maltese language.

- Maltese language is Maltese, not Arab. Just like French is French, not Latin.

- Language isn't part of a gene pool. I don't think Haitians are French Christians if I had to go by your reasoning.

- Yes, the language coincides perfectly with the geographical position, however, it doesn't take away that the Arabic language was an imposed one.

- The only frustrating fact is that the language being intermediate, between two continents (which makes the language quite unique), it is often subject of debate, and with these tedious repetitive debates, people can make up stupid ideas.

kitten
08-25-2013, 07:10 AM

over reacted much?

So I come back....and this is the first thing I see......

:D

kitten
08-25-2013, 07:18 AM

There are two(?) Maltese members here....

Personally I am not ashamed of the native language, it reflects our history. I find it amusing when I go to places like Tunis and people there actually speak to me in Maltese... had a Serbian friend who could speak it very very well too.

Also, I am actually Gozitan, which means I speak an older version / dialect of Maltese which is much much more similar to Arabic.

Maximum Speed
08-25-2013, 07:35 AM
I think maltese people are like sicilians/south italians.
Language is semitic

kitten
08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
If you are really interested in knowing I would suggest reading these:

http://http://www.thinksite.eu/userfiles/file/Content%20-%20PDFs/3_%20%20The%20origin%20of%20the%20Maltese_Language .pdf

http://www.aboutmalta.com/grazio/study2.html

http://www.maltesering.com/maltese_language.asp

Anthropologique
08-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Maltese has elements of both. I voted "Arabic" because Maltese seems to have more affinities in that direction.

Anthropologique
08-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Yes, Arabs are terrible ... aliens from another universe. :D:D